Iconia tab A100 screen flicker/rotating settings

Search This thread

pabdaddy1995

Feb 7, 2008
I just picked up 1 of 2 A100's on BF at Walmart. And the unit I got had been opened with the writing "Display" on the box. Since walmart was willing to match Best Buys price of 189.99 I felt it was worth the risk as these are somewhat difficult to get. Even at the higher prices. So, I took it home and plugged it in. It did boot fine the first time. However, after the second boot something strange started happening. In the lower right hand corner the battery/wifi connection box would continuously pop up and go away repeatedly. It would also bring up the settings window almost as if someone was continously touching the screen i guess.

I then did a factory reset and the first boot was fine. However, when i turned it back on it started doing it again.

It appears that the Iconia Tab has a screen flicker issue but I'm curious if that is what I'm seeing. And if so what are my options? I would like to keep the thing and don't want to pay full price. So should I call acer, return to walmart when they have inventory, or is there a fix out there.

mattius10

Sep 5, 2007
Me thinks you should of bought the 2nd, unopened unit. Buying an open box item is always risky and I'm surprised you didn't pay less than $189.

I would bring it back and return it. Wait for a new one...sounds like this one might have taken a fall or two?

I doubt you would have to pay full price...besides, BB's prices are good until Sunday...you could call 15 Wal-Mart's and find one by then.

pabdaddy1995

Feb 7, 2008
i had no choice i was second in line.....no worries though i found another walmart that had one left at 10am and returned it for an unopened one.

marvin2k

Feb 5, 2009
I bought an 8GB A100 unit a month ago here in Italy and it is starting this weird behaviour since a week too. I cannot replicate the problem all the times. Sometimes it works perfectly, sometimes it starts clicking like crazy and opening panels and apps all by itself.
When this happened, I tried to light shake it in case of false contacts, but this doesn't seemed to stop the clicking. Also I tried to super clean the surface of the tablet blaming on excessive grease or moist, but got no improvements.
I noticed that this tends to happen more when I switch it on after a walk with the A100 in my coat's pocket, but if I use it when it is on my desk, most of times it works with no problems.
I can't decide if returning the unit or not. A month is passed and returning policies here are not granting users as much as in the US. Expecially if the problem can't be reproduced "on demand".
I don't know what to do.. maybe trying a reset could help, but as I can see from pabdaddy1995, not too much. Let's hope a firmware update can solve this.
Ciao from Claudio

Last edited:

m2b999

Nov 26, 2011
Towson
pabdaddy1995, marvin2k,

This is the same problem that I've faced after installing swiftkey keyboard.

After removing it, it worked perfectly!!!!

There is something you guys are doing and you might ignored it or you didn't pay attention to that caused this problem.

Try deleting/ uninstalling new apps you added recently.

Good luck!

6stringandy

Feb 9, 2011
Macon, GA
I just picked up 1 of 2 A100's on BF at Walmart. And the unit I got had been opened with the writing "Display" on the box. Since walmart was willing to match Best Buys price of 189.99 I felt it was worth the risk as these are somewhat difficult to get. Even at the higher prices. So, I took it home and plugged it in. It did boot fine the first time. However, after the second boot something strange started happening. In the lower right hand corner the battery/wifi connection box would continuously pop up and go away repeatedly. It would also bring up the settings window almost as if someone was continously touching the screen i guess.

I then did a factory reset and the first boot was fine. However, when i turned it back on it started doing it again.

It appears that the Iconia Tab has a screen flicker issue but I'm curious if that is what I'm seeing. And if so what are my options? I would like to keep the thing and don't want to pay full price. So should I call acer, return to walmart when they have inventory, or is there a fix out there.

When you say "flicker" do you mean a VERY brief flash, like the speed of a blink of the eye, of some crazy shape?
My A100 has also done this ever since I got it. I swear that every time it happens it looks like my screen is cracked, but upon close examination, there really are no cracks in the screen. No random apps or windows pop up or anything like that, but when the flash occurs, the screen will turn funny colors and a crack in the shape of a funny looking X will appear all in the blink of an eye. But its not very often that this happens, so I'm not really gonna bother with it. Plus it was fresh from the box, never a display.

ummmmm............ could you repeat that?