wipe cache partitions/dalvik no flash?

Search This thread

judson75

Jan 25, 2014
My phone has been running super laggy lately. Shiny ROM (CDMA) 4.4.2 Rooted. I tried clearing cache and davlik through CWM. Seemed to help for a few days. I usually only wipe cache partition and dalvik before flashing a ROM or something. Without that second step, what (if anything) does this accomplish? Any chance that this temporary lag reduction is a telltale for a particular problem I should know about.

Thanks!

evilnoxx

Nov 15, 2012
My phone has been running super laggy lately. Shiny ROM (CDMA) 4.4.2 Rooted. I tried clearing cache and davlik through CWM. Seemed to help for a few days. I usually only wipe cache partition and dalvik before flashing a ROM or something. Without that second step, what (if anything) does this accomplish? Any chance that this temporary lag reduction is a telltale for a particular problem I should know about.

Thanks!

I've never found a convincing answer for your question. But from what I can tell a cache partition is probably meant to keep things the system uses closer at hand. Wiping it will force the system to create a new cache of things it needs and may possibly improve performance. However I believe the guys from google are good enough to keep a caching system that doesn't "age" (I mean it shouldn't slow down with time).
I believe the reason it should be wiped when you flash a new rom, is because a new system should create it's own cache...

Anyway, if I were you, I'd try flashing a new kernel. Personally I find Fancy Kernel to be the best. I've tried a few and they all let me down eventually. Fancy Kernel has helped in android 4.3 when my phone was getting extremely laggy with franco kernel. It was like buying a new phone.
I've recently used Dirty V that came with OmniMetal Rom and, although it was fast, it used too much battery. Once again Fancy Kernel helped with that issue and the phone is just as fast.