[Q] Nook Color Root?

Search This thread

pokey9000

Apr 17, 2007
Austin

TheDoctor1971

Jul 3, 2008
This will give you a root shell but there's not a whole lot else at this point until further developments are made.

Latest info:

[04:00:25] <[mbm]> http://www.multiupload.com/R6U2NEMXHI <- uImage
[04:02:27] <[mbm]> http://www.multiupload.com/MJY8SS8BAB .. there's the sdcard image
[04:03:10] <[mbm]> dd to an sdcard, wait for fastboot and then run 'fastboot boot uImage' with the previous file
[04:04:03] <[mbm]> when the kernel boots there will be a serial and ethernet device on usb
[04:04:29] <[mbm]> ethernet runs telnet and ssh
[04:04:37] <[mbm]> serial is a getty
[04:13:54] <[mbm]> usb ethernet on the nook is 192.168.2.2

So what you get is a new usb interface called usb0 (on both the nook and your linux box)

set the linux box's usb0 to 192.168.2.1 and you should be able to ssh to the nook on 192.168.2.2. root has no password. takes a long time to generate ssh keys so be patient. Also, its 5am here and I'm half asleep.. so hopefully this all makes some sort of sense.

Last edited:
S

sincere8

So has anyone dd'ed the nook flash to file, so we can look thru it?

TheDoctor1971

Jul 3, 2008
Yeah, pokey did. Although he's asleep now
I'm working on connecting to mine via ssh right now. I'll amend my post above with better instructions shortly.

Spookymonster

Jun 12, 2010
Nice! May have to rethink putting off that NC purchase now...
just to jump back to soft buttons again, is this something that could be done on the system level, or would it require each app to be modified to show it?

clockworx

Jun 7, 2009
Nice! May have to rethink putting off that NC purchase now...
just to jump back to soft buttons again, is this something that could be done on the system level, or would it require each app to be modified to show it?

Hah, I just ordered mine after putting it off.

Softbuttons generally end up in the notification bar (which can be tweaked in size to accommodate them if desired), so you don't have to add them to every app. The only issue that raises (that I am aware of) is that for some full-screen apps the notification bar isn't visible. If soft buttons are added, it might be possible to modify the Nook button to force the notification bar display.

madsquabbles

Jan 31, 2009
Hah, I just ordered mine after putting it off.

Softbuttons generally end up in the notification bar (which can be tweaked in size to accommodate them if desired), so you don't have to add them to every app. The only issue that raises (that I am aware of) is that for some full-screen apps the notification bar isn't visible. If soft buttons are added, it might be possible to modify the Nook button to force the notification bar display.

it would be just like the archos 70 and 101, but better since they would be so dang big and cover important parts of games and programs.

pokey9000

Apr 17, 2007
Austin
This will give you a root shell but there's not a whole lot else at this point until further developments are made.

set the linux box's usb0 to 192.168.2.1 and you should be able to ssh to the nook on 192.168.2.2. root has no password. takes a long time to generate ssh keys so be patient. Also, its 5am here and I'm half asleep.. so hopefully this all makes some sort of sense.

The cake goes to [mbm] here. The UART serial port was helpful for getting the kernel running but not very useful for NC users at large. If he doesn't beat me to it then tonight I'll build a u-boot.bin that autoboots uImage from the card. Then Windows users should be able to share in the fun.

dirtygreek

Nov 18, 2010
The cake goes to [mbm] here. The UART serial port was helpful for getting the kernel running but not very useful for NC users at large. If he doesn't beat me to it then tonight I'll build a u-boot.bin that autoboots uImage from the card. Then Windows users should be able to share in the fun.

You guys are awesome.

pokey9000

Apr 17, 2007
Austin
A warning to anyone who wants to play around with the filesystems: It looks like partition 2 (mmcblk1p2) has some config files that get loaded by the bootloader including some sort of encryption key, WiFi radio calibration data, and the MAC address. I'm confident that destroying this won't kill your NC, but it will most likely keep you from running stock firmware again.

clockworx

Jun 7, 2009
A warning to anyone who wants to play around with the filesystems: It looks like partition 2 (mmcblk1p2) has some config files that get loaded by the bootloader including some sort of encryption key, WiFi radio calibration data, and the MAC address. I'm confident that destroying this won't kill your NC, but it will most likely keep you from running stock firmware again.

If we clone the internal flash image to an SD card, do you think should we be able to run the stock firmware as a "starting point" for modding/testing?

pokey9000

Apr 17, 2007
Austin
If we clone the internal flash image to an SD card, do you think should we be able to run the stock firmware as a "starting point" for modding/testing?

Yep. The u-boot in flash has a fairly complicated set of boot strings that will continue to boot from the SD if it started booting from SD. However the mountpoints are hardcoded in the ramdisk, so we'll have to edit and repack that. Unless someone knows a kernel command line option to swap mmcblk devices.

axe2

Dec 15, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Clockwork Recovery

Would it be possible to build an sdcard image with Clockwork Recovery? If so, this would give us ADB and nandroid backup.

sudermatt

Nov 26, 2003
thousand oaks
Would it be possible to build an sdcard image with Clockwork Recovery? If so, this would give us ADB and nandroid backup.

I would wager it will be more like the latest bootstrap recover they have for the Droid2& X.

Thesebphones are pretty looked down right now ...apparently the bootstrap does a temporary string command that forces boot to recovery.

I don't know the techy details....but it sounds like that's what they're doing for these" locked down" devices.

modembug

Feb 9, 2009
[12:23] <[mbm]> got adb
[12:23] <[mbm]> :D
[12:23] <zer0her0> w00t
[12:24] <[mbm]> and since I did ro.secure=0 it's a root shell :)

[12:34] <[mbm]> new app in extras
[12:34] <zer0her0> [mbm]: w00t^

[12:35] * [mbm] looks for a copy of angry birds
[12:35] <zer0her0> heh
[12:35] <a1fa> i got one :)
[12:35] <a1fa> argh argh argh
[12:35] * Mytos oh **** we just lost mbm for a week
[12:35] <Man-0-War> HAHAHAHAH
[12:35] <pokey9000> [mbm]: we all owe you beer
[12:35] <IOMonster> this thing has the potential to be an amazing device, we just gotta 'fix' it first
[12:36] <[mbm]> first apk failed because of missing android libs
[12:36] <pokey9000> [mbm] does adb shell work?
[12:36] <[mbm]> yep, used adb to install

Last edited:
Reactions: Tschumi

jerrygon

Jun 23, 2007
Miramar, FL
OMG OMG OMG... We are getting close to unleashing this device!

[12:23] <[mbm]> got adb
[12:23] <[mbm]> :D
[12:23] <zer0her0> w00t
[12:24] <[mbm]> and since I did ro.secure=0 it's a root shell :)

[12:34] <[mbm]> new app in extras
[12:34] <zer0her0> [mbm]: w00t^

[12:35] * [mbm] looks for a copy of angry birds
[12:35] <zer0her0> heh
[12:35] <a1fa> i got one :)
[12:35] <a1fa> argh argh argh
[12:35] * Mytos oh **** we just lost mbm for a week
[12:35] <Man-0-War> HAHAHAHAH
[12:35] <pokey9000> [mbm]: we all owe you beer
[12:35] <IOMonster> this thing has the potential to be an amazing device, we just gotta 'fix' it first
[12:36] <[mbm]> first apk failed because of missing android libs
[12:36] <pokey9000> [mbm] does adb shell work?
[12:36] <[mbm]> yep, used adb to install

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    IMG_8539.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8540.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8541.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8542.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8543.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8544.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8545.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8546.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8547.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8548.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8548.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8550.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8551.JPG

<br>

ok guys. this is the underside of the board. i took a ton of pictures. i put my NC bac together. still working as it should :)

hope this little contribution helps. im quite excited for android 2.2 on my nook. this device "feels" very well built, and its really the size i want. now we just need a real andoid experience and ill be one happy nook color owner.

let me know if we need any more photos or close ups, i can borrow a macro lens if wee need photos of something really close up
    Nova: Google nookdevs they have a website that has a step by step guide for windows linux and mac that is a product of this monstrous thread and work done apart from xda. I know this thread is a beast.
    [15:47] <[mbm]> ooh .. a reboot later and I have angry birds
    [15:48] <[mbm]> no xml edit needed
    [15:48] <tenequalstwo> I'm jealous....
    [15:48] <[mbm]> and it runs
    oooooooooooooooooooh!
    IMG_8528.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8529.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8530.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8531.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8532.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8533.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8534.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8535.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8536.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8537.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8538.JPG

<br>
    builing an MLO file ?

pokey and i have reached a consensus and im sure occip agrees although i havent spoken with him about it yet. that weve reached an impass at the moment and will have to wait on b&n to release their source code. from what weve found at the moment to do what we plan without source would require us to stumble down a blind maze and hope to find our way through. hopefully with a little patience b&n will release for the nc the way they did for the original nooks where they give full source including bootloaders, and then itll be easy street for us to either create our own roms or port an existing rom i.e. cyanogenmod.

in the meantime, if everybody could continue just testing whatever they can think of, and continue posting any ideas or what you find here or on #nookdevs we can keep this going as quickly and smoothly as it has went so far!

remember every little bit helps even if you think it may be useless we can still try to use it!!

I don't agree completly with you. We can experiment few things and develop some POCs like ... The MLO must fit in the 64k sram of the omap3621. We can do a lot a things within 64k like initialise the musb and send the emmc content through it. I'm working to customize my MLO file (from igep 020 card which is a very good one !) after success I will able to compile the same file for NC. Now my NC is somewhere between Los Angeles and Europe :) I hope to receive it soon ...

Cheers

Occip