[Discussion] NULL_ROM Official Q/A - FAQ- General Discussion thread

Search This thread

baristaman

Dec 3, 2011
Hmmm, either reinstall gear manager or full wipe your gear.. Make a backup in recovery before doing either one of these tho.
I full wiped (system, data, caches) the gear and reflashed the rom, and still get the same issue. I'll try reinstalling the latest Gear Manager from scratch (after making a TiBu of it, already did a nandroid of the Gear) and see if that's the issue, because I reverted to an old version so my sideloaded apps would appear in the Touchwiz launcher.

I'm starting to think that the issue isn't with the rom, but possibly a conflict on the phone side.

Last edited:

Cobra99

Apr 17, 2011
I want to say thanks for the hard work. Got it up and running.

A quick and hopefully some simple questions.
I removed all addition screens except the home screen so I need to know how to add another one.

Also how do I remove the shortcuts at the bottom so I can display the watches correctly. Also I have the notifications at the top that I also want to remove.

Again thanks

maddog497

Jul 18, 2009
I read and re-read, but I can't find.

I have done everything in the threads and have had success all the way through, until after I flash Null_23. Everything goes through as it should but when I tell it to reboot after successfully completing the flash, I get the original gear screen asking to pair with a Samsung phone?

Thanks

fOmey

Recognized Developer
Mar 7, 2009
Sydney, AUS
I want to say thanks for the hard work. Got it up and running.

A quick and hopefully some simple questions.
I removed all addition screens except the home screen so I need to know how to add another one.

Also how do I remove the shortcuts at the bottom so I can display the watches correctly. Also I have the notifications at the top that I also want to remove.

Again thanks

Depending what launcher your using, you can hide the dock... either setup a gesture or permanently hide it if you have no use for it.

Does anyone know if the note 3 update to 4.4.2 affect the null 14rom?

Should be fine.

zisk1

May 11, 2011
Send via bluetooth from phone to Galaxy Gear

First of all.
All 5 stars i would give for the developers off that magic rom.
I just have a one problem, so far.
When shareing files, biger than 2 or 3 MB, sending via bluetooth with "Bluetooth file sender", transfer process stop at about 30 or 50%, and just waiting, and no transfer later. Than must repeating procedure about 2 or 3 times from begin procedure, than transfer is complete.
Is any one stuck in that situation too.
My cell phone is SGS4 9505, custom ROM Omega ver.19.; Galaxy Gear, .null 23.

Thanks for all

maddog497

Jul 18, 2009
I read and re-read, but I can't find.

I have done everything in the threads and have had success all the way through, until after I flash Null_23. Everything goes through as it should but when I tell it to reboot after successfully completing the flash, I get the original gear screen asking to pair with a Samsung phone?

Thanks

To explain further, after flashing the rom, it asks to reboot. When I reboot it I get the logo with the circle going around it, so I know it flash but then the screen goes black for 5 secs and the original start up screen appears and I can't get past it unless I connect to an approved Samsung device as if it was still stock?

I've downloaded an early version and am going to use ODIN to downgrade it and hopes that works.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

baristaman

Dec 3, 2011
I'm starting to think that the issue isn't with the rom, but possibly a conflict on the phone side.
I've got to apologize to fOmey for suggesting that my issue with the weather updating had anything to do with his rom. Apparently the weather updating on a Gear is a known issue with Ditto Note 3 on the i317. I should have looked in that rom thread first.

Thanks again, fOmey, for such an awesome rom and all your hard work.

Samuel Sung

Jun 16, 2011
Hey fOmey,

Today a preview version from Android Wear was published. But when I try to install it he say parsing error... I guess this is because it's for android 4.4...

Can we expect Android 4.4 _null for our devices? If yes you maybe could make a guess for how much tea I should buy... If you know what I mean ^^ ;)

Thx in advance for your support

Cheers

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

klau1

Jan 1, 2008
Hi fOmey,

Have you found the code that will allow people to use the BT proximity sensor as an intent function?

I was hoping to use it to do something in Tasker when the Gear Watch is close, and do something else when the Gear Watch is far, but still connected.

fOmey

Recognized Developer
Mar 7, 2009
Sydney, AUS
Hi fOmey,

Have you found the code that will allow people to use the BT proximity sensor as an intent function?

I was hoping to use it to do something in Tasker when the Gear Watch is close, and do something else when the Gear Watch is far, but still connected.

Hmmm I had it ! For the life of me cant remember what it is tho.. ill have a look for you now.

EDIT:

This appears to be the broadcasts (unconfirmed tho!)

android.accessory.device.action.ATTACHED
android.accessory.device.action.DETACHED

Although if you want to just detect if the gear is connected, the easier way to do it is to check the bluetooth status... State -> Net -> Bluetooth status.. I like to use the MAC address as the identifier.

Last edited:
Reactions: klau1

klau1

Jan 1, 2008
Hmmm I had it ! For the life of me cant remember what it is tho.. ill have a look for you now.

EDIT:

This appears to be the broadcasts (unconfirmed tho!)

android.accessory.device.action.ATTACHED
android.accessory.device.action.DETACHED

Although if you want to just detect if the gear is connected, the easier way to do it is to check the bluetooth status... State -> Net -> Bluetooth status.. I like to use the MAC address as the identifier.

Would this broadcast exist on both the Phone and the Gear?

Trying this in Tasker on the Phone yields no results.
Is there a way to detect the Gear's Close Proximity on the Phone using Tasker Intent?

fOmey

Recognized Developer
Mar 7, 2009
Sydney, AUS
Would this broadcast exist on both the Phone and the Gear?

Trying this in Tasker on the Phone yields no results.
Is there a way to detect the Gear's Close Proximity on the Phone using Tasker Intent?

Only way to detect such thing is if its connected via bluetooth.. This is the best and most accurate method.

Reactions: klau1

klau1

Jan 1, 2008
Only way to detect such thing is if its connected via bluetooth.. This is the best and most accurate method.

The advantage of the proximity detection is that it's closer. The Bluetooth LE can remain connected for 10s of meters. The proximity detection can trigger once your GEAR is slightly away from the Phone.

The use case of this is to App Lock in Tasker.

So that your sensitive apps are locked when you pass over phone over to your friend to make a call.

jeremy.martinus

Nov 27, 2013
Hi. I'm trying to download null 23, just got twrp recovery flashed.

Having problems with the the download page, can't seem to access it. Anyone got alternative sites please? Can you post a link please?

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Xer1

Mar 22, 2014
null to tizen?

Hey. I bought a new Samsung galaxy gear 2 days ago with the new tizen os. Do you have any plans to release null rom for tizen?

klau1

Jan 1, 2008
How?

Tizen isn't out for Gear 1
Gear 2 isn't out

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

I think this guy has no idea what he's talking about.

Null is a ROM to unlock the ability to run Android Apps and unlock access to System Menus on the Android OS.

What the F!#% would "Null for Tizen" even mean?

That's like saying, "Can I install a Keyless entry system on my Motorcycle?"

Xer1

Mar 22, 2014
How?

Tizen isn't out for Gear 1
Gear 2 isn't out

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

I think this guy has no idea what he's talking about.

Null is a ROM to unlock the ability to run Android Apps and unlock access to System Menus on the Android OS.

What the F!#% would "Null for Tizen" even mean?

That's like saying, "Can I install a Keyless entry system on my Motorcycle?"
I am sorry. I am properly wrong.

JoshuaVB

Mar 22, 2014
Getting error during install of Null 23 assert failed....

I've followed all of the directions to install the custom Null 23 rom on my new Gear. During the install I receive the following error message when trying write the new kernel.

assert failed : write_raw_image("/tmp/boot.img"."/dev/block/mmcblk0p5")

The device ends up stuck at the "Download" screen with the green android. I've managed to flash stock rom back to the Gear using Odin, but each time I try to install the Null rom I end up with the same error and same results. Please, someone help. :)

Much appreciated.

Josh

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys, I noticed some of you prefer stock kernel.. which is completely fine !

Iv added a aroma option for yall in the next version.
    Freefalling Theme is in the process updating to latest null 18.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    This is place where you can come and ask questions regarding support as well as any other general discussion for the Null rom. Please keep the development thread to just that DEVELOPMENT. The developer of this rom is here to develop and not here to answer your questions because you can't take the time to figure out the answer yourself. This will be a community driven thread. Therefore, if you feel something needs to be added to the OP please mention me in a post and I'll take a look

If you need to download the rom free to stop by the dev thread to download. However, if I see you ask a question in here and then go to that thread to ask the same question I will be handing out infractions. Please consider this your only warning.

On a side note, I'll be transferring the OP of this thread to a person with this device in due time. However, for the moment this needed to be created. If you are willing to take the OP from me please feel free to send me a PM. The only requirement that I would have is that you keep it updated properly.

FAQ / IT DOESNT WORK ! WAH
    • INTERNET ACCESS
      GO INTO "FULL SETTINGS -> BLUETOOTH -> SELECT YOUR PHONE SETTING ICON (ON THE RIGHT OF PHONE NAME) -> TICK INTERNET ACCESS".
      ENSURE BLUETOOTH TETHERING IS ENABLED ON YOUR PHONE BEFORE HAND OBVIOUSLY.

*NOTE* ENSURE YOUR MOBILE DEVICE SUPPORTS TETHERING, US VARIANT PHONES HAVE RESTRICTIONS INPLACE. REFER TO THE US INTERNET TETHERING THREAD.

*NOTE 2* BLUETOOTH TETHERING DOES NOT AUTO RECONNECT, INSTALL THIS THIRDPARTY SOLUTION ON YOUR GEAR TO ENABLE AUTO RECONNECT.

• PLAYSTORE / GOOGLE ACCOUNT MANAGER HAS STOPPED..
      VERIFY YOU HAVE A BLUETOOTH INTERNET TETHERING CONNECTION ESTABLISHED BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO ADD A GOOGLE ACCOUNT.
      MUST NOT BE USING THIRD PARTY TETHERING, EG. PDANET.

• HOW DO I FULL WIPE?
      BOOT INTO RECOVERY MODE AND SELECT THE "RECOVERY" OPTION. DO THIS AFTER FLASHING THE ROM

• UNABLE TO WAKE GEAR WHILE IN PHONE CALL
      THIS IS CAUSED BY THE HOME BUTTON REMAP MOD, THE HOME BUTTON MUST BE PRESSED IN ORDER TO WAKE THE GEAR UP IN THIS STATE.
      ONLY WORK AROUND IS TO EITHER USE THE WRIST WAKEUP GESTURE OR DISABLE THE HOME BUTTON REMAP MOD.

*NOTE* BY DISABLING THE HOME BUTTON REMAP MOD, THIS WILL DISABLE THE ABILITY TO MANUALLY LOCK THE SCREEN WHILE USING A CUSTOM LAUNCHER.

• DOUBLE TAP BRIGHTNESS/SOUND TOGGLE HAS DISAPPEARED
      THIS IS CAUSED BY USING THE FULL SYSTEM UI, SIMPLY PUT IT REPLACES THE DOUBLE TAP WINDOW WITH THE NOTIFICATION SHADE. BY USING GRAVITYBOX YOU CAN ADD ADDITIONAL TOGGLES LIKE BRIGHTNESS & SOUND TILES TO THE FULL NOTIFICATION SHADE.

OTHERWISE SIMPLY REFLASH THE ROM WITH THE FULL SYSTEMUI OPTION UNTICKED.

• SCREEN FLICKERING/GITTERING
      THIS IS CAUSED BY THE INITIAL BOOTUP, REBUILDING THE CACHE AND INITIALIZING ALL THE APPS. GIVE YOUR GEAR A FEW MINUTES TO SETUP AND RESTART.

• SCREEN UNLOCKS TO NOVALAUNCHER PAGE PREVIEW?
      GO INTO "NOVA SETTINGS -> GESTURES -> HOME BUTTON -> NONE".

• ENABLE DEVELOPER SETTINGS / USB DEBUGGING
      GO INTO "SETTINGS -> GEAR INFO -> ABOUT GEAR", TAP SOFTWARE VERSION 10 TIMES.

• ENABLE UNKNOWN SOURCE APK INSTALLATION
      GO INTO "FULL SETTINGS -> SECURITY -> TICK UNKNOWN SOURCES".

• ENABLE MTP
      GO INTO "FULL SETTINGS -> STORAGE -> MENU BUTTON (TOP RIGHT OF SCREEN) -> USB COMPUTER CONNECTION -> MEDIA DEVICE (MTP)".

• WATCH STYLER NOT WORKING
      ENSURE ITS SELECTED AS THE DEFAULT WATCHFACE IN GEAR MANAGER.
      IF CLOCK FACE DOES NOT UPDATE UPON CHANGING, RESTART GEAR.

• DOUBLE CLICK HOME BUTTON DOESNT WORK ON TOUCHWIZ LAUNCHER !

*NOTE* DO NOT DO THE FOLLOWING IF YOU ARE USING NOVALAUNCHER, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO MANUALLY LOCK YOUR GEAR.

*NOTE 2* YOU CAN SIMPLY REFLASH THE ROM WITHOUT WIPING AND DISABLE THE HOME BUTTON REMAP MOD.

NAVIGATE/PULL THE FOLLOWING FILE FROM YOUR GEAR: /SYSTEM/USR/KEYLAYOUT/GPIO-KEYS.XML
      EDIT IN A TEXT EDITOR SO IT LOOKS LIKE THE BELOW:

Code:
      key 115   VOLUME_UP         WAKE
      key 114   VOLUME_DOWN       WAKE
      key 116   POWER             WAKE
      [B]key 172   HOME              WAKE[/B]

I made a flashable zip file with latest null and stock kernel batterylife is awesome and yes it works I think people should have a choice if they want stock or custom kernel.I won't post a link here if anyone wants it pm me.

Update i can confim if you go to settings , storage top right usb connections and then select MTP file transfer still works fine to transfer your files so no need to side load.