External USB storage working with XBMC

Search This thread

drumst1x

Jun 14, 2013
Anyone know if i can use an external non-powered (WD passport Ultra 2tb) drive? I tried it today without a powered usb hub and the hd just clicked and clicked. I assume not enough power going through the usb cuz i then put it in my windows machine and it opened fine (not damaged). So, can i get a powered hub and have this work? I know a powered external drive works without needing a hub.

If yes, this CAN work, can someone suggest a powered hub that will work? I've heard these android devices can be fickle. If not, i will have to return this drive and get a powered drive :(

Thanks in advance.

xm41907

Dec 7, 2010
Anyone know if i can use an external non-powered (WD passport Ultra 2tb) drive? I tried it today without a powered usb hub and the hd just clicked and clicked. I assume not enough power going through the usb cuz i then put it in my windows machine and it opened fine (not damaged). So, can i get a powered hub and have this work? I know a powered external drive works without needing a hub.

If yes, this CAN work, can someone suggest a powered hub that will work? I've heard these android devices can be fickle. If not, i will have to return this drive and get a powered drive :(

Thanks in advance.

I've got an older WD passport 320GB and wondering the same thing. Mainly, I want XBMC data going to it instead of the fire tv. XBMC takes up well over a gig just for it's library data.

kbrabble

Dec 2, 2009
I picked up an Amazon basics powered 4 port USB 3.0 hub that works great powering my hard drive and wireless keyboard.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

desztan

Jun 19, 2008
Yes you need to remount the system with write access...

Code:
su
mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system /system
Check if it was mounted in read-write mode (rw):
Code:
mount | grep system
Should return
Code:
/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system /system ext4 rw,relatime,data=ordered 0 0
Now go make your changes then once done remount it as read-only again:
Code:
mount -o ro,remount /dev/block/stl12 /system

How to check if it's in the read-write mode

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

drumst1x

Jun 14, 2013
I picked up an Amazon basics powered 4 port USB 3.0 hub that works great powering my hard drive and wireless keyboard.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Totally bizarre, but I also picked up the amazon basics 4-port powered USB 3.0 hub. I originally had the hard drive issue with my parents' Fire TV. I ordered the hub, sent it to my house, and tried it on my Fire TV with my unpowered USB external HD. I first confirmed that I had the same issue (clicking, but HD not being recognized) without using the Hub. Then, for some reason, i guess just to do things in steps, I tried plugging in the hub and then plugging the hard drive into that, but NOT powering up the hub. Guess what? The hard drive worked fine! ?!?!??!??? No idea why, but it was fine. Now I assume I wouldn't have enough power to power too many more devices, but if it's just the HD plugged into the hub, it works fine UNPOWERED. Very odd. Just thought I'd share the info. I gave the hub to my parents and it worked the same way on theirs.

Odd, but true.

Thanks for the tip :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is a full guide I wrote for those who need it, but the quick version is to mount your external storage using StickMount and then navigate to "External Storage -> USBStorage -> sda1" from within XBMC. Files show up and play smoothly.