[ROM][2012.04.21]MS2Ginger - Android 2.3.6 now working

Search This thread

skeevydude

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
If anyone wants to help with the camera, all you need to do is install the rom and the Bravo Greenbread. After that, just try replacing libsoccamera.so with whatever camera library you want to try. To give an example with the libkobecamera-- adb push ./libkobecamera.so /system/lib/libsoccamera.so followed by adb shell chmod 0644 /system/lib/libsoccamera.so and reboot. From what I can tell, libcamera.so only detects if the camera is Bayer or SOC, then that calls on libmotocamera.so to then give commands to libsoccamera.so to take the photo. The error is not taking the picture, it actually does that correctly, its taking the picture from the buffer and writing it to the SDCard where the error occurs. That could be either libsoccamera.so or libcameraservice.so causing the problems, they both have errors at that time.

If we can't get it to work the copy\paste library hacks, the only alternative is to recompile Motorola's libsoccamera.so from gingerbread to 3MP, and and accompanying libraries. I figure Quarx's CM7 driver could be a reference point.

I have a bunch to do today, but if someone here could do a bit of research on how to compile individual drivers and report back; it would save me the time and trouble. We really need this rom working. Making MS2 fully work also means MIUI v4, Wajkiui, Argen2Stone and 3Stone, or any 2.3.6 Defy or Milestone2 Rom for that matter since they all have similar frameworks.

And I forgot to add, for those who do want to help. Don't bother with anything Bravo Froyo or CM7. I've tried all combinations with no success. They actually make it glitch and crash. You gotta think outside the box. Just stick with Gingerbread 3MP Motorola phones, because we need a library that understands libmotocamera.so.

Last edited:
Reactions: mataflakitas

mataflakitas

Aug 26, 2010
nuevo leon
work

If anyone wants to help with the camera, all you need to do is install the rom and the Bravo Greenbread. After that, just try replacing libsoccamera.so with whatever camera library you want to try. To give an example with the libkobecamera-- adb push ./libkobecamera.so /system/lib/libsoccamera.so followed by adb shell chmod 0644 /system/lib/libsoccamera.so and reboot. From what I can tell, libcamera.so only detects if the camera is Bayer or SOC, then that calls on libmotocamera.so to then give commands to libsoccamera.so to take the photo. The error is not taking the picture, it actually does that correctly, its taking the picture from the buffer and writing it to the SDCard where the error occurs. That could be either libsoccamera.so or libcameraservice.so causing the problems, they both have errors at that time.

If we can't get it to work the copy\paste library hacks, the only alternative is to recompile Motorola's libsoccamera.so from gingerbread to 3MP, and and accompanying libraries. I figure Quarx's CM7 driver could be a reference point.

I have a bunch to do today, but if someone here could do a bit of research on how to compile individual drivers and report back; it would save me the time and trouble. We really need this rom working. Making MS2 fully work also means MIUI v4, Wajkiui, Argen2Stone and 3Stone, or any 2.3.6 Defy or Milestone2 Rom for that matter since they all have similar frameworks.

And I forgot to add, for those who do want to help. Don't bother with anything Bravo Froyo or CM7. I've tried all combinations with no success. They actually make it glitch and crash. You gotta think outside the box. Just stick with Gingerbread 3MP Motorola phones, because we need a library that understands libmotocamera.so.

With it could help it to taste but I do not have knowledge of system linux I am a novice...:( MIUI v.4 is as the delay of games of ps3.....:D

aleeyt is very good can request aid to him to

Last edited:

skeevydude

Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
With it could help it to taste but I do not have knowledge of system linux I am a novice...:( MIUI v.4 is as the delay of games of ps3.....:D

aleeyt is very good can request aid to him to

I would, but I don't think he can help until his sim card is unlocked. I tried helping, but I don't have access to the family plan account code. What I don't understand is why they require you to have a valid account to get the phone unlocked??? Pretty ridiculous if you ask me. The only way I can help him at this point is to have him send me his phones and go to the ATT Store 2 miles away....but that's a pita sending phones from the Ukraine to Arkansas and back. If he'd pay for the shipping, I'd be able to go to the ATT Store and have them unlock it.

skeevydude

Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
Can someone test attached patch? Did camera work?

!Start with a clean install. !

- restore backup --> system only
- install View attachment 1022270

About to install, at first glance, they appear to be the Froyo drivers. Noticed mot_ise_imager_cfg.bin was missing, I'll add it in and test.

I also going to test only using libcameraservice.so from Froyo and the rest being the Defy camera drivers. Just a hunch, but probably wont' work.

walter79

Recognized Developer
Dec 18, 2006
About to install, at first glance, they appear to be the Froyo drivers. Noticed mot_ise_imager_cfg.bin was missing, I'll add it in and test.

I also going to test only using libcameraservice.so from Froyo and the rest being the Defy camera drivers. Just a hunch, but probably wont' work.

My file was without mot_ise...bin for testing. Normal bravo and milestone 2 froyo did not need this file. only defy need it because of 2 camera. Can you test my patch without add something and with a clean restore of /system ?

Quarxs told me not to use camera libs from defy for motorola roms on bravo.

skeevydude

Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
My file was without mot_ise...bin for testing. Normal bravo and milestone 2 froyo did not need this file. only defy need it because of 2 camera. Can you test my patch without add something and with a clean restore of /system ?

Quarxs told me not to use camera libs from defy for motorola roms on bravo.

I did, but it didn't work. Normally, I'd completely agree with you and Quarx, but the logcat output and how it behaves tells another story. It's completely working, it just doesn't send the camera buffer correctly. Pictures are the correct size they'd normally be if they were correct, but the data gets corrupted from the buffer to jpeg output. Lgcamera even show the preview, it just gets corrupted when saving the image.

I have another thing I'm about to try, and that's replacing /system/framework/com.motorola.android.camera.jar. I'm thinking that using the Froyo framwork camera bootclass file with the Froyo Camera libs might help. I'm downloading BravoX right now to use its deodexed camera.jar since I can't get baksmali.jar to deodex the stock froyo.

I have to help my Dad move our camper and I'm not sure when I'll get to test, but it will be tonight, eventually.;)

walter79

Recognized Developer
Dec 18, 2006
I did, but it didn't work. Normally, I'd completely agree with you and Quarx, but the logcat output and how it behaves tells another story. It's completely working, it just doesn't send the camera buffer correctly. Pictures are the correct size they'd normally be if they were correct, but the data gets corrupted from the buffer to jpeg output. Lgcamera even show the preview, it just gets corrupted when saving the image.

I have another thing I'm about to try, and that's replacing /system/framework/com.motorola.android.camera.jar. I'm thinking that using the Froyo framwork camera bootclass file with the Froyo Camera libs might help. I'm downloading BravoX right now to use its deodexed camera.jar since I can't get baksmali.jar to deodex the stock froyo.

I have to help my Dad move our camper and I'm not sure when I'll get to test, but it will be tonight, eventually.;)

Here you go. deodexed stock froyo

Attachments

• com.motorola.android.camera.jar.7z
    5.4 KB · Views: 18

skeevydude

Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
Here you go. deodexed stock froyo

Didn't work, but the Defy libs boot, still same issues, with the Bravo Froyo com.motorola.android.camera.jar.

I'm gonna search for 3MP Moto GB phones, but there aren't that many. Actually, I've only come across the Defy MINI so far. But, I've only searched for about 10 minutes.

walter79

Recognized Developer
Dec 18, 2006
Didn't work, but the Defy libs boot, still same issues, with the Bravo Froyo com.motorola.android.camera.jar.

I'm gonna search for 3MP Moto GB phones, but there aren't that many. Actually, I've only come across the Defy MINI so far. But, I've only searched for about 10 minutes.

you can use libs from mini. It is a msm device and not a omap.

skeevydude

Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
you can use libs from mini. It is a msm device and not a omap.

I realized that a few minutes after once I found the full product specs. Other than the Defy MINI, I've only found one other Motorola phone that has both the 3MP camera and runs Gingerbread....the Motorola Fire. But I don't think its a 3630 device.

While looking up 3mp gb phones today, I realized that the Droid2, Cliq2, Milestone2, Defy, Bravo are all the same phones with different layouts and keyboards. Hell, the Bravo is the only one with a 3mp camrea, the rest are 5 or 8 mp, makes me feel really screwed over about having a Bravo now.:mad: Apparently, the Milestone2 and Droid2 are the same phone with different names, just ones American and one's international; at least from Motorola's sources, the probably take different sbfs.

What I'd like to know is if any of them happen to have the same bootloader version. The Bravo is 9.12, Defy is 9.10, MS2 is 70.12 (I think), not sure on the others. I'd love to come across a 9.12 GB kernel and flash the image like a Defy "CM7" kernel.

Still nothing new on the camera\tether front. Tethering's gonna be the hardest to figure out since neither logcat (adb) nor ddms show that any errors are occurring.

Reactions: johnnyl33

walter79

Recognized Developer
Dec 18, 2006
I realized that a few minutes after once I found the full product specs. Other than the Defy MINI, I've only found one other Motorola phone that has both the 3MP camera and runs Gingerbread....the Motorola Fire. But I don't think its a 3630 device.

While looking up 3mp gb phones today, I realized that the Droid2, Cliq2, Milestone2, Defy, Bravo are all the same phones with different layouts and keyboards. Hell, the Bravo is the only one with a 3mp camrea, the rest are 5 or 8 mp, makes me feel really screwed over about having a Bravo now.:mad: Apparently, the Milestone2 and Droid2 are the same phone with different names, just ones American and one's international; at least from Motorola's sources, the probably take different sbfs.

What I'd like to know is if any of them happen to have the same bootloader version. The Bravo is 9.12, Defy is 9.10, MS2 is 70.12 (I think), not sure on the others. I'd love to come across a 9.12 GB kernel and flash the image like a Defy "CM7" kernel.

Still nothing new on the camera\tether front. Tethering's gonna be the hardest to figure out since neither logcat (adb) nor ddms show that any errors are occurring.

Motorola Fire = qualcom MSM

tethering: apn setting is correct?

skeevydude

Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
Motorola Fire = qualcom MSM

tethering: apn setting is correct?

Haven't found any camera that fit the requirements, only cameras for non-motorola devices. Reading the init scripts, /system/bin/mediaserver is part of the camera group, and is one of the few things where the camera is mentioned on boot up. Replacing that with the Froyo or CM7 causes the rom to freeze on boot, same as adding the camera driver. Do you happen to know what libraries and other files accompany mediaserver? I'm just adding in everything that's possibly camera related at this point and hoping for the best. All I know is that some file some where doesn't like the Kobe camera driver, or mediaserver apparently.

Apn is correct, used CM7's which works perfectly. Our last CM9's tethering didn't work either, but when viewing logcat you could see usb_mode_switch errors. The only thing on logcat I'm getting when activating tether is the graphics drawing the screen, nothing more.

I've been a bit busy lately, helping a freind whose getting married tomorrow, so I haven't had much time to mess with the rom, maybe an hour a day if I'm lucky, but it has been my primary rom for a while, and runs great other than camera and tethering.

Would it be possible to just replace the blur apps\system apps for the Bravo's stock Froyo, and add in Defy Gingerbread libraries where necessary? Just thinking of a different approach to the problems. Since the wedding is tomorrow, I probably won't be back on here until Sunday....Hungover. Got a fifth of Parrot Bay 90 Proof. Usually drink Jose Cuervo, so rums gonna be different change of pace.

walter79

Recognized Developer
Dec 18, 2006
Haven't found any camera that fit the requirements, only cameras for non-motorola devices. Reading the init scripts, /system/bin/mediaserver is part of the camera group, and is one of the few things where the camera is mentioned on boot up. Replacing that with the Froyo or CM7 causes the rom to freeze on boot, same as adding the camera driver. Do you happen to know what libraries and other files accompany mediaserver? I'm just adding in everything that's possibly camera related at this point and hoping for the best. All I know is that some file some where doesn't like the Kobe camera driver, or mediaserver apparently.

Apn is correct, used CM7's which works perfectly. Our last CM9's tethering didn't work either, but when viewing logcat you could see usb_mode_switch errors. The only thing on logcat I'm getting when activating tether is the graphics drawing the screen, nothing more.

I've been a bit busy lately, helping a freind whose getting married tomorrow, so I haven't had much time to mess with the rom, maybe an hour a day if I'm lucky, but it has been my primary rom for a while, and runs great other than camera and tethering.

Would it be possible to just replace the blur apps\system apps for the Bravo's stock Froyo, and add in Defy Gingerbread libraries where necessary? Just thinking of a different approach to the problems. Since the wedding is tomorrow, I probably won't be back on here until Sunday....Hungover. Got a fifth of Parrot Bay 90 Proof. Usually drink Jose Cuervo, so rums gonna be different change of pace.

I released 4.0 for defy. We can try to get camera working. maybe we should replace camera files with original motorola bravo froyo files.

skeevydude

Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
I released 4.0 for defy. We can try to get camera working. maybe we should replace camera files with original motorola bravo froyo files.

The froyo libs cause it to freeze on boot.....Personally, I can live w\o the camera as it takes crappy photos anyways (except for the new CM9 libs), but the entitlement check with tethering is what keeps me from using this rom, seriously. Basically it phones home to see if you've paid the $20 a month to tether, and if you don't, you can't tether. That'll just take some playing around with settings.apk's smali code to fix, I believe.

While I have something else I'm working on at the moment, I'll give it another try (in a few days) for the camera since I've learned a bit more from the last attempt. If I remember correctly, liboemcamera.so checks for red or green lens and directs the camera to the proper library for decoding -- since the Bravo is green lens it sends us to libsoccamera.so which will only process VGA video for the Bravo. Simply renaming libkobecamera.so to libbayercamera.so or libsoccamera.so doesn't work and will freeze on initializing the camera.

I have a hunch that the problem is in one of the framework jars not loading the froyo driver correctly or an /etc/permission error -- I've heard about other ports' cameras not working because of the flash xml and autofocus xml files.

Well, off to make coffee and go to work.

Reactions: PsyClip-R

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I assume no liability for any damage to your phone!

You can use my complete rom or parts of it to make your own rom. Only post a small thanks on your owm thread.

Big thanks to: iaio72, spear1403, tgzw, Quarx, Simondo, ein1002, santimanuel, skeevy420 and ...

Language support for final MS2Ginger 4.0 --> da, de, el, en, es, fi, fr, hr, hu, id, it, nb, nl, pl, pt, pt-BR, sv, th, ti, vi, zh_CH, zh_TW + arabic* and ru*

Big thanks to skeevy420 for working GreenbreadMod for Motorola Bravo

MS2Ginger 4.0 - beta 4: 11.apr.2012 please report problems

- based on 3.0
    - MS2Ginger can used as 2nd-system (tested on GB kernel only) !! system image file have to be >= 350 MB
    - Beta 4 is for Bayer Defy not tested on green (soc) defy and defy +
    - multibootmanger app by royale1223
    - new bootmenu 1.1.8, CWM 5.0.5/6, multiboot big thanks to m11kkaa
    - 2 way to boot the rom: normal and via 2nd-init (default)
    - new reboot option form cm7.2 --> trigger: all keys at the same time vol- , vol+ , power
    - disabled blurhome rotation
    - button backlight can set from 10-100 % via build.prop
    - and more

Download ROM and BlurApps: !! Camcorder works Camera not !!

Mirror 1 (google)
    Mirror 2 (mediafire)

GREENBREADMOD: View attachment GreenBreadBravo-4.5.3-DPP-14.zip

More information http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25085903&postcount=3838

If you like MS2Ginger feel free to donate! Donations will be used to purchase a Defy with SOC camera (green lens)

Timeline:

21.04.12 - new greenbreadMod for Bravo by skeevy420
    20.04.12 - MS2Ginger 4.0 beta 4 + new greenbreadmod
    05.02.12 - MS2Ginger 3.0 release
    02.02.12 - MS2Ginger 3.0 thread adjustments
    26.01.12 - MS2Ginger 3.0 NG - RC http://beta-ms2ginger.4shared.com/
    10.01.12 - Information about MS2Ginger 3.0
    07.01.12 - Petition for unlock the bootloader
    07.01.12 - Petition for unlock the bootloader
    31.12.11 - MS2Ginger 3.0 base rom TEST 3
    15.12.11 - MS2Ginger 3.0 base rom TEST 2
    13.12.11 - MS2Ginger 3.0 base rom TEST
    12.12.11 - MS2Ginger 2.1 new Arabic language support for MS2Ginger2.1
    04.12.11 - MS2Ginger ALL SSL certificates update --> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1375992
    04.12.11 - MS2Ginger 2.1 and Lite 2.0 DEFY red and DEFY+ kernel update - from 4.5.2-109 DHT-22 View attachment 804956
    01.12.11 - MS2Ginger 2.1 and Lite 2.0 add SWYPE, avi-fix, update spellchecking and tts http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=19876127&postcount=1765
    23.11.11 - MS2Ginger 2.1 and Lite 2.0 3d performance update !! only red and defy+ !! http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=19608927&postcount=1523
    21.11.11 - MS2Ginger 2.1 added green lens backup
    21.11.11 - MS2Ginger 2.1 and Lite 2.0 new install instruction
    19.11.11 - MS2Ginger 2.1 for defy and defy+
    Patch and updates for current release

1. none for MS2Ginger 4.0

HOW to INSTALL:

Do not restore boot, devtree or logo from nandroid backup!

To begin:
    1. Put the Nandroid backup folder MS2Ginger on the SDCard in this folder: /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup
    2. Put "GreenBreadBravo-4.5.3-DPP-14.zip" to the root of your sdcard
    -------------------------------------------------------
    1. Root your Bravo and Install BOOTMENU - CWM (2ndInit-Installer 2.0.apk - install 1.0.7) or use this View attachment 792650
    2. REBOOT
    3. run 2nd-init (voldown on blue LED)
    4. Go to "Recovery"
    5. Go to "Latest or Stable or Custom Recovery"
    6. "wipe data and cache"
    7. Go to "Backup and Restore"
    8. Go to "Advance Restore"
    9. Select "MS2Ginger4.0"
    10. "restore system"
    11. Go to "install zip from sdcard"
    12. select and install "GreenBreadBravo-4.5.3-DPP-14.zip"
    13. reboot.
    14. run 2nd-init (voldown on blue LED)
    15. Go to "System"
    16. Go to "Overclock"
      [*]Check CLK / Vsel settings
    17. reboot
    18. Booting up can take a while, max is about 10 minutes.
    19. Charge your phone to 100% and keep it charging for min 1.5 hour after.
    20. Calibrate your battery using the pre installed apps.

Team:

- walter79
    - spear1403 (theming)
    - santiemanuel
    - Defy red lens tests spear1403
    - Defy greens lens tests luciferps and Cristi_10
    - Defy plus tests Dollo73 and free2live
    - Milestone 2 tests Carolinux and Motodoido

Translation Team: (each language max. 4 person) View attachment 806172

Brazillian Portuguese: pupiloalpha , Cassinander , filipeazev

Bulgarian Auris 1.6 vvt-i

Farsi: MMarv

Hungarian: szabof1 , balika01

Polish: yackoo , szacuken , Antszej

Serbian: atomskasarma

Spanish espaciosalter20

Spanish-Argentina YaPeL
    Testing:

- Download 3.0 RC from beta mirror http://beta-ms2ginger.4shared.com/
    - Download greenbreadforbravo.zip http://beta-ms2ginger.4shared.com/
    - Install latest 2nd-init - Root your Bravo and Install BOOTMENU - CWM (2ndInit-Installer 2.0.apk - install 1.0.7) or use this View attachment 792650
    - wipe data and cache
    - restore MS2Ginger 3.0 RC "only sytem"
    - install greenbreadbravo.zip via recovery

Camera need some fixes.

- replace /system/lib/libcamera.so with the file from Bravo CM7
    - replace camera wrapper /system/etc/mot_ise_imager_cfg.bin with Bravo CM7 file
    - replace /system/bin/battd with CM7 file

If all work i will make a patch for the MS2Ginger 3.0 final.
    I tried that and it didn't work. I'll try to investigate it later tonight, have some work to go do. If it helps, I had the same problem with cm72 cherry picks & logcat had an error with libmotousb,

check apn config. apn typ: default, dun, mms you need dun for tethering
    Can someone test my MS2Ginger 4.0 beta 4 with new greenbread mod?

Rom can found in defy section.

greenbread mod: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=24770601

Install:

- wipe data and cache
    - advance restore (system only)
    - flash greenbreadmod zip (install via zip

Please report if it work or not.
    Hi walter, should I use the same greenbreadmod file?

Instead where should I find it?

try the defy greenbread for 4.0.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=24770601&postcount=3735