Google Apps without rooting

Search This thread

amahri

Jan 23, 2011
google play

Hi I have a kindle fire 2 and I can't open up the root explorer on es explorer, it keeps telling me that it can't be opened on my device. Is there anything else I can do? Besides that?

MiniSid17

Nov 10, 2011
Does anyone know if this will work on an HDX? Is it possible to get a google account and use play games services? Or do I have to root? Thanks!

DivinityCycle

Jul 29, 2010
Portland, OR
Does anyone know if this will work on an HDX? Is it possible to get a google account and use play games services? Or do I have to root? Thanks!

There is currently no root method for the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 (aka "Saturn"), but I own one of these and have had some success in getting Google apps working. I'm still working on getting it all figured out, will post my findings.
The long story short is that the package provided in the 1st post is out of date and does not work properly, but the basic idea DOES work. The tricky part is there are a huge number of different versions of Google Play Services, many of which don't work. I've been able to get most Google apps functional, just have a problem with my premium apps all complaining that they are unable to verify my licenses. I think this is because I used my phone to download the apps and then I transferred them over to my tablet. Need to test out if I can use Titanium Backup to fix my device ID on my phone to match that of my tablet. This might make the apps validate properly on both, just been busy and I keep forgetting to bring my tablet with me to work...

For now, I was able to get pretty much everything that uses your Google account to sync to work.
Drive, Gmail, Plus, Music, Calendar, Keep, Chrome Remote Desktop, Chrome, Authenticator, Books, Docs, and Sheets are fully functional as far as I can tell.
Camera works, but I have not tested video recording / playback.
YouTube was working, but somewhere along the way I lost video playback, need to make the time to test which is the latest version that still works. Account sync works already.
Wallet does not work at all, just throws and error about how you need to update the app at launch.
Hangouts does not work, just says "Signing in" forever.
Google Now works but the audio input does not, which makes it a lot less useful. This also means the Song / Audio Search feature cannot work.
3rd Party apps that are working for me:
YATSE (just no unlocker), MXPlayer Pro with the custom codec, LastPass, SwiftKey, Dominos (the pizza company not the game), Timely (with cloud sync).
Hue Disco, Plague Inc, and ComicRack (the non-free version) all fail to operate properly due to license checks.

Last edited:

irfan199

Dec 31, 2007
I have kindle fire 2, I think. I've rooted my device and I've followed all the installation procedure and it runs fine. I'm not using any custom rom, just rooted stock rom. But Today I think there is software update on kindle (i don't know if its just the apps or other updates). And since then there is always "Google Play Services has Stopped" warning/popup over and over again. I've tried downgrading the play services, also reinstall all the steps in this guide but nothing seems working.

How to fix this? Thanks for the help.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have got YouTube, Gmail, Currents and Google Maps working in the Kindle Fire HD without rooting. However Google Maps is not able to get the location from Wifi and is not able to sign in using the following process. I was unable to get GTalk (also attached) to work so far. The following process does not use GoogleServicesFramework as was used in the Gingerbread version of Kindle Fire.

I have modded the apps with high resolution 256x256 icons for display in Kindle Fire Carousel using the following guide.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1495854

I have used You Tube 3.5.5 modded for HD playback. Alternatively this works with any of the APKs found in the following topic or built for Ice Cream Sandwich.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1529715

1. Enable installation of applications from unknown sources in Kindle Fire Settings.
    2. Install GoogleLoginService.apk.
    3. Reboot.
    4. Install the Google Apps.
    5. Start YouTube. Sign In. It will take you to Google Account Manager to create/use existing Google credentials.
    6. Same goes for other apps. In case sign in fails for any of the apps (except Maps/GTalk) drag down the Kindle Fire notification bar, click on the notification for "Permission requested....." and assign required permissions.

The files can be downloaded from here
    https://www.box.com/s/kf6n8qpdncscnhmsz3ox

UPDATE: Thanks to alkemist80, installing GoogleServicesFramework.apk, rebooting & installing Talk from the following post, Talk works perfectly fine on Kindle Fire HD, unless it goes into sleep mode.
    (If existing apps stop responding at this point, remove and reinstall them)
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=31814980&postcount=20
    Is it possible to get the newest version of YouTube to work on this without root? I couldn't sign in, kept telling me I needed Google Play installed. So I'm guessing it won't work. I'm currently using an older 3.5 version which is okay, but I like the newer versions more.

Don't think latest one (4.2.16) works properly un-rooted, latest one I got working with sign-in was YouTube version 4.1.47 which I can't really tell the difference between that & 4.2.16 so that may help you.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Also for any new KFHD owners a bit bewildered by this thread I've managed to get these Google Apps listed below working great on my Kindle Fire HD (Stock 7.2.3) with the GoogleLoginService.apk & GoogleFrameworkServices.apk mentioned at the end of the post, just install both of those & reboot your KFHD & then install any of these GApps, sign-in should work if done correctly :)

• Gmail 4.0.5 (Sign-in working, syncs mail but can be a little buggy, versions 4.1.2 & 4.2.1 are very buggy, notifications don't work)
    • Google Chrome 18.0.1025469 (Sign-in working, shows Sync options but haven't checked anything else)
    • Google Drive 1.1.470.15 (Sign-in working, downloaded & ran files OK)
    • Google Maps 6.14.2 (Settings work without crashing if both Google Service APKs are installed)
    • Google Play Music 4.5.910I.560208 (Sign-in working, my uploaded Music was playable etc.)
    • Google Play Movies 2.3.7 (Sign-in working, but doesn't seem to be very useful without Google Play Store)
    • Google Currents 2.0.1 (Sign-in works, App seemed to work well)
    • Google Calendar 201212060 (Sign-in working, although it does give a Notification about Google Play Services though even if installed)
    • Google+ 3.5.0.41809231 (Sign-in working, created an account on the device, settings worked & seemed to run OK)
    • YouTube 4.1.47 (Sign-in working, no major issues so far)

Think most of those are up-to-date versions bar Youtube & Gmail as of posting.

Download both Google Service APKs from here - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1897380

Thanks to alkemist80 & abhijitxp for putting me on the right track ;)
    Rapidshare Link

Havent expected the 10 GB bandwidth to get used up so soon.
    Uploaded to Rapidshare. Hope it works...
    https://rapidshare.com/files/3806704691/google_apps.rar?bin=1
    i heard some people wanted chrome's apk http://db.tt/XusgJqsX

Sent from my KFTT using xda app-developers app
    4.0.3 GoogleServicesFramework and Gtalk app from my EVO 3D. Both are running on my ROOTED kindle fire HD, no problems with google maps, play store or youtubeHD. However Gtalk does not seem to be supporting the front facing camera and causes the app to crash if you or someone else tries to connect via camera. Still trying to get gmail to function correctly, it will not push emails.

I seem to still be running into issues with Gtalk logging out while the device is in sleep mode.