Questions about the my s2

Search This thread

jacoballen22

Oct 18, 2010
Chicago
So, I still have my s2. I'm unrooted and the sim card slot doesn't work anymore. Not many apps are compatible with my phone. What should I do? I want to make this secondary device useful once again.

I keep it in airplane mode with WiFi on. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

knoxyouout

Mar 3, 2012
Ottawa
Root it, flash a decent custom rom with a dsp manager/good audio settings program, a good audio player program,and turn it in to a gigantic mp3 player?

I dunno.

jrc2

Nov 7, 2013
So, I still have my s2. I'm unrooted and the sim card slot doesn't work anymore. Not many apps are compatible with my phone. What should I do? I want to make this secondary device useful once again.

I keep it in airplane mode with WiFi on. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

I'd root it, install AOSPA or FrostedCarbon Unofficial (both are KitKat.) All apps and games I want to install are compatible with it. What Android version is it running?

jrc2

Sent from my SGH-T989

jacoballen22

Oct 18, 2010
Chicago
It's on 2.3.6 I think. it's terrible. When it was my daily driver I had it rooted with Jedi mind trick. I have been out of the loop since though.

jrc2

Nov 7, 2013
It's on 2.3.6 I think. it's terrible. When it was my daily driver I had it rooted with Jedi mind trick. I have been out of the loop since though.

If you want it to be a decent device, upgrade it to at least 4.0.4 (ota or Odin,) flash the latest TWRP through Odin, do a backup and a full wipe, flash ParonoidAndroid (and gapps if you want,) wipe cache and Dalvik and reboot. If everything went well and after you are done flashing/modding everything, you may delete the backup if it's taking up too much space. I usually hold on to mine, though.

Sent from my SGH-T989

Jaf5489

Aug 2, 2014
If you want it to be a decent device, upgrade it to at least 4.0.4 (ota or Odin,) flash the latest TWRP through Odin, do a backup and a full wipe, flash ParonoidAndroid (and gapps if you want,) wipe cache and Dalvik and reboot. If everything went well and after you are done flashing/modding everything, you may delete the backup if it's taking up too much space. I usually hold on to mine, though.

Sent from my SGH-T989

Do what this guy says! If you're still on the stock ROM, you can easily update it to the official Jelly Bean release through Kies. After that, flash something like Paranoid Android, Cyanogenmod, SlimKat, etc. I took an old phone of mine, put a 16GB microSD in, installed Viper4Android audio, and used it as a Bluetooth/Car auxiliary device :cool:. You could also use it as a remote for things like Spotify or Roku, just search the play store for that.

jrc2

Nov 7, 2013
Do what this guy says! If you're still on the stock ROM, you can easily update it to the official Jelly Bean release through Kies. After that, flash something like Paranoid Android, Cyanogenmod, SlimKat, etc. I took an old phone of mine, put a 16GB microSD in, installed Viper4Android audio, and used it as a Bluetooth/Car auxiliary device :cool:. You could also use it as a remote for things like Spotify or Roku, just search the play store for that.

I use it for Tapatalk, music player, email, and remote for XBMC. AOSPA supports App2Sd (which is really the other part of internal storage) so that you can install more apps. If your sim still worked, I'd replace the battery and install AOSPA in it and use it for a daily driver.

Sent from my SGH-T989

jacoballen22

Oct 18, 2010
Chicago
I use it for Tapatalk, music player, email, and remote for XBMC. AOSPA supports App2Sd (which is really the other part of internal storage) so that you can install more apps. If your sim still worked, I'd replace the battery and install AOSPA in it and use it for a daily driver.

Sent from my SGH-T989

I tried absolutely every possible solution except replacing that part, so I'm sure it's still usable. Gonna re-root and try one of these roms out. So weird since I've been out of the forums so long.

mkdroid

Apr 29, 2012
New Jersey

I would immediately root it. Because I've done it to my T-Mobile S2-Hercules long time ago and I've tried almost all of the custom ROMs/ Kernals that are out there.

I'm currently using S2 right now because I've lost my Galaxy S4. I've installed Paranoid Android 4.45 to my Galaxy S2-Hercules and believe me this ROM is by far the BEST, STABLE, and FAST. Recently, I've updated to Paranoid Android 4.5 BETA2. So far no major bugs except shooting a video.

As far as installing APPS goes, I've installed tons of apps/games, all of them are working and stable in S2. So far no issues.

I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND to ROOT IT.

ayr0

May 12, 2014
I would install a custom rom, especially if it isn't your main phone.
I'd use it for a music player.

Then for gags, I'd probably theme it to make it look like an iPod. :)

jrc2

Nov 7, 2013
I would install a custom rom, especially if it isn't your main phone.
I'd use it for a music player.

Then for gags, I'd probably theme it to make it look like an iPod. :)
There is an iOS theme, xposed module, and music player app available [emoji6]

jrc2
Sent from my T-Mobile S2 using Tapatalk.

gotthegalaxy

Jan 17, 2014
Yeah, go on and root it. There isn't much else to do with it otherwise. Alpine and PA roms have been pretty good.