[Q] GT-I9300 questions about KNOX before 4.1.2 => 4.3 upgrade

Search This thread

zappacor

Aug 9, 2006
Hi all,

I recently bought a refurbished S3 that's so far running on stock 4.1.2 and showing under download mode:
ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: GT-I9300
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: No
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Official
Now, I find contradictory and/or confusing info regarding its upgrade to 4.3 so your answers to these questions are really appreciated:

1) Does the 4.1.2=>4.3 upgrade install KNOX? I ask cause some threads suggest Samsung never implemented it on I9300s while others say they did...
2) I still didn't do anything on download mode but I did enter it couple of times. Did that increased any counter and/or changed any internal flag? Could this have altered the warranty validity?
3) Regarding 4.3 full stock images and/or patch updates (from OTA/FOTA), I can't find any KNOX related APK but.... how can I tell if its bootloader evil is present or not?
4) From a full 4.3 stock image downloaded from sammobile.com, and if I confirm it has KNOX bootloader, I think it could be possible to decompile the image, remove all KNOX stuff, reassemble the image and finally ODIN flash it. Am I right? In case yes, any advice/recommendation and or better-read-this before attempting to do so?
5) In connection with point 4 above, could I "inject" what is required to root the phone at the same time? What should I add/remove/modify?
6) Regarding
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD, CURRENT BINARY and SYSTEM STATUS
are they set on checks performed after each boot or do they change just and only just on actions performed from within recovery and/or dowload mode?

Please note 5 and 6 are somehow related: if checks asked on 6 are *not* done on boot then doing 5 would let me root the phone leaving no trace (I think...)

Just in case, the file structure for the OTA patch update I have is:
Code:
-rw------- 1 rjz rjz    159744 jun 22  2011 tz.img
-rw------- 1 rjz rjz    887040 jun 22  2011 sboot.bin
-rw------- 1 rjz rjz      8753 jun 22  2011 file_contexts
drwx------ 1 rjz rjz         0 jun 21 11:01 patch
drwx------ 1 rjz rjz         0 jun 21 11:02 recovery
drwx------ 1 rjz rjz      4096 jun 21 11:03 system
drwx------ 1 rjz rjz         0 jun 21 11:03 META-INF
where ./recovery/ has:
Code:
-rw------- 1 rjz rjz 2507227 jun 22  2011 recovery-from-boot.p
drwx------ 1 rjz rjz       0 jun 21 11:02 etc

boomboomer

Jun 30, 2010
Any search will tell you that the i9300 doesn't have knox, other models of the s3 do.

Go read the sticky thread in general forum for beginners, then how to root with cf auto root -which will invalidate warranty.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

zappacor

Aug 9, 2006
Any search will tell you that the i9300 doesn't have knox, other models of the s3 do.

Go read the sticky thread in general forum for beginners, then how to root with cf auto root -which will invalidate warranty.

Thanks mate, that seems to be the root of my confusion.

And just out of curiosity, how can we check whether a bootloader image has KNOX or not?

boomboomer

Jun 30, 2010
Simple, if it is a bootloader for the i9300 then it doesn't have knox.

zappacor

Aug 9, 2006
Simple, if it is a bootloader for the i9300 then it doesn't have knox.

yes, ok, that's clear since your first post but I'm asking about *any* bootloader, not those that are for the I9300.

I mean, how can we tell "sboot.bin" from version Android X.X.X for Samsung YYYY has Knox on it or not?

RazorMC

Feb 12, 2011
SiN CiTY
yes, ok, that's clear since your first post but I'm asking about *any* bootloader, not those that are for the I9300.

I mean, how can we tell "sboot.bin" from version Android X.X.X for Samsung YYYY has Knox on it or not?

If you are unsure, check with the developer of that specific ROM or other users if it has knox or not. :good:

zappacor

Aug 9, 2006
Go read the sticky thread in general forum for beginners!

I did. But couldn't find any method other than one others suggested, asking other users. However, my idea is to search for binary patterns or strings within the .img and/or .bin. Still haven't enough time to do so but will update once I can.

If you already did so, please share your findings. Or the URL for that...