[ROM][NC] Unofficial CM9 Nightly builds - with/without OpenGL

Search This thread

therkr

Mar 2, 2011
I've come back to the NC ROMs scene after quite a while and was wondering why aren't there any new nightly builds after 4/9/12?

Homer_S_xda

Dec 5, 2010
I've come back to the NC ROMs scene after quite a while and was wondering why aren't there any new nightly builds after 4/9/12?
They froze the build at a fairly stable spot to focus on CM10. CM10 looks like it holds more promise of becoming an official CM10 release. It is optimized for responsiveness and they got some lucky files for OMAP3 for JB (IIRC).

Homer

nookle

Jun 18, 2011
First off I want to say thank you for all your guy's work on CM9. I have been using the 9-3 nightly since it came out and have had almost zero problems.

What I wanted to ask is if the 9-4 nightly offers any huge improvements over the 9-3 nightly? The thing that has bugged me most was the general sluggishness of the tablet. Everything I do just seems to lag. Is this improved in the 9-4 nightly at all?

If so, can someone point me to some tutorials on completely starting over with the nook color? I think I formatted it wrong way back in the day and want to correct it. I think my emmc has like 5 gigs of space, and is hardly using any of it, and the space for apps and stuff is like 700mb. Or that could be correct, I don't know. In any event, I want to start from scratch. Anyone have good instructions on formatting and installing clockwork recovery and the bootloader and all that good stuff?

I just want a nice, stable, somewhat responsive tablet to use until CM10 is stable.

Thanks.

cybertimber2007

Oct 31, 2007
They froze the build at a fairly stable spot to focus on CM10. CM10 looks like it holds more promise of becoming an official CM10 release. It is optimized for responsiveness and they got some lucky files for OMAP3 for JB (IIRC).

Homer
That is a little off, but close. The 9/04 build was the build that had all of the hardware acceleration merged in, and OpenGL enabled by default (rather than separate builds), so they froze builds in the hope to get everyone on a common build to identify bugs.

First off I want to say thank you for all your guy's work on CM9. I have been using the 9-3 nightly since it came out and have had almost zero problems.

What I wanted to ask is if the 9-4 nightly offers any huge improvements over the 9-3 nightly? The thing that has bugged me most was the general sluggishness of the tablet. Everything I do just seems to lag. Is this improved in the 9-4 nightly at all?

If so, can someone point me to some tutorials on completely starting over with the nook color? I think I formatted it wrong way back in the day and want to correct it. I think my emmc has like 5 gigs of space, and is hardly using any of it, and the space for apps and stuff is like 700mb. Or that could be correct, I don't know. In any event, I want to start from scratch. Anyone have good instructions on formatting and installing clockwork recovery and the bootloader and all that good stuff?

I just want a nice, stable, somewhat responsive tablet to use until CM10 is stable.

Thanks.
See the above, but 9/04 has hardware acceleration enabled, so the UI is much more responsive at the least. As far as a good starting point, you want to get the verygreen-ICS image to flash (the modified one from here under B 2) to your uSD card, then install the 9/04 build, then install gapps, then boot.

Last edited:
Reactions: bowguy and MrPib

aegrotatio

Sep 9, 2011
Didn't they say a couple of months ago that the Nook Color was no longer interesting to them for CM10 development?
For that reason I was looking forward to CM9 builds, but I fear it's been abandoned due to lack of interest, since even Google said that Jelly Bean (CM10) would require dual-core as a minimum requirement which Nook Color does not have.

Is CM9 is virtually abandoned? I hope not.

Thanks for the info in advance.

Last edited:

steven676

Nov 24, 2011
Didn't they say a couple of months ago that the Nook Color was no longer interesting to them for CM10 development?

Not to my knowledge -- if anything, that would have been true about CM9, as almost all development effort has gone into CM10 for a couple of months now.

For that reason I was looking forward to CM9 builds, but I fear it's been abandoned due to lack of interest, since even Google said that Jelly Bean (CM10) would require dual-core as a minimum requirement which Nook Color does not have.

Is CM9 is virtually abandoned? I hope not.

Nothing's happened on CM9 for a while now. If we were to encounter some showstopping problem with CM10, we could fairly easily bring back all our recent changes to CM9 as the two are quite similar under the hood, but in our experience, CM10 runs very well on the Nook Color (and other devices with ~1 GHz single-core CPUs and sufficient RAM).

grayfoxmg1

Aug 9, 2009
Paw Paw, Mi
I will also through in that CM10 in its alpha stage has about the same stability as CM9 after we had months of toubleshooting and developing. It's just a better platform to move all of the dev communities efforts to. However if some amazing discovery happened about CM9 on our nooks we would all check it out and either integrate it into cm10 or move all of our stuff from CM10 to CM9 and create CM9.5

Reactions: bornagainpenguin

aegrotatio

Sep 9, 2011
Thanks, that's great news!! Today, as I understand it, CM10 on encore is alive and well even if it's not an official CM build?

Thanks!!

grayfoxmg1

Aug 9, 2009
Paw Paw, Mi
I believe the criteria for an 'Official' Cyanogen Mod ROM is that ALL features must be working on the device, because we have not successfully gotten Netflix to work since CM7 it is proof that we are missing some codec or driver thus preventing us from having an "Official" Cyanogen Mod release.

krylon360

Retired Recognized Developer
May 10, 2010
Provo
www.teamwhiskey.com
I believe the criteria for an 'Official' Cyanogen Mod ROM is that ALL features must be working on the device, because we have not successfully gotten Netflix to work since CM7 it is proof that we are missing some codec or driver thus preventing us from having an "Official" Cyanogen Mod release.

not true at all,
there are still some Official devices that doesnt have netflix working

Reactions: Tschumi

tillerr

Mar 26, 2011
I'm still bummed that mSecure kills the internet connection when running CM9 on my NC. I was hoping this would be addressed but considering it's been a problem for so long and hasn't been talked about much I'm guessing they've hit a dead end.

cybertimber2007

Oct 31, 2007
I'm still bummed that mSecure kills the internet connection when running CM9 on my NC. I was hoping this would be addressed but considering it's been a problem for so long and hasn't been talked about much I'm guessing they've hit a dead end.
I did a search on the thread and your post (quoted above) is the only one referencing mSecure... so basically no one was aware it wasn't working.
Can you reboot, open mSecure, and then grab a logcat after a minute or so (when the connection stops) so someone could take a look and possibly get it fixed? You may also want to try CM10 and see if it works on CM10.

Edit: Ok, found 3 posts on it in sam's builds. What build are you running now?

Last edited:

tillerr

Mar 26, 2011
I did a search on the thread and your post (quoted above) is the only one referencing mSecure... so basically no one was aware it wasn't working.
Can you reboot, open mSecure, and then grab a logcat after a minute or so (when the connection stops) so someone could take a look and possibly get it fixed? You may also want to try CM10 and see if it works on CM10.

I'll see if I can get that for you. Running mSecure itself doesn't kill WiFi it's when I try to sync with either Dropbox or a local connection to update the file that holds passwords.

tillerr

Mar 26, 2011

Edit: Ok, found 3 posts on it in sam's builds. What build are you running now?

I don't have the device with me at work but I did a clean flash of the 9/4 update and am having this problem. I was having it on all previous versions as well.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As of 9/4 opengl is enabled on all builds (so no more double builds each night) and hardware UI acceleration is working. Thanks krylon360 for the work :)

In the same spirit as Samiam303 I've been building and hosting nightly builds of CM9 for the community to use. In particular I'm now building nightlies with OpenGL rendering turned on in addition to non-openGL builds (same as Samiam303). These builds are all straight sync with CM source with no additional mods. Builds are sync'd at 3am EST for non-openGL and 4am EST for openGL - they will be available to download approx 15 mins after their sync times.

So what does OpenGL rendering mean? It means we have some form of hardware acceleration for the UI and apps. It is not full hw accel and it is not hw video decoding. The couple of things you'll notice work is wallpaper scrolling in the launcher and chrome beta will mostly work to render webpages but will fc if you go into settings. Flash also somewhat works - I've found you definitely need to OC to get some flash videos to work, most still are not smooth.

The downside to it seems to vary user to user, some people report sluggish responses and some get lock ups, a few have no problems at all..

Either way, give them a try and report back. Please try to keep the thread on topic of these builds only, other mods can be flashed over, but that discussion should be in the respective thread. I'd also like to revisit keyodi's suggestion here (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=22277804#post22277804) - a few people reported good results with that change. Any more feedback?

Downloads

There's a few ways to get the builds:
    1) Browse the hosted folder here: http://techerrata.com/browse/nightly_kangs/encore
    2) Follow @CM_Encore on twitter for announcements of the builds as they hit the host (PLEASE NOTE: @CM_Encore IS A TWITTER BOT - don't bother tweeting at it)
    3) *NEW* Use the Goo Manager app to receive notifications of new builds and download them directly on your nook. With Goo Manager you can also get incremental updates, see my post here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=25441065#post25441065

Latest ICS gapps can be found here http://goo-inside.me/gapps or mirrored here http://techerrata.com/browse/gapps

Updates

For the latest updates/announcements follow me on twitter, or check back here.

5/9/12: Goo Manager now comes pre-installed to make updating as easy as possible :)
    4/28/12: Incremental updates are available for the flash-a-holics: See http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=25441065#post25441065
    3/10/12: Due to some merges yesterday you may need to reflash gapps when going from a nightly prior to 3/9 to later than 3/9

Credit and Thanks
    Thanks to fattire, dalingrin and the rest of the CM encore theme for making this possible. Thanks to fellow TeamWin members Kevank for providing the hosting and to s0up for the Goo app.
    The 9/4 nightly includes all of krylon's changes, and opengl is now enabled by default so there will only be 1 build each night from now on (unless something changes again). In testing we haven't experienced any freezes or random reboots with the new code and opengl enabled, of course with wider testing we may discover something.
    I've decided to pause the nightlies at this point. If most people are on 9/4 we can start to see if there's any specific issues affecting all users that might be able to be resolved with the goal being as stable a cm9 release as possible. There isn't much being merged into the cm9 tree upstream so we're not losing anything by building less frequency.

So go ahead and install 9/4, if I see something of significance merged upstream I'll kick off a new public build.
    Nightlies will now feature HWA and full Hardware Decoding, as well as working Flash.

Known issues.
    Netflix - Stupid Stupid App. :p - Giving the same error as we are getting in JB, so when we fix one, we will fix the other.

Fruit Ninja - Hangs at the loading screen. - Known issue across several devices.
    I've decided to pause the nightlies at this point. If most people are on 9/4 we can start to see if there's any specific issues affecting all users that might be able to be resolved with the goal being as stable a cm9 release as possible. There isn't much being merged into the cm9 tree upstream so we're not losing anything by building less frequency.

So go ahead and install 9/4, if I see something of significance merged upstream I'll kick off a new public build.

thanks eye.
    This gives me a chance to hack in the PBHACK which will bring down the memory usage of SystemUI like I did in JB.
    Gonna take some work since it didnt like some of the syntax usage when I attempted the 1st time.
    Will try to get to this sometime this week. Have my Grandma coming to town on Sunday, so will be unavail this weekend/next week.