Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

ThexJoker

Dec 20, 2011
Bochum
Hey Guys!

1. Prolog

I found a way to Mod GTA III for Android. Ok, I didn't find a new way. It's the same way as the computer with some little indirrection. Befor I start telling you how to Mod GTA III on Android, I want to warn you.

2. Caution!

There are several problems ( other file names, missing dff or txd...).

1. The Mobile gta3.img, which is called gta3_unc.img has got 3859. 11 fewer than the Orginal gta3.img. The vehicles are used from the oldveh_unc.img.

2. The filenames of the IMG files can be various. On my SGSII the are called gta3_unc.img and oldveh_unc.img. But i already saw filenames like: gta3_ptr.img, gta3_atr.img (the same for oldveh_xxx.img)

3. Many people got problems with GTA III (crashes after Loading, or other problems).

4. If you Mod your GTA you may get more problems.
Example: I tested a new Pumpgun on PC. After installation I tried. Works fine.
The same on Mobile. If i press the button for shotting, the game crashes.

5. Dont install 1234567890 at one time or you wont know which mod causes problems and crashes.

6. There are TXD files that can't be opened with TXD viewer applications, because of unknown problems.​

3. Installation

If you want to add new Cars, you need to replace the .dff and .txd within oldveh_unc.img.

If you want to Chance Buldings txd's replace the files within gta3_unc.img.

Befor you Mod anything, make a backup of all files or you have to delete files and have to re-download them.

Now let's start with modding.

Step 1:
Download IMG Tool 2.0.
Download the Mod : For an example I use Pegeot 306 Mexican Taxi to replace the Taxi.

Step 2:
Connect your Smartphone to your Computer. Browse to your internal SD-Card e.g.: Computer\GT-I9100\Phone\Android\data\com.rockstar.gta3\files\GTA3\models. Copy oldveh_unc.dir and oldveh_unc.img to the desktop.

Step 3:
Open oldveh_unc.img with IMG Tool 2.0 and replace taxi.dff and taxi.txd.
After this, rebuild the archive with: Commands -> Rebuild Archive.

Step 4:
Exit IMG Tool and copy oldveh_unc.dir and oldveh_unc.img to e.g.: Computer\GT-I9100\Phone\Android\data\com.rockstar.gta3\files\GTA3\models.

Step 5:
Copy handling.cfg from e.g.: Computer\GT-I9100\Phone\Android\data\com.rockstar.gta3\files\GTA3\data to your desktop.

Step 6:
Open handling.cfg with a Texteditor. Replace the lines in the handling.cfg with the one from the readme file.

Step 7:
Copy handling.cfg to e.g.: Computer\GT-I9100\Phone\Android\data\com.rockstar.gta3\files\GTA3\data.

Step 8:
Start GTA III and have fun ( if it works :D )​

4. FAQ

Q: When I start GTA III i get a black screen.
A1: Minimize GTA III and then return into the game.
A2: Kill GTA III process with Task-Manager and restart GTA III.

Q: GTA III freezes at the loadingscreen.
A: The Mod you installed won*t work on Android. Install your backups.

Q: I get this error Message when i try to open oldveh_unc.img:
Unable to find oldveh_unc.dir
A: If you try to open a file that is on your mobile phone, your computer copies that file into a temp directory. He only copies the .img, not the .dir file. Repeat Step 2 above.

Q: The game is very laggy.
A: Try deleting the Audio files. Don't forget to backup.

5. More Tutorials

Custom songs in radio for GTA3 Android Thanks to tipsek

6. Links and other:

Offical Facebook GTA III Android Modding page

7. Screenshots and Videos:

SC20111224160000.png

SC20111224160051.png

SC20111224154852.png

SC20111220132151.png

SC20111224155945.png

SC20111224153025.png

ThexJoker

Last edited:

EmAzY

Oct 14, 2010
Awesome.

Works perfect with ARHD 3.6.9 Rom!

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using xda premium

EmAzY

Oct 14, 2010
Damn wrong post! Please delete.
I meant to post this on another GTA 3 thread with the GTA3 set file tweak.

Awesome.

Works perfect with ARHD 3.6.9 Rom!

KotsChopShop

Dec 24, 2011
IE, SoCal
kotschopshop.com
bat shyt crazy sikk..

I own/operate a site that's home to some of the worlds most reputable GTA modders and we've been teaching kats how to mod the GTA series for several years now, so this is gonna get interesting..

thanks for the heads up Joker (you2 Wired)

wired88

Apr 24, 2011
Cluj-Napoca
Well,first off I'm glad it works without lag on my Nexus S,next I think I'll be testing what kind of polycount is reasonable/car so that the game doesn't lag.Don't think it's depending too much on ram or cpu power,since on pc it was more about the game engine limits.

Last edited:
Reactions: caballon

ThexJoker

Dec 20, 2011
Bochum
The polycount could be one reason for some problems I had while testing some Mods.

And there are some txd's that give me error when I try to open theme.

Example: RADAR.TXD

I think this is the Map when you open the map (press on the radar). Only the little radar in the corner can be changed (replace radar00.txd - radar63.txd in gta3_unc.img)
If i try to open it i get this error: Out of memory while expanding memory stream.
My english is not the best, but I think this error means something like, the images insede the txd are to big.

And if T try to open the file with other txd applications, then I get other errors or I see no image, but the info says height and width: 52428.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2010
Is it possible to replace the collision models?

I have two cars downloaded that I would like to install and both have custom collision files.

ThexJoker

Dec 20, 2011
Bochum
Is it possible to replace the collision models?

I have two cars downloaded that I would like to install and both have custom collision files.

Hmm... I'll test it.

EDIT: I can't find any car for GTA III with new collision. The cars I found are for Vice City with new Col, and they didn't work. But you can modify the .col files from android. I think new carcollisons are possible.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2010
Hmm... I'll test it.

EDIT: I can't find any car for GTA III with new collision. The cars I found are for Vice City with new Col, and they didn't work. But you can modify the .col files from android. I think new carcollisons are possible.

Hmm... Interesting. I'll have to test it out when I get home from work.

Benn browsing for some cars and I have around 10 I have downloaded. I'll see how many the game can handle.

wired88

Apr 24, 2011
Cluj-Napoca
So,I've tested the game out with 2 models so far.

The one made for Vice City didn't work,game stopped loading,although it's relatively low poly,around 10k I presume.

The second one originally made for Gta 3 works great,and it's also around 10k,the game has no lag whatsoever,so I think cars need to be exported to Gta 3 from Zmodeler 1/2 so they can be recognized by the game.

(sorry,no images cause I can't post links yet)

As for Col's as Kotton said,the best thing is to edit the stock col's yourself,but you can also import col's with that program,although I don't recommend it,as some col's caused my game to crash even on the Gta 3 pc version.

Sep 5, 2010
Well I have been testing a few car mods and have had no luck with the majority of the cars.

The only car mod that actually worked was this:
http://www.gtainside.com/en/download.php?do=comments&cat=40&start=0&id=3305&orderBy=downloads

But when I loaded it up Im having some texture problems. Here are some screenshots:

Screenshot_2011-12-27-03-07-04.png

Screenshot_2011-12-27-03-06-41.png

Screenshot_2011-12-27-03-06-31.png

Screenshot_2011-12-27-03-06-21.png

Can anyone else test this mod and see if its just me? I also installed the collision file and tried it without it as well.

Using the Galaxy Nexus

wired88

Apr 24, 2011
Cluj-Napoca
I've tested the car,and it looks the same at me too,it's not a polycount issue,the car has around 12k,I think it has more to do with how the car is modeled,maybe he has too many overlapping polys,or the poly density is too large/car part.

KotsChopShop

Dec 24, 2011
IE, SoCal
kotschopshop.com
what a trip, those are definitely artifacting polys.. but that's what you get when messn with Inside, it's a gamble lol - I'm gonna test my own Max exported vehicle asahp

I also just hit up Oleg to see if we can get the III/VC filters updated to Zm2, ffs I do NOT want to go back to using Zm1, that thing's ancient UI is a freakn nightmare lol

wired88

Apr 24, 2011
Cluj-Napoca
You can work in Zmodeler 2,export as old *.z3d and then export to gta 3 from Zmodeler 1.

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

I've tested more cars,among them a Dodge Challenger by Pumbars made specifically for Gta 3,which doesn't work on the phone,after I checked the car out in Zmodeler 2,I think the problem is with the program that exported the car,mods exported with Max might not work,and the ones exported with ZModeler 2 do.

KotsChopShop

Dec 24, 2011
IE, SoCal
kotschopshop.com
ah snap.. I completely forgot about that shiz - thanks Wired, I'll do just that

edit; (this site doesn't support strike!? ^ ..wtf!? hahaha)

LOL we're trippn bro.. Zm2 already offers III and VC dff export - we select it from the drop down options xD (see what using Max does to ya!? lol)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey Guys!

1. Prolog

I found a way to Mod GTA III for Android. Ok, I didn't find a new way. It's the same way as the computer with some little indirrection. Befor I start telling you how to Mod GTA III on Android, I want to warn you.

2. Caution!

There are several problems ( other file names, missing dff or txd...).

1. The Mobile gta3.img, which is called gta3_unc.img has got 3859. 11 fewer than the Orginal gta3.img. The vehicles are used from the oldveh_unc.img.

2. The filenames of the IMG files can be various. On my SGSII the are called gta3_unc.img and oldveh_unc.img. But i already saw filenames like: gta3_ptr.img, gta3_atr.img (the same for oldveh_xxx.img)

3. Many people got problems with GTA III (crashes after Loading, or other problems).

4. If you Mod your GTA you may get more problems.
    Example: I tested a new Pumpgun on PC. After installation I tried. Works fine.
    The same on Mobile. If i press the button for shotting, the game crashes.

5. Dont install 1234567890 at one time or you wont know which mod causes problems and crashes.

6. There are TXD files that can't be opened with TXD viewer applications, because of unknown problems.​

3. Installation

If you want to add new Cars, you need to replace the .dff and .txd within oldveh_unc.img.

If you want to Chance Buldings txd's replace the files within gta3_unc.img.

Befor you Mod anything, make a backup of all files or you have to delete files and have to re-download them.

Now let's start with modding.

Step 1:
    Download IMG Tool 2.0.
    Download the Mod : For an example I use Pegeot 306 Mexican Taxi to replace the Taxi.

Step 2:
    Connect your Smartphone to your Computer. Browse to your internal SD-Card e.g.: Computer\GT-I9100\Phone\Android\data\com.rockstar.gta3\files\GTA3\models. Copy oldveh_unc.dir and oldveh_unc.img to the desktop.

Step 3:
    Open oldveh_unc.img with IMG Tool 2.0 and replace taxi.dff and taxi.txd.
    After this, rebuild the archive with: Commands -> Rebuild Archive.

Step 4:
    Exit IMG Tool and copy oldveh_unc.dir and oldveh_unc.img to e.g.: Computer\GT-I9100\Phone\Android\data\com.rockstar.gta3\files\GTA3\models.

Step 5:
    Copy handling.cfg from e.g.: Computer\GT-I9100\Phone\Android\data\com.rockstar.gta3\files\GTA3\data to your desktop.

Step 6:
    Open handling.cfg with a Texteditor. Replace the lines in the handling.cfg with the one from the readme file.

Step 7:
    Copy handling.cfg to e.g.: Computer\GT-I9100\Phone\Android\data\com.rockstar.gta3\files\GTA3\data.

Step 8:
    Start GTA III and have fun ( if it works :D )​

4. FAQ

Q: When I start GTA III i get a black screen.
    A1: Minimize GTA III and then return into the game.
    A2: Kill GTA III process with Task-Manager and restart GTA III.

Q: GTA III freezes at the loadingscreen.
    A: The Mod you installed won*t work on Android. Install your backups.

Q: I get this error Message when i try to open oldveh_unc.img:
    Unable to find oldveh_unc.dir
    A: If you try to open a file that is on your mobile phone, your computer copies that file into a temp directory. He only copies the .img, not the .dir file. Repeat Step 2 above.

Q: The game is very laggy.
    A: Try deleting the Audio files. Don't forget to backup.

5. More Tutorials

Custom songs in radio for GTA3 Android Thanks to tipsek

6. Links and other:

Offical Facebook GTA III Android Modding page

7. Screenshots and Videos:

SC20111224160000.png

SC20111224160051.png

SC20111224154852.png

SC20111220132151.png

SC20111224155945.png

SC20111224153025.png

ThexJoker
    My working car mods

O.K., here's something for you to download and try out. This works flawlessly on my SGS1, but don't forget to backup your original files in case something goes wrong!

Simply unzip one of the attached files to /sdcard, the files will be unzipped to their respective directories. Mind that this is for the US/International version, you might have to move the /data and /models directory if you are e.g. running the German version (because of the /com.rockstar.gta3ger dir).
    If your phone has a gpu different from the PowerVR, you'll have to rename the files oldveh_pvr.img and oldveh_pvr.dir according to the original ones on your device. I can't guarantee this'll work, though. I doubt there are any differences, but you never know...

Notes:
    - This is the final version, unless I have to fix a gamebreaking bug (like the wrong Infernus settings in an earlier version). This is taking too much time, and I'm quite satisfied with its actual state.

- I've encountered nasty texture glitches (v2.2-2.4). These seem to be related to the size of oldveh_pvr.img (original size:9.75 MB). Up to 20-21 MB, everything's fine. Above 24 MB, the game is unplayable because trees, streets and buildings become invisible; v2.4 wasn't too bad, but every now and then, street and/or building textures disappeared. So I decided to throw out the Skoda Octavia (>3 MB in size) and replaced it with a BMW 325i instead. Nicer car, smaller size, overall size of oldveh_pvr.img is now 20.4 MB, and there are no glitches (tested & for sure this time).

- GTA 3 seems to spawn black cars whenever it stumbles across wrong/unsupported color combinations. I tried to rule them all out, cars are looking colorful enough now.

- many mods appear to be incompatible with the Android port (game gets stuck on the loading screen), but in most cases this is an issue with the non-existent wheel mod. Change the conflicting wheel ID in default.ide to something between 161 and 167 (I've used 164), and they should run.
    Example:
    101, infernus, infernus, car, INFERNUS, INFERNS, executive, 10, 7, 0, 164, 0.7
    In some cases, however, like the BMW Z8 and Z4, textures are messed up; I guess there's not much you can do about that.

This zip includes a collection of 15 working car models. I post the whole list (taken from default.ide in order of appearance) in case you want to add some more without overwriting any:
    90, landstal, Mercedes G500
    91, idaho, Smart
    92, stinger, Audi TT
    93, linerun, linerun
    94, peren, BMW 325i
    95, sentinel, Audi S8
    96, patriot, patriot
    97, firetruk, firetruk
    98, trash, trash
    99, stretch, stretch
    100, manana, Mini Cooper
    101, infernus, Porsche 911 GT2
    102, blista, Mercedes E320
    103, pony, pony
    104, mule, mule
    105, cheetah, Ferrari 360
    106, ambulan, ambulan
    107, fbicar, fbicar
    108, moonbeam, Alfa 156
    109, esperant, VW Golf IV
    110, taxi, taxi
    111, kuruma, BMW 760i L
    112, bobcat, bobcat
    113, mrwhoop, mrwhoop (ice truck)
    114, bfinject, bfinject
    115, corpse, corpse
    116, police, police
    117, enforcer, enforcer
    118, securica, securia
    119, banshee, Lamborghini Murcielago
    120, predator, ?
    121, bus, bus
    122, rhino, Tank
    123, barracks, Army truck
    124, train, Train (n/a)
    125, chopper, Helicopter (n/a)
    126, dodo, ? (n/a)
    127, coach, Tourist coach
    128, cabbie, old taxi?
    129, stallion, stallion
    130, rumpo, rumpo
    131, rcbandit, little toy car
    132, bellyup, fish van
    133, mrwongs, van (same as fish van)
    134, mafia, Mercedes S 500 (W220)
    135, yardie, yardie
    136, yakuza, Porsche Carrera GT
    137, diablos, diablos
    138, columb, columb
    139, hoods, hoods
    140, airtrain, ?
    141, deaddodo, ?
    142, speeder, ?
    143, reefer, ?
    144, panlant, ?
    145, flatbed, ?
    146, yankee, ?
    147, escape, ?
    148, borgnine, ?
    149, toyz, ?
    150, ghost, ?

Have fun :D
    Well,first off I'm glad it works without lag on my Nexus S,next I think I'll be testing what kind of polycount is reasonable/car so that the game doesn't lag.Don't think it's depending too much on ram or cpu power,since on pc it was more about the game engine limits.
    hey , been scouring the net all day trying too mod my gta3 with new cars but just can't seem too get it too work. As far as I can figure I can't view the correct files (oldveh_unc.dir or oldveh_unc.img) all I have when I go too \com.rockstar.gta3\files\GTA3\models is fixedveh_dxt oldveh_dxt and gta3_dxt could any of you guys shed some light on this im new too android and modding games. Im using a Motorola XOOM wifi and im running version 3.2 of android I've downloaded imgtool and dmagic1s wheel mod although im having trouble installing that on the XOOM
    cjsxoom

The filenames can be different. On my Galaxy S 2 the filenames are oldveh_unc, gta3_unc fixedveh_unc.

To install a new car you have to replace the dff and txd inside oldveh_dxt.img.