[Q] hard brick, now what?

Search This thread

jamcar

Aug 11, 2010
Orlando
ok this has already been said to be hard bricked. i tried the JTAG and it didnt work because of a damaged EMMC chip. but how does a EMMC chip get damaged??? could it of been from shipping it to texas (place where it got JTAGged)? what about sprint could i lie and get a refurbished one???

btw it was bricked by a flash, so how could it damage the EMMC chip????

thanks

i flashed cm9 with the el26 CWM repacked ( the one in the directions) and i still bricked...

Last edited:

Epix4G

Sep 14, 2011
phoenix
ok this has already been said to be hard bricked. i tried the JTAG and it didnt work because of a damaged EMMC chip. but how does a EMMC chip get damaged??? could it of been from shipping it to texas (place where it got JTAGged)? what about sprint could i lie and get a refurbished one???

btw it was bricked by a flash, so how could it damage the EMMC chip????

thanks

It was damaged when you formatted the partitions in cwm....only thing you can do is go to sprint and see if they replace it if not then ship it to Samsung and see if they will do it.....it was not damaged in shipping...it was damaged by u not reading and flashing the way devs have said
The emmc is not really damaged but the partitions are screwed up and no way to fix..
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

sniper

Jan 30, 2012
San Diego
What you do is post in the right section and then buy another god damn phone... I don't mean to be a **** but seriously, there have been sooo many bricking threads and warnings...

garwynn

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 30, 2011
NE Ohio
www.extra-life.org
I'll supplement the previous comments by this...

Once you get your new phone read up on flashing CM9 to avoid bricking it again. You can start with the sticky at the top of this thread.

hrffd

Oct 27, 2011
Lakeland
No. What you do is, go to Sprint, say you were playing a game, it froze, you pulled the battery and now all it has is a steady blue LED and you don't know why. Do not mention rooting, act like you don't know what rooting is. They can't check if it's rooted anymore without wiping all software so you're fine. If you have warranty, they'll have a replacement in 3 days.

Reactions: Dvin211

Esoteric68

Jun 9, 2011
Hellabama
No. What you do is, go to Sprint, say you were playing a game, it froze, you pulled the battery and now all it has is a steady blue LED and you don't know why. Do not mention rooting, act like you don't know what rooting is. They can't check if it's rooted anymore without wiping all software so you're fine. If you have warranty, they'll have a replacement in 3 days.
Yes, by all means let's advise people how to avoid taking personal responsibility for not following instructions and screwing up their phones in the process. That's a surefire way to keep future costs down.

PJBaska1

Jan 7, 2012
Bricked also, welcome to the club

I to have a bricked device. I now know that this issue resides from a defect that resides in the kernel i believe and really only happens when going from one ICS rom to another. I can't believe that this even happened in the first place. Since i first got the phone when it was released I've been flashing away completely fine up until I flashed the Slim rom and then bam, Nothing. I to sent it in for repair at mobiletechvideos.com but they were not able to fix that eMMC data issue. I've been dealing with this since May 2 now and still don't have a working phone. I"m going to be send back to Samsung for a possible repair but this issue is not because of anything that you did wrong. It's a know issue by know and hopefully in the near future other users won't have to deal this this same **** either. Sounds like a possible patch in the works to prevent this from happening at all on these phones running this particular processor.

Good luck to you

http://www.xda-developers.com/tag/att-samsung-galaxy-s-ii/

scarmon25

Feb 18, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Yes, by all means let's advise people how to avoid taking personal responsibility for not following instructions and screwing up their phones in the process. That's a surefire way to keep future costs down.

I'm sorry I have to say this. First let me say that I do believe in taking responsibility for my own actions. But the arguement that people going in a lying to sprint will raise cost is mute. If one was to stop and think about this. This is a company that sells you a plan that includes unlimited data and text and then charges you an additional fee for premium data. They have a whole team at the corporate level that their whole job is to figure out ways to raise cost and pitch it to customers in a way that they will still want to buy. I really do understand what you're saying but believe me. If everyone that ever bricked a phone was honest and paid out the ass for a new phone. Sprint and Samsung would still raise the cost of their services and producst. The only thing that people lying to sprint does is give them an excuse. Maybe I've been in the tech feild too long and am just jaded. Its not just sprint. Its all companies like that. How else do you think they afford to pay their CEO's and underlings 6-7figures aa year.

jamesey

Aug 1, 2006
I believe the issue lies with step 2 in the cm9 install directions.

I never wipe data or factory reset in CWM. Wipe cache or davlik is fine. I always use calks format all to wipe data.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Reactions: graffix31

JohnCorleone

Dec 19, 2010
Whittier,CA

I never wipe data or factory reset in CWM. Wipe cache or davlik is fine. I always use calks format all to wipe data.

I do the same except I use the modified format (no data) zip as well but sounds like its only a matter of time before I get bit for being lazy

DevalB

Jul 9, 2008
NYC

Completely off-topic but your signature is making me want to fire up the GBA emulator and play Pokemon Red/Blue again.

bsloanindy

Oct 25, 2007
Indianapolis
Is this issue only going to get worse when a true ICS recovery is developed? Will the new recoveries gracefully handle GB to ICS and the reverse? I hope so, or it sounds like we're in for a lot of madness. :eek:

I've always used Mobile Odin to get back to EL26 and I've never had a problem flip-flopping back and forth to roms. CM9 alpha 4 seems very refined to me and I'm going to stick with it for awhile until MIUI gets its battery issues resolved.

But I say if people want to play in the ICS pool, pay your $5 to get mobile odin pro, and only use the proper EL26 recovery for everything. It's so simple and that's a lot cheaper than a warranty replace or totally new phone.

im0rtalz

Mar 22, 2010
Boston

I believe the issue lies in user error. CM9 instructions are to odin el26cwm which has been safe to wipe/data since it's a Gingerbread kernel. I have installed cm9, aokp, codename, gummy, and mainly lots of nightly builds for cm9. Never had an issue and yes I followed the cm9 instructions. Somewhere along the way I believe people don't realize is that on this phone, every time you flash a rom, it comes with it's own kernel and recovery if there is one packaged. For now all instructions are pretty much the same across the board, for any flashing wiping etc it has to be done on a gingerbread recovery either el26 or el29.

Reactions: blackroseMD1

Esoteric68

Jun 9, 2011
Hellabama
I'm sorry I have to say this. First let me say that I do believe in taking responsibility for my own actions. But the arguement that people going in a lying to sprint will raise cost is mute. If one was to stop and think about this. This is a company that sells you a plan that includes unlimited data and text and then charges you an additional fee for premium data. They have a whole team at the corporate level that their whole job is to figure out ways to raise cost and pitch it to customers in a way that they will still want to buy. I really do understand what you're saying but believe me. If everyone that ever bricked a phone was honest and paid out the ass for a new phone. Sprint and Samsung would still raise the cost of their services and producst. The only thing that people lying to sprint does is give them an excuse. Maybe I've been in the tech feild too long and am just jaded. Its not just sprint. Its all companies like that. How else do you think they afford to pay their CEO's and underlings 6-7figures aa year.
You're right, of course the carrier(s) and manufacturer(s) are going to continue to raise costs because they are a business and that's how they stay in business but it's a little naive (or wishful thinking?) to assume these types of events do not affect cost.

So while I agree with you on that point (they raise prices regardless) I still stand firm on people lying to cover their asses when they screw up and ruin their phones.

I can't count the number of these threads I've seen, just since January, despite there being tons of warnings, detailed installation instructions, and other threads like this alerting people what not to do. It leaves me to wonder how many people have read, but not posted, and followed the dishonest advice to obtain new phones at little or no cost.

My argument is that we are enabling an irresponsible mindset that doesn't stop with broken phones. Pointless argument perhaps but just my personal feelings.

Dvin211

Nov 4, 2010
Baldwinsville,NY
You're right, of course the carrier(s) and manufacturer(s) are going to continue to raise costs because they are a business and that's how they stay in business but it's a little naive (or wishful thinking?) to assume these types of events do not affect cost.

So while I agree with you on that point (they raise prices regardless) I still stand firm on people lying to cover their asses when they screw up and ruin their phones.

I can't count the number of these threads I've seen, just since January, despite there being tons of warnings, detailed installation instructions, and other threads like this alerting people what not to do. It leaves me to wonder how many people have read, but not posted, and followed the dishonest advice to obtain new phones at little or no cost.

My argument is that we are enabling an irresponsible mindset that doesn't stop with broken phones. Pointless argument perhaps but just my personal feelings.

I do agree with some of your points, though I think your exaggerating the costs.
They are not going to give him a new phone just a refurbished one. The one he damaged is not beyond repair. It will be sent out and be refurbished for someone else.
I'm sure the cost of tep more then covers Sprint's costs.

Reactions: Somairotevoli

blackroseMD1

Jul 12, 2010
San Diego, CA
www.standupforkids.org
Stay away from CM9. C stands for catastrophic and m for meltdown, the nine is just a nine.

Pp.

" It is said that when He swims, dolphins appear "......... even if its in a pool!

Except that, if you actually follow instructions, it's not either of those things. I've flashed CM9 and AOKP literally dozens of times, following the instructions to the letter, and haven't had a single issue. All you have to do is make sure that when you do wipe data/factory reset, you're doing it on EL26 Stock CWM, not a Rogue repack or whatnot.

Last edited:

scarmon25

Feb 18, 2011
Knoxville, TN
People are going to do whatever they do no matter what is said. Some feel they've been screwed over by the carriers and OEM's and this is their opportunity to get back at em. Trust me if I had an opportunity toto stick Comcast with a nice shafting I would. In all honesty though. If you know how to read people. You can go into a store and tell the tech the truth and he will still swap it for 35 bucks or free if you have the TEP. You may have to go to a few stores and talk to the tech for a few minutes to feel em out. Hell I bricked mine and me and the tech talked for a few minutes about the issues happening wwith the phone and what caused it and he had no problem swapping it out. I paid the 35 bucks and was done with it. As I said. I agree with the taking responsibility cause lord knows this nation could use a morals lesson or two. But aether your honest or you lie there is going to be people that seal these bricks out for free phones. Whether its a nice tech doing a solid or a lying customer. Not to mention the thousands Samsung has probably already bricked looking into it. My grip isn't with telling people to be honest. Its with the arguement that alot of people seem to bring that them lying and that alone will be the reason for price hikes. I know that wasn't what was said here it was just one of those deals where it was the post that caused me to respond.

Take care.

Reactions: Dvin211

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Stay away from CM9. C stands for catastrophic and m for meltdown, the nine is just a nine.

Pp.

" It is said that when He swims, dolphins appear "......... even if its in a pool!
    What you do is post in the right section and then buy another god damn phone... I don't mean to be a **** but seriously, there have been sooo many bricking threads and warnings...