IMEI lost and recovered!

Search This thread

drfr

Jul 6, 2011
Púchov, Slovakia
Hey guys,

I decided to share my horrible experience - as title says - with lost IMEI.
Some of you may remember that couple of months ago there were some posts here regarding lost IMEI and possible solutions and questions how is it possible to loose IMEI in the first place.
I remember at least three guys managed to do that by running "fastboot erase all".

What was my story?
Yesterday I decided to flash a new recovery (last two months I haven´t flashed anything and wasn´t active on the forum because of lack of time and I started to show signs of withdrawal syndrome :eek:). My first mistake was that I flashed non-gpe recovery to my device with GPE rom, obviously that couldn´t work because of incompatibility in file systems. Nevermind, that happened before and it´s easy to go back to a proper recovery. But not this time. Tried hundred times, but flashing with fastboot always ended up by "OKAY" but the old recovery remained in place for some reason unknown to me. And also the system wouldn´t boot. Out of desperation I ran "fastboot erase recovery", that wouldn´t help either. In the end I got out of the situation by booting (not flashing) to a proper recovery (fastboot boot recovery recovery.img) and restoring system from a nandroid backup. All seemed fine. ROM booted OK and then I realized I had no service and IMEI: unknown.
The only reason for that was obviously this unfortunate move: fastboot erase recovery. Anything else I did was pretty much "normal".

Here comes the second part of the story.
I downloaded my cloud-stored pds.img backup (lucky me I have it I thought to myself) but that didn´t prove to be of any use.
When running

Code:
adb shell
su
dd if=/sdcard/pds.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/pds
as seen on
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2537119

nothing happened. Dd ran too fast, just a fraction of a second and after reboot still IMEI: unknown.

To cut the long story short, after hours of searching for a possible solution (and thinking what would be my next phone) I finally came across this post:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=45881991&postcount=86
and tried that very easy method and it worked!

Takeaway messages:
1. don´t use fastboot erase "all" or "recovery" (other partitions may be erased without problems)
2. pds partition backup and restore method didn´t work for me
3. working solution (at least for me):
Remove sim, flash stock firmware using standard methods, boot to home screen, power off, insert sim, reboot and your IMEI should be back!

Last edited:

deej_roamer

Mar 19, 2014
Hey guys,

Some of you may remember that couple of months ago there were some posts here regarding lost IMEI and possible solutions and questions how is it possible to loose IMEI in the first place.
I remember at least three guys managed to do that by running "fastboot erase all".

What was my story?
Yesterday I decided to flash a new recovery (last two months I haven´t flashed anything and wasn´t active on the forum because of lack of time and I started to show signs of withdrawal syndrome :eek:). My first mistake was that I flashed non-gpe recovery to my device with GPE rom, obviously that couldn´t work because of incompatibility in file systems. Nevermind, that happend before and it´s easy to go back to a proper recovery. But not this time. Tried hundred times, but flashing with fastboot always ended up by "OKAY" but the old recovery remained in place for some reason unknown to me. And also the system wouldn´t boot. Out of desperation I ran "fastboot erase recovery", that wouldn´t help either. In the end I got out of the situation by booting (not flashing) to a proper recovery (fastboot boot recovery recovery.img) and restoring system from a nandroid backup. All seemed fine. ROM booted OK and then I realised I have no service and IMEI: unknown.
The only reason for that was obviously this unfortunate move: fastboot erase recovery. Anything else I did was pretty much "normal".

I downloaded my cloud-stored pds.img backup (lucky me I have it I thought to myself) but that didn´t prove to be of any use.
When running

Code:
adb shell
su
as seen on

nothing happend. Dd ran too fast, just a fraction of a second and after reboot still IMEI: unknown.

To cut the long story short, after hours of searching for a possible solution (and thinking what would be my next phone) I finally came across this post:

Takeaway messsages:
1. don´t use fastboot erase "all" or "recovery" (other partitions may be erased without problems)
Remove sim, flash stock firmware using standard methods, boot to home screen, power off, insert sim, reboot and you´re IMEI should be back!

Is it possible?
Probably your pds partition was never corrupted! IMEI was there the whole time and ROM had some problems?

Last edited:
Reactions: nikhil pujari

drfr

Jul 6, 2011
Púchov, Slovakia
Is it possible?
Probably your pds partition was never corrupted! IMEI was there the whole time and ROM had some problems?

Well, we don´t know what is happening exactly but we do know that a couple of people including me ran into problems after running fastboot erase all or fastboot erase recovery. I ´m describing here a method that could help the other guys or somebody else in the future.

deej_roamer

Mar 19, 2014
Well, we don´t know what is happening exactly but we do know that a couple of people including me ran into problems after running fastboot erase all or fastboot erase recovery. I ´m describing here a method that could help the other guys or somebody else in the future.

Oh I am not criticising your work, I encourage it! I just pointed my point of view!

matmutant

Mar 17, 2011
~/
andrux-and-me.blogspot.com
Moto G
Moto E
Added to FAQ (in the lost IMEI section), i also think that contrary to an erase all, the IMEI was not exactly lost but not readable by system (file system issue? misread cluster reading frame ? no idea) and that would explain the recover fail in the first place.

this is cool you could recover it by flashing stock, so i added your story to FAQ in case it happens again to anyone :)

Reactions: japoina92 and drfr

drfr

Jul 6, 2011
Púchov, Slovakia
... i also think that contrary to an erase all, the IMEI was not exactly lost but not readable by system (file system issue? misread cluster reading frame ? no idea) and that would explain the recover fail in the first place.

Just adding some more information after searching through old threads.
I can see there were some little differences between my situation (loosing IMEI after fastboot erase recovery) and the situation of those guys who ran fastboot erase all.
In my case, I was getting IMEI unknown, they were getting IMEI 0. My baseband was also unknown, but their showed some number, but a wrong one.
There was one thing which we had in common though. We were able to see our correct IMEIs through fastboot getvar all, but not inside the ROM.

So Mat, you are obviously right in supposing that the IMEI was still stored SOMEWHERE only the system couldn´t read it, but not only in my case.

Hopefully the other guys will be able to find this thread and try my method.

Reactions: matmutant

RestlessScreams

Oct 17, 2012
I can see there were some little differences between my situation (loosing IMEI after fastboot erase recovery) and the situation of those guys who ran fastboot erase all.
In my case, I was getting IMEI unknown, they were getting IMEI 0. My baseband was also unknown, but their showed some number, but a wrong one.
There was one thing which we had in common though. We were able to see our correct IMEIs through fastboot getvar all, but not inside the ROM.

So Mat, you are obviously right in supposing that the IMEI was still stored SOMEWHERE only the system couldn´t read it, but not only in my case.

Gonna try this if I can find some time, even if I don't realy got any hope left after flashing the hell out of this phone..

surfino

May 27, 2013
GB
meettomy.site
Sorry guys, I don´t know of any other method yet, but if you can see IMEI through fastboot getvar there SHOULD be a chance.

What about this?
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1827089

thanks mate for your effort!
Sadly fastboot oem writeimei is unsupported in moto g

---------- Post added at 11:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

Sorry guys, I don´t know of any other method yet, but if you can see IMEI through fastboot getvar there SHOULD be a chance.

What about this?
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1827089

about where is SHOULD be, when u do fastboot erase all it deletes those:

modemst1
modemst2
hob
dhob
fsg
fsc
clogo

Reactions: japoina92

japoina92

Dec 20, 2011
Jerez D.L.F
The same situation... Can somebody share the pds folder? I assume that it contains imei.

i've tried edit the pds.img file from other Moto G XT1032, edit with hex workshop, find the line for imei number and edit with my imei ( back in battery ) flash the pds.img with flashable zip in respective partition and no good news... the imei remain in IMEI = 0 :S :(

Reactions: lost101

Younboy69

Jul 17, 2010
recover imei moto g

i've tried edit the pds.img file from other Moto G XT1032, edit with hex workshop, find the line for imei number and edit with my imei ( back in battery ) flash the pds.img with flashable zip in respective partition and no good news... the imei remain in IMEI = 0 :S :(

Hi friend, how did you get flash pds.img into a .zip file, please guide me about the way, thanks in advance

sebastiandg7

Mar 8, 2014
Cali
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra

Hi friend, how did you get flash pds.img into a .zip file, please guide me about the way, thanks in advance

BUMP: any news on this guys?

What if we try @japoina92 method, having a new pds.img and restoring it via adb?
@japoina92 can you explain me how to use the hex workshop?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,

What was my story?
    Yesterday I decided to flash a new recovery (last two months I haven´t flashed anything and wasn´t active on the forum because of lack of time and I started to show signs of withdrawal syndrome :eek:). My first mistake was that I flashed non-gpe recovery to my device with GPE rom, obviously that couldn´t work because of incompatibility in file systems. Nevermind, that happened before and it´s easy to go back to a proper recovery. But not this time. Tried hundred times, but flashing with fastboot always ended up by "OKAY" but the old recovery remained in place for some reason unknown to me. And also the system wouldn´t boot. Out of desperation I ran "fastboot erase recovery", that wouldn´t help either. In the end I got out of the situation by booting (not flashing) to a proper recovery (fastboot boot recovery recovery.img) and restoring system from a nandroid backup. All seemed fine. ROM booted OK and then I realized I had no service and IMEI: unknown.

When running

Code:
    adb shell
    su
    as seen on

nothing happened. Dd ran too fast, just a fraction of a second and after reboot still IMEI: unknown.

Takeaway messages:
    Remove sim, flash stock firmware using standard methods, boot to home screen, power off, insert sim, reboot and your IMEI should be back!
    Is it possible?

Added to FAQ (in the lost IMEI section), i also think that contrary to an erase all, the IMEI was not exactly lost but not readable by system (file system issue? misread cluster reading frame ? no idea) and that would explain the recover fail in the first place.

this is cool you could recover it by flashing stock, so i added your story to FAQ in case it happens again to anyone :)
    Hey guys,

What was my story?
    Yesterday I decided to flash a new recovery (last two months I haven´t flashed anything and wasn´t active on the forum because of lack of time and I started to show signs of withdrawal syndrome :eek:). My first mistake was that I flashed non-gpe recovery to my device with GPE rom, obviously that couldn´t work because of incompatibility in file systems. Nevermind, that happend before and it´s easy to go back to a proper recovery. But not this time. Tried hundred times, but flashing with fastboot always ended up by "OKAY" but the old recovery remained in place for some reason unknown to me. And also the system wouldn´t boot. Out of desperation I ran "fastboot erase recovery", that wouldn´t help either. In the end I got out of the situation by booting (not flashing) to a proper recovery (fastboot boot recovery recovery.img) and restoring system from a nandroid backup. All seemed fine. ROM booted OK and then I realised I have no service and IMEI: unknown.

When running

Code:
    adb shell
    su
    as seen on

nothing happend. Dd ran too fast, just a fraction of a second and after reboot still IMEI: unknown.

Takeaway messsages:
    Remove sim, flash stock firmware using standard methods, boot to home screen, power off, insert sim, reboot and you´re IMEI should be back!

Is it possible?
    ... i also think that contrary to an erase all, the IMEI was not exactly lost but not readable by system (file system issue? misread cluster reading frame ? no idea) and that would explain the recover fail in the first place.