Galaxy Nexus Desktop Dock Now available @ Expansys

Search This thread

daverab

Apr 9, 2012
You need to have Android 4.0.4 for the stock clock to work. You could try Gentle Alarms (trial version through Market) which has an internal setting to react to docking but I'm not sure if that will work without 4.0.4 either I'm afraid.

Oh boy. So I have a GSM Galaxy Nexus with 4.0.2. It won't upgrade to 4.0.4 OTA. I may end up forcing it after this mess.

Behavior in the dock is all over the place. At first it put the home screen in a mode where it can rotate, even do a 180 even after pulling it from the dock. After about 5 tries it asked what I wanted to do to complete the action (presumably docking), either Clock or tunein. I said clock. Well now low and behold, my home screen is now the clock. No software settings to reset that. Had to reboot the phone to get back normal behavior. I am a fan of keeping my primary phone stock, but yeesh.

El Daddy

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2008
Roseville, MN
I thought it didn't come with charger?

bow chicka wow wow.

It doesn't. I plugged my nexus one charger into mine.

Oh boy. So I have a GSM Galaxy Nexus with 4.0.2. It won't upgrade to 4.0.4 OTA. I may end up forcing it after this mess.

Behavior in the dock is all over the place. At first it put the home screen in a mode where it can rotate, even do a 180 even after pulling it from the dock. After about 5 tries it asked what I wanted to do to complete the action (presumably docking), either Clock or tunein. I said clock. Well now low and behold, my home screen is now the clock. No software settings to reset that. Had to reboot the phone to get back normal behavior. I am a fan of keeping my primary phone stock, but yeesh.

Just flash the stock google images with fastboot for 4.0.4.
http://code.google.com/android/nexus/images.html

daverab

Apr 9, 2012
Just flash the stock google images with fastboot for 4.0.4.

Thanks for the heads up. Turns out I had the yakjuxw setup, hence it wasn't updating via google. Now I've got it back to stock yakju software. Guess that's what I get for overnighting an unlocked gsm phone from Singapore that actually was in a box with Polish writing on the back and the manual also in polish.

-------
Back on topic: Now that it's 4.0.4 it works 100% instead of every 5th or 6th try on docking. For those curious about <4.0.4, don't bother with it. You need 4.0.4 for it to work correctly.

Dictate

Mar 3, 2011
Ordered one from The Source. I figure if I don't like it, I'll just return it. Sounds useful though.

Swyped from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Treggs

Aug 9, 2010
Is everyone else just waiting for expansys USA to get stock in? I ordered on the 13th and it been 6 days... sigh. UK has stock but want to charge me 40 pounds to ship to Oz. Screw that. Hurry up Expansys!!

@rbiter

Dec 4, 2011
General Use: When docked everything switches to landscape. Lock screen (with music controls), launcher, app drawer, etc. The dialer however, doesn't display correctly in landscape. I've attached photos to illustrate what I'm talking about.

Audio: This dock, unlike the Nexus One dock does not pair to bluetooth for audio. I'm guessing the audio is transferred through one of the pogo pins.
When you play music, youtube, etc. the sound comes only from the audio out. Notifications and the phone ringer seem to play from both the phone and audio out.
When playing music, if you adjust the volume from your phone, the levels do not change until you get to zero. It then mutes the audio.
If you take the phone out of the dock while playing music the audio will pause.
If you don't have anything plugged into audio out sound will function as normal.
The manual states to not use the audio jack with headphones.

For my initial reaction and other info check this post

sorry. have to slightly correct you as i just got mine. true the dialer doesn't display correctly when docked. click on the orange bar and the rest is self explanatory. during calls, you're on speakerphone. from the phone sadly. clicking on speakerphone icon doesn't change anything. if you adjust the volume from your phone, volume does in fact change. it is about half a second delay but it does in fact work well. i personally will be changing volume from my receiver so this should not be a big deal depending on your needs. i didn't see anything in the manual about not using headphones, but i might've missed it. i would go further though to say, i can tell the signal output is very solid so it probably isn't a good idea to use headphones. you might blow them, especially if they're very sensitive.

i am unsure how audio is played out. i don't see any sign of bluetooth being used. it is hard to say if sound is going through that one pin. i personally would think not but it is not impossible. i am stumped because i don't believe it's going through that pin, but otoh, music plays instantly when docked.

but what is more perplexing and pissing me off is i have to start playing music first before i dock, if i want the clock. if i dock first then play music from my widget on homescreen then i can't get the clock because my screen times out and then turns off. i then hit volume button to wake up screen and i'm present with landscape lockscreen and no music controls, i then unlock, start music, wash rinse repeat.

no options from play music or power amp for dock. have played with everything that might affect outcome of previous paragraph and no dice.

also, there is a dock setting if you are on 4.0.4. i have two options. audio setting for dock and play sound when docked. my audio settings are grayed out. wtf? WTF?

btw, if anybody curious the dock is cool. aside from the small problems mentioned above, well worth the $60 to save some wear and tear on my usb port and get a stronger signal, thus better sound from the dock as opposed to 3.5 mm jack to l/r rca jacks on my denon receiver. sound is really better from the dock for some reason. must be the high performance mode which i don't have in my kernel.

also note i am running 4.0.4 stock google yakju rom and almost stock kernel. i have ogdobber's stock kernel that allows undervolting. don't know what else to say. if you're sitting on the fence about this because the price is a little too high, get it. for the premium sound and save your usb port. that is if you plan on keeping the phone awhile. if you're also sitting on the fence about a future phone, you may as well pass.

SKYLINESSUCK

Sep 14, 2010
Okinawa, Japan
I just got mine today. Nice quality. One thing that may or may not be interesting. I was playing with it in the parking lot of the post office and my phone started playing music via bluetooth over my car stereo as normal. I think plugged in the dock to my car charger and put the phone in it. The music never stopped the whole way home. I think somebody mentioned not having sounds over BT when its plugged in is why I mentioned it.

Treggs

Aug 9, 2010
I just got mine today. Nice quality. One thing that may or may not be interesting. I was playing with it in the parking lot of the post office and my phone started playing music via bluetooth over my car stereo as normal. I think plugged in the dock to my car charger and put the phone in it. The music never stopped the whole way home. I think somebody mentioned not having sounds over BT when its plugged in is why I mentioned it.

That's good to know. I normally have my gnex sitting on my desk and connected via bluetooth to my desktop computer. Makes the music come out of my computer speakers :)

I was pretty sure it would work in the dock and this confirms it, thanks.

jeffreytz

Audio is "line out"

Does the manual say why you shouldnt do that?

The reason you shouldn't plug headphones into the dock's 3.5mm jack is because it's supposedly a true "line out" jack, meaning line level output. That's also why the volume controls on the phone don't change the volume level. It's just like some portable CD players (old school) that had both headphone jacks (variable volume output) and line-out (line level so you could hook up to your stereo amp or PC line in card). When using line-level output you use the volume control of the device you've piped into.

I really like this dock, it looks fantastic sitting on my desk. My GNx (yakju) is still sitting at 4.0.2 so I guess I'm going to unlock the bootloader and flash the 4.0.4 image this weekend since it refuses to update OTA and the dock is really a waste without it.

Last edited:

@rbiter

Dec 4, 2011
The reason you shouldn't plug headphones into the dock's 3.5mm jack is because it's supposedly a true "line out" jack, meaning line level output. That's also why the volume controls on the phone don't change the volume level. It's just like some portable CD players (old school) that had both headphone jacks (variable volume output) and line-out (line level so you could hook up to your stereo amp or PC line in card). When using line-level output you use the volume control of the device you've piped into.

I really like this dock, it looks fantastic sitting on my desk. My GNx (yakju) is still sitting at 4.0.2 so I guess I'm going to unlock the bootloader and flash the 4.0.4 image this weekend since it refuses to update OTA and the dock is really a waste without it.

I don't have any problems changing volume on my phone in dock. Not as much control as my receiver but works.

bow chicka wow wow.

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20

@rbiter

Dec 4, 2011
so what's up with the audio setting in dock settings? how come it is grayed out?

guido.rosso

Jul 19, 2010
I ordered 2 of these docks over two weeks ago from Expansys. I finally received the shipment a few days ago, only to discover that they sent me the wrong docks! Checked my order and I definitely selected the right items. They screwed up and shipped the wrong items. Now they expect me to pay $50+ to ship the items back to them, even though it was their mistake. Ridiculous customer service. :mad:

@rbiter

Dec 4, 2011
I ordered 2 of these docks over two weeks ago from Expansys. I finally received the shipment a few days ago, only to discover that they sent me the wrong docks! Checked my order and I definitely selected the right items. They screwed up and shipped the wrong items. Now they expect me to pay $50+ to ship the items back to them, even though it was their mistake. Ridiculous customer service. :mad:

Talk to Corey. Look up the expansys thread and pm him. But he might not be active on forums since expansys and other exporters were hot hot hot when nexus was shipping. Try emailing him or asking over phone. Tell him xda sent ya.

bow chicka wow wow.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have one on order but could you please describe the audio functions in more detail?

What happens when someone rings? Do I need audio plugged in? Can you have a hands free conversation with the phone still in the dock? Does it only play certain audio out the jack and if so details? Anything else you think is worth mentioning? I plan to have my phone pretty much sitting in this dock at my work desk unless I need to go somewhere. TIA :)

General Use: When docked everything switches to landscape. Lock screen (with music controls), launcher, app drawer, etc. The dialer however, doesn't display correctly in landscape. I've attached photos to illustrate what I'm talking about.

Audio: This dock, unlike the Nexus One dock does not pair to bluetooth for audio. I'm guessing the audio is transferred through one of the pogo pins.
    When you play music, youtube, etc. the sound comes only from the audio out. Notifications and the phone ringer seem to play from both the phone and audio out.
    When playing music, if you adjust the volume from your phone, the levels do not change until you get to zero. It then mutes the audio.
    If you take the phone out of the dock while playing music the audio will pause.
    If you don't have anything plugged into audio out sound will function as normal.
    The manual states to not use the audio jack with headphones.

Phone calls: When the phone rings while in the dock, the orientation will change to portrait. I haven't tested the speaker phone while in the dock but the handset mic is blocked by the dock housing so my guess is it won't work. You can pair the phone to bluetooth and answer calls that way if you want.

I hope that answers most of your questions.

For my initial reaction and other info check this post
    Dunce Much?

had you have stated WHICH Amazon site you were looking we would have this solved by now. don't get ****ty with me, your the typical person who doesn't know how to use the internet to search for things correctly.

u mad bro? :D

Right. Spot on. Thank you for clarifying what I was doing wrong all this time by providing incredibly helpful feedback. Never would have thought to search.
    Someone have the Gnex Desk Stand and Extended Battery with cover ?

I'm interrested with both of them :)

Edit:
    Hello,

Just tested this and the slightly larger cover does not interfere with the Desk Stand.

Kenneth Eilertsen (Quality Engineer, eXpansys)

source: http://www.expansys.fr/ft.aspx?k=253500
    The one main complaint I have is with Android's clock. It takes forever for it to go into "dark" mode and when it does, the time has an annoying "feature" of moving about and being a bit small (it could be larger). I couldn't find a half decent substitute though... Is there a half decent clock [preferably made for ICS]? Because this dock makes the phone perfect as an alarm clock.

Press the screen once and it will go somewhat dark, press and hold for 1 second after that and it goes completely dark except for the blue clock. The clock moves around to prevent screen burn-in.

Dock Clock is nice. You can customize the font and size, add weather, date, etc:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gadgetjuice.dockclock
    Yes, you need to have the 4.0.4 update for dock mode to work. The release of 4.0.4 is what's been holding up the release of these docks for the past few months supposedly.

@ El Daddy--Expansys supposedly tried the dock with an LTE model and said it almost fit, but was off by just enough that you had to push the phone down into the cradle to make it touch the pogo pins and as soon as you stopped pushing, it would disconnect.