DISCONTINUED - [ROM][25-feb-11][v1.3] Dexter's Froyo 2.2.1 for XT720

Search This thread

hellmonger

Oct 9, 2010
Laval
What are you using to partition the card? Did you use Ubuntu to format the ext? Also, are you partitioning with the card in the phone or are you removing it (better)? The thing about the android kernel is it doesn't reload the partition tables (I don't even know if it can without rebooting, but rebooting can hose your partitions if the kernel flushes filesystems to their old locations.) I ended with a really messed up sdcard when I first started because I assumed the android kernel behaved like Ubuntu's.

You may want to
  • remove the sdcard, and insert directly into your Ubuntu box
  • backup the fat partition (you need the OpenRecovery files),
  • use gparted
  • delete all partitions on the sdcard using gparted
  • Create a fat32 primary partition leaving 512mb-1gb(1024mb) free for an ext2 (or ext3) partition (I use 1gb ext3)
  • Set the boot flag on the fat32 partition.
  • create a primary ext2 (or 3) partition in the remaining 512-1gb
  • copy back the files from the old fat32 to the new fat32
I cannot stress how little faith I now have in modifying partitions through USB access mode.

Il try it where is the patch i' sure my partitions are good.

scumm_boy

Sep 24, 2009
Toronto
What are you using to partition the card? Did you use Ubuntu to format the ext? Also, are you partitioning with the card in the phone or are you removing it (better)? The thing about the android kernel is it doesn't reload the partition tables (I don't even know if it can without rebooting, but rebooting can hose your partitions if the kernel flushes filesystems to their old locations.) I ended with a really messed up sdcard when I first started because I assumed the android kernel behaved like Ubuntu's.

You may want to
  • remove the sdcard, and insert directly into your Ubuntu box
  • backup the fat partition (you need the OpenRecovery files),
  • use gparted
  • delete all partitions on the sdcard using gparted
  • Create a fat32 primary partition leaving 512mb-1gb(1024mb) free for an ext2 (or ext3) partition (I use 1gb ext3)
  • Set the boot flag on the fat32 partition.
  • create a primary ext2 (or 3) partition in the remaining 512-1gb
  • copy back the files from the old fat32 to the new fat32
I cannot stress how little faith I now have in modifying partitions through USB access mode.

I will try this once I get back to my ubuntu machine. Thanks so much for your Help!

R-D

Dec 19, 2010
I haven't had a chance to re-try oc-settings, but have had some other strangeness which may or may not be related. [Edit: Not related, bootanimation.zip issue, the other errors may still be of value so I will leave them here]

If I power off the phone (through the menu), when I boot back up it takes 2-3 minutes at the splash screen (boot animation).

When the screen finally comes up, it is at lock screen and when I unlock it immediately has on the screen:
Sorry!
Process system is not responding.

With Force Close or Wait.

In behind this message is the selection box for default Home or ADWLauncher. If I pick Wait or FC I can pick my launcher as normal.

I tried booting up with DDMS running, I didn't notice anything too out of the ordinary but I thought I would share a few errors I saw, not sure if they are important;
02-25 20:10:44.335: DEBUG/dalvikvm(2002): Trying to load lib lib_glossary.so 0x0
02-25 20:10:44.335: INFO/dalvikvm(2002): Unable to dlopen(lib_glossary.so): Cannot load library: load_library[1051]: Library 'lib_glossary.so' not found
02-25 20:10:44.335: ERROR/MBGlossaryManager(2002): lib_glossary.so can't be loaded

02-25 20:11:08.601: ERROR/(1651): A component of name 'OMX.TI.JPEG.Encoder' already exists, ignoring this one.
02-25 20:11:08.601: ERROR/(1651): A component of name 'OMX.TI.Video.Decoder' already exists, ignoring this one.
02-25 20:11:08.601: ERROR/(1651): A component of name 'OMX.TI.Video.encoder' already exists, ignoring this one.
02-25 20:11:08.601: ERROR/(1651): A component of name 'OMX.TI.AMR.encode' already exists, ignoring this one.
02-25 20:11:08.601: ERROR/(1651): A component of name 'OMX.TI.WBAMR.encode' already exists, ignoring this one.
02-25 20:11:08.601: ERROR/(1651): A component of name 'OMX.TI.AAC.encode' already exists, ignoring this one.

I think I will reformat my SD card and see if it helps and also get rid of SWAP partition. To get the apps back onto the phone first do I just move everything in /sd-ext/app to /data/app ?

Last edited:

eaglegreek

Oct 7, 2009
Singapore
guys i am stuck in this screen after following the instrucitons above
IMG_0313Small.jpg

this keeps on going with android loading.

please help!!! is there a any way to fix this?

thanks in advance

3rdstring

Dec 19, 2010
Cincinnati
I haven't had a chance to re-try oc-settings, but have had some other strangeness which may or may not be related.

If I power off the phone (through the menu), when I boot back up it takes 2-3 minutes at the splash screen (boot animation).

When the screen finally comes up, it is at lock screen and when I unlock it immediately has on the screen:
Sorry!
Process system is not responding.

With Force Close or Wait.

In behind this message is the selection box for default Home or ADWLauncher. If I pick Wait or FC I can pick my launcher as normal.

I saw the same thing while trying different boot animations, some work fine but some cause the extended boot time & the force close error.

Sent from my XT720 using XDA App

Reactions: R-D

Mioze7Ae

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 27, 2010
Queen City of the West
Google Pixel 7
Links2sd says i have apps2sd installed

For Link2SD to work you can't have /sd-ext/app. If you have /sd-ext/app at boot then /data/app is set up as a symbolic link to /sd-ext/app and Link2SD will give that error. You have to have one or the other. Migrating from apps2sd to Link2SD is currently a manual process that require some terminal proficiency. If you use adb from OpenRecovery, your ext partition will have been automouted to /sddata at boot. You can't delete or rename /sd-ext/app from non-OpenRecovery adb (believe me I've tried)--the directory will be back after you reboot. Another safe choice is to remove the card and make the changes on a linux computer. One good approach is to first rename /sd-ext/app to /sd-ext/app.old. Then after reboot move/copy apk's from /sd-ext/app.old to /data/app and reboot again.

Did those games work on one of Dexter's earlier 2.2 releases?

Last edited:
Reactions: hellmonger

Mioze7Ae

Dec 27, 2010
Queen City of the West
Google Pixel 7
please help!!! android won't load... i waited for like 30 minutes and i can't turn-off the phone. i need to take out the battery.

help will greatly appreciated
  1. Remove battery.
  2. Press and hold volume up button while replacing battery and powering on until you reenter OpenRecovery.
  3. Wipe Data / Factory Reset.
  4. Reboot

Last edited:

R-D

Dec 19, 2010
I saw the same thing while trying different boot animations, some work fine but some cause the extended boot time & the force close error.

Sent from my XT720 using XDA App

Thanks, I had no idea the bootanimation itself could cause this so I didn't think of removing it.

I replaced the boot animation with the stock bootanimation.zip from 2.1. This solved the slow boot and Force Close error on boot.

In case anyone wants the stock animation I have attached it here as well.

Attachments

• stockbootanimation.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 133

Mioze7Ae

Dec 27, 2010
Queen City of the West
Google Pixel 7
02-25 20:10:44.335: DEBUG/dalvikvm(2002): Trying to load lib lib_glossary.so 0x0
02-25 20:10:44.335: INFO/dalvikvm(2002): Unable to dlopen(lib_glossary.so): Cannot load library: load_library[1051]: Library 'lib_glossary.so' not found
02-25 20:10:44.335: ERROR/MBGlossaryManager(2002): lib_glossary.so can't be loaded

Is the md5sum of /system/framework/framework.jar on your phone 5cab441f557365153a4e331e15fc6faf ?

Mioze7Ae

Dec 27, 2010
Queen City of the West
Google Pixel 7
I think I will reformat my SD card and see if it helps and also get rid of SWAP partition. To get the apps back onto the phone first do I just move everything in /sd-ext/app to /data/app ?

Yes. But be aware that 1.3 without the patch will automatically move them right back at boot and remove them from /data/app. You can also just back them up somewhere while you repartition and then copy them back into /sd-ext/app on the freshly formatted partition.

R-D

Dec 19, 2010
Code:
#!/system/xbin/busybox sh

echo 66 > /proc/overclock/max_vsel
echo 800000 > /proc/overclock/max_rate

# date > /data/local/tmp/oc-settings-was-here

So, are you using oc-settings to only set the frequency tables? If you delete oc-settings the overclock module won't be loaded by the boot process, but Milestone Overclock's autoload preference will start working.

You can edit /system/oc and remove the overclock part (or stay tuned for system221v13-bugfix-1 and then delete /system/etc/init.c/05_overclock).

(I also use Ubuntu--I've learned it's very, very easy to corrupt your FAT partition if you forget to unmount the drives in Ubuntu before you switch to charge only mode or before you yank the cord. Even if you sync which I thought was safe.)

Thanks for the note on ubuntu, I was pulling the sdcard without ejecting first, I made sure it was not writing but that could be an issue, I will eject it first now on.

I am assuming by updating the freq table that when I am in Milestone Overclock the pre-set steps on the slider will be what I have entered?

Editing before I post - I was about to paste my oc-settings file and have a question - in the oc script right now the lines are commented out but they are:
Code:
       # echo 46 > /proc/overclock/max_vsel
       # echo 800000 > /proc/overclock/max_rate
       # echo 1 125000000 12 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
       # echo 2 250000000 26 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
       # echo 3 400000000 30 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
       # echo 4 600000000 34 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
       # echo 5 800000000 46 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
       # echo 0 800000 > /proc/overclock/freq_table
       # echo 1 400000 > /proc/overclock/freq_table
       # echo 2 250000 > /proc/overclock/freq_table
       # echo 3 125000 > /proc/overclock/freq_table

I used this same sample as my base for my original oc-settings file.

Two problems;

1) Only the first echo to each file should be a single >, the subsequent echo commands should be a double >> so as to append the file, not overwrite it. For example:

Code:
$ echo 1 > newfile
$ echo 2 > newfile
[COLOR="Red"]$ cat newfile
2[/COLOR]

$ echo 1 > newfile
$ echo 2 >> newfile
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]$ cat newfile
2[/COLOR]

2) The existing files are formatted with additional information, not just:
1 125000000 32​
but
mpu_opps[1] rate=125000000 opp_id=1 vsel=32​

Should we not be maintaining this same file format, or does it also read it okay with the simpler format?

reverendkjr

Nov 7, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
www.youtube.com
I know these questions will be asked:

Is the patch supposed to create anything on the /sd-ext? If I reformat, what steps should I take afterwards to assure the best performance of my newly formatted ext3 partition? Can I just dump any apps that I want onto the /sd-ext/app directory and they'll work?

Mioze7Ae

Dec 27, 2010
Queen City of the West
Google Pixel 7
Thanks for the note on ubuntu, I was pulling the sdcard without ejecting first, I made sure it was not writing but that could be an issue, I will eject it first now on.

I am assuming by updating the freq table that when I am in Milestone Overclock the pre-set steps on the slider will be what I have entered?

Editing before I post - I was about to paste my oc-settings file and have a question - in the oc script right now the lines are commented out but they are:
Code:
       # echo 46 > /proc/overclock/max_vsel
       # echo 800000 > /proc/overclock/max_rate
       # echo 1 125000000 12 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
       # echo 2 250000000 26 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
       # echo 3 400000000 30 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
       # echo 4 600000000 34 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
       # echo 5 800000000 46 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
       # echo 0 800000 > /proc/overclock/freq_table
       # echo 1 400000 > /proc/overclock/freq_table
       # echo 2 250000 > /proc/overclock/freq_table
       # echo 3 125000 > /proc/overclock/freq_table

I used this same sample as my base for my original oc-settings file.

Two problems;

1) Only the first echo to each file should be a single >, the subsequent echo commands should be a double >> so as to append the file, not overwrite it. For example:

Code:
$ echo 1 > newfile
$ echo 2 > newfile
[COLOR="Red"]$ cat newfile
2[/COLOR]

$ echo 1 > newfile
$ echo 2 >> newfile
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]$ cat newfile
2[/COLOR]

2) The existing files are formatted with additional information, not just:
1 125000000 32​
but
mpu_opps[1] rate=125000000 opp_id=1 vsel=32​

Should we not be maintaining this same file format, or does it also read it okay with the simpler format?

These aren't really files. The /proc is a filesystem-like interface to communicate with the kernel. They very often behave differently when read or written to. It's up to the kernel module to understand what you're writing to it. At the least the >> is not needed, but I don't know if it does any harm. See

http://code.google.com/p/milestone-overclock/wiki/KernelModule#Changing_the_frequency/vsel_tables

R-D

Dec 19, 2010
These aren't really files. The /proc is a filesystem-like interface to communicate with the kernel. They very often behave differently when read or written to. It's up to the kernel module to understand what you're writing to it. At the least the >> is not needed, but I don't know if it does any harm. See

http://code.google.com/p/milestone-overclock/wiki/KernelModule#Changing_the_frequency/vsel_tables

Ah okay, that explains that. :) Didn't know how that worked.

So in that case, here is my non-working oc-settings file, is there some other obvious error I am overlooking?

Code:
#!/system/bin/sh
echo 56 > /proc/overclock/max_vsel
echo 850000 > /proc/overclock/max_rate
echo 1 250000000 38 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
echo 2 400000000 42 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
echo 3 550000000 46 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
echo 4 720000000 52 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
echo 5 850000000 56 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
echo 6 1000000000 58 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
echo 0 1000000 > /proc/overclock/freq_table
echo 1 850000 > /proc/overclock/freq_table
echo 2 720000 > /proc/overclock/freq_table
echo 3 550000 > /proc/overclock/freq_table
echo 4 400000 > /proc/overclock/freq_table
echo 5 250000 > /proc/overclock/freq_table

Edit: Can I execute this manually or does it have to be done during boot?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    so here is the new edition with uk kernel, basically pretty much the same as before with correct sensor drivers now.

Changelog v1.3 (Android v2.2.1 edition) Download nandroid image here or mirror

- xavwanted's libOMX and MediaGallery.apk which seems to fix HD recording and playback
    - Riley600's interactive governor fix
    - callwaiting fix
    - kousik's mount-o typo fix
    - Mioze7Ae move /oc to /system/oc
    - bootanim by helmi666
    - Email.apk replacement

Changelog v1.2b (Android v2.2.1 edition) Download patch here

- fixes problems with callwaiting functionality.

Changelog v1.2a (Android v2.2.1 edition) Download nandroid image here

- 720P recording fix
    - re-added old MediaGallery as Camera app requires it.
    - there can be possible hickups with mediascanning (so you know)
    If you do see many FC's its a symptom of not having done factory reset, so this should indicate whether you need to do it or not.

Changelog v1.2 (Android v2.2.1 edition) Download nandroid image here
    - fixed mediascanner issue
    - removed old mediagallery (not supported) , now only Gallery3D available.
    - removed VoiceCommands app, cpu intensive and taking much storage.
    Note, due to the bug in mediascanner and decoding and on top ext2sd support, quadrant benchmarks drastically drops when ext2 is enabled, if the sdcard is not a class6 or higher.. but media decoding bug alone caused incorrect reportings, so dont be surprised when you test now.
    Its a full nandroid for new and existing users. if you're using 1.1+ you do not need to WIPE settings, just restore nandroid and reboot, signatures will be recalculated and bootup takes maybe little more, but it works fine.

Patch update Changelog v1.1b (Android v2.2.1 edition) Download patch here
    - HDMI added to settings menu, let me know how it works (not tested)
    - different proximity sensor module (tested with z-devicetester seems better)
    - facebook fix still included.
    - Support for loading overclock module at startup.
    - apps2ext partition support , will mount at startup if a 2nd partition is found.
    its not advanced, so you need ext2/ext3 partition for now.
    NOTE: Patches goes into /OpenRecovery/updates and is applied in openrecovery menu "apply update".​

Changelog v1.1a (Android v2.2.1 edition) Download nandroid v1.1a link
    - Based on 2.2.1 milestone framework leak
    - Sync facebook is working
    - Lockscreen is new (Blur like)
    - see this link for framework theme's.​

Changelog v1.1 (Android v2.2 edition) Download v1.1 link
    - fixed: OCR camera function currently FC (crash) (Mobireader.apk added)
    - fixed: Contacts apk will be replaced in next update.
    - fixed: HDMI through media player
    - fixed: /mnt/sdcard mount issue​

If you want stock korean 2.2 with just english language and working sensors, download this nandroid dump, if you will probably need the 1.1 including recovery.apk to install this the easy way.
    but else follow instructions in my other releases, and put nandroid backup into the /nandroid/openrecovery folder and restore using OpenRecovery.​

See this post, if you wish to restore a stock rom, or to enable apps2sd filesystem on sdcard
    Install instructions:
    Make sure sdcard is visible, when you get to step 6 of instructions, or it all fails, same with restore..

A: users with stock 2.1 can proceed to step 1 in instructions.
    B: users with stock SBF korean 2.2 rom , need to flash stock 2.1 and goto step 1
    C: Users with 1.1+ of rom with OpenRecovery , can skip WIPE and factory reset, and a restore of the new nandroid backup included in the download link, and goto step 8 (and skip step 9 for factory reset)

1. root it (SuperOneClick ) - included with zip
    2. install OpenRecovery , use included apk.
    3. reboot phone once
    4. copy the folder "nandroid" to root directory of your sdcard.
    5. Make sure sdcard is not attached to pc using "mass storage share" to pc.
    6. Run OpenRecovery app and "install Recovery".
    7. Press Boot recovery
    8. restore the backup "stock22xxxx"
    9. wipe / factory reset in OpenRecovery
    10. reboot

Issues reported by users in v1.2a:
    - Radio FM volume cannot change.
    - MediaGallery does not do videoplayback

Issues reported by users in v1.0:
    - Radio FM volume cannot change.
    - Sync account option for facebook / Twitter is not added in settings when account is configured.
    - Camera language not going to change (its korean app, so not support for other langs)
    - LEDS do work, its sensors that makes them go off/on (no need to report this anymore)

STATEMENT:
    Please don't keep asking the following question directed to me, public or via PM;
    - Can you include language XXXXXXXX .
    Answer: NO
    - Can you teach me how to do custom roms
    - will you include RTL for hebrew
    - will you make other roms like cyanogen,htc etc..
    for new users unable to write in public forums, i cannot answer all your PM's personally, as that gets to be a quite a few per day and many monthly...i am not a support central for xt720 community..i simply don't have that kind of time available.
    Second and final v1.0 stock edition

so here is the new edition with uk kernel, basically pretty much the same as before with correct sensor drivers now.

- Overclock 1.47 included
    - Twitter / Facebook included
    - tiwlan fix included (ini file only)
    - FMRadio (22 korean edition)
    - OpenRecovery app edition (modified DefyRecovery app for xt720 & OpenRecovery replacement) no need for adb anymore.
    - All sensors now working.
    - Interactive governor added (Thanks, Nadlabak)
    - native froyo apps2sd tested / working.
    - button Leds works
    - Kernel included in nandroid backup, no need for any sbf install.

Download link

Install instructions:
    1. root it (SuperOneClick ) - included with zip
    2. install OpenRecovery , use included apk.
    3. reboot phone once
    4. copy the folder "nandroid" to root directory of your sdcard.
    5. Make sure sdcard is not attached to pc using "mass storage share" to pc.
    6. Run OpenRecovery app and "install Recovery".
    7. Press Boot recovery
    8. restore the backup "stock22"
    9. wipe / factory reset in OpenRecovery
    9. reboot
    like my samsung spica has indonesian language,when i select it,not all ui change to indonesia language,but news on news and weather widget show news in indonesian language and from indonesian feed,
    for this purpose, its just a matter of using MoreLocale2 from Market, and all apps that has native language support for your country will switch to that language..
    Unified 1.2 bugfix patch

Maybe xavwanted has even more secrets! I'll take a look.

xavwanted's MediaGallery.apk works (the one I was using came from 1.1a). I'm attaching the working one.

I've started collecting all the bugfixes we find into a single patch that can be applied directly to 1.2 (not 1.2a). The idea is that perhaps collecting these in one place could help Dexter decide if he wants to incorporate them in his releases. The source is on:

https://github.com/Mioze7Ae/XT720-patch

stock221v12-bugfix-1.zip contains:

• xavwanted's libOMX and MediaGallery.apk which seems to fix HD recording and playback
    • Riley600's interactive governor fix
    • Dexter's 1.2b callwaiting fix
    • kousik's mount-o typo fix
    • My suggestion to move /oc to /system/oc

Not included yet: a Milestone Overclock persistence fix. It's easy to get this working if we completely forget about supporting the /sdcard/oc-settings file but then you can't easily set custom frequency and voltage tables.

My current idea is to parse out the settings from Milestone Overclock's preferences saved in an xml file under /data/data/. Given the risks of getting the values wrong and damaging the phone I've made the parsing extremely strict. The problem is there is no good way to signal a parse error to the user of the layout of the file changes. I'm close to a working version.

Things that I'm thinking about and/or working on:
    • ext3/ext4 support (previous approach wasn't really working)
    • Link2SD support (not really a bug and Link2SD is changing rapidly)
    • Moving dalvik-cache (not really a bug)

Why 1.2 and not 1.2a? Because it seems that fixing HD recording on 1.2 is easier than fixing media scan on 1.2a. Also, the consensus seems to be emerging that 1.2 is more stable than 1.2a overall.

Please let me know if I've forgotten something.

I know there's a report of a corporate email fix, but I can't test that. Should I include that or wait for independent confirmation?
    Russian language patch.

From Users to Users.
    We translated Dexter 1.3 to Russian.
    And we think translated well.

So, here is a patch, that adds russian.
    To enable it you should install morelocale2 or just wipe all data(then build.prop settings will get ru_RU locale)

Patch

If someone wants to translate the phone and on his langueage - do not hesitate to contact me with questions in pm.