Hacking the Boxee Box (Violates GPL)

Search This thread

demoncamber

Jan 20, 2012
^ interesting.

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

I am a technology consultant and I work with D-Link on certain projects. Just to lay out a non-specific general response, D-Link is concerned about the situation with the now EOL Boxee Box, the "Box" further on, and it's original retail owners.

Regards

Could D-Link technically legally start making new firmware for it to advance it's capabilities?

cobrajocky

Jun 18, 2013
Don't know .....

^ interesting.

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

Could D-Link technically legally start making new firmware for it to advance it's capabilities?

I'm not a "legal beagle", so I can't say anything about any possibilities. But I was told that Boxee recently turned over certain rights to D-Link and the operation of the servers. D-Link had the "Box" made for them in Taiwan as part of the deal with Boxee, I am trying to clear up just who owns the rights to the "Box" design. Obviously the Intel CE processor is dead (that's what they get for trusting slimy Intel who lies threw they teeth as necessary), so the design based around that chip is dead. I had recommended the 1.5GHz Quad Core NVIDIA Tegra 3 dual and quad-core processor (as used in the Nexus 7 and various other ASUS Tablets) and still do.

As far as I am concerned, the "Box" is still a tremendous design (less the Intel processor), far superior to junk like the CrAppleTV and others with far fewer capabilities. With a far more scrupulous company developing a true open-source OS for it and all the same vendor Apps, this "Box" would rule the stand-alone streaming/media center market. No one would buy the AppleTV again, as in the beginning of its marketing.

Let D-Link know you'd like them to continue the development of the Boxee Box, without Boxee. Right now they think everyone that owns one hates them. UN-rightfully so.

SpaceOgre

May 1, 2009
Göteborg
I don't really blame D-Link, for me it have always been the Boxee team that felt nonchalant about developing the software in the direction that the users wanted. At the moment I'm trying to help with getting xbmc up and running on the BB (SpaceOgre on boxeedin forums) all the help any one can give is more than appreciated.

Reactions: demoncamber

Spoofy

Aug 13, 2009
Melbourne
Boxee lives again!

I have been using XBMC on boxee for some months now and am quite happy with the latest release. The boxee was almost useless otherwise.

Reactions: demoncamber

cobrajocky

Jun 18, 2013
What for?

I have been using XBMC on boxee for some months now and am quite happy with the latest release. The boxee was almost useless otherwise.

That's funny, I have two Boxee Boxes - one the first issue and one the last issue (with the remote with the Netflix red button on the remote) - and with only Boxee + hack installed, otherwise bone stock, it runs fantastic (better than original with Boxee +) and without XBMC.

I really don't see any reason to install XBMC and lose all the original Boxee Box features, with the Boxee + enhancements.

Spoofy

Aug 13, 2009
Melbourne
That's funny, I have two Boxee Boxes - one the first issue and one the last issue (with the remote with the Netflix red button on the remote) - and with only Boxee + hack installed, otherwise bone stock, it runs fantastic (better than original with Boxee +) and without XBMC.

I really don't see any reason to install XBMC and lose all the original Boxee Box features, with the Boxee + enhancements.

I was mainly using it for Netflix and Navi-x, the latter was unsupported and buggy. On xbmc it is flawless and well supportes, also it introduced me to 1channel which is brilliant almost. I still have Netflix on my ps3, even though everything is on the apps I mentioned previously I still keep Netflix for better quality streams.

Sent from my One using xda app-developers app

demoncamber

Jan 20, 2012
I was mainly using it for Netflix and Navi-x, the latter was unsupported and buggy. On xbmc it is flawless and well supportes, also it introduced me to 1channel which is brilliant almost. I still have Netflix on my ps3, even though everything is on the apps I mentioned previously I still keep Netflix for better quality streams.

Sent from my One using xda app-developers app

I have two drives connected to mine 2.5gb total, which is my main usage of boxee. But I also use Netflix and used to love navi-x, but in the last year navi has hardly been working on it. :(

Sent from my LG-D801

rodanny

May 14, 2009
help extract firmware

I have a BoxeeBox. Please how can extract my firmware?
I want to make a back-up before test some firmware hack...
Best,
danny

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well I'm looking for some talent to get the Boxee Box bootloaders unlocked so we can put custom firmware on it and/or XBMC. Boxee is based of of XBMC which is opened source yet the Boxee Box is closed and violates the GPL, see here for more info.

Not only that but they have lied again and again to there customers are now since it has reached EOL, and will only provide one more minor update before they put the maintenance tag on it. People requested they open the box but Boxee still refuses, the firmware still feels like a beta yet they think it's good enough. The firmware is a beta at best and it will become an expensive paperweight soon enough, actually it is for most of UK that have lost all online content. Before that happens to everyone i'm hoping one of you step up :p

The hardware is good just the software is utter crap, I'm sure if i can get some interested developers we soon will be free of Boxee's strong hold. I don't think there security is that good, we have some great talent here at xda and i'm sure it will be hacked rather easily. We already have root (see here) access its just a matter of time and the right people.

This is a company that has given the middle finger to every customer that has supported them, and i think its will be SWEET SWEET justice to have it hacked.

I have started a bounty thread in the Boxee forums so please do consider this. Hopefully i can get some interest and some donations for you guys.

UPDATE August 27th 2013

Thanks to the Samsung/Boxee buyout we are left with a broken product. I happy Sammy purchased them as it had so much potential and i'm sure we will see great future products. But for the Boxee Box its just junk now, but thanks to the hard work of "quarnster" he was able to get XBMC booting on Boxee. I ask if any dev's are willing to lend him a hand with the port and hardware acceleration.

Source
    For the people who want to play with it you can download my compiled builds at http://boxeed.in/forums/viewtopic.php?p=460#p460 be aware is in very early alpha stage and allot dont even work.
    You can already install a custom firmware to it, Boxee+

https://www.facebook.com/boxeeplus

http://boxeeplus.com

:)
    from Team Boxee [do-not-reply@boxee.tv] on 7/6/2013:

We’re pleased to announce that the Boxee team will be joining Samsung.

Samsung is the #1 consumer electronics company in the world. They produce all of the screens we watch entertainment on - TVs, laptops, phones, and tablets. We’re excited to collaborate with Samsung on how each of these devices can deliver a more integrated TV experience.

We’re working behind the scenes to ensure there’s minimal impact to your Boxee Box during this process.

The Boxee Box holds a special place in our heart as the first device we built. It was the first living room device to have a keyboard on the back of the remote. It was also the first XBMC-based set top box to be sold at major retailers.

It’s the device that really launched Boxee on the world stage, and we want to thank you for being a part of our journey.

Sincerely,
    Team Boxee

"The Boxee Box holds a special place in our heart" ... that made me throw up in my own mouth, they ditched the Boxee Box so quick it's not even funny...and then left all their customers high and dry, just like all the Cloud DVR customers now as well.

Definition of a sellout = getting your start with open source, then knowingly violating GPL for your own benefit.

Samsung just got duped!
    Aside from the (sometimes) lacking ability to shut down via remote, I have had no real issues with my Boxee Boxes (I have two).
    I'm running the most current (non-beta) firmware, and use them to stream netflix as well as various media on my NAS. Although I'd love for this to be fully opened up, I see no real issues with the current performance. Don't get me wrong - I am all for unlocking and going fully custom, but these devices are working for me just fine.

I started off with XBMC (almost a decade ago) when I soldered my Xecuter 2.3b lite chip into my original xbox.
    After that, I went a little crazy and equipped each room of my house with one (some chipped, some softmodded). But then HD took over, and the processors just couldn't hang... So I retired my clan of Microsoft hardware and picked up my first Boxee Box. It was fully functional right out of the box, and yes it has had its share of issues, but they seemed to always get worked out. I quickly started to prefer the Boxee layout to XBMC and still feel that way. Not to mention the RF/QWERTY remote (although back-lighting would have been nice). - Rii Mini works just fine for that.

Enough of the history rambling... I'd support this - especially since Boxee has turned its back from the Box, and moved on to a lesser device. I have no intention on picking up a BoxeeTV - the IR remote is the FIRST (of many) issues I have with it.