Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

bengalih

Aug 16, 2007
Chicago, IL
Sashimi is friggin awsome. I like better than UC. Babba-boey

Thanks, but as I stated before, SASHIMI isn't meant to be a direct competitor to UC. In fact, the new version will incorporate UC for full config.txt processing.

If you want to cook in something to automate additional storage card installs, then UC is the way to go. If you can do with a little less automation for more features, then SASHIMI may be your fish.

zard

Jul 19, 2005
Like SASHIMI very much! It's fantastic! Good job and well done.

One question though, if I have a XML settings file, how can I use SASHIMI to push the settings in?

The XML settings file is for my exchange server.

Thanks.

bengalih

Aug 16, 2007
Chicago, IL
Like SASHIMI very much! It's fantastic! Good job and well done.

One question though, if I have a XML settings file, how can I use SASHIMI to push the settings in?

The XML settings file is for my exchange server.

Thanks.

Right now, you can't. You would have to make a .CAB file from the XML. basically you name it _setup.xml and then use any method of packaging a cab file.

However, SASHIMI 3.0, which will be released in the next couple of days will have the ability to Provision XML files the same way it does .REG and .MSCR files. So, I would suggest just hang on for a day or two and then you will have your wish!

zard

Jul 19, 2005
Right now, you can't. You would have to make a .CAB file from the XML. basically you name it _setup.xml and then use any method of packaging a cab file.

However, SASHIMI 3.0, which will be released in the next couple of days will have the ability to Provision XML files the same way it does .REG and .MSCR files. So, I would suggest just hang on for a day or two and then you will have your wish!

Thanks. Waiting for SASHIMI 3.0.

aadadams

Jun 5, 2005
Burke VA
Me too. Still salivating... I am going to flash one of the new HTC stripped down versions to play with this. I hope to be able to export my personal info and etc. to get up to speed quickly. I anticipate this is going to be the best app of 2008...

bengalih

Aug 16, 2007
Chicago, IL
Me too. Still salivating... I am going to flash one of the new HTC stripped down versions to play with this. I hope to be able to export my personal info and etc. to get up to speed quickly. I anticipate this is going to be the best app of 2008...

Thanks for your support... I'll give you a heads up to get the customization file ready so you will be able to use it when it comes out.

SASHIMI 3.0 will use a file called regexport.ini in the \bin directory.
Create this file as a normal text file of the following format:

Code:
[MySettings]
RegExportDirMode = Manual
key1 = HKCU\

The first field (the section header) "MySettings" can be called whatever you want. It must be enclosed in brackets like in my example. This is the name of the .reg file that will get created.
The second field "RegExportDirMode" should be set to either "Manual" or "Auto". This controls where the file gets created. If Manual, it goes into the \manual\reg\export directory, if Auto it goes \auto\reg\export.
The next field is the regkey you want to export. In my example I used HKCU\ so it will export the entire HKCU subtree. You can add additional lines after this in the format name = key. The name can actually be anything you want, it doesn't matter, but to keep it simple you should probably just keep on like key1, key2,...key23, etc. and the key is the location you want to export.

Here is another example

Code:
[MySettings]
RegExportDirMode = Manual
key1 = HKCU\

[MySoftware]
RegExportDirMode = Auto
key1 = HKLM\Software\
gobbledegook = HKLM\Apps\

This example will create two files, MySettings.REG in the manual directory and MySoftware.REG in the auto directory. Each file will contain the keys listed in it's section. Then, when you run SASHIMI to install it will prompt you for the manual .REG keys and automatically install the autos...just like previously.

I hope this meets the needs expressed in previous posts. It takes a few minutes to build the file, but it is easy and modular. Of course SASHIMI will allow you to also do a full reg export, backup, and restore too but you need to be careful when restoring backups between ROMS (nothing new there)!.

It should be up by tomorrow, but maybe I'll get it up later tonight.

myv6mustang

Jun 26, 2007
Hey bro, Im a frequent flasher and been looking for a program like this. It works good but my auto install folder doesnt work. Im sure thats something on my end so i will keep trying.

what i really wanted to ask and whats been a problem for me is registration. is there a way to install a program and then have your program copy the registration files needed to get the program started so that when i install a program its ready to use without entering registration codes? sry if this is a stupid question just trying to find a way to shorten the time it takes to get up and running

bengalih

Aug 16, 2007
Chicago, IL
Hey bro, Im a frequent flasher and been looking for a program like this. It works good but my auto install folder doesnt work. Im sure thats something on my end so i will keep trying.

what i really wanted to ask and whats been a problem for me is registration. is there a way to install a program and then have your program copy the registration files needed to get the program started so that when i install a program its ready to use without entering registration codes? sry if this is a stupid question just trying to find a way to shorten the time it takes to get up and running

hey. Well, I haven't heard about a problem with the auto install folder before. However, some .CABs may now work in silent mode. If an app needs manual interaction to install then it may not work in auto mode. This is true for any type of automatic installer, Tiered, UC, and so on.

As far as copying registration info...there are a few ways to do this. If it's files, then you want to place these in an appropriate subfolder of \root and it will be copied to the proper location. If it is a registry entry you can use the .REG or .XML options, or write a mortscript to populate the info.

I would really suggest going through the sample install and tutorial I posted. It will only take about 10 minutes and will get you familiar with almost all the features of the program.

myv6mustang

Jun 26, 2007
Ill give it a shot...with the update. Just wonder but will mess around with it a bit more and see what i can find thanks for the response.

a2k

Jun 30, 2006
Tandem Custom Installs...

Bengalih, great work on Sashimi, thank you!

I do have a question...

I would like the option of installing say what I would like to have listed as XYZ Suite.

The XYZ Suite script will in essence install two applications then run any associated .registry files. Currently it I have these apps in the manual directory and it asks me to install app1 with associated app1.reg, then app2 with associated app2.reg then I would need to manually install a third .reg file to customize both apps.

Could you please show me how to write a small script which does the following...

1. Installs app1.
2. Installs app1.reg upon completion app1 installation.
3. Installs app2.
4. Installs app2.reg upon completion app2 installation.
5. Executes customization.reg upon completion of all of the above.

Many Thanks!

bengalih

Aug 16, 2007
Chicago, IL
Bengalih, great work on Sashimi, thank you!

I do have a question...

I would like the option of installing say what I would like to have listed as XYZ Suite.

The XYZ Suite script will in essence install two applications then run any associated .registry files. Currently it I have these apps in the manual directory and it asks me to install app1 with associated app1.reg, then app2 with associated app2.reg then I would need to manually install a third .reg file to customize both apps.

Could you please show me how to write a small script which does the following...

1. Installs app1.
2. Installs app1.reg upon completion app1 installation.
3. Installs app2.
4. Installs app2.reg upon completion app2 installation.
5. Executes customization.reg upon completion of all of the above.

Many Thanks!

If I understand you correctly, I think the easiest thing to do is this:

\Manual\CAB\App1.cab
\Manual\CAB\App1.reg
\Manual\CAB\App2.cab
\Manual\CAB\App2.reg
\Manual\REG\App1and2.reg

This way you will be prompted to install App1 and then App2, each one will install the tandem .reg file in the the CAB directory. Then in the next part of the manual phase it will ask you to install the App1and2.reg from the REG directory.

If you don't want to be prompted, you can change all those Manual directories to Auto and it should do the same thing....I'm not sure what else you are looking for...?

a2k

Jun 30, 2006
If I understand you correctly, I think the easiest thing to do is this:

\Manual\CAB\App1.cab
\Manual\CAB\App1.reg
\Manual\CAB\App2.cab
\Manual\CAB\App2.reg
\Manual\REG\App1and2.reg

This way you will be prompted to install App1 and then App2, each one will install the tandem .reg file in the the CAB directory. Then in the next part of the manual phase it will ask you to install the App1and2.reg from the REG directory.

If you don't want to be prompted, you can change all those Manual directories to Auto and it should do the same thing....I'm not sure what else you are looking for...?

This is exactly what I would like to do, but be able to launch it from a script file please :)

bengalih

Aug 16, 2007
Chicago, IL
Version 3.5 input...

I am working on the next version (3.5 unless the feature set gets dramtically expanded...then maybe 4.0 ;) ).

Currently the two major additions are:
1) Auto Storage Card install - this any cabs placed in \Auto\CABS\SC will be auto installed to the Storage Card instead of main memory. I have had pretty good success getting this to work, although most CABS that normally would require interaction will still need to be done in the Manual Phase.

2) File/Directory Backup - based on v3patel's suggestion. This will use a file similar to v3's regexport.ini, but this file will define file's and folders (and optionally subfolders) that you can choose to backup from main memory to either \Manual\Root or \Auto\Root for restoration during a future installation.

If there are any specifics that you would like to see implemented in the above features, or additional feature requests, please let me know.

We're probably looking at about 7-10 days until next release depending on additional requests.

Status
Not open for further replies.