The Offical how I hard bricked my E4GT thread

Search This thread

Zero Night

May 31, 2012
Under Your Bed
Somebody should make a sticky thread that warns people not to install the touch recovery from rom manager for this device. I notice everyone who hard bricked their device was by installing touch recovery through rom manager while using the leak ics roms or cm9

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Yeah most bricks happen with CWM Touch.

ReActiveDisorder

Apr 12, 2012
Oh I bricked my ET4G by........by.........No wait, Ive never bricked my sh** before. Lol.

4257422d-04c5-2caa.jpg

^^^What he said :rolleyes:

Reactions: tapatalk and Omar04

Disillusioned

Oct 8, 2008
Hard Bricked / Blue Led of Death

Was running Blu Kuban, and accidentally tried flashing AOKP, now the phone is completely bricked. JTAG failed stating cannot write to chip. Now the phone has no USB, no Boot Loader, only blue led of death.

What a waste..

Mattix724

Sep 26, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
OnePlus 8
I hate to say it but you're SOL with your brick. You can try contacting Samsung about repair service if you are still within the 1 year warranty.

I had a similar brick back in June, blue light special, no hope of fixing it myself. I did not attempt a JTAG since I don't have the necessary know how or the equipment.

I basically told them it got really hot and I saw a blue light. They will either replace the main board or send you a replacement if you are lucky like I was when they didn't have the parts in August.

Disillusioned

Oct 8, 2008
I have figured out by all the reading that eMMC chip gets locked thus does not allow writing any data over JTAG. Replacing the chip is not such an easy task more difficult is to source the chip. The same eMMC chip is used in Samsung Tab 7.7.

Samsung Level 1 support engineers are dumb enough not to even accept an international phone.

Disillusioned

Oct 8, 2008
No, the phone is not in US so cannot get it replaced / repaired by Samsung.

JTAG has failed over RISC as eMMC is locked up.

Disillusioned

Oct 8, 2008
Can you share some info on modified PIT? I tried fixing through JTAG but it failed stating eMMC is corrupt, in other words I was unable to write anything to the chip. How can I write PIT file in this situation?

I can save some hours of research with some headstart.

Dchibro

Jul 28, 2011
San Diego, CA
Can you share some info on modified PIT? I tried fixing through JTAG but it failed stating eMMC is corrupt, in other words I was unable to write anything to the chip. How can I write PIT file in this situation?

I can save some hours of research with some headstart.

There is a thread with the modified PIT file somewhere here on XDA. The modified PIT file basically avoids the damaged portion of the emmc chip, so you lose some storage space. Maybe someone can link it for you if you can't find it. I can't search it at the moment.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

garwynn

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 30, 2011
NE Ohio
www.extra-life.org
There is a thread with the modified PIT file somewhere here on XDA. The modified PIT file basically avoids the damaged portion of the emmc chip, so you lose some storage space. Maybe someone can link it for you if you can't find it. I can't search it at the moment.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

The thread is in the Note GT-N7000 General forum and was started by hg42. You'll need to be able to use Odin though to get this to work... if you can't get there yet please try a USB jig and see how that does.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    E4gt wasn't really brickable either until:

People saw ics test releases coming out for the intl gs2 and started flashing them getting the intl bootloader which rendered their usb port inoperable even though they could get intk odin dl mode.

Ics test releases started coming out for e4gt which ended up using a linux 3.0 kernel which has slightly changed how partitions are accesed. This coupled with a suggestion that people combine cwm touch with the new kernel caused the 2nd set of bricks.

Both these conditions didn't exist during tge og epic days you remember. There was far less confusion about the intl galaxy s and there was no 3.0 linux kernel with ics.
    Well since I just bricked my phone I decided to start this tread. I figured it would be helpful for people to read to keep them from bricking their phone by not following the same process of the unlucky few who have hard bricked their device.

I flashed the Rogue CM9 kernel through Mobile Odin Pro and while on the FB17 leak from Calk which is where I think I made my mistake. when I went to flash CM9 alpha 3.1 it got stuck at install for about 15 minutes before i decided to the battery which I knew was a HORRIBLE idea. When I tried to boot back up all I got was a blue light. My guess is that the phone didn't like that I had a AOSP Kernel while on a TW rom and got confused and froze because it didn't know what to do next. The good news it that sprint is ever so gracious to provide me with a new phone coming in the mail on Thursday since they don't have any in stock. I just told them I got a update and when it installed it wouldn't boot back up and I should hopefully be back in business with some CM9 yumminess later this week :D thank the cellular gods for insurance!

Some users are reporting that mobiletechvideos.com is somewhere you can send your phone too have it brought back from the dead.
    Oh I bricked my ET4G by........by.........No wait, Ive never bricked my sh** before. Lol.

4257422d-04c5-2caa.jpg

^^^What he said :rolleyes:

After I got the blue led of death, I took it into sprint and played dumb. (The guy from mobiletechvideos emailed me and said that he probably couldnt fix my phone) I told sprint that it dropped it the middle of an update, and wouldnt boot. Came back two hours later, and they said they tried to swap the screen. (Idiots) Left 5 minutes later with a brand new one. Social Engineering at its finest.
    Imo it is more productive to concentrate on providing solutions rather than ripping on each other.

It is hard to get down to the bottom of the issue with cwm touch fake flashed onto an ics linux 3.0 kernel when previously it had only been paired with a gb linux 2.6 kernel, especially when one is working blind and doesn't have the source for either.

I did notice the major/minor dev numbers changed for the /data partition between the ics 3.0 kernel and the gb 2.6 kernel while most of the other partitions stayed the same. That might explain why all the other partitions are fine and it is /data that is hosed. I would start there and see if there is any hard-coded partition info that wouldn't adjust.