[Q] Nook Color Root?

Search This thread

Zed Snardbody

Oct 15, 2010
Ok this might be a stupid question but I was wondering if those more knowledgeable think the new Nook Color tablet/eReader might be rootable?

I'm only asking since it does seem to be running a heavily skinned version of android, and I doubt that they'll release a Kindle app for it :D

I wouldn't even bother asking really but the price point is tempting.

epakrat75

Aug 11, 2010
Chicago
Anything running android is more than likely rootable unless it has special hardware like the HTC G2 or Moto Droid2 to prevent such things. However...without any way of turning USB debugging on from the interface, even issuing commands through the ADB / SDK might not be of much use. The device may present its' own unique set of challenges.

cabbieBot

Apr 5, 2010
twitter.com
im very much hoping to see whether XDA can root it. The original nook was extremely simple to root.

A rooted $250 tablet with a vividview screen with anti-glare laminant running cyanogen and android market access would be tremendous.

Mastiff

Jan 17, 2005
It would be my son's Christmas present for sure! If I like it I'll get another one for myself... But it has to be rooted so I can install at least a real office suite (the one that comes with it only views M$ Office documents, you can't edit them. And of course I need a comic book reader for that nice monitor. It's almost the size of a good old Marvel or DC comic!

sprntrl

Nov 20, 2009
From the look of the device, it appears to only have 1 'hard' button ('n') rather than the 4 standard android buttons (home, menu, search, back). How would this be addressed if the device is indeed rootable?

I guess there could be a UI overlay/modification for stock android (via launcher) that uses the 'n' button to activate an on-screen "drawer" that contains all 4 buttons.

Mastiff

Jan 17, 2005
Anything's possible with the wiz kids (and older wiz dudes) on this board!

svet-am

May 25, 2010
Colorado
From the look of the device, it appears to only have 1 'hard' button ('n') rather than the 4 standard android buttons (home, menu, search, back). How would this be addressed if the device is indeed rootable?

I guess there could be a UI overlay/modification for stock android (via launcher) that uses the 'n' button to activate an on-screen "drawer" that contains all 4 buttons.

I saw a "dead" demo unit today and they appear to have four hard buttons (not all of which useful): power, vol+, vol-, nook.

I don't know if it will be possible on the NookColor, but other "single button" android tablets have been hacked to use the hard volume buttons as menu and back and simply ignore search.

cjthebest

Nov 7, 2010
I agree! The Nook Color apparently has processor that is comparable to the Motorola X and Droid 2. I think that it would be amazing if it is rooted and could run Stock Android and the Market! Then it would be kind of like the Galaxy Tab, except for some hardware but they both have the same IPS screen resolution, and the Nook costs a lot less money. I already ordered mine. Can't wait to see what happens!

Uglyboyed

Jul 16, 2010
It would be my son's Christmas present for sure! If I like it I'll get another one for myself... But it has to be rooted so I can install at least a real office suite (the one that comes with it only views M$ Office documents, you can't edit them. And of course I need a comic book reader for that nice monitor. It's almost the size of a good old Marvel or DC comic!

This would be awesome if they can add in a nice comic book reader and subscription service like the newsstand they are pushing so hard. 75% of Ipad/Galaxy Tab Power for half the price. Preordered one for me and one for the wife :) :cool:

Mastiff

Jan 17, 2005
Preordered for my son for Christmas. Hope they root it so he can read his comic books on it!

spiderboyy

Nov 14, 2009
New York
Archos

Assuming the Nook Color can be rooted, there may be a simple solution to the hardware buttons. If anyone has seen the Archos 7o or Archos 101, both of those have no hardware buttons for menu, home, back etc. Instead, they have an overlay of those buttons on the screen of the device. They're always there so it's like they're hardware buttons. It seems like a small sacrifice to make for a $250 7 inch Android tablet. Depending on the amount of RAM it has, its a winner for me

rutter9

Dec 31, 2007
Haha I bought this solely with the hopes of this being rooted. The only issue I see is being able to enable USB debugging to root.

InGeNeTiCs

May 31, 2007
Haha I bought this solely with the hopes of this being rooted. The only issue I see is being able to enable USB debugging to root.

You should be able to get adb access in recovery mode right? Just modify the adb driver with the hardware id and that should get things moving. Then you just need to enable it in the os somehow...There must be some sort of toolkit somewhere. Hmmmm....I might pick up one of these tonight to do some digging. I just need to figure out how to justify it to the wife!

Mastiff

Jan 17, 2005
Tonight? I thought they weren't out until Friday next week... As for the wife you need to do what I do: Let her buy a new dress or something. That always helps! ;)

Last edited:

rutter9

Dec 31, 2007
Tonight? I thought they weren't out until Friday next week... As for the wife you need to do what I do: Let her buy a new dress or something. That always helps! ;)

Preorders shipped early. Mine actually comes in tomorrow! They claim November 19th but that's for preorders. Not sure what the store's deals are probably have to call.

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
But the question is, does this have the horsepower to get stock Android 2.2/2.3 working smoothly?

krypticos

May 5, 2010
Morgantown
i cant wait to see what gets done with the nook. if it gets rooted and froyo on it ill go out and buy one just for that. i want a tablet but everything that has been coming out is not what im looking for. like the samsung tab really nice tablet but way to expensive.

micro2112

Aug 25, 2010
Columbus, OH
You should be able to get adb access in recovery mode right? Just modify the adb driver with the hardware id and that should get things moving. Then you just need to enable it in the os somehow...There must be some sort of toolkit somewhere. Hmmmm....I might pick up one of these tonight to do some digging. I just need to figure out how to justify it to the wife!

Im no developer, but would it be possible to inject a debugging flag via a website? kinda like jailbreakme used the pdf exploit to inject its bootrom but way less complicated id think..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    IMG_8539.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8540.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8541.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8542.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8543.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8544.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8545.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8546.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8547.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8548.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8548.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8550.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8551.JPG

<br>

ok guys. this is the underside of the board. i took a ton of pictures. i put my NC bac together. still working as it should :)

hope this little contribution helps. im quite excited for android 2.2 on my nook. this device "feels" very well built, and its really the size i want. now we just need a real andoid experience and ill be one happy nook color owner.

let me know if we need any more photos or close ups, i can borrow a macro lens if wee need photos of something really close up
    Nova: Google nookdevs they have a website that has a step by step guide for windows linux and mac that is a product of this monstrous thread and work done apart from xda. I know this thread is a beast.
    [15:47] <[mbm]> ooh .. a reboot later and I have angry birds
    [15:48] <[mbm]> no xml edit needed
    [15:48] <tenequalstwo> I'm jealous....
    [15:48] <[mbm]> and it runs
    oooooooooooooooooooh!
    IMG_8528.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8529.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8530.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8531.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8532.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8533.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8534.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8535.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8536.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8537.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8538.JPG

<br>
    builing an MLO file ?

pokey and i have reached a consensus and im sure occip agrees although i havent spoken with him about it yet. that weve reached an impass at the moment and will have to wait on b&n to release their source code. from what weve found at the moment to do what we plan without source would require us to stumble down a blind maze and hope to find our way through. hopefully with a little patience b&n will release for the nc the way they did for the original nooks where they give full source including bootloaders, and then itll be easy street for us to either create our own roms or port an existing rom i.e. cyanogenmod.

in the meantime, if everybody could continue just testing whatever they can think of, and continue posting any ideas or what you find here or on #nookdevs we can keep this going as quickly and smoothly as it has went so far!

remember every little bit helps even if you think it may be useless we can still try to use it!!

I don't agree completly with you. We can experiment few things and develop some POCs like ... The MLO must fit in the 64k sram of the omap3621. We can do a lot a things within 64k like initialise the musb and send the emmc content through it. I'm working to customize my MLO file (from igep 020 card which is a very good one !) after success I will able to compile the same file for NC. Now my NC is somewhere between Los Angeles and Europe :) I hope to receive it soon ...

Cheers

Occip