Duo camera issues.

Search This thread

dmystic1

Jun 24, 2007
Hemet
I keep getting a message about duo camera lenses being blocked. Does not happen in portrait mood but always in landscape mode it happens while I hold the phone by the very edges. I am inside my house could it be that there is not enough light?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Apr 1, 2014
Could there be dust or a fingerprint on one/both of the lenses?

Also if you're using a case, make sure that it isn't covering either lens as well.

dmystic1

Jun 24, 2007
Hemet
No case and I don't see anything on the lens. I guess it's just mine. Contacted HTC and they said it's an app interfering with the camera because when they had me boot the phone into safe mode, the problem does not occur. I don't have anything downloaded that's camera related.

droidrev71

Sep 18, 2010
Quad cities, Illinois
I keep getting a message about duo camera lenses being blocked. Does not happen in portrait mood but always in landscape mode it happens while I hold the phone by the very edges. I am inside my house could it be that there is not enough light?

By any chance does that happen when you block the sensor next to the front camera?

dmystic1

Jun 24, 2007
Hemet
Idk why would that matter taking a picture with the rear camera?

dmystic1

Jun 24, 2007
Hemet
Update***
The issue has not been happening lately. I didn't change anything. Anyway I didn't really buy the phone for the camera.

Evocm7

Oct 19, 2011
Bakersfield
I can cause the message to pop up in auto mode by getting the lens close enough to something where the top lens doesn't see the same thing as the main lens but I'm guessing you weren't very close to anything since you were in landscape mode.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

justin94

Oct 31, 2010
If anyone can figure out what app may be interfering, I'd be curious to know as I'm getting this error also. I also don't have any camera apps.

This. I've noticed myself when taking a picture and something is closer to the left side in landscape mode.

The whole reason behind this camera structure is for depth. That is why 1 lens is slightly recessed to the other. Its provides better distinction making it similar to the human eye. Yes, one eye is slightly recessed to the other, allowing this to occur. We are smarter and faster at processing that information better than the phone can, so essentially, if something appears closer to the left lens, it will error out.

Fix, cover both lenses, move camera, uncover.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using xda app-developers app

adskee

Aug 27, 2012
Duo Camera Blocked

I am also having this issue. My original M8 camera worked fine but I swapped it due to an unrelated issue. Now, whenever I load the camera app, it says "Duo Camera Blocked". Obviously there is nothing in the way and I have no third party camera apps installed. In fact I have the exact same setup as the previous phone which didn't have an issue.

I'm starting to think that this is a hardware issue and will need replacing. Is anyone else seeing this problem?

Bayramm

May 3, 2014
duo camera is blocked :mad:

First sorry for my bad english,
I got the same problem..When i open my camera app it says '' Duo camera is blocked blabalblaa '' even i ddnt cover the duo camera with my fingers..I sent it to Technical service to change with new one and im still waiting the results from service..And i think this problem will be a chronical problem like what happen to m7 ( pink camera ) last year..

Men noemt m O

Mar 16, 2011
I just got my M8 today, played with it for a couple of hours before unlocking the bootloader. Restored titanium backup after unlocking, everything was fine until I opened the camera. I also keep getting the "duo camera blocked" warning, I tried taking pictures for an hour straight but the warning persists and I can't use U-focus or any other duo feature on every picture I take.

I'm on stock ROM and recovery and unrooted. Tried to restoring factory settings, no success. Just updated to the newest firmware (1.54.401.10) via OTA but still no working duo camera.

Should I sent it back for repairs (with relocked bootloader) or has someone found a solution for this problem?

Reactions: Purplee

dmystic1

Jun 24, 2007
Hemet
Hey I started the thread, but I can not explain how my issue as just gone away. But I think I stated I don't use the camera that much but have recently been using it without issue. Strange. When in doubt I would just exchange if that's an option for you.

zenisnotchosen

Jul 19, 2008
Dayton, OH
I know this is probably very obvious, but make sure your finger isn't covering the Duo camera at all. I've had that message a couple times and it was due to my finger blocking it. You won't see it on the screen.

Men noemt m O

Mar 16, 2011
I'm definitely not blocking the second camera. I tried taking pictures in portrait and landscape, inside and outside, with every possible grip, there is no dirt or dust on the lenses, it just doesn't work..

I just got on the phone with customer support, they advised me to sent it back for repairs.

After calling I just noticed something that might explain what's wrong with my phone. If I look very closely at the second camera lens, it seems like it's tilted sideways a couple degrees. I attached a photo taken through a mirror (I don't have another camera at the moment). Can someone confirm that it's not supposed to be this way?

Attachments

• M8.jpg
    M8.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 1,535

zenisnotchosen

Jul 19, 2008
Dayton, OH
Its hard to tell in the pic, but to me it looks like the Duo is aimed slightly up. Try taking the pic a bit farther back from the mirror and without the case. Also I've found it's very sensitive to fingerprints causing slightly blurry photos, and you have one on the main lens. See if you can get a slightly clearer one.

Last edited:

Men noemt m O

Mar 16, 2011
Here's a better picture, taken with another camera. I drew a red square to show how the lens appears to be tilted.

I'm sending the phone back for repairs tomorrow, I hope they don't make a big deal of the bootloader being re-locked.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just got my M8 today, played with it for a couple of hours before unlocking the bootloader. Restored titanium backup after unlocking, everything was fine until I opened the camera. I also keep getting the "duo camera blocked" warning, I tried taking pictures for an hour straight but the warning persists and I can't use U-focus or any other duo feature on every picture I take.

I'm on stock ROM and recovery and unrooted. Tried to restoring factory settings, no success. Just updated to the newest firmware (1.54.401.10) via OTA but still no working duo camera.

Should I sent it back for repairs (with relocked bootloader) or has someone found a solution for this problem?
    I'm facing the same issue. I tried using the phone on safe mode, but the problem still persists. Any other solution?

I didn't find any solution for the problem. I returned the phone and they immediately send back a new phone so I don't know if HTC could repair it or what exactly was wrong with the old one.
    I used to work for an HTC insurance subsidiary as a repair technician. The real solution to this problem is to have the camera calibrated. When the rear facing camera is detached from the upper board or if the upper board is detached from the motherboard in the replacement process you will have to recalibrat it. when the rear camera is not calibrated properly it will not recognize duo focus and you will not be able to access several additional features that requires the use of duo focus. Because of security clearance issues I'm not able to provide the proper software to calibrate the camera to work. Sorry. But I thought everyone should know, nothing you guys are doing is wrong . The damn thing seriously just needs to be recalibrated.