[Q] Differences between OEM non-OEM cables?

Search This thread

rogerscorner

Jul 19, 2007
I have bought 2 different (micro) USB 3.0 cables as spares to use away from home, but with these cables I am not getting the option to enable usb 3.0 mode.

The original (OEM) Samsung cable DOES allow USB 3.0 mode, on the same USB port on the PC.

This got me thinking WHY?

I'm wondering if maybe Samsung has done something out-of-spec with their OEM microusb cable to identify it as OEM, like an extra pin being shorted or something...

I've searched and searched and searched but I cannot seem to find any consensus for why non-OEM microusb 3.0b cables are not able to trigger USB 3.0 mode on the note 3.
All transfers only occur in 2.0 mode unless I swap to the OEM cable.

also: I *suspect* that this is also the reason that USB 3.0 OTG cables are not able to function in USB 3.0 mode
See this post concerning USB 3.0 OTG issues:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2599045

Does anyone have any thoughts or input?

Last edited:

rogerscorner

Jul 19, 2007
On top is the OEM cable,

the bottom two are non-OEM cables purchased from ebay. Both non-OEM cables are 3 ft, and build/thickness feels identical to OEM

I have bought 2 different (micro) USB 3.0 cables as spares to use away from home, but with these cables I am not getting the option to enable usb 3.0 mode.

This got me thinking about WHY?

I'm wondering if maybe Samsung has done something out-of-spec with their OEM microusb cable to identify it as OEM, like an extra pin being shorted or something...

I've searched and searched and searched but I cannot seem to find any consensus for why non-OEM microusb 3.0b cables are not able to trigger USB 3.0 mode on the note 3.

also: I *suspect* that this is also the reason that USB 3.0 OTG cables are not able to function in USB 3.0 mode
See this post concerning USB 3.0 OTG issues:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2599045

Does anyone have any thoughts or input?

Attachments

• 2014119154757-2.jpg
    2014119154757-2.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 197

rogerscorner

Jul 19, 2007

rogerscorner

Jul 19, 2007