Xperia PLAY R800x Verizon Update Coming April 30th, 67mb

Search This thread

lightningdude

Oct 9, 2010
It works. Took out my root, then tested it on a root app. Didn't recognize root at all. Restored root, and then it recognized root.

He's not talking about the app itself working or not, he means staying through the ota. If the ota doesn't wipe anything, I would think it'd be alright.

Sent from my R800x using XDA

Snow755

Jan 26, 2012
Sonora
will its 7:34am and no updates for the phone yet will have too check later if am not going them now am gusssing i will really have to wait in tell 12am EST time has they are 3hrs a head of us here on the W coast

GHRocker08

Apr 28, 2012
Brooklyn
will its 7:34am and no updates for the phone yet will have too check later if am not going them now am gusssing i will really have to wait in tell 12am EST time has they are 3hrs a head of us here on the W coast

I believe that the screenshot said that the update wasn't going to be pushed until 11:59PM EST today (4/30/12). So we still have about another 12.25 hours to go :(

The OTA update will begin 11.59pm 4/30 so technically I guess I shouldnt have put 4/30, more like 5/1. And unless you have used test point to unlock your bootlaoder DO NOT OTA you will brick your phone or have it end up on ICU....

I had my bootloader unlocked last summer via Mills, where I provided my IMEI and received my unlock code, so I will NOT be OTA... now I guess I can always relock my bootloader then OTA... but I am going to most likely wait a few days and see how it goes... then go from there...

Rogue Leader

Apr 4, 2011
New York
Ok so still new to rooting this thing. If I restore my nandroid backup from when i first rooted it and changed nothing, I should be good to go right? Except I may lose root unless I use that root keeper program. If i DON'T restore, and update via OTA, will I brick it? (locked bootloader still).

netizenmt

Jan 20, 2011
Not me. I had the testpoint unlock done, so sometime tonight I will use Flashtool to restore the .88 ftf and find out what all the hubbub is about. Unless someone beats me to it, I'll do a write-up on the good, the bad and the ugly.

Sent from my R800x using xda premium

paxChristos

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 27, 2011
West Bend
Ok so still new to rooting this thing. If I restore my nandroid backup from when i first rooted it and changed nothing, I should be good to go right? Except I may lose root unless I use that root keeper program. If i DON'T restore, and update via OTA, will I brick it? (locked bootloader still).

It depends, it might fail, if the updater-script is a pain in the butt for the ota. (another Android device I play around with has a ridiculous hash check for updates that includes a date time check as well as making sure the kernel & recovery have not been modded) odds are against it, and you should be fine with just restoring your original nandroid

Sent from my phone, please excuse any Swypos.

Not me. I had the testpoint unlock done, so sometime tonight I will use Flashtool to restore the .88 ftf and find out what all the hubbub is about. Unless someone beats me to it, I'll do a write-up on the good, the bad and the ugly.

Thanks netizenmt, look forward to hearing from people tomorrow what this update is...

paxChristos

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 27, 2011
West Bend
I was wrong about the updater-script i've played around with checking recovery/kernel (just looked at my files) and if anybody wants to see a OTA check from the nether-regions of Dante's Inferno's 9th circle, here's a link to it: http://pastebin.com/uyQ6QJuc (It's from the Casio Commando's M070 update)

Pax

savage24x

Jul 5, 2011
The OTA update will begin 11.59pm 4/30 so technically I guess I shouldnt have put 4/30, more like 5/1. And unless you have used test point to unlock your bootlaoder DO NOT OTA you will brick your phone or have it end up on ICU....

I had my bootloader unlocked last summer via Mills, where I provided my IMEI and received my unlock code, so I will NOT be OTA... now I guess I can always relock my bootloader then OTA... but I am going to most likely wait a few days and see how it goes... then go from there...

Same here. I don't get the update :(

Sent from my R800x using XDA

Lulz my bad :p it's a security update, just got a hold of a buddy that works for Verizon. Sorry for the bad news

Security update to block all root access and a ton of updated V-crap apps that cannot be deleted due to root being removed.........no offense but I am SO hoping this isnt the case, but i wouldnt put it past Verizon...

agraceful

Mar 29, 2011
Security update to block all root access and a ton of updated V-crap apps that cannot be deleted due to root being removed.........no offense but I am SO hoping this isnt the case, but i wouldnt put it past Verizon...

Haha seems you have a lot of hate toward Verizon. I don't blame you though, they make it EXTREMELY difficult at times..Q2 is when ics is coming..Which technically is now, but just saw a blog from sony 2 days ago saying they're starting to roll out now, and we're pretty much dead last to get it

Haha seems you have a lot of hate toward Verizon. I don't blame you though, they make it EXTREMELY difficult at times..Q2 is when ics is coming..Which technically is now, but just saw a blog from sony 2 days ago saying they're starting to roll out now, and we're pretty much dead last to get it

Any chance you have the link for this Sony post?

And my hatred is only for the terrible service, which I know is totally case specific and area specific. I have had more dropped calls in 1 year then I have ever had, and dont get me started with the data speeds. Plus I just hate how far behind we R800x users are from the rest of Xperia PLAY gang...... just wish that updates were controlled by the manufacturer and not the carriers....... and no I do NOT want a crapple device.... :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Definitive instructions how to update to 2.3.4 if you are Locked, Rooted, and the OTA Update will not complete for some reason. This will also save all your apps without individually backing them up.

1. Reboot your phone into CWM and take a nandroid backup of its current state.
    2. Reboot and use flashtool to flash the stock 2.3.3 ROM
    3. Reboot, activate Phone, upon activation it will start downloading 2.3.4, let it complete and when it does, choose "Remind me later"
    4. Use SuperOneClick to root via Zergrush method.
    5. Install 2.3.4 update.
    6. Activate phone again, then go into Android Market and re-download Xperia CWM Auto Installer, Run it and install CWM.
    7. Reboot Phone into CWM and go to "Restore", "Advanced Restore" , and then "Data".
    8. Reboot Phone

When this is done, all your apps, contacts, etc will be back to how they were before the update, and you will have 2.3.4 rooted on your phone.
    I got money off my bill for 1yr because they messed it up. And why not just use a custom rom, one of pax's builds will surely suit you up nicely!

@Rouge Leader "loud mouthed Italian" haha hell ya man a fellow Italian like myself can appreciate that any day!!

SO I GOT AN ANSWER

Spoke to a very nice girl in tech support. Laid out the deal from the start, explained I already reimaged my phone, others have the same problem, etc. She told me that many people have called with the issue. Then she put me on hold for about 3 minutes while she did some research.

When she came back she said the latest word is that its an issue with Google's versions of their framework that they used in the update. I got the impression that the version of 2.3.4 that VZ customers were issued is not the same one that other R800 users got (as in it was custom made by VZ with Sony framework, probably why it doesn't have xLoud). She said that their engineers cannot fix it but they have been in touch with Google to try and find a solution. She could not give me any sort of ETA and apologized for the issue.

Thats prettymuch where I left it as the answer made sense and no reason to argue there. So they know about the issue, they are willing to fix it (if you believe them) but in theory they need Google to fix it. I can't believe no one tested this before releasing it, but then again it is Big Red.
    Here's a link to the fota folder I found in /cache/recovery

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21955004/fota.zip

I'm pretty sure Verizon wants nothing to do with CyanogenMod.

Sent from my phone, please excuse any Swypos.
    Not sure if anyone already posted this or not, but it's 2.3.4:

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/04/3...-4-0-2-e-0-57-pops-phone-up-to-android-2-3-4/

And while that is an improvement, the lack of ICS and the Sony Frameworks required for PSStore makes it almost pointless anyway

Wondering if Verizon ever marketed the "Playstation Certified" part of the phone. If they did, then withheld those features, isn't the false advertisement?