S-pen stray lines

Search This thread

thegios

Mar 16, 2006
Latina
A picture is worth a thousands words :)

I have circled in green the correct lines, in red the stray ones.

Why does it behave this way? It is no even co sistent, that is it does not happen always on the same spot

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-01-17-13-16-32.png
    Screenshot_2014-01-17-13-16-32.png
    136.3 KB · Views: 3,989
I think it is happening because the pen is not communicating with the screen properly. Meaning that when you lift the pin up instead of pulling it straight up you're pulling it slightly at an angle and the pen is still close enough to communicate with the screen.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using XDA Premium HD app

enigma_x

Jan 1, 2013
I think it is happening because the pen is not communicating with the screen properly. Meaning that when you lift the pin up instead of pulling it straight up you're pulling it slightly at an angle and the pen is still close enough to communicate with the screen.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using XDA Premium HD app

Exactly, im thinking that too. Or atleast it looks like that when writing. It's annoying but you can live with it - i dont care show much about it when writing, but when drawing it is awful.

Ofer_R

Mar 27, 2012
Its not damaged, don't waste your money on a new one. It's Samsung's fault as they didn't fixed all the bugs in the firmware when they developed the product. I have lots of friends that use Note in school and everyone has this problem. That includes n8010 n8000 n8013.. The solution is either try using LectureNotes and apply some of the built in filters or try to teach yourself how to write in a way that there are no nibs. Also, be aware that some parts of the screen are more affected than other parts.

younix258

Feb 18, 2011
I think i might have insight here..
I recently looked into dev settings on my nexus 4 and set 'show pointer" out of curiosity. It is very interesting how the systems tells you not only the coordinates of the pointer, but the change in x- and y-coordinates, aka the speed of your finger as you glide. It also extrapolates where your finger would end up based on that speed, much like a momentum simulation.
I think whats happening here is that as you lift, you might flick the tip just a millimeter or so but at a high speed and the system extrapolates the line quite unnaturally. I might be wrong here tho, its just a theory.
Edit: looking back at the photo, notice that the lines happen as you lift the pen and not as you set it down..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

henreeg

Aug 31, 2010
Miami
Happens to me too. I don't think that everyone here doesn't know how to lift a pen when they stop writing.
That doesn't make sense. It's a Samsung issue that I hope they fix in the next update.

angomy

May 4, 2011
So far, I'm not able to replicate the stray line issues here, but my case (some generic flip cover with an elastic band to hold it shut) does not have magnets because I was concerned about the effect on the s-pen behavior so it could be that.

However, in terms of a fix you could try adjusting the sensitivity of your s-pen itself.

CAUTION!! you may damage it by doing so, I'm not responsible etc etc, do at your own risk !! ---

The click button along the side of the s-pen (with the ridges in it) is remove-able and underneath it is a screw you can adjust (in very small increments please) to adjust the sensitivity of the pen. The screw NEAREST the pen tip (there are two screws next to each other) is what you would adjust --- going CLOCKWISE to DECREASE sensitivity, and COUNTER-CLOCKWISE to INCREASE sensitivity.

I adjusted it to be slightly less sensitive as my pen was registering on the screen sometimes without touching it --- it appears that the tail-ended portions of your E's may also be a result of over-sensitivity.

YMMV of course :)