Tablet advice.

Search This thread

jerrygooch

Jul 9, 2011
Conway
www.jerrygooch.com
So I cracked my Transformer Prime's screen and I think it knocked the camera loose as well. I was wondering what you would do in my situation. I'm leaning towards selling it and the keyboard dock as is for 250 starting bid on eBay and going for a 16gb Nexus 7. Then again the 10.1 Note is around the corner and would be outstanding for class. I also figured the Nexus 7 wouldn't have a terrible resale value if we see the 10.1 Note or perhaps a 10.1 Nexus tablet. I really like Sammy and wouldn't mind switching to their tablet line. Thoughts?

sent from the next best thing

unleashed12

Mar 7, 2010
Calgary
I see nexus 7 as a separate class from regular tablets, its a really cool 200 tablet for fun and games though I doubt I'll ever use it for serious note taking or textbook reading like I do with my iPad. That's why for now I'm keeping my iPad and n7. Though the note looks amazing for note taking so once that comes out I might even sell my iPad for it .

So that's why I say if you can keep a full sized tablet for serious work and just buy n7 for play and light browsing. The n7 is cheap enough that it actually seems feasible to have possibly the note and n7 in your case.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Last edited:

unleashed12

Mar 7, 2010
Calgary
Think I'm going to have to get a Nexus 7 till I see the note or Nexus 10. I can't believe I cracked my screen. :( thanks for the input.

Sounds good ,that's what I would do if I was in your situation and yeah that sucks. Can't you warranty it possibly?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Aridon

May 14, 2007
I'm still holding off on the tablets. The nexus 7 almost got me to jump and I think I would have if they had included a sd card slot for more storage. I'm not a big cloud person for media I have on a hard drive and with storage prices what they are its a stupid decision.

Reactions: theROMinator

cavsoldier19d

Feb 1, 2011
Florida
As a transformer user I would say check out the tf300t or the infinity tf700 since u are already familiar with Asus. I would switch to a galaxy tab if they had a foldable keyboard doc exactly like Asus. But the keyboard is the main selling point for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

jerrygooch

Jul 9, 2011
Conway
www.jerrygooch.com
I'm still holding off on the tablets. The nexus 7 almost got me to jump and I think I would have if they had included a sd card slot for more storage. I'm not a big cloud person for media I have on a hard drive and with storage prices what they are its a stupid decision.

That's my one major issue. Granted i only add a few games and essential apps as well as tons of books. All my music is on Google music and I'm rarely without internet. Idk seems like Google is really pushing to do away with expandable storage.

As a transformer user I would say check out the tf300t or the infinity tf700 since u are already familiar with Asus. I would switch to a galaxy tab if they had a foldable keyboard doc exactly like Asus. But the keyboard is the main selling point for me.

Yeah, I think I may keep with the transformer line. I just have to generate some cash. My problem with the Prime was GPS (not a major concern), really weak WiFi, and terrible (really bad) disk I/O speeds. I know the tf300 and tf700 fixed the WiFi and GPS.. but I really don't want to suffer with such bad read/write speeds. The whole system locked up when I install an app. Even with custom kernels to try and fix the issue.

cavsoldier19d

Feb 1, 2011
Florida
Yeah, I think I may keep with the transformer line. I just have to generate some cash. My problem with the Prime was GPS (not a major concern), really weak WiFi, and terrible (really bad) disk I/O speeds. I know the tf300 and tf700 fixed the WiFi and GPS.. but I really don't want to suffer with such bad read/write speeds. The whole system locked up when I install an app. Even with custom kernels to try and fix the issue.

I can personally vouch for the tf300. No WiFi or GPS issues. Its been working great so far. But keep in mind that the 300 is the value model that gets u the best bang for your buck. Its not a high end model like the tf700 is supposed to be. My only major complaint about the 300 is that asus provides an app that unlocks the boot loader for u so u can flash custom ROMs. The downside is that the app sends your serial no. to asus and then permanently voids your warranty. So far all efforts to defeat this has failed because the process is ridiculously complex and encrypted. You can root without voiding your warranty though.

jerrygooch

Jul 9, 2011
Conway
www.jerrygooch.com
I can personally vouch for the tf300. No WiFi or GPS issues. Its been working great so far. But keep in mind that the 300 is the value model that gets u the best bang for your buck. Its not a high end model like the tf700 is supposed to be. My only major complaint about the 300 is that asus provides an app that unlocks the boot loader for u so u can flash custom ROMs. The downside is that the app sends your serial no. to asus and then permanently voids your warranty. So far all efforts to defeat this has failed because the process is ridiculously complex and encrypted. You can root without voiding your warranty though.

How are the I/O speeds? The prime had horrible lag when downloading an app or anything else that required lots of reading and writing.

cavsoldier19d

Feb 1, 2011
Florida
How are the I/O speeds? The prime had horrible lag when downloading an app or anything else that required lots of reading and writing.

Seems to be fine to me. No noticeable I/o issues. The 300 does have the new quad core tegra 3 processor and upgraded ram type. So it can certainly perform better than the prime.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.