[UPDATED 28-04-2009] TorchButton v1.5, using camera LED for flashlight

Search This thread

leary

Feb 25, 2008
Parkersburg
There is a problem with the 'bright' mode on the Alltel. If you don't experience the problem, it might be because you have a custom rom in which the HTCCamera1.dll is updated to what we all have.

The original problem was reported by leary. You can read it starting here. In short, the bright mode worked, but flashed instead of giving a constant bright light. It was fixed by changing that setting from 750 to 100.

I'm pretty sure it's just the archaic hardware on the titan. :p i hardly ever have to use bright mode, but it's nice to have it work.

fatpandas

Mar 30, 2009
PTT

has anyone had any luck with the PTT? i'm on the fuze and it'd be nice to have that button actually be useful. if anyone has figured out the tweaks to get that to work, please share. thanks

NetRipper

Feb 27, 2006
's-Gravendeel
www.netripper.nl
has anyone had any luck with the PTT? i'm on the fuze and it'd be nice to have that button actually be useful. if anyone has figured out the tweaks to get that to work, please share. thanks
The new version I posted has a PTT executable. If you have a Fuze you should be able to install TorchButton, go to Start -> Settings -> Buttons, and select the PTT (Hold) button and assign the program TorchButton PTT to it. After that, just hold your PTT button and while you hold it, the light should be on.

No other "tweaks" should be needed.

fatpandas

Mar 30, 2009
I'm using the stock rom for now and I don't have an PTT option under the Buttons tab. I'm pretty sure i can just stick it in through the registry for now, but if someones knows how I'd be able to get the option under Buttons, that'd be great.
Thanks.

psychomaniac189

Feb 27, 2009
Wisconsin
fatpandas: What do you have under the buttons tab? I have hTorch 3.2 and i just added it to the button setting and it works. Just look for hTorch. I mean you have to hold the button for 3 seconds to get the app to run but its the same concept correct?

fatpandas

Mar 30, 2009
under stock ROM, only button1 shows up under the Settings>buttons tab. not the PTT button. sure, i could set it to the button1, but i figured it'd be nice to have the PTT button do something useful.
I found the method using the short_PTT.lnk and long_PTT.lnk but that doesn't seem to work nicely with the torch. i created a shortcut to torchPTT and renamed it to long_PTT.lnk but it doesn't do anything. if i move the entire torchPTT.exe to the windows folder too, it will pop up with an error. not really sure what's going on.

NetRipper

Feb 27, 2006
's-Gravendeel
www.netripper.nl
under stock ROM, only button1 shows up under the Settings>buttons tab. not the PTT button. sure, i could set it to the button1, but i figured it'd be nice to have the PTT button do something useful.
I found the method using the short_PTT.lnk and long_PTT.lnk but that doesn't seem to work nicely with the torch. i created a shortcut to torchPTT and renamed it to long_PTT.lnk but it doesn't do anything. if i move the entire torchPTT.exe to the windows folder too, it will pop up with an error. not really sure what's going on.
If you copy the TorchButton_PTT.exe you also have to make a copy of the TorchButton.exe. That's because all logic is in TorchButton.exe, and TorchButton_PTT.exe is just a wrapper to call TorchButton.exe with a /ptt switch. The PTT.exe will search for TorchButton.exe in the same directory.

fatpandas

Mar 30, 2009
oh HO! figured it out. due to whatever makes long_PTT.lnk work in itself, we don't need the ptt.exe wrapper for this case. so, no need to copy any of the .exe's into the windows folder. just create a shortcut of Torchbutton.exe (not the PTT.exe) to the windows folder. rename it to long_PTT.lnk
and it'll work. hold to turn on. hold again to turn off.

thanks guys. my PTT button lives!

pyraxiate

Jun 24, 2007
Baltimore
The new version I posted has a PTT executable. If you have a Fuze you should be able to install TorchButton, go to Start -> Settings -> Buttons, and select the PTT (Hold) button and assign the program TorchButton PTT to it. After that, just hold your PTT button and while you hold it, the light should be on.

No other "tweaks" should be needed.

PTT still isnt working here. Im using the newest NRG ROM ( Energy 3.0 ).

Its no biggie though because I can program the Bright On executable to PTT and it will last for 60 seconds. Close enough to what i needed. Thanks much !!!

NetRipper

Feb 27, 2006
's-Gravendeel
www.netripper.nl
PTT still isnt working here. Im using the newest NRG ROM ( Energy 3.0 ).

Its no biggie though because I can program the Bright On executable to PTT and it will last for 60 seconds. Close enough to what i needed. Thanks much !!!
Can you try assigning the TorchButton PTT to the normal PTT button? Instead of PTT Hold. Then try to hold the PTT button anyway.

It works like when it starts up, it finds out what virtual keys are pressed and the light it turned on. When it finds one that's pressed, it monitors it until it is released. After that it turns off the light.

If it still doesn't work then maybe the PTT button is not registered as a regular 'virtual key' in winmo.

Btw you can change the 60 seconds in the registry. Check the readme for register keys.

ufriendxda

Mar 26, 2007
Help for HP iPAQ 61x

Hi! NetRipper,

I've sent you PM for asking help with your LED tool using HP iPAQ 61x. Could you try to modify your TorchButton for iPAQ 61x when you have time?

Thank you very much!

Attachments

• camera_mainstoneii.zip
    40.1 KB · Views: 17

NetRipper

Feb 27, 2006
's-Gravendeel
www.netripper.nl
Hi! NetRipper,

I've sent you PM for asking help with your LED tool using HP iPAQ 61x. Could you try to modify your TorchButton for iPAQ 61x when you have time?

Thank you very much!
I had already taken a look at it when you sent the PM, but it's too dissimilar from HTC's camera dll for me to work on it. Besides I don't have the devices, so I can't experiment on it.

Sorry I forgot to respond on your PM. I'm afraid I can't help you with it.

NetRipper

Feb 27, 2006
's-Gravendeel
www.netripper.nl
Quote from the first post:
The Bright mode is exactly the same as the Normal mode, with the only difference being that the LED is more bright. This mode is equal to the short moment when you make a photo with flashlight on. Note that this mode does stress the LED and should not be used for prolonged periods. I have used this up to a minute without problems.

I suppose that answers it :)

NetRipper

Feb 27, 2006
's-Gravendeel
www.netripper.nl
Thanks I just thought because of the prolonged life of "led lights" I could use it for long time, but I think Im not going to risk my phone.
Thanks again.
Well the specific reason would be that the normal LED mode was designed to be able to burn for longer periods of time (i.e. you can enable the flashlight in the camera application and leave it on for quite a while). However, the "bright" LED mode is not designed to be on very long, as it's only used for the "flash" when taking a picture.

When it's not designed to be on that long at that brightness, I assume the heat dissipation (despite a LED not generating much heat) is not specifically taken into account, so it's not designed for prolonged use. In other words, it'll shorten the lifespan of the LED more than it's designed to.

That's why the especially the bright feature is 'at your own risk' (although, obviously, the whole app is.. I don't want to deal with any claims :D).

mrwangkai

Feb 4, 2009
Hello NetRipper,

I'm a moderator over at CareAce.net where we talked about using TorchButton for Spb Mobile Shell 3 on the Samsung Omnia. We do have a user who left this comment. Do you mind getting back to us with some idea what might be causing the issue? And here is the post. Thanks!

"This doesn’t work on the Omnia, get an error “error loading HTCCaerera1.dll”"

NetRipper

Feb 27, 2006
's-Gravendeel
www.netripper.nl
TorchButton only works on devices that use the HTCCamera1.dll, which is used by the HTC camera application. I'm not sure if it's provided on the Omnia by default.

However, a quick google shows that someone created a 'middleware' HTCCamera1.dll in this thread over at modaco to allow TorchButton to work on the Omnia.

I've attached the HTCCamera1.dll which I took from the package on that site. Placing it in the TorchButton installation directory might do the trick. The wrapper was based on TorchButton v1.1, so not sure if it still works with v1.5. Although I can't remember any API changes.

Attachments

• HTCCamera1_Omnia_Wrapper.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 75