Windows Phone 8.1 update 2 Install Guide

Search This thread

TheIronMaiden

Jul 30, 2013
Chicago
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Thanks to http://forums.windowscentral.com/members/pankaj981.htm

Description

This guide will show you how to impersonate another device and get WP 8.1 Update 2 (OS version 8.10.15137.148)

Warning:

1) Changes made to your phone are not permanent and can be restored using Lumia Software Recovery Tool or Windows Phone Recovery Tool

2) I would not be taking responsibility if you accidentally brick your phone so please ask questions before proceeding

Software Requirements:

1) **Any Nokia Lumia running OS version 8.10.14219 or higher. If you are on a lower version please check for updates from your carrier/Microsoft or update using Preview for Developers

2) Start with a clean software, i.e. reset your phone before proceeding (make sure Preview for Developers is not installed)

3) Files Needed ** I do not own these files. They were linked from this thread **

a) SDK 8.1 Lite.zip (*** install this after download ***)

b) CustomPFD_0003.xap

c) CustomWPSystem_0500.xap

Link: http://xdaforums.com/windows-phone-8/development/xap-customwpsystem-patch-xaps-wpsystem-t2975419

Hardware Requirements:

1) ** Nokia Lumia with SD card capability

2) microSD card

3) USB cable

Process: Part 1 - Preparation

1) Hard reset phone using hardware key combination (Reference)

2) Go through setup process, update all system and preloaded apps

3) Storage Sense >> phone >> apps+games >> select all >> uninstall all apps

4) Storage Sense >> Store new apps on my "phone"

5) Connect phone to PC using USB

6) PC >> Start Menu >> Programs >> Windows Phone Developer Registration >> Register >> Enter MS Account >> Done >> Close

7) PC >> Start Menu >> Programs >> Windows Phone Application Deployment 8.1 >> Target = Device; App = "pathoffile\CustomWPSystem_0500.xap" >> Open >> Deploy >> Deploying File >> App deployment complete. >> Close

8) Verify if CustomWPSystem shows up in app list

9) PC >> Explorer >> My Computer >> Select Phone >> SD Card >> Documents >> Move CustomPFD_0003.xap here >> Done

10) Storage Sense >> Store new apps on my "SD Card" >> Done

11) Store >> Download Preview for Developers >> Let it install >> Don't open after install >> Pin to Start >> Done

12) Open CustomWPSystem >> Click on red bar "SD Card permissions" >> Select "sd card" >> Press "done" (check mark below) >> red bar turns green

13) Scroll down under "Modding selected app", select "Select the XAP" >> Phone >> sd card >> Documents >> Select "CustomPFD_0003.xap" >> Apply XAP >> Wait till you see popup "Operation completed!...." >> Done >> Close app

Process: Part 2 - Registry Edits

1) Open previously pinned Preview for Developers app >> HKLM >> SYSTEM >> Platform >> DeviceTargetInfo

2) Edit Registry:

** Note down the registry keys before editing them. To avoid resetting, revert back to default registry entries and skip 4) **

PhoneMobileOperatorName >> 000-88 >> Write

PhoneManufacturerModelName >> WinWin >> Write

PhoneManufacturer >> HIGHSCREEN >> Write

** Registry edits are restored to default with hard reset **

3) Settings >> phone update >> check for updates >> Install Updates >> Done

4) Reset after updates are installed >> Start fresh

Source: http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...stalling-wp-8-1-update-2-lumia-devices**.html

Last edited:

TheIronMaiden

Jul 30, 2013
Chicago
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Proof that it works. I performed a hard reset to reset my phone manufacturer ID and carrier. Don't have to run windows insider hoping to get grd2 when this method is more effective.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20150606_0001.png
    wp_ss_20150606_0001.png
    156.5 KB · Views: 2,987
Reactions: denisf1981

Ranomez

Jun 1, 2010
HTC One X+
HTC Desire HD
hello developer.will it easily updates and run without problem.

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 PM ----------

anybody uses this way?

1st don't quote the whole OP!
2nd if you would have read the post on windows phone central you would have found your answer, yes it works without any problem but it might take a few hours for the update to finish downloading.

Reactions: TheIronMaiden

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Semi-rhetorical question:
What the heck is wrong with people such that quoting massive posts just to ask a single question - one that doesn't actually require any context from the first post - seems like a good idea? Stop it, and fix your spam. Looking at you, @adityaonline07 and @A AJAY...

Reactions: TheIronMaiden

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
Guys, don't behave like children; we have a perfect moderators here on xda - just click triangle-shaped button (with exclamation mark) at the right top of the doubtful post and mods will do their job (tested many times!) :)

Reactions: winphouser
D

Darth

A couple posts edited to remove OP long quotes. No need to ever quote an opening post really. And if you must... Use hide tags.

And, OP... Why all the spaces in your post? :silly:

Thanks,

Darth
Forum Moderator

charlotted

Jan 23, 2016
Is there a way to install the update 2 on Lumia 1020?

There is. Don't install insider or it will break some things necessary to get win8.1 update2 (also reported on http://forums.windowscentral.com/samsung-ativ-s/353229-[guide]-how-update-8-1-2-a.html)

If you did install insider, hard reset. If that is not enough, reflash to cyan.
Then do as suggested here with any registery editor in HKLM Sofware :
PhoneMobileOperatorName >> 000-88
PhoneManufacturerModelName >> WinWin
PhoneManufacturer >> HIGHSCREEN

Check for updates, wait, and it will find 15137. Install it (in theory it works)\Then revert the values to what they were, for example for a AT&T 1020:

PhoneMobileOperatorName >> 000-88 >> ATT-US
PhoneManufacturerModelName >> WinWin >> RM-877_nam_att_205 (or RM-877_nam_usa_957 for unbranded)
PhoneManufacturer >> HIGHSCREEN >> NOKIA

My problem is that theory didnt work:
it fails if I do the hardware reset with:
8007000d
it fails if I don't do the hardware reset with:
8018830f

Last edited:

cmolinap

May 25, 2016
Hi,
A couple days ago I used this guide and it worked fine in my Lumia 530. In fact, it updated my phone to 8.10.15137.148 (before 8.10.15116.125).
Lumia 530 dual SIM, Nicaragua, spanish language, working smoothly.

So, will this work on Nokia Lumia 520? I just want the features of GDR2 and get the apps & games that are not compatible with Windows Phone 8.1 GDR1 and below... I want to get the answer from here before proceeding. (It is because I killed my phone 5 times due to the first 4 I updated my phone to W10M TU and the 5th time its editing the registry keys as Nokia Lumia 1520 to get W10M insider preview update, and I don't want to repeat that...)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks to http://forums.windowscentral.com/members/pankaj981.htm

Description

This guide will show you how to impersonate another device and get WP 8.1 Update 2 (OS version 8.10.15137.148)

Warning:

1) Changes made to your phone are not permanent and can be restored using Lumia Software Recovery Tool or Windows Phone Recovery Tool

2) I would not be taking responsibility if you accidentally brick your phone so please ask questions before proceeding

Software Requirements:

1) **Any Nokia Lumia running OS version 8.10.14219 or higher. If you are on a lower version please check for updates from your carrier/Microsoft or update using Preview for Developers

2) Start with a clean software, i.e. reset your phone before proceeding (make sure Preview for Developers is not installed)

3) Files Needed ** I do not own these files. They were linked from this thread **

a) SDK 8.1 Lite.zip (*** install this after download ***)

b) CustomPFD_0003.xap

c) CustomWPSystem_0500.xap

Link: http://xdaforums.com/windows-phone-8/development/xap-customwpsystem-patch-xaps-wpsystem-t2975419

Hardware Requirements:

1) ** Nokia Lumia with SD card capability

2) microSD card

3) USB cable

Process: Part 1 - Preparation

1) Hard reset phone using hardware key combination (Reference)

2) Go through setup process, update all system and preloaded apps

3) Storage Sense >> phone >> apps+games >> select all >> uninstall all apps

4) Storage Sense >> Store new apps on my "phone"

5) Connect phone to PC using USB

6) PC >> Start Menu >> Programs >> Windows Phone Developer Registration >> Register >> Enter MS Account >> Done >> Close

7) PC >> Start Menu >> Programs >> Windows Phone Application Deployment 8.1 >> Target = Device; App = "pathoffile\CustomWPSystem_0500.xap" >> Open >> Deploy >> Deploying File >> App deployment complete. >> Close

8) Verify if CustomWPSystem shows up in app list

9) PC >> Explorer >> My Computer >> Select Phone >> SD Card >> Documents >> Move CustomPFD_0003.xap here >> Done

10) Storage Sense >> Store new apps on my "SD Card" >> Done

11) Store >> Download Preview for Developers >> Let it install >> Don't open after install >> Pin to Start >> Done

12) Open CustomWPSystem >> Click on red bar "SD Card permissions" >> Select "sd card" >> Press "done" (check mark below) >> red bar turns green

13) Scroll down under "Modding selected app", select "Select the XAP" >> Phone >> sd card >> Documents >> Select "CustomPFD_0003.xap" >> Apply XAP >> Wait till you see popup "Operation completed!...." >> Done >> Close app

Process: Part 2 - Registry Edits

1) Open previously pinned Preview for Developers app >> HKLM >> SYSTEM >> Platform >> DeviceTargetInfo

2) Edit Registry:

** Note down the registry keys before editing them. To avoid resetting, revert back to default registry entries and skip 4) **

PhoneMobileOperatorName >> 000-88 >> Write

PhoneManufacturerModelName >> WinWin >> Write

PhoneManufacturer >> HIGHSCREEN >> Write

** Registry edits are restored to default with hard reset **

3) Settings >> phone update >> check for updates >> Install Updates >> Done

4) Reset after updates are installed >> Start fresh

Source: http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...stalling-wp-8-1-update-2-lumia-devices**.html
    Proof that it works. I performed a hard reset to reset my phone manufacturer ID and carrier. Don't have to run windows insider hoping to get grd2 when this method is more effective.
    hello developer.will it easily updates and run without problem.

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 PM ----------

anybody uses this way?

1st don't quote the whole OP!
    2nd if you would have read the post on windows phone central you would have found your answer, yes it works without any problem but it might take a few hours for the update to finish downloading.
    Semi-rhetorical question:
    What the heck is wrong with people such that quoting massive posts just to ask a single question - one that doesn't actually require any context from the first post - seems like a good idea? Stop it, and fix your spam. Looking at you, @adityaonline07 and @A AJAY...
    Guys, don't behave like children; we have a perfect moderators here on xda - just click triangle-shaped button (with exclamation mark) at the right top of the doubtful post and mods will do their job (tested many times!) :)