And Fairphone?

Search This thread

DozerD

Mar 2, 2013
First of all, I really appreciate, that even on the "tech center" of mobile smart devices, here on XDA, there are a few guys interested in a mid range, but (mostly) FAIR built phone. I hope the big manufacturers will follow a more fair resource gathering.

I started a technical details page on XDA, where you can find some benchmarks. Ok, there is no Fairphone available yet, but the other benchmarks available with this SoC should be very close to the Fairphones results. As you can see, it beats the Gnex definitely in the benchmarks (mostly Antutu) and - believe me - the Gnex gets quite warm very fast. My Gnex at 1.4 GHz has no chance, Antutu is below 10.000.
Maybe you find better information, I would like to integrate it there, thanks.

Fairphone - The Technical Details And Links (WIP)

Wow - that is an impressive effort! Hopefully others will be able to join in and add further useful stuff. On behalf of anyone truly interested in Fairphone, thanks!

And now I'm going over to your newly added page as linked above and read up :thumbup:

- Tapatalked from Platform I9000, JB 4.2.2, on Mackay Rom & kernel, baseband I9000XXJVT, powered by PolarCell at 1800 mAh

Reactions: benkxda

DozerD

Mar 2, 2013
What about the FairPhone project? Anyone interested? I like to see Firefox OS on this device in future, does anyone have my same idea?

Hi Deedend, since you're the author of the OP, might you want to include the new link there to the additional Fairphone specs thread that benkxda has started?

Who knows how long this your thread might get, eventually, causing people to easily lose sight of such major posts on individual pages in the thread. Hence my suggestion to add benkxda's Work In Progress to the OP :) Thanks

- Tapatalked from Platform I9000, JB 4.2.2, on Mackay Rom & kernel, baseband I9000XXJVT, powered by PolarCell at 1800 mAh

Hi Deedend, since you're the author of the OP, might you want to include the new link there to the additional Fairphone specs thread that benkxda has started?

Who knows how long this your thread might get, eventually, causing people to easily lose sight of such major posts on individual pages in the thread. Hence my suggestion to add benkxda's Work In Progress to the OP :) Thanks

Done, thank you!

Tableuraz

Apr 15, 2009
So, will there be a Fairphone folder on the forum ?
I just discovered that HTC had been a client of Foxconn and I think I'll get a Fairphone as soon as it's available (and sell my HTC One)

grandesballo

Jan 30, 2013
That's a very interesting project to follow. A friend of mine wants to buy one, I think. It would be interesting to see it!

Sent from my GT-I8160 using xda app-developers app

benkxda

Jan 28, 2012
So, will there be a Fairphone folder on the forum ?
I just discovered that HTC had been a client of Foxconn and I think I'll get a Fairphone as soon as it's available (and sell my HTC One)

That's a very interesting project to follow. A friend of mine wants to buy one, I think. It would be interesting to see it!

Sent from my GT-I8160 using xda app-developers app

Hey guys, there is currently no official device forum as there is currently no device on the market. We use another thread and have (more or less) contact to Joe Mier from Fairphone. There are also a few customers and some developers waiting for more information about and from Fairphone.

Fairphone - Technical details, links and Q&A interaction with Fairphone

Logseman

Nov 22, 2010
Tenerife
logseman.svbtle.com
All I'm seeing is a run-of-the-mill qHD phone which would cost $100 in Aliexpress, but it's being sold for 4 times that because it has a couple of "conflict-free"minerals (take our word for it!) while the rest of the phone contains the same internals done in the same labor conditions as any other phone.

Fair trade has mostly been an excuse to charge terrific markups abusing the good faith of people, and this thing is no different at all.

benkxda

Jan 28, 2012
All I'm seeing is a run-of-the-mill qHD phone which would cost $100 in Aliexpress, but it's being sold for 4 times that because it has a couple of "conflict-free"minerals (take our word for it!) while the rest of the phone contains the same internals done in the same labor conditions as any other phone.

Fair trade has mostly been an excuse to charge terrific markups abusing the good faith of people, and this thing is no different at all.

You sense abuse? Ok, that's your personal opinion, maybe you'll be right, we'll see. But currently it looks more to be a really fair project to me. They are very new on the market and we have other problems with this device to face with. Hopefully they will be solved as soon as the device is available.

But you are on the wrong website to discuss your sensed abuse with this device. We are here for development.
Go to Fairphone.com or their Twitter/Facebook/Google+/Google community site and discuss over there.

Logseman

Nov 22, 2010
Tenerife
logseman.svbtle.com
I'm not going to complain to FairPhone that they're scamming people: they know it perfectly well already.

Development-wise, they've scammed people by using an undocumented, source-less chipset like the ones of MediaTek, while making things appear as though you can customize the whole phone. Since there is no source code available from MTK, people will probably be able to reskin the OS and remove bloatware... which is exactly what they can do in any other phone with the Mediatek chipset.

Had they been serious in any degree about user-elaborated development, they'd have used a better documented chipset like a Qualcomm Snapdragon. Xiaomi's new flagship will carry a Snapdragon 600, it has a completely customizable open source OS (MIUI) and it costs less than a FairPhone. Now that sounds fair if you ask me.

DozerD

Mar 2, 2013

I'll assume you're not just trolling here. However, your cynicism gives offense. Perhaps because it is the cheapest thing around.

Fairphone are going to great lengths to inform the public in detail, including you. You seem to have overlooked most of that information.

Regarding your estimate of what "a couple of conflict-free minerals" should cost, it seems you're taking for granted all costs paid conveniently out of sight and by others than yourself.

I wish you a conflict-free day and happy phoning, at any price you can afford.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

benkxda

Jan 28, 2012
I'm not going to complain to FairPhone that they're scamming people: they know it perfectly well already.

Development-wise, they've scammed people by using an undocumented, source-less chipset like the ones of MediaTek, while making things appear as though you can customize the whole phone. Since there is no source code available from MTK, people will probably be able to reskin the OS and remove bloatware... which is exactly what they can do in any other phone with the Mediatek chipset.

Had they been serious in any degree about user-elaborated development, they'd have used a better documented chipset like a Qualcomm Snapdragon. Xiaomi's new flagship will carry a Snapdragon 600, it has a completely customizable open source OS (MIUI) and it costs less than a FairPhone. Now that sounds fair if you ask me.

Technical discussion, good :).

I would have seen the Snapdragon 4 Pro like which one is used in the Nexus 4. The biggest problem is not the power of the SoC, but like you said, the sources are not open. That's why there is already a petition to solve that issue.

I have no idea about Xiaomi's flagship device, but about fair prices, is the price for Samsung Galaxy S4 fair or the iPhone 5S/C? Think about the costs of the manufactured devices. And they have - I am only guessing - not even one fair raw material in their devices.

The price of the Fairphone at the beginning was not high, quite a bit lower than for the Galaxy Nexus, but the Fairphone has over all better specs. Today, well it's kind of expensive compared to the price reduced Nexus 4. But it's not even half the price of the iPhone 5C and has more capabilities imo.

Calling Fairphone a fake, is not fair. You should at least bring up evidences.

Reactions: akiro75

Logseman

Nov 22, 2010
Tenerife
logseman.svbtle.com
The price mechanism is an information system which has the advantage that we don't need to know every specific detail about a product's creation.

Therefore, I don't need to know every detail about the creation of a Cubot GT99 in order to consider if it's a "fair"purchase. I just look at the specs, the price and I can decide if it's good for me. I know it's good for the maker to offer it at that price because otherwise it'd be unprofitable.

Then I see this phone. It costs at least twice as much as the Cubot while being essentially the same phone, with the same unhackable chipset, and Dragontrail protection.

Why does it cost double? Which is the catch? Oh, they use "conflict-free" minerals. And that's something that I can readily check, right? Like they can't buy smuggled coltan without any of us being the wiser or caring about it like the rest of them all do. In fact, that's the crucial point.

Any other manufacturer will operate with the (correct) assumption that buyers don't care about where the internals of the phone come. If they did, they wouldn't buy any phones at all, since they all contain those minerals. Smuggled minerals work the same as legitimate minerals.

Your petition won't be attended. The more they invest in the internals, such as buying a license from MediaTek, the less they can absorb into their pockets. When the project started, they knew perfectly well who they were buying from, and (surprise!) the cost of the components was their main consideration. Now, isn't it peachy to ask for a 100% markup vs other competitors for a "social cause" while you penny-pinch in the product?

Apple, Samsung and the like are not deluding you. They're businesses, in the field to make money, and the only way they'll be happy is if they get more profits than their competitors. On the contrary, FairPhone is painting itself with a "social" coat... but they use the same ways as Apple and Samsung.

Last edited:

Tableuraz

Apr 15, 2009
Okay, you sir are totally trolling and rude.

You should document a bit more about Fairphone, they're not scaming anyone and you are just trolling like a 5 years old, so go buy your Foxconn's built smartphones and just stfu and die in a fire pretty please. ;- )

Logseman

Nov 22, 2010
Tenerife
logseman.svbtle.com
Okay, you sir are totally trolling and rude.

You should document a bit more about Fairphone, they're not scaming anyone and you are just trolling like a 5 years old, so go buy your Foxconn's built smartphones and just stfu and die in a fire pretty please. ;- )

Thanks for your good wishes, oh mature one. I'm not here to annoy anyone or to spread lies, but to remind people to be prudent with their €400. Had I not been initially interested in the project, I wouldn't have documented myself in order to reach that conclusion when I saw what they were all about.

That is all I will say about the matter. If that earns me your good wishes or someone else's threats per PM, so be it.

Tableuraz

Apr 15, 2009
Thanks for your good wishes, oh mature one. I'm not here to annoy anyone or to spread lies, but to remind people to be prudent with their €400. Had I not been initially interested in the project, I wouldn't have documented myself in order to reach that conclusion when I saw what they were all about.

That is all I will say about the matter. If that earns me your good wishes or someone else's threats per PM, so be it.

What the **** are you talking about ? "Threats" ? :confused:

You don't wanna annoy anyone but by telling such bull**** you are indeed annoying everybody.
I just hate it when someone judges someone or a company on mere intent.
For once this company seems to be legimitly willing to build a fair phone.

I you wanna discuss about it, go create your own treads.
But telling such things on a thread where people are interrested in this product is plain rude.

Thanks for your attention.

Oct 1, 2013
Lisbon
Hi there,

Let me introduce myself. I am Kim Hansen, CTO of Kwamecorp. We are building the FairPhone OS and helping FairPhone as much as we can to create a more fair phone.

I was overwhelmed to read all the positive comments about the FairPhone project and the fact that XDA-developers have been following it, ordered FairPhones and discussing forth and back about the concept.

I think the chipset argument is very good, since the MediaTek is not very open. However, this version of the FairPhone is the first step in the FairPhone story that we believe will go far. The choice was made to be able to get a product out that was more fair than what you can find on the market currently in a very short time.

I know the main guys behind the project (Miquel Ballester and Bas van Abel) and they are as far as I know doing everything they can to build a fairer phone.

We are very interested in hearing how we can make the FairPhone more fair for the next version.

Currently we have entered our Quality Assurance period and are planning to provide the release candidate code in one month.

DozerD

Mar 2, 2013
(...) I think the chipset argument is very good, since the MediaTek is not very open. However, this version of the FairPhone is the first step in the FairPhone story that we believe will go far. The choice was made to be able to get a product out that was more fair than what you can find on the market currently in a very short time.

I know the main guys behind the project (Miquel Ballester and Bas van Abel) and they are as far as I know doing everything they can to build a fairer phone. (...)

Hi Kim, thanks very much for joining! And thank you, too, for your straightforward response to the existing objections against closed-source chipsets.

Most of us are willing to accept that, in these initial stages of developing a uniquely fairer phone, some temporary modesty might have to be shown, alas.

Hence, this majority of enthusiasts will put faith in statements like yours, above, that such criticism will, in some time, still find its way into further architectural improvements.

I suppose we all hope you'll keep listening to this devoted followers' base, helping to find the best translations possible of all that aspiration, into smart, fair, open and highly sympathetic design...

In other words, please keep up the great work and thanks for checking in!

Reactions: KimHansenDenmark

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What about the FairPhone project? Anyone interested? I like to see Firefox OS on this device in future, does anyone have my same idea?

Link: Fairphone - Technical Details And Links
    Great goal for Fairphone.. I hope now to semptember/october they can achieve the next goal of 20.000 unit sell. I am waiting for my Fairphone (nr. #1203) now.

Hi Deedend, I know about that project and I am very happy about the try to get a "fair phone". It's a first step which all manufacturer should follow. The device is not high end, but as I believe after seeing the ability of the built in SoC (not all facts are out there) in some benchmarks, I think it can beat our beloved Galaxy Nexus.

However, this projects aims another goal than winning speed tests. I like it, my brother ordered one as well. Maybe we should ask for a separate forum when it is sent to its customers.

In the end i've made my choice and ordered a fairphone :)
    mine is number 7359 and I've placed my order yesterday.. now the counter is at 8241
    but the best thing is that it was 8235 a sew secs ago!!

are we going to hit 10k before tomorrow night?
    not really shure about it, but ehi it's already near the double needed to start this :cool:

Currently, we are at 9440 ordered Fairphones. I hope this project, located in Netherland, home of some wonderful people like @Chainfire, will be a success and can go on with further products teaching the big ones like Asus, HTC, LG, Samsung, Sony... and others.

I'll assume you're not just trolling here. However, your cynicism gives offense. Perhaps because it is the cheapest thing around.

Fairphone are going to great lengths to inform the public in detail, including you. You seem to have overlooked most of that information.

Regarding your estimate of what "a couple of conflict-free minerals" should cost, it seems you're taking for granted all costs paid conveniently out of sight and by others than yourself.

I wish you a conflict-free day and happy phoning, at any price you can afford.

Hi there,

Let me introduce myself. I am Kim Hansen, CTO of Kwamecorp. We are building the FairPhone OS and helping FairPhone as much as we can to create a more fair phone.

I was overwhelmed to read all the positive comments about the FairPhone project and the fact that XDA-developers have been following it, ordered FairPhones and discussing forth and back about the concept.

I think the chipset argument is very good, since the MediaTek is not very open. However, this version of the FairPhone is the first step in the FairPhone story that we believe will go far. The choice was made to be able to get a product out that was more fair than what you can find on the market currently in a very short time.

I know the main guys behind the project (Miquel Ballester and Bas van Abel) and they are as far as I know doing everything they can to build a fairer phone.

We are very interested in hearing how we can make the FairPhone more fair for the next version.

Currently we have entered our Quality Assurance period and are planning to provide the release candidate code in one month.
    I already ordered a FairPhone. But I'm not so interested in Firefox OS, rather in porting the FairPhone OS (which will be based on Android but with some modifications) to other devices and porting some Custom ROMs (I'm thinking of RootBox and SuperNexus cause they're my favorites) to FairPhone. And I'll make lots of videos about it on YouTube (Unboxing, tests, comparisons with other phones and so on...)