Alternative Gamepads

Search This thread

player911

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
I have an ouya and i don't like the controllers. I like the PlayStation Dpad location and setup, especially for epsxe and SNES.

The Red Samurai from GameStop is $12 and pairs great. The Nyko PlayPad Pro is the same controller as the official AFTV one.

The only issue with the samurai is that the button mapping for the triggers don't match the official gamepad so Terrarria and some others don't work without root. Emulators can just remap.

So those 2 would be my choices. Nyko Gamepad Pro being the best choice if you can find one.

WPeterW

Dec 3, 2014
Received my Ouya controller yesterday, paired, no problems. Working great with Asphalt. But it does not work with Minecraft, any tips ?

player911

Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
I am about to give up on my red samurai controller. First one worked great except the left analog only worked diagonally. Replaced with another and it won't hold a charge. Works plugged in but shuts off immediately when unplugged.

So test out thoroughly.

swicago

Sep 17, 2014
I bought two Red Samurai from GameStop. They both pair, however I can't seem to use both the emulators I have tried.
What mode is everyone using "K" or "G" mode(bottum of controller). I have mine on "G"
I tried Mupen64Free and RetroArch. Neither let me enable a 2nd controller. And both controllers seem to see the select as "back" and the start as "enter" buttons.
Any tips would be helpful...

mike2246

Dec 29, 2006
I have same problem with Red Samurai, I'm trying to use Genesis/N64/Snex/PS1 Emulators and without being able to reprogram Start I'm lost. does the Nyko Propad Plus, Logitech F710, or PS4 Dualshock have this issue? and which of the 3 will work will all emulators. Trying to find a Kid friendly solution that once it's programmed it'll work consistently.

Last edited:

dismissthesky

Sep 19, 2014
I have same problem with Red Samurai, I'm trying to use Genesis/N64/Snex/PS1 Emulators and without being able to reprogram Start I'm lost. does the Nyko Propad Plus, Logitech F710, or PS4 Dualshock have this issue? and which of the 3 will work will all emulators. Trying to find a Kid friendly solution that once it's programmed it'll work consistently.

Which emulators are you using? The emulators made by the .emu guy all have the ability to remap controls on a per device basis (so that you can remap start and select and such on the controller while still retaining those functions on the remote. For those four systems I use MD.emu, Mupen64plus, SNES9X EX, and EPSXE. All of those should allow you to remap start no problem.

swicago

Sep 17, 2014
Ok on mupen64, I had to use a mouse enabled device to physically click on the off/on button to turn on 2 controller. Just selecting it with remote never turns it to on. Mapping works for the red samurai....
I hope I can get retro arch working, as it seems easier to use one app for all, instead of multiple apps.

player911

Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com

Honestly if you wanting a kid friendly dedicated emulator machine then get an Ouya. Supports multiple controllers out of the box and pairs easily with PS3 and Xbox and all Bluetooth controllers. The ouya is hands down the best gaming box I've found that just works.

The fire TV stick is great for travel but picky on getting everything to work. Seems some apps work with certain gamepads and others work with others. I loved the feel and ease of pairing the Red Samauri. I might keep it around for my Ouya.

I just bought a Nyko Playpad Pro but haven't tested it on the Fire TV yet. Worked fine on my Nexus 7 with Snesx. I get a minimal response delay on both the Nyko and Samauri in super Mario world. Mario games are great for testing delay times. I don't experience this on the Ouya.

Update
Just tested my Nkyo Pro and it works great. I didnt fully test everything but terraria works as expected with the trigger issue I had with the Samsuri.

Overall I like the Samuri feel better... reminds me of a PS3. Felt great in hand and in game. The Nyko feels like a 360 controller and kind of clunky. Feedback on the buttons arent the best. Seems I have to push down pretty hard to get the buttons to register. They may losen up over time. The joysticks feels good on both.

Mouse mode works great on the Nyko. Great option to have on the fire stick for traveling and web browsing.

The Samsuri has keyboard mode and Gamepad mode. I had to actually pair using both modes for it to work. The difference is keyboard mode would work better for mapping probably as each button is assigned a letter off a keyboard. Up = W vs Up = Up in gamepad mode. Might possibly be the way you need to setup 2 controllers; 1 set to G and ths other set to K.

Last edited:

akevit

Dec 28, 2014
I can't seem to pair my Dualshock 4s (either of them!) to my rooted FTV. Am I missing something? Do I need Bluez IME or something else installed to pair a DS4? I've done the keylayout file thing to fix the mapping of the buttons, but I can't get it to pair wirelessly. Should I have paired once before doing the keylayout fix for the DS4?

Thanks

Did you ever get your DS4 to work?

mando209

Dec 26, 2014
The ps3 power a controller seems to work with the amazon store games.tried shadow fighters,Leo,buggy racer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

player911

Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
I've been experimenting with my many controllers. I get like a second lag on my PlayPad Pro and Samurai. The Ouya controller has the quickest response. My PS3 gamepad worked the best on my other android consoles but my fireTV is not rooted so no dice.

You can only really tell with like Mario games or split second platforming games. I don't see similar lag on my other android consoles.

No big deal but an observation. I haven't tried Terraria with the Ouya controller to see if the triggers worked. Just some observations.

I liked the Samauri the best for emulators because of the Dpad. The PlayPad Pro for its compatibility. And the Ouya for its response. The touchpad works o the ouya controller as a mouse... except the Ouya has a horrible touchpad.

I'd be interested to see how a DS4 plays and responds.

mrpap

Dec 30, 2014
I've been experimenting with my many controllers. I get like a second lag on my PlayPad Pro and Samurai. The Ouya controller has the quickest response. My PS3 gamepad worked the best on my other android consoles but my fireTV is not rooted so no dice.

You can only really tell with like Mario games or split second platforming games. I don't see similar lag on my other android consoles.

No big deal but an observation. I haven't tried Terraria with the Ouya controller to see if the triggers worked. Just some observations.

I liked the Samauri the best for emulators because of the Dpad. The PlayPad Pro for its compatibility. And the Ouya for its response. The touchpad works o the ouya controller as a mouse... except the Ouya has a horrible touchpad.

I'd be interested to see how a DS4 plays and responds.

How have you gotten the ouya touchpad to work? are you rooted?

emtownsend

Feb 7, 2008
Having issues with the Nyko Playpad Pro that I bought off Amazon. I was able to successfully update the firmware (I think), but I can't get the controller to power on. It's been charging for about 5 hours now, and the orange light is still on...nothing happens when I press and hold the home button. This is the one I bought http://www.amazon.com/Playpad-Andro...d=1420074453&sr=8-1&keywords=nyko+playpad+pro. Any suggestions?

I thought I read in one of the reviews on Amazon that one user had to try multiple chargers and found the highest rated one that he had, then let it stay on the charger for 6 hours before it even registered a charge. Anyway, have you tried other chargers, specifically higher output versions? (If you're lucky enough to have some old phone chargers laying around). Just a thought...

ellecsor

Jul 10, 2009
I thought I read in one of the reviews on Amazon that one user had to try multiple chargers and found the highest rated one that he had, then let it stay on the charger for 6 hours before it even registered a charge. Anyway, have you tried other chargers, specifically higher output versions? (If you're lucky enough to have some old phone chargers laying around). Just a thought...

I have. It's been on my iPad (10w) charger overnight, and still can't get it to turn on. Amazon is sending a replacement...hopefully that one isn't completely dead. Thanks for your suggestion.

Garff1e

Jan 1, 2015
Sorry if this has been covered but I'm new to this. I have emulators side loaded and wanted to use an old wired xbox 360 game pad. Once connected to the USB port it continually blinks but controls nothing. Any ideas?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Heads up: GameStop's Red Samurai controller is on sale right now for $8. Haven't tried personally yet, but I've seen quite a few posts where people seem to be having a lot of success on their Fire TVs. Probably going to try and pick one up after work.

http://www.gamestop.com/android/accessories/tablet-wireless-game-controller-v2/104425
    Just got my Playpad Pro from amazon and I can't get it to pair for the life of me! I've updated the firmware (tried both 100 and 101 bins) using every method I know of - PC, Playground app, and the Playpad Firmware Update app. I also tried pairing in each of the different "modes" (gamepad, app, etc). I'm at my wit's end. The Fire TV is running the latest rooted stock image, if that matters.

Any ideas?

First off - make sure you have fully (at least 2 hours) charged your batteries. The PlayPad is really picky about needing a full charge the first time.

Make sure it is in gamepad mode and hold in the home button to turn it on. Then go to pairing on the Fire TV. The red light on your PlayPad Pro should be flashing about once a second. Select pair on your Fire TV then hold the home button in on your PlayPad Pro again (4-5 seconds) until the red light starts flashing faster - this puts it into pairing mode. Took me a while to figure that out. After a bit the PlayPad Pro should be detected and you can select it on the Fire TV to complete pairing.

Good luck!
    Does the Fire TV support multiple bluetooth gamepads for multiplayer gaming?

This would be great for not only supported android games, but also emulated stuff.

With the Fire Game Controller it is possible to pair up to four gamepads. I think the same must be true for other types of controllers too.
    Nyko has a new Playpad for the Fire that is being released on the 18th. I ordered one.

dang that doesn't look half bad. and rechargeable == nice. I may have to retire my beloved 360 wired controller.

---------- Post added at 05:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

ordered one too.

damn your scaly hide, kairnage.
    Currently I have a wireless PS3 controller connected via the Sixaxis app. Yes I paid for the app (was using it on my GSII) and I have root. Cons are - it disables the FTV remote and it has about a half second input delay when playing emulators (Retroarch and ePSXe).

I'm not using it anymore coz the input delay is an absolute killer on fighting games. I'm not sure if it's the app, the emulator, the bluetooth or the controller but when I tried using my K400 (which is not bluetooth) to play emulators it presents the same lag.

Does anyone have experience on a wireless controller with absolutely zero lag? I was thinking of buying the F710 but I remembered my K400 and I'm afraid that it would give me the same input delay