Well, good news and bad news.
The good news is that I've got the phone back to stock MDL!!!! <whew!> The bad news is that I'm an idiot.
Where I screwed up was that when I connected the phone, I had only done the VolDn, Home and Power button into download mode. What I didn't do was hit the VolUp from that screen to actually get into download mode. As soon as I did that, Odin recognized it. I was then able to use this method
to reflash it with stock MDL. Now I'm back to stock and with MDL.
Hopefully, this if somebody else forgets this important step, this thread will help them.
Thanks to everybody for the help though! It got my mind thinking the right way to find the solution.