AT&T JB on T-Mobile network

Search This thread

windroidHD

Dec 20, 2010
simplemobdev.blogspot.com
Strating a new topic to figure out which radio works better on T-Mobile for AT&T JB update.

Before JB update, like several other people on this forum, I have been using i717 on T-Mobile network . 4G has been working fine with GT-N7005-IMM76D-DXLJ2 Rom and UVLG3modemfori717_gt-n7005amss radio.

1. UVLG3 modem with GT7005 amss gives no signal.
2. UVLG3 modem with JB amss gives no signal.
3. Stock radio and amss in JB update only connects to Edge. (unless you are in area where T-Mobile has 3g on 1900?)
4. Blaze ICS modem connects to 4g but signal bars are not shown in status bar.

For the best modem so far, check the below post...
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=41052527

If anybody else tried any other combinations, please post your experience in this thread.

Thanks.

Last edited:

zivan56

Jun 14, 2010
Vancouver, BC
I made my own combo for WIND in Canada (confirmed to work on T-Mobile with much higher speeds). It's really slow (about 1 Mbps down and 50 kbps up) but at least it works (good voice/signal strength and somewhat usable data)
It's the SGH-T989D (Telus Galaxy S II X) latest modem (TLMC4) and AMSS from the old Blaze modem posted around this forum. Just flash it with CWM.

http://speedy.sh/uyHBp/SGH-T989D-TLMC4-amss-from-blaze.zip

Steps:
1. Flash in CWM
2. On reboot, do a network scan
3. Open dialer, dial *#2263# and select WCDMA Prefs -> WCDMA 1700
4. Do network scan again, WIND (or whatever your AWS provider is) should appear. Select it and it should register.
5. You can multi task back to the service mode and go back and select "[1] Automatic" to use all bands again.

No responsibility if it bricks your phone, it works on my SGH-i717R without issues

OT: I also tried SGH-T989D_TLMC4_radio.zip and it works on Bell/Telus/Rogers without any mods. However, trying any T989 combos never really worked (some did, but data kept dropping).

Last edited:

crazeco

Oct 8, 2011
Strating a new topic to figure out which radio works better on T-Mobile for AT&T JB update.

Before JB update, like several other people on this forum, I have been using i717 on T-Mobile network . 4G has been working fine with GT-N7005-IMM76D-DXLJ2 Rom and UVLG3modemfori717_gt-n7005amss radio.

3. Stock radio and amss in JB update only connects to Edge. (unless you are in area where T-Mobile has 4g on 1900?)
4. Blaze ICS mpdem connects to 4g but signal bars are not shown in status bar.

If anybody else tried any other combinations, please post your experience in this thread.

Thanks.

Sent from here.

This is an important thread for this forum. I'm in the same situation, utilizing the AT&T rom on an AT&T device, and trying to use it on T-Mobile.

My experience has been strange. I am using the stock firmware radio with the AT&T JB update, and I seem to connect to 4G randomly on T-Mobile, switching between UMTS:3 and HSPAP15. I am usually on Edge more often than "4G". I don't have LTE in my area, and "3G" on 1900 doesn't work on my Wife's Iphone.

I tried the UVLG3 Modem for i717, and got no signal at all.

I haven't tried the Blaze modem. What I want to know, is what is the experience with Blaze when you look at system status? UMTS:3? HSPAP?

zivan56

Jun 14, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Nothing strange about that, it is in UMTS when data is idle, anything else is when data is active.

You only get 3G on T-Mobile if its a "re-farmed" 1900 MHz region, where they moved 3G from AWS to 1900 MHz. If you go outside your zone you will only have 2G.

Reactions: ericfinishh

crazeco

Oct 8, 2011
Nothing strange about that, it is in UMTS when data is idle, anything else is when data is active.

You only get 3G on T-Mobile if its a "re-farmed" 1900 MHz region, where they moved 3G from AWS to 1900 MHz. If you go outside your zone you will only have 2G.

What is HSPAP:15 considered? HSPA 15Mbps? Is that at 1700MHz or 1900Mhz?

zivan56

Jun 14, 2010
Vancouver, BC
What is HSPAP:15 considered? HSPA 15Mbps? Is that at 1700MHz or 1900Mhz?

You would have to go to field test mode to find out, Android does not have such details. Dial *#0011# and find at the very top "RRC: .. BandX," where X is a number. Is it 4 (AWS) or 2 (1900Mhz)?
There may be an item (radio dependant) called DC_HSPA to indicate whether its dual cell HSPA(+). Post a screenshot and I can check it for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mervingio

Mervingio

Mar 28, 2011
Elysium
OnePlus 7 Pro
I made my own combo for WIND in Canada. It's really slow (about 1 Mbps down and 50 kbps up) but at least it works (good voice/signal strength and somewhat usable data)
It's the Blaze 4G latest modem (T769-UVMB1) and AMSS from the old Blaze modem posted around this forum. Just flash it with CWM.

http://www.speedyshare.com/YTNEb/T769-UVMB1-amss-from-blaze.zip

Steps:
1. Flash in CWM
2. On reboot, do a network scan
3. Open dialer, dial *#2263# and select WCDMA Prefs -> WCDMA 1700
4. Do network scan again, WIND (or whatever your AWS provider is) should appear. Select it and it should register.
5. You can multi task back to the service mode and go back and select

No responsibility if it bricks your phone, it works on my SGH-i717R without issues

OT: I also tried SGH-T989D_TLMC4_radio.zip and it works on Bell/Telus/Rogers without any mods. However, trying any T989 combos never really worked (some did, but data kept dropping).

With the T989D_TLMC4_radio i got the most sickiest DL ever on CM 10.1 but cant make calls only data and text did you think can modify to work on TMO.

BTW right now o using Telus TELL4 modem and work amazing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

zivan56

Jun 14, 2010
Vancouver, BC
With the T989D_TLMC4_radio i got the most sickiest DL ever on CM 10.1 but cant make calls only data and text did you think can modify to work on TMO.

BTW right now o using Telus TELL4 modem and work amazing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Hmm, can you try this. I've tested it a bit on WIND and data/voice works...the data is slighly more stable/faster (still around 1.5 Mbps/50 Kbps for me)

IT works for me on WIND, so it should work on T-Mobile. Same steps as in my previous post above to get it to see AWS carriers. If your T-Mobile service is 1900 MHz, it may just work without any of those steps.
Btw, for some reason it only sees WIND (the modem is non WIND specific) and no other AWS carriers (i.e Mobilicity) when set to WCDMA 1700. No idea why.

windroidHD

Dec 20, 2010
simplemobdev.blogspot.com
I
Hmm, can you try this. I've tested it a bit on WIND and data/voice works...the data is slighly more stable/faster (still around 1.5 Mbps/50 Kbps for me)

IT works for me on WIND, so it should work on T-Mobile. Same steps as in my previous post above to get it to see AWS carriers. If your T-Mobile service is 1900 MHz, it may just work without any of those steps.
Btw, for some reason it only sees WIND (the modem is non WIND specific) and no other AWS carriers (i.e Mobilicity) when set to WCDMA 1700. No idea why.

Tried it, signal strength went from 2 bars with stock modem to 4 bars, status shows UMTS3 when idle and switches to HSPAP:15 briefly.

Speed test
outside the house 7000kbps/1000kbps
Inside the house 1650kbps/66kbps

*#0011# shows rrc band 4, previously it was band 2.

*#2263# doesn't shows any item with * infront, previously automatic had * infront of it.

Tried setting wcdma to 1700 and saw the same performance, rrc band4 and switching between umts3 and hspap:15.

Havn't tested call quality but this has been the best modem so far.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

Mervingio

Mar 28, 2011
Elysium
OnePlus 7 Pro

not sure why but with this ROM (jelly bean) i can lock DC-HSPA8+ and damn it go fast!!!!

this pics are with your modem i will test later today when i go to the mall now works perfect!

Thanks for the help

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-05-04-23-53-18.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-05-04-23-53-18.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 621
  • Screenshot_2013-05-04-23-57-37.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-05-04-23-57-37.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 609
  • Screenshot_2013-05-04-22-16-52.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-05-04-22-16-52.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 614

crazeco

Oct 8, 2011
You would have to go to field test mode to find out, Android does not have such details. Dial *#0011# and find at the very top "RRC: .. BandX," where X is a number. Is it 4 (AWS) or 2 (1900Mhz)?
There may be an item (radio dependant) called DC_HSPA to indicate whether its dual cell HSPA(+). Post a screenshot and I can check it for you.

I'm now using the Blaze radios posted by Zivan in the link above. I'm getting Band 4 CPCH and FCPH and DCH. Averaging around 3-6Mbps down and 300Kbps up.

shayneflashindaily

Sep 15, 2012
Hendersonville NC
Question ?.........I picked wcdma 1700 and I'm getting crazy good speeds ....9down 2up..sometimes better What is safe cpu temps? Cause I think it may be heating up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda app-developers app

zivan56

Jun 14, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Wow, good to hear folks...I'm getting rather terrible speeds on WIND. But the phone works, I did a bunch of calling/texting/data usage and its been stable for over a day.

shayneflashindaily

Sep 15, 2012
Hendersonville NC
Well I had to reflash for some reason it was picking up excellent speeds then poof gone .. tried changing back to 1900... nothing .. so I reflashed and just picked automatic

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

3. Stock radio and amss in JB update only connects to Edge. (unless you are in area where T-Mobile has 3g on 1900?)
    4. Blaze ICS modem connects to 4g but signal bars are not shown in status bar.

For the best modem so far, check the below post...
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=41052527

Thanks.
    Old thread, but as someone who will be jumping from AT&T to T-Mobile in a few days, I had a hell of a time finding the SGH-T989D-TLMC4-amss-from-blaze file, so I figured I'd upload a working link for any future people like myself.

http://d-h.st/Fp0
    I've been using straight talk since the beginning of the year. For $50 per month I, I'm saving over $20 versus the barebones ATT plan I previously had. With straight talk, I started off with an iphone 4 (on ATT), then switched to a samsung captivate (on ATT), and recently upgraded to this note (on TMO). I was planning on using it with ATT, but straight talk no longer sells ATT sim cards. All in all, I can't complain with the TMO service in the area I'm at. Data speed is much better than I ever saw with either of my other phones.
    Straight talk now carries att version sims again. Check their website now. Not sure if anyone chimed in. Just happened a few days ago after 6 months.
    Do you have a link to this latest radio?
    Why yes I do... :D
    http://d-h.st/Qbe
    Here are my findings on the modems mentioned here:

All the testing was done at an area where I get 2G (Edge) only because T-Mobile has not refarmed this area yet. However, there is T-Mobile 3G-4G (not sure of LTE) and I know that because I would get those speeds with my Nexus S. So, theoratically, if these radios changed the bands of the phone to 850 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100, I would be able to grab T-Mobile's 3G-4G speeds.
    • UVLG3modemfori717_gt-n7005amss: This one was utterly useless. Although, it did register as 4G but in practice 2G.:p
    • T769-UVMB1-amss-from-blaze: This one I got good results. Download speeds were about 1.8Mbps but upload speeds were horrible :eek: about 30 - 50Kbps. I don't think they were that bad when I had the Nexus S. The Download speeds were also a bit erratic.
    At the end I went back to stock radio UCMD3. I likeded the download speeds of the UVMB1 modem but I need at least 100Kbps on the upload speed which I can still get on 2G. Now, all I can hope for is for T-Mobile to keep refarming. Then what radio I have becomes irrelevant. Unless, of course some one here releases a new radio.

I failed to mention that I tested both radios in CM10 and JB Telus with same results.