[APP] 4.4 (and lower?) BackOff, button backlight disabler

Search This thread

benwalburn

Jan 9, 2012
I designed a simple app that disables the backlight for the capacitive keys. It also installs an init.d script that disables them at each boot, meaning you can uninstall this app after using it, if you wish.

Perfect for roms that have a navbar but no option to disable the button lights, or anyone who doesn't need the glow to tell you where your buttons are.

I tested this on SkimKat. I'd like to know if it works on JB roms.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gmail.benwalburn.backoff

Edit: I noticed that the screenshots make it look like a widget. This is definitely not a widget, but an app overlaying the home screen. In other news: I'm accepting better screenshots (I don't own this device)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

stevo11

Sep 2, 2010
Does it have an option to undo the init.d script after it runs? Can it do it on the fly or does it require a reboot?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

brockkk

Aug 29, 2010
doesn't work on cm11 unfortunately. can't find a damn way to disable the back button -=\

benwalburn

Jan 9, 2012
doesn't work on cm11 unfortunately. can't find a damn way to disable the back button -=\

Sorry about the delay. Does it disable the backlight at all or is it only after a reboot that it fails? Does your rom support init.d?

Also, my app only disables the light, not the actual button.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: gtdtm

thorrules

Jun 24, 2012
Cary, NC
I designed a simple app that disables the backlight for the capacitive keys. It also installs an init.d script that disables them at each boot, meaning you can uninstall this app after using it, if you wish.

Perfect for roms that have a navbar but no option to disable the button lights, or anyone who doesn't need the glow to tell you where your buttons are.

Edit: I noticed that the screenshots make it look like a widget. This is definitely not a widget, but an app overlaying the home screen. In other news: I'm accepting better screenshots (I don't own this device)

Awesome. Now my ROM is complete :)

Sent from my Galaxy S3 (d2vzw) running Kitkat

gtdtm

May 23, 2012
I decided to give this a go since the option hasn't been merged into AOKP 4.4 yet. It does what it says. Thanks for the simple app.

K, so I hate to go back on this...It is still nice, but it doesn't seem to persist on a reboot. Any thoughts on why that may be?

Last edited:

benwalburn

Jan 9, 2012
I decided to give this a go since the option hasn't been merged into AOKP 4.4 yet. It does what it says. Thanks for the simple app.

K, so I hate to go back on this...It is still nice, but it doesn't seem to persist on a reboot. Any thoughts on why that may be?

If it doesn't persist it's because your rom doesn't support init.d. You could try another kernel for now. I'm dabbling at support for roms without init.d, but I hate to make my app run at boot.

Reactions: gtdtm

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Does it have an option to undo the init.d script after it runs? Can it do it on the fly or does it require a reboot?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

Sorry, yes there is an option to undo it and it works on the fly.

Sorry about the delay. Does it disable the backlight at all or is it only after a reboot that it fails? Does your rom support init.d?

Also, my app only disables the light, not the actual button.

If it doesn't persist it's because your rom doesn't support init.d. You could try another kernel for now. I'm dabbling at support for roms without init.d, but I hate to make my app run at boot.