My Galaxy Nexus goes crazy (battery/charging issue)

Search This thread

BroodjeBami

Apr 8, 2011
I also started having this problem and it's really annoying. I have ALL the problems mentioned above. Yesterday I couldn't charge, 3 days ago my screen kept turning on and other days other issues happened, all regarding the usb charging port/charging my Galaxy Nexus. Is there really no way to bring this issue in the media? Cause in my opinion this is a BIG issue.

Edit:
I think there's a chance that the problem could be software. Anyone having this problem running something higher than Android 4.0.2 (which I'm running)? If nobody is, then the problem could be well solved in Android 4.0.3 or higher and that will also explain why Google doesn't really find this issue a big priority.

Last edited:

d.brown

May 15, 2010
montreal
I'm on 4.0.3 an having to charge my battery with an external charger plus usb not working... Happy to use file expert and dropbox plus titanium to sync my backup to the clouds!
I'm sure it's a software issue, the phone is shutting down the usb port, maybe it's reading the wrong values, and as a failsafe mechanism...?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Premium HD app

prankmonkey

Aug 17, 2010
any news on possible causes and fixes to this?
its started happening to me recently. causing quick battery drain when i get to about 15% due to screen wakes :(

problem is intermittent for me
charging is fine atm

cugel

Dec 12, 2009
In my experience is a hardware problem. I've had the problem two month ago (4.0.1 Stock) and one week ago (4.0.3 AOKP) and, both times i solved the issue with the method described previously (basically applying soft pressure to raise the internal metal piece inside the microUSB connector). Please be careful as you could damage the connector or invalidate the product warranty

I think that the cause of the problem was a bad quality USB cable or disconnecting the cable with a quick movement, obviously the root cause is a low quality USB connector in GNexus.

loveact

Sep 22, 2010
Jakarta
Got this problem, too.

I want to exchange it, but can't transfer my app and data backups to my computer because it won't detect the phone.
Can't sync to cloud, either, because crappy operator costs.

yeah, our crappy operator..

damn, my GN is from hongkong and it won't be covered by the warranty..
i hope i won't have the same problem :(

Tweezydak1d

May 6, 2009
Sacramento, CA
I had the problem to and it pissed me off to where I bought a replacement USB port but then I used a toothpick to push the charging port up but not putting a lot of force on it but once I got the piece strait my phone has been fine haven't had the problem in over a month. But I also have the replacement part just in case.

Sent from my ム丹ㄥ丹メㄚ れモメ∪ち using xda permium

xJeganx

Jan 11, 2008
Clifton NJ
I was on franco #96 when I got this issue and updating to the latest #98 fixed everything for me. Although it didn't happen immediately when I flashed #96 so it could still be a lingering hardware issue.

palmcrash

Dec 27, 2011
NYC
Verizon Galaxy Nexus 4.0.4.

Since around the past week, I'd been also having the same charge/not-charging status issue regardless of whether data/power USB cable's connected, causing the screen to keep turning on & draining the battery.

Battery pull didn't fix it, but after clearing the Dalvik cache via ROM Manager, it's been fine for the past ~5 hours. Crossing my fingers...

[edit]
After 6 hours, the issue's back...

[re-edit]
Seemed to have been just a one-blip issue (split-second) right after I unplugged the cable. It's been fine for a day since the Dalvik cache clean. Crossing all 10 fingers...

[#$@% it]
It's back. Wiping Dalvik Cache doesn't solve it now.

Last edited:

danielvc

Feb 26, 2011
Utrecht
Verizon Galaxy Nexus 4.0.4.

Since around the past week, I'd been also having the same charge/not-charging status issue regardless of whether data/power USB cable's connected, causing the screen to keep turning on & draining the battery.

Battery pull didn't fix it, but after clearing the Dalvik cache via ROM Manager, it's been fine for the past ~5 hours. Crossing my fingers...

[edit]
After 6 hours, the issue's back...

I got the same weird battery-charging-idicator when it actually isn't charging. Phone went nuts. Tried everything: relocking, flashing stock, wipe battery-stats etc, but this helped. Getting normal battery-thingy for almost two days now, that's just great. Thanks!

Check above and see if that helps!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

chanchan305

Apr 3, 2011
same here

tried everything, problem went away for 3 days and now is back, phone charges ok, but phone keeps turning on and off

billyskip

Nov 12, 2010
Fernandina beach
I just left the Verizon Store. After a phone call the tech support, it was determined that it was a hardware issue. The Phone displays (charging) when not plugged in, and phone will not charge. Customer service is mailing me a new phone, should arrive in 4 days, and I am to return my current handset.

The verizon store is no longer selling the GNex anymore. I asked why and was told there were problems with the phones.

(SOLUTION) If you are having this issue, I suggest you head to your local VZW store and get a new one. I do not see a "patch" fix for this issue.. Its hardware.

JSY00

May 12, 2009
NOT a software problem

Guys, I had this happen to my phone within a week of owning it (a week after release). I almost returned it, but fixed the issue myself. the issue is with the charging terminals touching in the USB/Charging port. Get a flashlight and shine it directly into the port. You'll see the outer part of port is metal, and in the center is a 'tongue' that is also metal, these are the 'terminals'. In my case the tongue was very slightly touching the outer terminal - probably due to the times i carelessly shoved the charger into the port (sometimes upside down). This essentially bent the tongue downwards, and when the two terminals are in contact, the charging circuit is short circuited. I fixed this by taking a pin (though anything flat/thin could work) and pressed the tongue in the opposite direction. This centered the tongue, and by being careful when plugging in my charger, it's never happened since.

kampf

Jun 21, 2007
This started happening to me last weekend. I figured it may have something to do with being in Japan, on 50Hz power or something mundane, but having returned to 60Hz land the problem remains.

I had used my wife's Samsung Nexus S charger for one night instead of my GN unit, and that may have tweaked the center tongue of the USB port downwards. I've used a pushpin to pry up slightly on the connector with hopes that it's so simple.

Note, this is on a completely unmodified GSM Galaxy Nexus running 4.0.4 IMM76D with the 2000MAh Samsung battery.

lilfleck

Oct 12, 2010
What's weird to me is the fact that my phone works fine on two car chargers I have... it works fine on one USB cable I have. It does NOT work on two other USB cables that I use (wall). I was wondering if it was voltage related. It could be connection related... but the "tongue" doesn't appear to be bent towards the other side of the connectors. I will try to bend it slightly to see if I can center it perfectly.

EDIT: after reading more posts from people -- I am leaning towards a hardware issue. I think this is due to the connection the charger makes with the connector. I think it is cheap materials. I didn't have this issue with my Droid X. The car chargers I mentioned above have a super snug fit. Then again, so does one of my USB chargers. I will take a look at the connectors, bend them to normal, and clean with alcohol to see if that remedies it. If not, I will be heading to VZ for a refurb.

Last edited:

MistaBishi

Oct 21, 2011
Devonport
My Nexus always thinks its plugged into the charger, and flickers between causing it to have the screen on all day and kill the battery. I have tried all the suggestions in here, so I think it's time to return it. Cheers for making quality phones Samsung.

mattarth

Apr 24, 2012
This is the solution that worked for me

Guys, I had this happen to my phone within a week of owning it (a week after release). I almost returned it, but fixed the issue myself. the issue is with the charging terminals touching in the USB/Charging port. Get a flashlight and shine it directly into the port. You'll see the outer part of port is metal, and in the center is a 'tongue' that is also metal, these are the 'terminals'. In my case the tongue was very slightly touching the outer terminal - probably due to the times i carelessly shoved the charger into the port (sometimes upside down). This essentially bent the tongue downwards, and when the two terminals are in contact, the charging circuit is short circuited. I fixed this by taking a pin (though anything flat/thin could work) and pressed the tongue in the opposite direction. This centered the tongue, and by being careful when plugging in my charger, it's never happened since.

The above post from JSY00 worked for me straight away. I couldn't see the tongue touching the outer part, but despite that I still tried the fix. I pushed a toothpick into the port slightly in to lift the tongue away from its closest wall. I also cleaned out a bit of fluff from the port, but I don't think that will have helped much.

My phone now works as it used to, and doesn't say it's charging constantly :). Thank you JSY00! (I signed up here only to report that your method worked).

This solution was free (apart from 1 toothpick required) and saved me a week or two to wait for a repair, which many people have reported didn't make things better. A hardware problem often requires a hardware solution.

Last edited:

xternal

Jan 3, 2007
I have also had success just slightly bending the connection back. However I was still a little bit flaky, so I used compressed air to clean the port and then a little bit of electrical contact cleaner.
Been working like a charm since.

Reactions: mattarth

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NOT a software problem

Had the same issue. Went crazy trying to figure it out.

But it was a simple fix.

I took a thin knife and bent the little 4-pin plate in the USB port up by a millimeter. It was touching the bottom of the port causing a short-circuit and made the phone think it was plugged into a computer USB cable.

Havent had the issue since then, but then again I also stopped using my little USB dongle that caused the USB pins to bend down in the first place.
    Hi fellow Gnex users,

I also had the same issue and read a lot of tweaks, techniques, and workarounds not only here in xda but also in other sites.

and this is confirmed a hardware problem in the usb port, not software related.Trust me, Ive flashed a lot of ROMS like hell and it still happens.

But this worked for me.. Im not having the issue for a week now. Crossing my fingers it wont happen again.

Before I begin saying the solution, I noticed this problem started when I began using my Nexus 7 usb cable as my main charger both for my Gnex and Nex7, since it was convenient for me.

I already forgot who or where I read the statement, but I guess this user was also using a different cable rather than THE ORIGINAL CABLE PROVIDED FOR THE GALAXY NEXUS, and he/she managed to heal the problem over time by religiously using the official cable. I didnt believe it at first but when I double checked with my own eyes, the usb connector's "teeth" is slightly different from other cables, which is the reason why the official cable fits fully into my Gnex and the Nex7 cable was not fitting fully although it also works. Didnt notice it before but I think it damaged it a bit.

Here's what I did.

I used an office pin,
    PushPin.jpg

and pushed the tongue of the Gnex's usb port very lightly and slightly upward(towards glass) so it no longer touches the base which I believe is the cause of using a different cable. While doing this, I noticed my Gnex doing the phantom charge once again. After this I gently blew inside the port for any dust and used a toothpick with a small cloth dipped very lightly on isopropyl alcohol to gently clean it for any dust, Please take note to do this VERY GENTLY and make sure the cloth isnt fully wet by the alcohol, but enough to make the dust sink in the cloth. Fully check the bottom of the tongue if there is absolutely no point of contact within the base even dust.

After this, the problem still persists.. and I am forced to reinsert the battery and be lucky to have it charged truly when I needed it to be charged.

but in these days I used the official cable provided, the problem was slowly going away, and right now I have recorded that its been a week that absolutely no problem happened. It was charging normally, it was detected by usb charging and media connection as well and the phantom charge never happened. During sleep I only lose a few percentages which was normal.

I hope this helps to others, I am not technically speaking that my methods above will surely cure the issue but it worked for me. Hope it doesnt happen again.

PLEASE USE THE OFFICIAL CABLE PROVIDED BEFORE IT GETS TOO LATE!

Regards,
    noojster
    This is the solution that worked for me

The above post from JSY00 worked for me straight away. I couldn't see the tongue touching the outer part, but despite that I still tried the fix. I pushed a toothpick into the port slightly in to lift the tongue away from its closest wall. I also cleaned out a bit of fluff from the port, but I don't think that will have helped much.

My phone now works as it used to, and doesn't say it's charging constantly :). Thank you JSY00! (I signed up here only to report that your method worked).

This solution was free (apart from 1 toothpick required) and saved me a week or two to wait for a repair, which many people have reported didn't make things better. A hardware problem often requires a hardware solution.
    I have now ordered a new USB connector board to see if that fixes it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150713366355

Will report back.

Hey, strong work! You might diagnose this thing before Google does. Keep us posted.

I got this connector board today, and after replacing it the false positive charging indicator problem is fixed!

The installation was also quite simple to do, so if you don't want to send your phone to a service center you can buy this part and replace it yourself.