donlk

Oct 14, 2010
Budapest

divider.png

The Neural Information Processing Group from
Eötvös Lóránd University proudly presents:

MouSense for Android based mobile devices

What%20is%20this.png

• MouSense headmouse (head tracker) is a hand-free application software for computers - one can control the cursor on the screen by head movements. Our latest product is MouSense for Android, a headmouse software for Android based smartphones, tablets and other info-communication devices.

How%20does%20it%20work.png

• The software uses the latest opensource Computer Vision algorithms to determine the exact position of the head and to track it further. The stability, reliability and flexibility of these Computer Vision algorithms allow us to put them together in a way to create a robust and sufficiently optimized face-tracking software for mobile devices. The software tracks your face using the front-facing camera of the device, displays a small cursor on the screen as you move it along, and lets you simulate touch and API based key events to gain full control over the system.

Who%20are%20we%20looking%20for.png

• We considered making a slightly limited alpha version available to the public, so users with different variety of devices can help us improve our product before we release it to Google Play. Its a limited version hence the different action simulations (long click, drag, swype) are not present. We appreciate the help of testing from anybody who is curious enough to try the software and commited enough to send us the error reports the software prepares in case of a crash.

How%20can%20you%20contribute.png

• Download link to the latest build will always be in post no. 2.
    Please don't upload the file to any website or file server, because the software is still in early alpha version, and bug fixing becomes much harder when we start having all sorts of strange error reports from builds coming from unknown sources all across the world wide web. We provide one reliable source for the new builds, one issue/feature tracker site and one discussion topic (this one).

Bug%20%26%20Feature%20reports.png

• If you have noticed a bug, had a crash, or have a feature request for the application, you can ceate a new Ticket on this tracker site: http://nipg.inf.elte.hu:8556. All the active tickets holding these informations are under the 'View tickets' tab. Please don't write posts about these matters in this topic.
    If you feel you stressed the software well enough and didnt notice behaviour failures (or it has already been fixed), please feel free to post about that so we an add your device to the site under the 'tested devices' secion here: http://www.colleyeder.com/mousense/installation/

Information.png

• For additional information such as installation, usage, background, contact address etc. please visit our website at: www.colleyeder.com/mousense

Third%20parties.png

The software belongs to Eötvös Lóránd University and ELTE Neural Information Processing Group.

Thank you for your contribution!

logos.png

Last edited:

donlk

Oct 14, 2010
Budapest
Download.png

• Market stable release is very close. Until the software is published there won't be any more links here. You all helped a lot with your reports and comments, so i'd like to thank you very much!

Changelog.png

• build 0.4:
    - Speed optimizations for face preview bitmap redraws
    - Instruction popup windows implemented in the main menu and in the swype demo
  • build 0.3.5:
    - Force close fixed when Calibration starts on non rooted devices
  • build 0.3:
    - Demo applications implemented, you can access them through the main menu. These apps can be tried out WITHOUT root access.
    - Better mouse smoother algorithms integrated
  • build 0.2.1:
    - menu and back button simulations are merged in (available through the right button panel while facetracking)
    - further optimizations for touch calibration
  • build 0.2:
    - massively improved touch calibration
    - touch simulation is instant, zero delay
    - mouse is not clicking continuosly while holded still
    - Mouse sensitivity X, Mouse sensitivity Y and Circle radius step preference strange save behaviour fixed
  • build 0.1.7.5:
    - fully handled possible force closes and failures through the calibration process (hopefully)
  • build 0.1.7:
    - fixed possible runtime exceptions while face tracking
    - improved touch calibration (shouldnt fail now if you're tapping it lightly)
    - temporary fix for touchscreen device detection on some devices
    - improved method for detecting front-facing camera (needs test)
  • build 0.1.6:
    - fixed calibration FC on Samsung i9100 and possible other devices (thanks for the reports)
    - fixed seekbar progress display at Circle radius step option in Settings menu
  • build 0.1.5:
    - most logreporters fixed and expanded (please test)
  • build 0.1.4:
    - more logreporters added with extended exception-handlers (tests needed as always)
  • build 0.1.3:
    - added a few more in-app logreporters in case of calibration failure (therefore please send me the prepared log when it does happen!)
    - fixed possible FC when 'Start tracking' was pressed
  • build 0.1.2:
    - changed MouseSensitivityX, MouseSensitivityY and CircleRadiusStep option items to launch a seekbar instead of list
    - most of logcat debug code removed
    - About section in Main menu slightly reworked
  • build 0.1.0: initial alpha release

Known%20Issues.png

• slight UI lag

Last edited:

donlk

Oct 14, 2010
Budapest
New build contains helper log reporters, anyone else who had problem with calibration before, please install the new version and send me the prepared logs.

Last edited:

donlk

Oct 14, 2010
Budapest
It crashes at start up. Why don't you use Google play?

Sent from my GT-I9100 running CM10

Please try the new version out.
Google Play is the worst place for early software build test, hence most of the end users don't intend to provide any bugreport/support ticket in case of a crash or strange behaviour in occasion. Speaking of alpha stage, there are losts of these occasions.

Last edited:

G4 Man2

May 4, 2011
Coffeyville
Decided that this app was a failure, then realized my fan blowing my hair probly wasn't helping. This app is pretty cool I just wish I could calibrate without it force closing

Mar 3, 2012
A great idea and excellent concept, tried it on my Galaxy S3

Seemed to fail during calibration but I gave it a go anyway. Works quite well but the pointer is very sensitive, although that may be to do with the calibration fail

I can't wait to see where this goes!

samsungi5500

Oct 22, 2010
Wont work on my galaxy note,calibration failed and no cursor showing up,but it seems it does track head movement,did send log.

NOMIOMI

Nov 4, 2010
Abbottabad
awesome great

---------- Post added at 10:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 AM ----------

how to send the crash report ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

divider.png

The Neural Information Processing Group from
    Eötvös Lóránd University proudly presents:

MouSense for Android based mobile devices

What%20is%20this.png

• MouSense headmouse (head tracker) is a hand-free application software for computers - one can control the cursor on the screen by head movements. Our latest product is MouSense for Android, a headmouse software for Android based smartphones, tablets and other info-communication devices.

How%20does%20it%20work.png

• The software uses the latest opensource Computer Vision algorithms to determine the exact position of the head and to track it further. The stability, reliability and flexibility of these Computer Vision algorithms allow us to put them together in a way to create a robust and sufficiently optimized face-tracking software for mobile devices. The software tracks your face using the front-facing camera of the device, displays a small cursor on the screen as you move it along, and lets you simulate touch and API based key events to gain full control over the system.

Who%20are%20we%20looking%20for.png

• We considered making a slightly limited alpha version available to the public, so users with different variety of devices can help us improve our product before we release it to Google Play. Its a limited version hence the different action simulations (long click, drag, swype) are not present. We appreciate the help of testing from anybody who is curious enough to try the software and commited enough to send us the error reports the software prepares in case of a crash.

How%20can%20you%20contribute.png

• Download link to the latest build will always be in post no. 2.
      Please don't upload the file to any website or file server, because the software is still in early alpha version, and bug fixing becomes much harder when we start having all sorts of strange error reports from builds coming from unknown sources all across the world wide web. We provide one reliable source for the new builds, one issue/feature tracker site and one discussion topic (this one).

Bug%20%26%20Feature%20reports.png

• If you have noticed a bug, had a crash, or have a feature request for the application, you can ceate a new Ticket on this tracker site: http://nipg.inf.elte.hu:8556. All the active tickets holding these informations are under the 'View tickets' tab. Please don't write posts about these matters in this topic.
      If you feel you stressed the software well enough and didnt notice behaviour failures (or it has already been fixed), please feel free to post about that so we an add your device to the site under the 'tested devices' secion here: http://www.colleyeder.com/mousense/installation/

Information.png

• For additional information such as installation, usage, background, contact address etc. please visit our website at: www.colleyeder.com/mousense

Third%20parties.png

The software belongs to Eötvös Lóránd University and ELTE Neural Information Processing Group.

Thank you for your contribution!

logos.png

Download.png

• Market stable release is very close. Until the software is published there won't be any more links here. You all helped a lot with your reports and comments, so i'd like to thank you very much!

Changelog.png

• build 0.4:
      - Speed optimizations for face preview bitmap redraws
      - Instruction popup windows implemented in the main menu and in the swype demo
    • build 0.3.5:
      - Force close fixed when Calibration starts on non rooted devices
    • build 0.3:
      - Demo applications implemented, you can access them through the main menu. These apps can be tried out WITHOUT root access.
      - Better mouse smoother algorithms integrated
    • build 0.2.1:
      - menu and back button simulations are merged in (available through the right button panel while facetracking)
      - further optimizations for touch calibration
    • build 0.2:
      - massively improved touch calibration
      - touch simulation is instant, zero delay
      - mouse is not clicking continuosly while holded still
      - Mouse sensitivity X, Mouse sensitivity Y and Circle radius step preference strange save behaviour fixed
    • build 0.1.7.5:
      - fully handled possible force closes and failures through the calibration process (hopefully)
    • build 0.1.7:
      - fixed possible runtime exceptions while face tracking
      - improved touch calibration (shouldnt fail now if you're tapping it lightly)
      - temporary fix for touchscreen device detection on some devices
      - improved method for detecting front-facing camera (needs test)
    • build 0.1.6:
      - fixed calibration FC on Samsung i9100 and possible other devices (thanks for the reports)
      - fixed seekbar progress display at Circle radius step option in Settings menu
    • build 0.1.5:
      - most logreporters fixed and expanded (please test)
    • build 0.1.4:
      - more logreporters added with extended exception-handlers (tests needed as always)
    • build 0.1.3:
      - added a few more in-app logreporters in case of calibration failure (therefore please send me the prepared log when it does happen!)
      - fixed possible FC when 'Start tracking' was pressed
    • build 0.1.2:
      - changed MouseSensitivityX, MouseSensitivityY and CircleRadiusStep option items to launch a seekbar instead of list
      - most of logcat debug code removed
      - About section in Main menu slightly reworked
    • build 0.1.0: initial alpha release

Known%20Issues.png

• slight UI lag

Thanks for the feedback guys, i'm getting hundreds of reports, it really helps a lot!

I'm working on the fix for calibration force close, though i'm not sure what could cause this as i thought i handled every possible exceptions that might occur through the process. However, if you get 'Calibration failed' message, i encourage you to try it a couple of times more (you dont have to send a report every time you try), and see if it succeeds. The important part is to only tap the screen lighty two times, not as you would do normally. This is important because the increasing screen PPI's makes it a lot harder to tap at on only one pixel of the screen, so every time the calibration fails, it means you swyped even if you didnt mean to. Just hit it a couple of times and if it failes repeatedly, send me the log.

As for the other questions and suggestions:

• Yes, you need root to calibrate and then click. It's in the usage and installation instructions on our website, which i posted a direct link to in the first post. I strongly recommend for everyone to read it through first.
    • The mouse's fluidity is due to the 'Mouse smoothing' option turned on in the Settings menu. It can be turned off. I suggest to experiment with it a little, see what suits you. You can access Settings through the menu button on the main screen of the app (also present on the website).
    • Mouse sensitivity adjuster is in the same place, in the Settings menu.
    • Menu and Back button simulations are already implemented, though they're not present in the Alpha test. It's tested out, and the method is pretty much the same for every device, so we took it out. It will be present in the full Market app. Touch simulation is the one that needs lots of testing, hence it differs not just between touchscreen models, but sometimes between API versions too. This is why we need you guys to stress it out and experiment with it, maybe modify the FaceDetection, Mouse and other options, to see what works best on your device in different lighting conditions.
    • If you can't simulate touch with the mouse while face tracking, then the calibration wasn't successful. You can test the calibration out in the Calibration menu, if it succeeds, then you will be able to click.

Thank you again very much for your cooperation and enthusiasm, i hope i cleared out some blind spots. I'm working on the fixes, so stay tuned!

cheers,
    donlk
    - build 0.3 released -

Demo applications integrated. These are WIP, and might have some issues, so please give them a few tries and tell me what you think.
    Sorry for the inconvenience, but the papers are going slow about publishing rights with the university. Once its done, i'll be pushing up the free version first, then the paid app later on.
    No more builds will be released here, so next version would be 1.0 straight away.

netkillercat: yes, hand-tracking is in consideration, not much of a work is required for implementing this feature anyways.