MHL hdmi/vga with OTG & charging cable build

Search This thread

flez1966

Jul 21, 2011
has anyone built an MHL with OTG & charging cable that works yet?

if not I have just received my fully pined 11pin to 6 pin adapter, a working mhl cable, and I'll go start and see how far I get, but if someone knows of one thats done to save the time etc..

what i'd like to know is the full pinout for all 11 pins?

not even found a diagram for this new connector yet showing pin number ordering!

flez1966

Jul 21, 2011
well the build has stalled for a few days, somehow something went wrong with the tv (psu) and it seems to have 'zapped' my mhl/hdmi adapter....

the adapter communicates with the phone, but i get green garbage on screen.

So to pass the time i took the 11pin micro USB plug apart...

heres how they get 11 pins into a 5 pin hole...

new%2520micro%2520usb.jpg

vizographic

Feb 19, 2008
Hey op thxs for info. Been wondering about that 11 pin setup myself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Jade Eyed Wolf

Nov 4, 2010
Arlington Virginia
well the build has stalled for a few days, somehow something went wrong with the tv (psu) and it seems to have 'zapped' my mhl/hdmi adapter....

So, considering USB is engineered as a hub design from ground up in the first place, do you think it would be possible to solder an OTG adapter to the 5 pins?

01jacksonb.

Sep 24, 2009
Wilmslow
Hopefully this may be of some help, I have also been trying to make one of these for the last few weeks.
So far, from purchasing this MHL - hdmi adapter, I have managed to map most of the pins, but am having difficulties getting USB OTG to work.

Charge, HDMI, and PC data connection work, but i still need to find the USB OTG pins for "smart dock" mode.
I assumed that this would work for USB OTG but it doesn't seem to work for me, it acts as USB Slave not Host (I.e. Connection to PC not HDD/Keyboard)

so far the pins i have identified:
(normal usb part)
Pin 1 - Vcc
Pin 2 - USB - (Slave)
Pin 3 - USB + (Slave)
Pin 4 - Sense (40.2K Ohm)
Pin 5 - Gnd

(extended USB Part)
Pin 6 - ? (Audio/USB host?)
Pin 7 - ? (Audio/USB host?)
Pin 8 - DP (MHL +)
Pin 9 - DN (MHL -)
Pin 10 - MHL ID (connected to ID Pin of MHL Adapter)
Pin 11 - Gnd

I will try and upload some images tomorrow, and a diagram of the plug.

Last edited:
Reactions: flez1966

scote

Mar 30, 2007
My 11pin mhl cable has a y piece with a usb on one side and hdmi plug on the other. No box like yours.
Do these cables have any components in them?
Is it worth me doing any testing with my cable, what actually activates otg? My son had a low end android tab and there was a menu option to change the usb mode, so how is it triggered on note 2, is it a signal, resistor, or just the presence of a peripheral?
There must be a way of spicing in a otg cable onto an mhl cable.
Smart docks wont be available in uk until march, but I would rather do it by myself with cables anyway.

01jacksonb.

Sep 24, 2009
Wilmslow
First of all, sorry i didnt get arount to uplading any images yesterday.
Im in the same boat as you, I didnt think I could get a smart dock, and didnt fancy paying £100 for something I should be able to make for £10. I have since found 2 uk shops that sell them for £60.

On my MHL adaper the socket is built into the body if the device, but it only supplies 5v to the device, no data pins are connected through it unfortunately.

Inside these adapters, there is a chip to convert MHL's 2 data cables into hdmi's ~11 data cables.

On the note2 the modes are activated by a resistor on the sense pin of the USB plug, (pin 4) For smartdock mode, 40.2k ohm resistor is used.

The main problem I am having is acessing the pins, as they are so small on the plug. Im waiting for some copper clad pcb so I can make a breakout board for the usb connector.

Sent from my GT-N7105

Reactions: Androssama

01jacksonb.

Sep 24, 2009
Wilmslow
Sorry i tried linking to the UK sellers in-case you are interested, but my post count is too low to do so.

www(Dot)clove(Dot)co(Dot)uk/samsung-galaxy-note-ii-smart-dock

www(Dot)mobilefun(Dot)co(Dot)uk/samsung-galaxy-note-2-s3-smart-dock-edd-s20eweg-p36945.htm?referer=FR_PROD-PR3&utm_source=google%2Bproducts&utm_medium=comparison&utm_campaign=google%2Bproducts

flez1966

Jul 21, 2011
OK I have now opened another 5 to 11pin connector, this is the moulded plastic variety...

This is an image of what mine looks like, but i did not use this supplier, i just bought on ebay...

sku_182267_1.jpg

..and inside

20130205_133455.jpg

20130205_133413.jpg

flez1966

Jul 21, 2011
(extended USB Part)
Pin 6 - Gnd
Pin 7 - MHL ID (connected to ID Pin of MHL Adapter)
Pin 8 - DN (MHL -)
Pin 9 - DP (MHL +)
Pin 10 - ? (Audio/USB host?)
Pin 11 - ? (Audio/USB host?)

How did you work out which is pin 6? Was it marked etc?

01jacksonb.

Sep 24, 2009
Wilmslow

No markings on mine, I just started numbering them as I noted them down (left to right), however i didn't follow standard pin mapping, and think i have noted them in reverse order :(

The following should be standard numbering. (if Samsung release a spec or diagram of the plug :p )
Here are the images as promised.
sta60041.jpg

sta60045.jpg

sta60046.jpg

microusb.png

Smart dock pins:
Pin 1 - Vcc
Pin 2 - USB - (Slave)
Pin 3 - USB + (Slave)
Pin 4 - ID/Sense (40.2K Ohm)
Pin 5 - Gnd
Pin 8 - DP (MHL +)
Pin 9 - DN (MHL -)
Pin 11 - Gnd

---------- Post added 6th February 2013 at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was 5th February 2013 at 11:42 PM ----------

After watching a review of the smart dock, in which the S3 is said that USB doesn't work in dock mode, and along with the Note 2 working with PC Docking. I can only assume that the data has to be on the pins 6 & 7.
The next step is identifying the polarity of them, luckily D+ & D- both can take 3.3v (used as ID for USB 1.0 or 1.1) nothing should be damaged if the polarity is incorrect.

The next issue is connecting all of the wires to the USB pins at once. I can't connect all of the wires to the 0.3mm pins, and expect them to not come loose or short. The only solution that i can think of is to etch a breakout PCB for it. Hopefully it will arrive soon, Unfortunately my first board was way too thick for the plug.

Reactions: Androssama

flez1966

Jul 21, 2011
Your attempts look as elegant as mine..

I was trying with a single strand of bare wire, if it goes down fine then it can be insulated with coloured mail varnish.

That way each stand kind of ends if like the varnish covered wire used in transformers or some of those cheap $2 headphones

flez1966

Jul 21, 2011
if you look at 'spare' plugs sold on ebay for the s3, they have the pins setout very odd, for single sided board mounting

CBLK001.jpg

01jacksonb.

Sep 24, 2009
Wilmslow
Normally when i need to connect to small pins like these, I use Kynar wire, as it is so small and single core. However when usb host didnt work, i assumed that it was because the cable had to much noise, so i changed to normal USB cable (which also didn't work)

The socket is interesting, it looks like they surface mount it, unlike the plug that i have, which mounts on the side of the circuit.
Have you seen anybody selling the plugs cheap, and in low quantities? the only place i can find is alibaba, and i have to buy a few hundred :(

Excuse the rough edges, I through together a breakout board for the plug, so that i can easily access all of the pins, and secure the cable in place.
I made a quick sketch on a PCB and etched it. Not quite figured out how to print them yet.
sta60048n.jpg

sta60051d.jpg

sta60053.jpg

sta60054.jpg

---------- Post added 7th February 2013 at 12:36 AM ---------- Previous post was 6th February 2013 at 11:53 PM ----------

I just powered it up, and gave pins 6 & 7 a try with a memory stick connected, unfortunately there was no response from android, it also didn't see a mouse.
not sure why it doesn't detect, maybe there is too much interference, or the pins just aren't usb.

anyway, i will dig out my osciloscope, and start testing the pins to see what data they are trying to send.

I may end up having to purchase the smart dock to see what makes it tick.

Last edited:
Reactions: ac16313

teshgnex

Apr 12, 2012
subscribed to this thread and will chime in when I can offer some insight - my smart dock is due to arrive (tomorrow?)

I'll hopefully be taking it apart to test around for what wire is getting what resistance etc...

one thing I'll need to do is make a usb-micro-male end into a usb-a-male end so I can test the dock w/my lapdock (it's been the goal for me on this hdmi/otg/charging build)

01jacksonb.

Sep 24, 2009
Wilmslow
Thats the exact same reason that I have been trying to make one.
I have the lapdock ready and waiting to be modified. If you need any info on the lapdock's USB and HDMI connections, have a quick look at "RaspberryPi Lapdock"

I hope that you get your smartdock soon. Im Looking forward to your input.

Sent from my GT-N7105.

Last edited:

01jacksonb.

Sep 24, 2009
Wilmslow
i'd check for shorts.

Doesn't USB OTG need a pin shorted to ground? or 100 ohms etc.

USB OTG uses a short between pin 4 & 5. The resistance between these pins "informs" the phone about which accessory is connected.
USB OTG mode, will only activate the USB host function, charge and HDMI are disabled in this mode.
Desk Dock mode, enables HDMI, and Charge, but not USB OTG
Smart Dock mode, enables HDMI, charge, and USB OTG.

Here is a list of (Samsung Galaxy S) resistor values I saved on my computer, I believe I found them on this forum, by "TheBeano"
(list is edited to show more relevant items to the Note 2)

Code:
RID_USB_OTG_MODE,		GND 		USB OTG Mode
RID_RESERVED_1,			28.7K		Reserved Accessory #1
RID_RESERVED_2,			34K 		Reserved Accessory #2
RID_RESERVED_3,			40.2K		Reserved Accessory #3 (Smart Dock Mode)
RID_RESERVED_4,			49.9K		Reserved Accessory #4
RID_RESERVED_5,			64.9K		Reserved Accessory #5
RID_AUD_DEV_TY_2,		80.07K		Audio Device Type 2
RID_PHONE_PWD_DEV,		102K		Phone Powered Device
RID_TTY_CONVERTER,		121K		TTY Converter
RID_UART_CABLE,			150K		UART Cable
RID_CEA936A_TY_1,		200K		CEA936A Type-1 Charger(1)
RID_FM_BOOT_OFF_USB,		255K		Factory Mode Boot OFF-USB
RID_FM_BOOT_ON_USB,		301K		Factory Mode Boot ON-USB
RID_AUD_VDO_CABLE,		1K or 365K	Audio/Video Cable (HDMI/Desk mode/MHL)
RID_CEA936A_TY_2,		442K		CEA936A Type-2 Charger(1)
RID_FM_BOOT_OFF_UART,		523K		Factory Mode Boot OFF-UART
Car mode,			619K		Car mode
RID_AUD_DEV_TY_1_REMOTE,	1000.07K	Audio Device Type 1 with Remote(1)
RID_AUD_DEV_TY_1_SEND,		1002K		Audio Device Type 1 / Only Send-End(2)
RID_USB_MODE,			Open		USB Mode, Dedicated Charger or Accessory Detach

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Well I have the mhl/hdmi cable now, let the hacking commence...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fhBikVZXPg
    Hopefully this may be of some help, I have also been trying to make one of these for the last few weeks.
    So far, from purchasing this MHL - hdmi adapter, I have managed to map most of the pins, but am having difficulties getting USB OTG to work.

Charge, HDMI, and PC data connection work, but i still need to find the USB OTG pins for "smart dock" mode.
    I assumed that this would work for USB OTG but it doesn't seem to work for me, it acts as USB Slave not Host (I.e. Connection to PC not HDD/Keyboard)

so far the pins i have identified:
    (normal usb part)
    Pin 1 - Vcc
    Pin 2 - USB - (Slave)
    Pin 3 - USB + (Slave)
    Pin 4 - Sense (40.2K Ohm)
    Pin 5 - Gnd

(extended USB Part)
    Pin 8 - DP (MHL +)
    Pin 9 - DN (MHL -)
    Pin 11 - Gnd

First of all, sorry i didnt get arount to uplading any images yesterday.
    Im in the same boat as you, I didnt think I could get a smart dock, and didnt fancy paying £100 for something I should be able to make for £10. I have since found 2 uk shops that sell them for £60.

On my MHL adaper the socket is built into the body if the device, but it only supplies 5v to the device, no data pins are connected through it unfortunately.

Inside these adapters, there is a chip to convert MHL's 2 data cables into hdmi's ~11 data cables.

On the note2 the modes are activated by a resistor on the sense pin of the USB plug, (pin 4) For smartdock mode, 40.2k ohm resistor is used.

The main problem I am having is acessing the pins, as they are so small on the plug. Im waiting for some copper clad pcb so I can make a breakout board for the usb connector.

Sent from my GT-N7105

No markings on mine, I just started numbering them as I noted them down (left to right), however i didn't follow standard pin mapping, and think i have noted them in reverse order :(

The following should be standard numbering. (if Samsung release a spec or diagram of the plug :p )
    Here are the images as promised.
    sta60041.jpg

sta60045.jpg

sta60046.jpg

microusb.png

Smart dock pins:
    Pin 1 - Vcc
    Pin 2 - USB - (Slave)
    Pin 3 - USB + (Slave)
    Pin 4 - ID/Sense (40.2K Ohm)
    Pin 5 - Gnd
    Pin 8 - DP (MHL +)
    Pin 9 - DN (MHL -)
    Pin 11 - Gnd

---------- Post added 6th February 2013 at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was 5th February 2013 at 11:42 PM ----------

After watching a review of the smart dock, in which the S3 is said that USB doesn't work in dock mode, and along with the Note 2 working with PC Docking. I can only assume that the data has to be on the pins 6 & 7.
    The next step is identifying the polarity of them, luckily D+ & D- both can take 3.3v (used as ID for USB 1.0 or 1.1) nothing should be damaged if the polarity is incorrect.

The next issue is connecting all of the wires to the USB pins at once. I can't connect all of the wires to the 0.3mm pins, and expect them to not come loose or short. The only solution that i can think of is to etch a breakout PCB for it. Hopefully it will arrive soon, Unfortunately my first board was way too thick for the plug.