Other device, comparisons to other devices, and upgrading phone discussion

Search This thread

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
Please use this thread to discuss devices other than and any comparisons with other devices on or about the GS 5 in this thread and any other off-topic issues that are not needing a new thread.

Post with respect, this is a helpful community, hope we all learn from this stuff in here.

Last edited:

aryehzev

Jun 15, 2011
Denver
How likely is it for the T-Mobile s5 to have a locked bootloader like att and verizon s4?
(I'm worried because the Xperia Z1s from T-Mobile wasn't unlockable even though sony devices usually are... So are locked bootloaders T-Mobile's new policy?)

overlord727

Jul 18, 2011
Columbia, MD
Anyone think there will be a chance for a GPE? It seems like the M8 will be getting one according to the HTC gallery description in the Play Store. If so, I would prefer the S5 GPE over the M8 version.

vinterchaos

May 7, 2008
South of Boston
I'm coming from a Note2... I love the device, but honestly its slightly larger then I'd like for 1 hand holding. I'm not looking forward to adjusting to a smaller screen. lol

G7Baker

Mar 11, 2013
Jacksonville
Metro Pcs Gs5 with a T-Mobile sim? or visa versa?

hey do any of you guys know if the metro pics GS5 can be used wit a T-Mobile sim or does it need to be unlocked? I know that metro uses T-Mobile towers now I'm wondering if it will be the same model

HTC_nut

Feb 14, 2009
Backordered?

Just ordered GS5 from t-mobile and got an email saying back ordered, anybody else order one and receive the email? I wonder if its just because its not available. :confused:

vinterchaos

May 7, 2008
South of Boston
I have an S5 being delivered today, but I kinda sorta want to try something new and go with the HTC One M8, but a year to a year and half of something new may be regrettable.... blah

sikaros

Mar 20, 2014
Just upgraded from an s2 and man I'm sure glad I did this phone is so much faster!

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

sling

Aug 7, 2007
Va Beach / Hatteras NC
I purchased a couple hours ago pretty happy with it so.
Signal . Wifi , data strength & call quality is stronger then LG G2 which is a good sign.
Hopefully battery life provides positive results....I will give it a couple charge cycles.
If all is well I will be rooting this bad boy next week & building some goodies.

Anyway good to be holding a Samsung device again.

lawhawk

Oct 2, 2008
Can anyone explain the decision to stick with 2 GB ram - same as it was going back to the SIII? The Note 3 had 3, and I realize its a faster processor- but S3 and 4 already are snappy enough which handling whatever you do on screen, its the background processes and heavy multitasking with lots of apps working where the phone starts to hang and start to feel sluggish.

~ sent from my tin can attached to a string ~

crazeco

Oct 8, 2011
I bought the Samsung GS5 and HTC One M8. Now I have to return one. Help me decide which one!

I purchased both phones to use simultaneously for a couple weeks. I was confident that at the end of the two weeks, I’d have a clear answer about which phone was best for me – but I’m still torn.

I do think I have my mind made up about which phone is better in specific categories, and maybe some things people don’t think about when writing reviews.

Camera image quality on good shots: GS5.

Outside M8:

Outside GS5:

Auto settings. I upscaled the M8 image to 16MP. I think IMGUR might automatically downscale. My overall impression is that the M8 takes in too much light. It’s difficult to avoid, even when playing with exposure settings. Once you zoom, the GS5 16MP really comes into play. You can be the judge on which images are better, and by how much.

Camera consistency: M8. 50% my shots with the S5 end up a bit blurry. 75% of my M8 shots are in focus. That’s with still imagery.
Which is more important? Overall quality on excellent shots, or consistency?

Handfeel:

The S5 is easier to hold, especially when laying down in bed. The S5 is lighter and weighted in a way that feels like my hand is simply connected to the device. It doesn’t put strain on my wrist or make me feel concerned about dropping it at all. My confidence level holding the device without a case is extremely high. On the other hand, the S5 has a filmy/slimy feeling that makes it feel dirty. It always feels like the back of the S5 was rubbed on a slice of pizza. I feel confident holding it, but I don’t enjoy it. It’s very uninspiring.

The M8 feels amazing in the hand. I consistently want to pick it up for no other reason than to hold it. It has a nice cool temperature that is very welcoming. I don’t think the M8 is more slippery than the S5. I think it’s how the device is weighted. It’s harder to hold because it feels screen side heavy. When I’m holding it in bed, I always feel like the device is going to slip out of my hand and fall on my face. Not because the case is more slippery, but because of the weight. I am constantly reinforcing my grip on the phone out of fear of dropping it. It’s a strange mix of wanting to pick it up, and being afraid to pick it up.

I did use a GS4 and a Galaxy Nexus prior to that. I wonder how much of this is because I simply feel comfortable with Samsung devices? From a practical standpoint I feel the S5 is the better phone here. From an emotional standpoint I like how the HTC makes me feel.
Turning the device on and off:

The S5 can be turned on with the home button or power button. I’ve found hitting the home button is easier than double tapping. I’ve been able to use the fingerprint scanner with about 80% accuracy with one hand and my thumb. Accessing the camera from the lockscreen produces a second or two of lag.

The M8 is double tap or the top power button. The power button is my least favorite option, it’s recessed and actually fairly difficult to push. Double tap works when you hold the device, but not as well when the device is laying on a surface. For example, if I’m playing music and want to change a song, double tap doesn’t recognize my input 50% of the time. I have to keep double tapping or eventually pick the device up or hit the power button to turn the screen on.

On a positive side with the M8, tilting the device to the side and hitting the volume up key does instantly bring the M8 camera on. And it’s fast. Very handy.

Turning the devices off, there’s always a moment when reaching up to the power button on the M8 that I’m consciously concerned about dropping the device. Side power buttons are better.

Buttons:

Am I the only one that thinks it makes sense to have the back button on the right side like Samsung does it? I use the back button with my thumb 95% more than the current apps button. I don’t enjoy reaching across the screen on the M8. I also tend to prefer the Samsung home button, even though it’s an additional point of failure. I like being able to click a button to turn the screen on or go home. The tactile feel helps very much. I’m often hunting around on the M8 for the onscreen buttons, because the “HTC” bezel throws me off. What a waste of space.

Screen:

The S5 auto brightness is darker than the M8. With AB off, it’s easier to read text on the S5. With it on, it’s generally easier to read text on the M8. S5 is more vibrant with pictures, but the M8 has better contrast. I love the extra screen real estate due to the lack of screen buttons on the S5.

Touchwiz vs Sense: No preference.

How long will I keep the device:

I feel that the M8 will be gone in a year, because the M9 will have a better camera that make it a worthwhile upgrade. I can see myself holding onto the S5 for two years, it really is maxed out with specs and just works. On the other hand, the uninspiring nature of the S5 will probably make me want to ditch it in 2015.

Last edited:

barondebxl

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
I bought the Samsung GS5 and HTC One M8. Now I have to return one. Help me decide which one!

I purchased both phones to use simultaneously for a couple weeks. I was confident that at the end of the two weeks, I’d have a clear answer about which phone was best for me – but I’m still torn.

I do think I have my mind made up about which phone is better in specific categories, and maybe some things people don’t think about when writing reviews.

Outside M8: [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Pk8jEUw.jpg[/IMG]

Outside GS5:

Auto settings. I upscaled the M8 image to 16MP. I think IMGUR might automatically downscale. My overall impression is that the M8 takes in too much light. It’s difficult to avoid, even when playing with exposure settings. Once you zoom, the GS5 16MP really comes into play. You can be the judge on which images are better, and by how much.

Camera consistency: M8. 50% my shots with the S5 end up a bit blurry. 75% of my M8 shots are in focus. That’s with still imagery.

Handfeel:

The S5 is easier to hold, especially when laying down in bed. The S5 is lighter and weighted in a way that feels like my hand is simply connected to the device. It doesn’t put strain on my wrist or make me feel concerned about dropping it at all. My confidence level holding the device without a case is extremely high. On the other hand, the S5 has a filmy/slimy feeling that makes it feel dirty. It always feels like the back of the S5 was rubbed on a slice of pizza. I feel confident holding it, but I don’t enjoy it. It’s very uninspiring.

The M8 feels amazing in the hand. I consistently want to pick it up for no other reason than to hold it. It has a nice cool temperature that is very welcoming. I don’t think the M8 is more slippery than the S5. I think it’s how the device is weighted. It’s harder to hold because it feels screen side heavy. When I’m holding it in bed, I always feel like the device is going to slip out of my hand and fall on my face. Not because the case is more slippery, but because of the weight. I am constantly reinforcing my grip on the phone out of fear of dropping it. It’s a strange mix of wanting to pick it up, and being afraid to pick it up.

I did use a GS4 and a Galaxy Nexus prior to that. I wonder how much of this is because I simply feel comfortable with Samsung devices? From a practical standpoint I feel the S5 is the better phone here. From an emotional standpoint I like how the HTC makes me feel.

The S5 can be turned on with the home button or power button. I’ve found hitting the home button is easier than double tapping. I’ve been able to use the fingerprint scanner with about 80% accuracy with one hand and my thumb. Accessing the camera from the lockscreen produces a second or two of lag.

The M8 is double tap or the top power button. The power button is my least favorite option, it’s recessed and actually fairly difficult to push. Double tap works when you hold the device, but not as well when the device is laying on a surface. For example, if I’m playing music and want to change a song, double tap doesn’t recognize my input 50% of the time. I have to keep double tapping or eventually pick the device up or hit the power button to turn the screen on.

On a positive side with the M8, tilting the device to the side and hitting the volume up key does instantly bring the M8 camera on. And it’s fast. Very handy.

Turning the devices off, there’s always a moment when reaching up to the power button on the M8 that I’m consciously concerned about dropping the device. Side power buttons are better.

Buttons:

Am I the only one that thinks it makes sense to have the back button on the right side like Samsung does it? I use the back button with my thumb 95% more than the current apps button. I don’t enjoy reaching across the screen on the M8. I also tend to prefer the Samsung home button, even though it’s an additional point of failure. I like being able to click a button to turn the screen on or go home. The tactile feel helps very much. I’m often hunting around on the M8 for the onscreen buttons, because the “HTC” bezel throws me off. What a waste of space.

Screen:

The S5 auto brightness is darker than the M8. With AB off, it’s easier to read text on the S5. With it on, it’s generally easier to read text on the M8. S5 is more vibrant with pictures, but the M8 has better contrast. I love the extra screen real estate due to the lack of screen buttons on the S5.

I feel that the M8 will be gone in a year, because the M9 will have a better camera that make it a worthwhile upgrade. I can see myself holding onto the S5 for two years, it really is maxed out with specs and just works. On the other hand, the uninspiring nature of the S5 will probably make me want to ditch it in 2015.

Dude first of all thanks a lot for a very informative post, really appreciate it.

I'm interested yo know your input about the performance of both devices. If you don't mind, can u give a detailed opinion about the performance like you did about the rest on your post above? Thanks! Want to see how the S5 does compared to the M8.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

crazeco

Oct 8, 2011
Dude first of all thanks a lot for a very informative post, really appreciate it.

I'm interested yo know your input about the performance of both devices. If you don't mind, can u give a detailed opinion about the performance like you did about the rest on your post above? Thanks! Want to see how the S5 does compared to the M8.

I addressed some of this in the above, I made the following post in the HTC forum and thought this might answer your question on "performance":

I used the M8 and S5 side by side for over a week. I really wanted to keep the M8, but I couldn't.

Basic inputs:

It actually takes longer to use the M8 for basic inputs, turning the device on, and turning it off. The Samsung turns on a bit faster with just pushing the home button. Fingerprint scanner unlocks more quickly. Side power button is far superior.

Double tap on the M8 is NOT perfect. Neither is holding the device in landscape and hitting the volume key to activate the camera (doesn't work on the first try about 30%). Double tap takes you to the first lock screen. Then you have to slide the icon of what you want to use and input your pin. This can be mitigated by utilizing swipes instead of double tap. It's still not faster.

Buttons:

I often found myself constantly hunting for the onscreen buttons on the M8. The empty HTC bezel throws you off. It's very hard to have muscle memory when you have a big empty row where you think the buttons are. It also takes a moment for the buttons to simply appear. S5 doesn't have this issue due to the hardware home button.

Screen Off:

However often we turn the screen on, a lot of us are also turning it off. It takes longer to turn the screen off on the M8 than it does the S5. Every time I turned the M8 off with one hand it required maneuvering the device in a way that made me fear dropping it because the power button is on top and the device is long. I generally used my other hand to hit the power button just for that reason. That's not necessary on the S5.

Screen on with Music:

I LOVE the M8 speakers. I love playing music on this device around the house, while I'm in the shower, etc. If I am playing music on the M8 and have the device on the counter, and I want to change a song, it's not designed to register a doubletap when laying flat. With the S5, I hit the home button and it brings the screen up. It takes significantly longer to either find a way to hit the top power button or repeatedly tap the screen until it registers on the M8.

Speed:

In day to day use, after disabling bloat on the S5, the devices are equally as snappy. In fact, the S5 is more accessible for the reasons mentioned above. That's all that matters, because all of us here are capable of tinkering and optimizing.

Everyone wants to talk about microseconds worth of lag, what about basic functions, like turning the screen off. It's little things like that, things I do often, which should be taken into consideration when you talk about how long you have to wait for things between devices. If we are going to argue about tenths of a second, these things matter.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Outside M8:

Outside GS5:

Handfeel:

Buttons:

Screen:

I addressed some of this in the above, I made the following post in the HTC forum and thought this might answer your question on "performance":

I used the M8 and S5 side by side for over a week. I really wanted to keep the M8, but I couldn't.

Basic inputs:

It actually takes longer to use the M8 for basic inputs, turning the device on, and turning it off. The Samsung turns on a bit faster with just pushing the home button. Fingerprint scanner unlocks more quickly. Side power button is far superior.

Double tap on the M8 is NOT perfect. Neither is holding the device in landscape and hitting the volume key to activate the camera (doesn't work on the first try about 30%). Double tap takes you to the first lock screen. Then you have to slide the icon of what you want to use and input your pin. This can be mitigated by utilizing swipes instead of double tap. It's still not faster.

Buttons:

I often found myself constantly hunting for the onscreen buttons on the M8. The empty HTC bezel throws you off. It's very hard to have muscle memory when you have a big empty row where you think the buttons are. It also takes a moment for the buttons to simply appear. S5 doesn't have this issue due to the hardware home button.

Screen Off:

However often we turn the screen on, a lot of us are also turning it off. It takes longer to turn the screen off on the M8 than it does the S5. Every time I turned the M8 off with one hand it required maneuvering the device in a way that made me fear dropping it because the power button is on top and the device is long. I generally used my other hand to hit the power button just for that reason. That's not necessary on the S5.

Screen on with Music:

I LOVE the M8 speakers. I love playing music on this device around the house, while I'm in the shower, etc. If I am playing music on the M8 and have the device on the counter, and I want to change a song, it's not designed to register a doubletap when laying flat. With the S5, I hit the home button and it brings the screen up. It takes significantly longer to either find a way to hit the top power button or repeatedly tap the screen until it registers on the M8.

Speed:

In day to day use, after disabling bloat on the S5, the devices are equally as snappy. In fact, the S5 is more accessible for the reasons mentioned above. That's all that matters, because all of us here are capable of tinkering and optimizing.

Everyone wants to talk about microseconds worth of lag, what about basic functions, like turning the screen off. It's little things like that, things I do often, which should be taken into consideration when you talk about how long you have to wait for things between devices. If we are going to argue about tenths of a second, these things matter.
    Holy crap I didn't expect such a fast response with a decent size post, you're faster then both the M8 and S5!!!!!

Thanks for the reply. I could care less about metal or plastic or whatever. What I want is a device with good development t, good battery life, a great display, great performance with no lag or stuttering (or at least as little as possible) and definitely features. Ergonomics are a plus. Which one would you recommend me?? Thanks man!!

:laugh: I had just made a post in the HTC forum, I figured it was a good response to your question!

Development:

Compare the # of posts in the M8 forum vs. S5 forum. Twice as many here. There will be more development and a bigger community on this device. I personally don't care about this at all. :)

Display:

I compared the displays VERY closely. The S5 wins on ALL fronts except one: Autobrightness. I had them side by side, the S5 shows much truer whites than the M8. The M8 at max brightness looks almost yellow. The S5 looks pure white. The screen is BIGGER on the S5 and isn't crowded with software buttons. I am simply not a fan of software buttons. I like tactile feel. The screen on the S5 can get VERY VERY dark, the M8 can't. The S5 AB is wonky, always a bit too dark. The M8 is always just a few steps brighter. This is always a plus except for at night.

Lag:

Disable S-Voice, My Magazine, transitions, and go into developer mode and reduce animations to .5x, and trash/disable all the bloat in apps. The S5 has no lag at all once you do that. I know it's a PITA, and you shouldn't have to do that from factory, but just do it. You're on XDA, it's easy for you. The other reasons I mentioned in my previous post are all equally applicable here. The device is faster from a basic INPUT perspective. I think that matters a lot.

Features:

They are both android phones. Software they are identical IMO. I won't ever use the fitness stuff on the device. I won't ever buy a gear fit watch (that's technically a feature). The main feature is the fingerprint scanner. Train it with one hand and your thumb to the side. Do three prints of just your thumb. It's then easy to unlock with one hand 90% of the time on the first swipe. It's very fast.

The M8 has much, much better speakers. If you use your device as a music player on a desk, around the house, in the bathroom, this matters. You can also activate the camera by tilting the device and hitting the volume button, this is a nice feature on the M8.

The camera software on the M8 is better. The camera itself is not. There's an option to go 100% manual mode that lets you adjust color, exposure, ISO, shutter, and focus on the FLY. There's nothing like that on the S5, here's a pic:

htc-one-m8-Screenshot-1.jpg

S5 water resistance is nice to me because I have a daughter, I live in Oregon (it rains), and I use my device in the bathroom (I know, gross).

Ergonomics:

I'm going to differentiate this from "AESTHETICS" for my opinion here. The S5 is easier to hold and issue inputs into for almost all purposes. It's lighter and requires far less movement with your hand. It has a "thumb mode" available through software which can shrink the screen size down.

The M8 is too long and doesn't have a power button available to easily press. It's much easier to keep a firm grip on the S5 than the M8. I was constantly in fear of dropping the M8.

From an aesthetics perspective, the M8 wins. It looks much, much nicer and just screams to be held. From a practical perspective, the S5 has better ergonomics.

My Recommendation:

If you care about features and functionality and ergonomics, take the S5. If you care about how a phone looks and makes you feel when holding it and having a mini-boombox, take the M8. If the camera is your only consideration, take the S5.
    You will get better battery life and better development

I made the switch from g3 to galaxy s5 due to some lag in the g3 and lack of development. I am glad I made the switch but miss a few things the g3 offered like the lockscreen and knock to wake but I have rooted the s5 to get the features I like and changed the lock screen to lg optimus lock screen so I can have lock screen shortcuts and widgets. I am happy with the switch.
    Non removable battery I can live with. Lack of microsd expansion is a deal breaker. I live in rural country and I go places often where I have no service.