So is there a way out there to fix a real live brick

Search This thread

aer0zer0

Recognized Contributor
How did this device get to this state? Are you sure the charging circuit isn't blown?

Nope, Ill tell you what happened. I have been having problems with the evolution mods kernel rebooting my phone, after i tried the "fixed" version.

So i flashed the full firmware from the 1.55.602 update (im running a stock rom with bloating removed) and i removed the hboot from the zip. Since im running a custom hboot with the text removed. Thinking i could just reflash the stock kernel.

i flashed it, did a fastboot reboot and now its deader than a hammer.

no charge, no usb activity, no turn on. dead as can be. Ill take any and all suggestions. I know my way around pretty well, so im surprised that its bricked. But its the first M8 brick, unless someone has a clever idea?

aer0zer0

Recognized Contributor
Nope, Ill tell you what happened. I have been having problems with the evolution mods kernel rebooting my phone, after i tried the "fixed" version.

So i flashed the full firmware from the 1.55.602 update (im running a stock rom with bloating removed) and i removed the hboot from the zip. Since im running a custom hboot with the text removed. Thinking i could just reflash the stock kernel.

i flashed it, did a fastboot reboot and now its deader than a hammer.

no charge, no usb activity, no turn on. dead as can be. Ill take any and all suggestions. I know my way around pretty well, so im surprised that its bricked. But its the first M8 brick, unless someone has a clever idea?

In other news, i got a new phone, so i have brick with a good esn if anyine is interested, but i would rather find someone who would be willing to try and jtag it for the good of the community

l7777

May 2, 2007
My condolences on the device, but you sir should be applauded for not going the route of "warranty" on a device that died by your hand. Does seem odd that you can't even get it to charge though.

Reactions: ufkal

aer0zer0

Recognized Contributor
It's super bricked. I flash firmware on single board computers at my job for medical equipment. We have bricks occasionally. But we can jtag out of it. I assume the same can be done if there is a header location available on the processor board. Couldn't find anybody who has jtagd one yet to do it.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

blazinandroid1

May 1, 2014
LA
It's super bricked. I flash firmware on single board computers at my job for medical equipment. We have bricks occasionally. But we can jtag out of it. I assume the same can be done if there is a header location available on the processor board. Couldn't find anybody who has jtagd one yet to do it.

Do you have a hboot screen

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

beaups

Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 28, 2007
Dublin, OH

HTC doesn't bother to jtag. They just replace the motherboard.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

aer0zer0

Recognized Contributor
Yeah I'd be happy to take a look at it to see if there are any opportunities for software-based unbrick.

well, its at HTC (en route) right now. It should get there wed/thurs. If i get a bad case of sticker shock, illl get it sent back. If they can fix it for reasonable, then i will get it fixed. I am a big fan of your effort to free these android devices. So if they want too much, id be happy to send it to you. Maybe you can prevent the next one from occuring. BTW firewater is an amazing piece of work, i must say

beaups

Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 28, 2007
Dublin, OH
well, its at HTC (en route) right now. It should get there wed/thurs. If i get a bad case of sticker shock, illl get it sent back. If they can fix it for reasonable, then i will get it fixed. I am a big fan of your effort to free these android devices. So if they want too much, id be happy to send it to you. Maybe you can prevent the next one from occuring. BTW firewater is an amazing piece of work, i must say

No worries, hopefully you can get it fixed reasonable. Kudos for being honest about it, most people would claim warranty.

Actually I dont mind buying devices. Just for something like this I wouldnt feel good intentionally bricking a $600 device. I do it enough on accident ;)

Last edited:

aer0zer0

Recognized Contributor
No worries, hopefully you can get it fixed reasonable. Kudos for being honest about it, most people would claim warranty.

Actually I dont mind buying devices. Just for something like this I wouldnt feel good intentionally bricking a $600 device. I do it enough on accident ;)

So i had edged up from my M7, ended up selling that for 400. Got the M8, had 2 payments made, bricked it. So i had to pay off the 500 on the edge. Now whats interesting if you early payoff the edge, you are out of contract, COMPLETELY. So i ended up with a free standard upgrade, so i was able to edge again. thats a FYI if anyone is interested. Kinda sucks, but i made my money back already fixing computers this week. Any idea what i did wrong, i have flashed M7 & M8's & DNA's so many times....I know my way around. Im still baffled

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My condolences on the device, but you sir should be applauded for not going the route of "warranty" on a device that died by your hand. Does seem odd that you can't even get it to charge though.