[Q] Best ROM for captivate!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

jbcap43

Aug 30, 2010
Arkansas
Alright guys, getting a little bored with the stock ROM! What is the best ROM floating out there? Are all the ROM's just easily done with a update.zip file, or do you usually have to use Odin?

Zilch25

Jul 28, 2010
West Palm Beach, FL
Depends on what you're looking for... official Captivate firmwares other than JF6 are all internal test builds ATM. As far as ROMs go there's a decent variety of options to choose from, but they all depend on your personal preference.

However you've come in at sort of a transitional period, we've got lag fix kernels, we've got OC kernels, and we've got kernels that make I9000 ROMS work properly on the Captivate, but all of those things aren't yet merged.

I recommend you keep on reading, check out the different threads, figure out what suits you, and if you don't find what you're looking for- wait a week, I'm sure someone will come up with it :D

techmik67

Aug 19, 2010
Delray Beach, Florida
Depends on what you're looking for... official Captivate firmwares other than JF6 are all internal test builds ATM. As far as ROMs go there's a decent variety of options to choose from, but they all depend on your personal preference.

However you've come in at sort of a transitional period, we've got lag fix kernels, we've got OC kernels, and we've got kernels that make I9000 ROMS work properly on the Captivate, but all of those things aren't yet merged.

I recommend you keep on reading, check out the different threads, figure out what suits you, and if you don't find what you're looking for- wait a week, I'm sure someone will come up with it :D

/agree 100%!! :cool:

jbcap43

Aug 30, 2010
Arkansas
Really appreciate the replies guys!! I'll keep an eye out! What exactly is so special about the I9000 rom's?

Sent From My Captivate

Kaik541

Jun 26, 2010
Cedar Park, TX
Really appreciate the replies guys!! I'll keep an eye out! What exactly is so special about the I9000 rom's?

Sent From My Captivate

the i9000 ROMs are generally cleaner (less bloat, a little more streamlined). they're also more recent for the most part. they have other features that really comes down to user preference though. I enjoyed the i9000 ROM I ran much more than the stock captivate one.

I suggest trying it and comparing it to how you used JF6 and go with whichever feels better to you. Each ROM has it's own bugs. Last time I ran an i9000 ROM was JM5 and it refused to clear message/e-mail alerts unless you manually backed all the way out, can't say if it's fixed yet with later releases.

Zilch25

Jul 28, 2010
West Palm Beach, FL

Sent From My Captivate

They're a bit more mature development-wise. The I9000 has been on the market longer is and is ATM Samsungs "baby" so they're getting all the newest updates. In addition their firmwares don't include any of the bloat that the Captivate has since international carriers don't care about stupid crap like "AT&T Navigator"- they also don't care if people can sideload.

Don't get me wrong, cross pollinating I9000 ROMS can have their own little annoyances, like flaky haptic feedback and scuh, but the reorient kernel takes care of the really big issues.

One thing you should REALLY look into before you start flashing ANYTHING is whether or not your phone is capable of using button combinations to get into recovery and download mode. Some of the newer handsets arent. A good starting point would be to turn off your phone... let it shut down completely, then hold both volume buttons and power on. If you get into the recovery menu, GREAT.

Next step (Assuming you passed the first), power off your phone, hold both volume buttons, and plug in USB, if you get the android guy with the shovel that means you're good to go, you'll have to yank battery to reset from this point, but this verifies you can achieve download mode, which means game on for careless flashing!

ewingr

Dec 1, 2007
One thing you should REALLY look into before you start flashing ANYTHING is whether or not your phone is capable of using button combinations to get into recovery and download mode. Some of the newer handsets arent. A good starting point would be to turn off your phone... let it shut down completely, then hold both volume buttons and power on. If you get into the recovery menu, GREAT.

I've seen mention of people being unable to achieve that. I presumed they were just getting the timing wrong.

So if you fail that, does it mean you are unable to change ROM?

iamamp3pimp

Jul 30, 2010
no,it just means that you will have to be more careful, and that you may not be able to fix your phone if anything goes wrong.

ice3186

Feb 26, 2008
my 2 cents

Well for what it is worth. this is my daily driver as of now.

I went into odin and flashed back to stock.

Flashed the i9000 JM8 rom( the Phone CODE file from JM8 and the CSC from JM5)

Then flashed the stock captivate kernal and the .512 pit file

once that is done i flashed Unhelpfuls kernal over to OC

Then i flashed the Tatumia(sp) rom over it.

Ran the OCLF app from the market and changed my scheduler to deadline.

It is by far the best for real world performance and my quadrants are in the 2200-2300 range(like it matters).

Enjoy

P.s. i have flashed i am sure every other combination of roms and kernals and stuff. Voodoo kernal is freaking awesome but i cant get Clockwork to work with it and that is just not okay with me!

ewingr

Dec 1, 2007
I just found the long thread about this topic here. Haven't read through it all yet. Won't bother unless I find I end up with a phone with that problem.

jbcap43

Aug 30, 2010
Arkansas
okay, so what's so special about this ROM the cyanogen mod? When will this be available...?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

flashman2002

Aug 8, 2010
Derby/Wichita Kansas
okay, so what's so special about this ROM the cyanogen mod? When will this be available...?

Nobody knows when it will be available since it is only getting Vibrant support to start. Cyanogen mod is probably the most popular ROM for Android, I don't know much about it though. They have a wiki page and a website for information.

Kaik541

Jun 26, 2010
Cedar Park, TX

cyanogenmod is a HUGELY supported ROM based on AOSP (android open source project) with various tweaks to improve usability. as for release, well the only rule about cyanogenmod is that you don't ask for release dates :)

officially, the Captivate isn't even supported, only the Vibrant is. But as shown, moving things over from Vibrant to Captivate isn't terribly difficult, but still takes time and we'll need someone to maintain it (cyanogen does not release/support devices it doesn't expect to work properly on). support for the vibrant is slated for 6.1 (which will probably be November, it's hard to say)

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
let me pop in and say there is no "Best Rom" just best for you. We all look for different things in the roms we use so it really is a trial and error. Just make sure to read, read and read some more to make sure you have everything set up right and dont end up with a big brick.

I am closing this.

good luck with your rom search

Status
Not open for further replies.