Dropbox 23GB Promotion - Workaround

Search This thread

Zwitterion

Dec 15, 2009
Told ya! Its really polished and is run by Barracuda Networks, so they obviously invested serious coin and dev on this. I'm surprised it hasn't caught on quicker. It will though, I'm sure.

So far I think the interface kills that of dropbox. It's way smoother. I'll keep playing around but I like it a lot. Thanks

mattbrax19

Sep 7, 2011
Quick question about this:

Told ya! Its really polished and is run by Barracuda Networks, so they obviously invested serious coin and dev on this. I'm surprised it hasn't caught on quicker. It will though, I'm sure.

I used your referral link to try this out. Now every time I click a link in Chrome or IE on my PC to download something, copy.com opens up and I can't find any way to remove this. I've cleared all browsing data, blocked cookies from copy.com, tried deleting my account (in which you have to email them to delete it), uninstalled the app from my phone, I couldn't find anything listed under programs to uninstall from my PC.

I find this service invasive and wish to remove it. Do you have any idea how to do this?

res0prw2

May 14, 2013
I use dropbox mainly to backup up photos from my phone automatically, does copy allow you to do this as well? Also I remember there was some scuttle butt on reddit about this service a while back (can't remember exactly but I think it had something to do about it's security??), how has your overall experience been with them, and how secure are they?

Sent from my HTC's darkside.

Why go through the hassle of getting 23GB of space for two years when you can get it for life, with 5GB per additional referral from Copy? I've been using Copy for awhile now and it beats Dropbox hands down. The UI on both the web and mobile devices are more robust (with embeddable links, per user link sharing and the like), it is just as fast if not faster, and the best thing, in my opinion is that shared folders do not fully count against your storage limit the way it does in Dropbox. For example, if there's a 750MB file shared among three people, each person's storage is reduced by only 250MB, not 750MB. The more that file is shared, the less the hit to one's storage as it is spread across the number of people sharing. Android app is awesome.

If interested, I have a referral link in my signature. I really think Copy is going to either kill Dropbox or force it to lower its absurd pricing and referral arrangement.

Thanks, I have signed up with your link. I have been a Dropbox user for years. I was grandfathered in with 200GB+ storage for the price of 100 but that is getting steep. I also have 100GB for my wife. It looks like we can pay for 500GB split 250/250 and it will be a heck of a lot cheaper. going to see how the features stack up. Love the Dropbox auto upload of pictures. Does Copy do that?

res0prw2

May 14, 2013
Disregard, I signed up anyways. Will xda allow a referral ladder to start here as well? I found the original post from Reddit and at over two months ago, that OP was at over 1.5tb of storage.

Zwitterion

Dec 15, 2009
Sure does. It looks like it was directly crafted to compete with Drop box.
Thanks, I have signed up with your link. I have been a Dropbox user for years. I was grandfathered in with 200GB+ storage for the price of 100 but that is getting steep. I also have 100GB for my wife. It looks like we can pay for 500GB split 250/250 and it will be a heck of a lot cheaper. going to see how the features stack up. Love the Dropbox auto upload of pictures. Does Copy do that?

---------- Post added at 04:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 PM ----------

1.5 TB?! Damn.

Disregard, I signed up anyways. Will xda allow a referral ladder to start here as well? I found the original post from Reddit and at over two months ago, that OP was at over 1.5tb of storage.

Aganar

Jan 7, 2012
Washington, D.C.
If I gave someone who is on this Rom my Dropbox credentials and they signed into it from their phone, would my account storage increase? Or does it have to be from an initial setup?

Sent from my HTC One

Zwitterion

Dec 15, 2009
I don't think there is even a function in Copy's desktop app to catpure links in that way. I will check in a second and get back to you. Have you tried the e-mail support? I agree, that would be annoying as hell, but that never happened for me.

EDIT: I took a look, and in the desktop app, under Preferences > Sharing, simply uncheck "Accept all incoming file transfers". Your's must have somehow gotten turned on. I guess that's a function for folks who want everything they download to by stored in the Copy folder (and thereby, be copied up to the cloud)!

Hope that helps. Good to know this function exists, as I may actually use it from time to time, so thanks!

Quick question about this:

I used your referral link to try this out. Now every time I click a link in Chrome or IE on my PC to download something, copy.com opens up and I can't find any way to remove this. I've cleared all browsing data, blocked cookies from copy.com, tried deleting my account (in which you have to email them to delete it), uninstalled the app from my phone, I couldn't find anything listed under programs to uninstall from my PC.

I find this service invasive and wish to remove it. Do you have any idea how to do this?

Last edited:

Zwitterion

Dec 15, 2009
Dropbox had even more of a backlash for security weakpoints which still, to my knowledge, haven't been rectified (i.e. higher level employees having access to Dropbox folders). The TOS of the two services is similar. I think any of these services, with the possible exception of SpiderOak, inherently require some level of trust in them. I looked strongly at SpiderOak, but their UI felt clumsy and client-side encryption provides too much room for me to lose all my data by losing my key.

I use dropbox mainly to backup up photos from my phone automatically, does copy allow you to do this as well? Also I remember there was some scuttle butt on reddit about this service a while back (can't remember exactly but I think it had something to do about it's security??), how has your overall experience been with them, and how secure are they?

xith

Mar 12, 2010
Pittsburgh
For those who do not know, Dropbox has a promotion going on with HTC to give an addition 23gb of space for 2 years to people who use Sense 5. EXCEPT for whatever reason people on either Verizon or AT&T are not eligible for this promotion, which essentially means everyone here on the Verizon HTC One will not be able to get the free 25GB, at least that is how Verizon wants it to be.

I say F*** Y** Verizon, even though you do not want to give me the extra space, I am going to trick you into giving it to me and whoever else wants it!!

The workaround method I discovered is all thanks to Newtoroot and the amazing roms he releases!!

This worked perfectly.. thanks for the info!

-Xith

badboy337

Jun 7, 2010
Worked!

Downloaded the older NOS_v1.0.2_GSM_zip version, signed into Dropbox and got my extra 23 GB. Thanks!!!!

unstab1e1199

Oct 24, 2013
I'm running NusenceONE RC3. Opened an email for 23 gigs of space for having a ONE and finished a couple steps. My free space now shows I received the HTC One free space. Do I need this for another 23 gigs free?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For those who do not know, Dropbox has a promotion going on with HTC to give an addition 23gb of space for 2 years to people who use Sense 5. EXCEPT for whatever reason people on either Verizon or AT&T are not eligible for this promotion, which essentially means everyone here on the Verizon HTC One will not be able to get the free 25GB, at least that is how Verizon wants it to be.

I say F*** Y** Verizon, even though you do not want to give me the extra space, I am going to trick you into giving it to me and whoever else wants it!!

The workaround method I discovered is all thanks to Newtoroot and the amazing roms he releases!!

To get the 23gb of Dropbox space you will need to download Newts "[ROM] NOS v1.0.2 HTCOneVZW [JB 4.2.2 & Sense 5] 9/5/2013*GSM carrier support" ~*Links are at the bottom*~. There are two versions of the rom, one is to connect with Verizon's network and the GSM one is to connect with GSM networks, to get the dropbox promotion you need to download the GSM one. Even if you are on Verizon, you still want to download the GSM rom and install it. I can assure you that you will have no problems installing Newts GSM rom, the only thing that will not work is anything that requires you to be connected to a carrier network. During the installation of the ROM you will be given a lot of options for what you want installed and what you dont, the only thing you really need to have installed is Dropbox.

After the install, proceed with going through the phone setup, you *HAVE TO* connect to wifi for internet because you will not be able to connect to 3g or 4g. During the phones setup when you come to accounts page with GMail, Exchange, etc etc, you should see an option for Dropbox, click that. After logging in and clicking through the screens that come up such as the Camera Upload feature. Once you get to your list of folders in your Dropbox app, you should have an additional 23 gigs. You will get an email from Dropbox confirming the addition of 23 gigs to your account for 2 years.

After you get you have confirmed you received the additional 23gigs, all that is left to do is restore a nandroid backup or re-install your favorite rom and get back to business as usual with your phone, except now you have

If you do not have a Dropbox Account, use this link to create one - Sign Up for Dropbox- using this link will give you an additional 0.5 gigs of free space. Outside of this promotion, there are other ways to get free space from Dropbox, most of those ways are permanent additions to your account. Referral for example can get you a max of 16 gigs of free space, 0.5 gigs for you and the person you refer.

Here are some links, first is the official promotion website, next is confirmation you will receive after you log in to dropbox with the GSM rom, and the third link is to Newts ROM that makes all this possible, make sure you download the GSM version and hit "Thanks".
    HTC One - Dropbox Promotion Info
    Dropbox Promo Confirmation Example
    [ROM] NOS v1.0.2 HTCOneVZW [JB 4.2.2 & Sense 5] 9/5/2013*GSM carrier support

Thanks to newt's new rom, you can download the global version of NOS 2.0 and just select the GSM network type in the options and voila! I just did that on my One with great success.
    Thanks to newt's new rom, you can download the global version of NOS 2.0 and just select the GSM network type in the options and voila! I just did that on my One with great success.
    I wonder why VZW and AT&T aren't eligible...?

My guess would be because their combined customer base is like 200+ million so a LOT of people would be getting free 25GB and that would cut into Dropbox profits.

Anyway... Awesome! Good info :)
    so can we really just edit build.prop? that would be a lot less work/worry for m than flashing a ROM not made for the phone
    Why go through the hassle of getting 23GB of space for two years when you can get it for life, with 5GB per additional referral from Copy? I've been using Copy for awhile now and it beats Dropbox hands down. The UI on both the web and mobile devices are more robust (with embeddable links, per user link sharing and the like), it is just as fast if not faster, and the best thing, in my opinion is that shared folders do not fully count against your storage limit the way it does in Dropbox. For example, if there's a 750MB file shared among three people, each person's storage is reduced by only 250MB, not 750MB. The more that file is shared, the less the hit to one's storage as it is spread across the number of people sharing. Android app is awesome.

If interested, I have a referral link in my signature. I really think Copy is going to either kill Dropbox or force it to lower its absurd pricing and referral arrangement.

I still have the 25 free gigs I got from running one of Newts Roms last year...It's nice to have that extra space...

BTW, I have always read that Dropboxes offer was for two years, so they may not make that clear when you enter into the deal, but it was pretty common knowledge...