Sony Tablets Forum

Search This thread

derf09

Jan 24, 2009
Sony Tablet S update to 3.2 !!!!

I have been using my Sony Tablet S for a couple of days and it's awesome. I got on it this morning and a 3.2 system upgrade notification popped up! I'm now running on 3.2!!! I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong area.

Jun 26, 2010
Awesome, you must be joking!

Awesome - you are surely joking.

1) DLNA 'throw' is incompatible with most devices (including PS3, LOL)

2) The memory card only works as a 'transfer' device - you can not accessit directly from inside an app (epic fail for me and my 32Gb of music on an SD card, that will not fit in my 16Gb Tablet S, and shouldn't need to)

3) adb for android development is not supported and so I can't even test my apps on the thing

Most epic fail android tablet ever.

derf09

Jan 24, 2009
No I wasn't joking I was giving my opinion of the tablet from what I have used or experienced with it. Just like you gave your OPINION! I have tried the dlna with my VAIO and it does work (LOL)but not on my PS3 so can not comment on that. I have a 32gb SD card in mine and can access all my files with a file manager app, so I have been able to listen to my music and watch my movies that are on my card without a problem. The remote app is very awesome and controls my TV, surround sound and DVR's in my living roomand bedroom. It might not be the tablet for you and maybe some others but to say epic fail.. for you maybe but not everyone.

Reactions: ps3taker

sixthday

Feb 28, 2006
Yes. Let's root it. It is an awsome device and let's make it better.

BTW: ADB does supported.

See here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=17624941#post17624941

The following procedure has confirmed that ubuntu 11.04.

1. Enable debug mode for sony tablet S

2. Add line /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="054c", MODE="0666", GROUP="plugdev"

3. Change file mode

sudo chmod a+r /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules

4. Add line idVendor to ~/.android/adb_usb.ini

0x054C

5. adb kill-server ; sudo adb start-server

6. finish! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: ps3taker

Jpku

Dec 19, 2010
No I wasn't joking I was giving my opinion of the tablet from what I have used or experienced with it. Just like you gave your OPINION! I have tried the dlna with my VAIO and it does work (LOL)but not on my PS3 so can not comment on that. I have a 32gb SD card in mine and can access all my files with a file manager app, so I have been able to listen to my music and watch my movies that are on my card without a problem. The remote app is very awesome and controls my TV, surround sound and DVR's in my living roomand bedroom. It might not be the tablet for you and maybe some others but to say epic fail.. for you maybe but not everyone.

Hey there:) I got the Sony Tablet S in Japan over the weekend, and it's a sweet little device. I've been burned by faulty iphones in the past, so I thought I'd try something different. I went for the 32gb option, but after installing and transferring podcasts and the whole works, it's not going to be enough! What app file manager are you using? ...Really glad I didn't go for the 16gb option.

I've had no problems with the remote control app, and really like the Android Utorrent remote access app. My only beef with it would be the slow rotating response time which gives a bit of a "cheap" feel to the interface, but overall it's a cool device!

jkr284

Mar 3, 2008
Worksop
Hey there:) I got the Sony Tablet S in Japan over the weekend, and it's a sweet little device. I've been burned by faulty iphones in the past, so I thought I'd try something different. I went for the 32gb option, but after installing and transferring podcasts and the whole works, it's not going to be enough! What app file manager are you using? ...Really glad I didn't go for the 16gb option.

I've had no problems with the remote control app, and really like the Android Utorrent remote access app. My only beef with it would be the slow rotating response time which gives a bit of a "cheap" feel to the interface, but overall it's a cool device!

You want to be using "File manager HD" to search for files on the SD Card. I also use "mx video player Pro" which you set to search the sd card folders by default for movies etc!

shawnten

Mar 21, 2008
Yorktown
quick question guys I really want to buy this thing but I cant get a real answer as to the sd card transferring and playing media from the it. If i have a video on my sd card can i play it from the sd card or do i have to transfer to the hard drive of the tablet. thank you to anyone that can help

Bojanglez

May 21, 2010
quick question guys I really want to buy this thing but I cant get a real answer as to the sd card transferring and playing media from the it. If i have a video on my sd card can i play it from the sd card or do i have to transfer to the hard drive of the tablet. thank you to anyone that can help

I think the posts above cover this. You can not play video off the SD Card using the default Video player included with the tablet, but there are third party apps that you can downlod from the App Market that will play video from the SD card.

anyone have problem with the SD card keep getting remove? i have a kingston 16gb class 10 SDHC inserted, but after a few hours it say SD card removed... but the card is still clicked in the slot...

also which player is best for encoding rmvb videos? i tried a few, some are either lag, or is very blur...

one more question, which image viewer is best for pictures on SD card cause the "file transfer" app can only view picture one by one... cant swipe to next picture. i tried using astro file manager, i can swipe to next picture but it makes the pictures blurry.

Jpku

Dec 19, 2010
Thanks heaps for your help, I'm off on a trip soon and wanna pack as many videos into an SD card as I can, and MX Player seems to do the trick (I got the free version for now but it's great enough). Cheers again for the tips!

Just on the video, I use Any Video Converter, and followed someone's advice to convert to a Motorola Zoom tablet. These settings work fine, but does anyone have any full details of the video specs so I can get the maximum resolution? Sorry about the questions, but the Japanese language manual I got was pretty damn short of information about the product itself...It's basically just a guide to the main features!

Tergazzi

Sep 22, 2011
Does anyone know if you can hook a external hard drive up to this and play media directly from the external? I know you can with the SD Card, but wasnt sure if the USB port will allow it or not. I ask cause i have a 500gb External full of movies, tv shows and music, that i would rather carry as opposed to try and figure out what i might want to watch or listen to later, and then transfer them to a SD card.

jkr284

Mar 3, 2008
Worksop
Does anyone know if you can hook a external hard drive up to this and play media directly from the external? I know you can with the SD Card, but wasnt sure if the USB port will allow it or not. I ask cause i have a 500gb External full of movies, tv shows and music, that i would rather carry as opposed to try and figure out what i might want to watch or listen to later, and then transfer them to a SD card.

The Tablet S wont power an external hard drive. i do wonder if it will read one though

derf09

Jan 24, 2009
anyone have problem with the SD card keep getting remove? i have a kingston 16gb class 10 SDHC inserted, but after a few hours it say SD card removed... but the card is still clicked in the slot...

also which player is best for encoding rmvb videos? i tried a few, some are either lag, or is very blur...

one more question, which image viewer is best for pictures on SD card cause the "file transfer" app can only view picture one by one... cant swipe to next picture. i tried using astro file manager, i can swipe to next picture but it makes the pictures blurry.
I'm not sure about the SD issues that you are having because I haven't experienced any issues with mine. I'm using a 32gb SanDisk. The app I use for picture viewing is called Quick Pic and in the settings you can add the folder sdcard2 and it will access your pictures without transferring them.

I'm not sure about the SD issues that you are having because I haven't experienced any issues with mine. I'm using a 32gb SanDisk. The app I use for picture viewing is called Quick Pic and in the settings you can add the folder sdcard2 and it will access your pictures without transferring them.

Haha, I just download that from market today, it have the feature I want but is not as smooth as the built in image viewer... hope it will improve soon...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Can we have forum for Sony Tablets now?

sent via rooted Xperia aRc :)
    Root?

Has anyone found a way to root it?
    Yes. Let's root it. It is an awsome device and let's make it better.

BTW: ADB does supported.

See here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=17624941#post17624941

The following procedure has confirmed that ubuntu 11.04.

1. Enable debug mode for sony tablet S

2. Add line /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="054c", MODE="0666", GROUP="plugdev"

3. Change file mode

sudo chmod a+r /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules

4. Add line idVendor to ~/.android/adb_usb.ini

0x054C

5. adb kill-server ; sudo adb start-server

6. finish! :D
    Thanks it was not showing up in "type to find your device"

yeah I found that too. Sony Tablet Z didn't work but Xperia Tablet Z did :D