[APP][REWRITE][2.1+] Fine Volume ControlV2, 100 different volume levels

Search This thread

richardop

Feb 15, 2011
Major rewrite - no longer uses the earpiece speaker
  • With the new app, you get 100 different volume levels from silent to full volume.
  • Works on Media/Alarm/Ringer & Notification/System (in-call excluded)
  • Still has the automatic overlay that appears when changing volume (ROM dependent) but also has a regular volume control app
  • More customisation
  • For those people using ROMs that don't support the automatic popup, there is a secondary launcher icon that shows the media volume dial for a few seconds.

48 Hour Trial: https://market.android.com/details?id=opotech.finevolumev2

Unlocker: https://market.android.com/details?id=opotech.finevolume.unlocker

Uninstall (or at least disable) the old app before using the new one

The old version of the app is now deprecated, but the unlocker will work with the old and new version. (you get both versions of the app if you buy the unlocker)

Deprecated
Fine Volume Control

I've just released a new app that enhances the standard media volume dialog by adding 2 functions:
  • A fancy volume dial (complete with glow) to use instead of repeatedly pressing the volume buttons
  • A finer volume setting that effectively lets you go below 1 bar of volume by redirecting sound to the earpiece speaker when you drop below a threshold marked on the slider.

Free version: https://market.android.com/details?id=opotech.finevolume

Full version: https://market.android.com/details?id=opotech.finevolume.unlocker includes more colours, dialog styles, adjustable dial sensitivity, size, toggle button pulse and removal of ads.

Let me know what you think. :)

Thanks!

Last edited:

Reeonimus

Jul 18, 2010
Calgary
Great Idea. I just tried the free version and am having a couple problems. There is no visual indication when turning the "dial". Some animation with min and max gauges would be nice.

My volume bar now doesn't increase or decrease when changing volume. No matter what the volume bar is always 3/4 full. I can see the yellow indicator line but it means nothing when the bar doesn't move.

asp2010

Oct 9, 2010
This is a great idea. I definitely like being able to control the volume without pressing the hardware buttons, because mine are a bit worn down.

Unfortunately, your app doesn't work on my HTC Desire (using Gingerbread Sense). When I press either volume button, the normal Volume pop-up appears. When you update the app, I will try it again :)

Good luck and keep up the great work!

richardop

Feb 15, 2011
Looks nice, but force closes on MIUI, but maybe that's to be expected.

What version of android is MIUI? I've had a report of FC on a 3.2 device and it needs fixing for that. Unless MIUI has a different volume dialog layout, it should work. Can you post here or submit a stacktrace? Thanks!

Great Idea. I just tried the free version and am having a couple problems. There is no visual indication when turning the "dial". Some animation with min and max gauges would be nice.

My volume bar now doesn't increase or decrease when changing volume. No matter what the volume bar is always 3/4 full. I can see the yellow indicator line but it means nothing when the bar doesn't move.

There's a brushed texture to the dial that turns with it, maybe it's too faint. min/max could be added, good suggestion. What device/rom/version of android do you have?

This is a great idea. I definitely like being able to control the volume without pressing the hardware buttons, because mine are a bit worn down.

Unfortunately, your app doesn't work on my HTC Desire (using Gingerbread Sense). When I press either volume button, the normal Volume pop-up appears. When you update the app, I will try it again :)

Good luck and keep up the great work!

Are you sure it's in media volume context? Currently it only applies to media. Also, is that 2.2?

Cheers

Reeonimus

Jul 18, 2010
Calgary
There's a brushed texture to the dial that turns with it, maybe it's too faint. min/max could be added, good suggestion. What device/rom/version of android do you have?

Cheers

Hmm yeah it doesn't appear to move to me. I'm using an HTC Evo 3D 2.3.4 stock ROM rooted.

Again though, great idea for more fine control, I can't believe android doesn't have such a feature. Work the few kinks out and you have my support friend!

richardop

Feb 15, 2011
Hmm yeah it doesn't appear to move to me. I'm using an HTC Evo 3D 2.3.4 stock ROM rooted.

Again though, great idea for more fine control, I can't believe android doesn't have such a feature. Work the few kinks out and you have my support friend!

Does the volume level change and then redirect to the earpiece at all, so it's just that the UI is stuck?

Acer A500, Android 3.1, FC. Report sent.

I've coded a fix for that crash, thanks! The dialog won't match the honeycomb theme (for now at least).
Another thing, the finer volume function won't work on a device if it's lacking an earpiece speaker. You'll still be able to use the dial to control media volume, though.

I'll release an update soon.

Last edited:

richardop

Feb 15, 2011
Just released an update.

V1.1
• Fixed F/C on Honeycomb and some non-stock ROMs.
• Tidied up Preference Screen.

Last edited:

asp2010

Oct 9, 2010
Are you sure it's in media volume context? Currently it only applies to media. Also, is that 2.2?
Yes, it was the media volume I tried to change. I'm using Gingerbread 2.3.3. I will try the update and some other ROM versions when I get home in a couple of days :)

Sent using the XDA app

nobnut

Feb 27, 2010
Thanks Dev. Just saw this and bought the unlocker. Left a comment... the first :eek:

Come on people! Install this, it's great.

Sunblood

Sep 19, 2010
I like this idea an awful lot. Are there plans to extend functionality to other volume contexts like Ringer?

alexye

Aug 20, 2010
LA
Don't see much of a difference in sensitivity (free version) when it comes to the fine tuning. However, threshold idea is great! Should unlock some more stuff for the free version. Seems almost all the useful stuff is locked! This app needs some work, but ultimately, pretty smart idea.

nobnut

Feb 27, 2010
Don't see much of a difference in sensitivity (free version) when it comes to the fine tuning. However, threshold idea is great! Should unlock some more stuff for the free version. Seems almost all the useful stuff is locked! This app needs some work, but ultimately, pretty smart idea.

LOL

I've a better idea. Why doesn't the Dev unlock everything in the free version and then make a 'donate' version available on the Market? The difference being that the Dev donates to the person downloading... :rolleyes:

The idea is for people to buy this. You know, a bit of 'pay back' for all of the hours I am sure he put into it. If too much is unlocked then why would anyone bother?

Unbelievable.

EDIT: Congratulations on making the XDA News page :)

Last edited:

Mike The Menace

Sep 11, 2006
Cleveland
www.mikemillsjr.com
HTC EVO 3D with VirusRom (Senseless). The application works great, however, if the volume is at max and I press the volume up button, the FVC interface doesn't show. If I click the volume down button the menu will display. Would be great if the interface displayed either way, in case you needed to mute your phone in an instant, etc.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Major rewrite - no longer uses the earpiece speaker
    • With the new app, you get 100 different volume levels from silent to full volume.
    • Works on Media/Alarm/Ringer & Notification/System (in-call excluded)
    • Still has the automatic overlay that appears when changing volume (ROM dependent) but also has a regular volume control app
    • More customisation
    • For those people using ROMs that don't support the automatic popup, there is a secondary launcher icon that shows the media volume dial for a few seconds.

48 Hour Trial: https://market.android.com/details?id=opotech.finevolumev2

Unlocker: https://market.android.com/details?id=opotech.finevolume.unlocker

Uninstall (or at least disable) the old app before using the new one

The old version of the app is now deprecated, but the unlocker will work with the old and new version. (you get both versions of the app if you buy the unlocker)

Deprecated
    Fine Volume Control

I've just released a new app that enhances the standard media volume dialog by adding 2 functions:
    • A fancy volume dial (complete with glow) to use instead of repeatedly pressing the volume buttons
    • A finer volume setting that effectively lets you go below 1 bar of volume by redirecting sound to the earpiece speaker when you drop below a threshold marked on the slider.

Free version: https://market.android.com/details?id=opotech.finevolume

Full version: https://market.android.com/details?id=opotech.finevolume.unlocker includes more colours, dialog styles, adjustable dial sensitivity, size, toggle button pulse and removal of ads.

Let me know what you think. :)

Thanks!