[Q] Group SMS App without having contacts stolen

Search This thread

sandhuxda

Jul 13, 2010
San Francisco
Are there any group sms apps that do not steal contacts? The big ones, handcent and Go SMS, both want you to create an account - which I imagine is to suck out your contact list.

thesoldier

Nov 18, 2012
Baltimore
Umm 4.2 AOSP MMS has group messaging. What do you mean they try to steal your contacts? I've used gosms without creating an account.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

rodstar87

May 9, 2011
Brooklyn
Are there any group sms apps that do not steal contacts? The big ones, handcent and Go SMS, both want you to create an account - which I imagine is to suck out your contact list.

I use handcent and I've never created an account just to send a group message. What exactly do you mean by "stealing" contacts.

Sent from outer space from my Mars Curiosity Rover. :cool:

Hypera

Nov 2, 2010
I use handcent and they do not require you to create an account. Just swipe left or right on handcent.

sweeds

Jul 13, 2011
Boston
OP is referring to a (potential) security breach when using a secondary sms service like whatsapp. Gosms and Handcent are just third-party sms software.

As per your answer, the later mentioned apps should have group mms. And I can confirm 4.2 AOSP mms has working group mms, but requires more work to get it running.

Sent via SGS3 using Tapatalk