Best cloud storage for viewing files online?

Search This thread

jonas000

Jan 15, 2012
I'm looking for a cloud storage app for my phone, I need to be able to get access to pics and other media files?

drewy

Dec 17, 2005
if security is a must take a look at wuala, not as user friendly as dropbox but it is secure.

H-Cim

Sep 13, 2010
For non-personal data (video,photo) -> Dropbox/Boxee/Skydrive depending on your need.

For personal data (personal documents) -> Wuala (Secured, none except you can access your files, not even Wuala. Files get encrypted before sending to server).

globalgpj

Aug 26, 2006
Australia
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
For non-personal data (video,photo) -> Dropbox/Boxee/Skydrive depending on your need.

For personal data (personal documents) -> Wuala (Secured, none except you can access your files, not even Wuala. Files get encrypted before sending to server).

Let's face it. Depending what you are tyring to secure, nothing is unbreakable. Whoever develops the encryption, generally has a back door. Be sure NSA, has a way.So nothing is safe. You have to develop other ways to be secure.

This is from Wuala's "About us"
"Nobody - not even we as storage provider - can access your data without your authorization. "

Your authorization is the key word here.

Then read in fine detail in the EULA what you Agreed To, when you accepted the use of their software.

MrGarak

Oct 20, 2010
Dublin
+1 for Wuala, even hosted my ROM there, but I'll also be using Dropbox a bit more now thanks to HTC :p

Bottom line, they're both very good in my experience.

HTC Bravo

Sep 10, 2011
In my opinion Dropbox gives a really good service with an awesome integration on our Android phones. If you've got a data plan there are more possibilities, for example you can share a photo/video/data with your friends in a public folder so your friends can check out this folder whenever they want.
Definitely, Dropbox is gorgeous :D

H-Cim

Sep 13, 2010
Let's face it. Depending what you are tyring to secure, nothing is unbreakable. Whoever develops the encryption, generally has a back door. Be sure NSA, has a way.So nothing is safe. You have to develop other ways to be secure.

This is from Wuala's "About us"
"Nobody - not even we as storage provider - can access your data without your authorization. "

Your authorization is the key word here.

Then read in fine detail in the EULA what you Agreed To, when you accepted the use of their software.

I'm not saying it unbreakable, just less breakable then Dropbox. Which is important if there are some personal documents in it.

baum01

Dec 26, 2010
Midlands
I'm not saying it unbreakable, just less breakable then Dropbox. Which is important if there are some personal documents in it.

But what kind of documents are we talking about here? A shopping list? A degree certificate? A CV? People really fuss about personal security nowadays. I believe dropbox when they say that they're not giving out information without a court order and even then inform the user first. Why? Because if there was a single substantial case that they provided information with less than that, they'd soon be out of business. Hello anonymous-and-whatever-else-backed ****storm.

Let's face it, 99.98% of us aren't important enough to be spied upon in a cautiously planned and we'll executed manner. And even then we should be rather worried about our post, calls and home.

A social security number? Credit card pin? Dropbox + Keepass ftw.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using XDA

H-Cim

Sep 13, 2010
But what kind of documents are we talking about here? A shopping list? A degree certificate? A CV? People really fuss about personal security nowadays. I believe dropbox when they say that they're not giving out information without a court order and even then inform the user first. Why? Because if there was a single substantial case that they provided information with less than that, they'd soon be out of business. Hello anonymous-and-whatever-else-backed ****storm.

Let's face it, 99.98% of us aren't important enough to be spied upon in a cautiously planned and we'll executed manner. And even then we should be rather worried about our post, calls and home.

A social security number? Credit card pin? Dropbox + Keepass ftw.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using XDA

Nah It's not because I'm paranoid, I just prefer my documents like college stuff, bank account stuff (not the login info obviously), bills, contracts to be encrypted before they are uploaded.

If you can encrypt your documents for free anyway, why don't do so? (You never know if Dropbox/Wuala get hacked, I rather have a little layer of security then).

marksmithbvs

Aug 12, 2011
In my opinion Dropbox, Box, Google Drive, and SkyDrive will be the perfect fit for the mentioned task. From the box android app when you signup you get 50 GB free space for life time. It a free app and easy to use and with Dropbox, you will get 5GB of storage free. You may also browse some useful information on best cloud storage providers!

fridgie

Jan 26, 2012
Brisbane
Dropbox for me is better than sugarsync or box.net, the weak point only give 2.5 GB:p

I use Dropbox heavily, friends around Australia all share through it so have access to all our photos and videos (we 4wd quite a lot :cool: )

Carry out as many space earning things as you can, I got 4 or 5GB doing that, plus 25GB for the one x deal and 50GB for the S3 LTE deal so currently have 80GB storage space :p