[Q] Galaxy Ace2 I8160 OTG

Search This thread
Feb 28, 2013
Lahore
Hi,
Sometime some simple things make you crazy, I didnt get the answer for "How to use or enable the OTG Cable with I8160". ?
I have absolutely no experiance of making or installing kernel/roms. Please let me know that will I be able to use a simple USB Flashdisk with my I8160 or not.
If not then what could be the reason.
If yes then please guide me for this.
:confused:

arroyo

Mar 14, 2009
Bydgoszcz
I8160 do not support USB OTG. This was answered hundreds of time on many threads here. Use search button next time.

arroyo

Mar 14, 2009
Bydgoszcz
@loof13
Did you managed to connect USB storage or mouse thru USB port in i8160? I did not found anyone who managed to do that. If yes, then it is awesome.
I have OTG cable and my i8160 is not responsing after connecting mouse, keyboard or pendrive. Even with "USB OTG Helper" app. Tried to power connected devices via USB HUB, but it did not helped.

The reason why it is not working ... its because i8160 do not give any power required to power connected devices. Ace 2 cannot work in host mode for USB. Tried this already in GB and JB (MB2 and MB4). Hafidzduddin confirmed that in kernel there is everything that is needed for USB OTG, but probably it is lack of something in hardware.

But all bluetooth mouses and keyboards work good.

Last edited:

Dr01nE

Oct 1, 2012
Acquiring...
@loof13
Did you managed to connect USB storage or mouse thru USB port in i8160? I did not found anyone who managed to do that. If yes, then it is awesome.
I have OTG cable and my i8160 is not responsing after connecting mouse, keyboard or pendrive. Even with "USB OTG Helper" app. Tried to power connected devices via USB HUB, but it did not helped.

The reason why it is not working ... its because i8160 do not give any power required to power connected devices. Ace 2 cannot work in host mode for USB. Tried this already in GB and JB (MB2 and MB4). Hafidzduddin confirmed that in kernel there is everything that is needed for USB OTG, but probably it is lack of something in hardware.

But all bluetooth mouses and keyboards work good.

It was mentioned that it supports OTG. Its just that we needed a kernel and drivers or stuff that would make it possible

Is pressing "THANKS" to hard to do? If you think my post is helpful then click that button! Ungrateful bast***s​

Feb 28, 2013
Lahore
So i will need to have kernel by hafidz.
I searched on forums and found that i have to short pin 4 and pin5 of mini usb connector. Did someone tried for i8160.
Does simple usb flash disk also needs powrr from phone.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using xda app-developers app

Dr01nE

Oct 1, 2012
Acquiring...
So i will need to have kernel by hafidz.
I searched on forums and found that i have to short pin 4 and pin5 of mini usb connector. Did someone tried for i8160.
Does simple usb flash disk also needs powrr from phone.

I remember someone saying that if the phone cannot power the USB device, an external power source should be used. I don't really know what that meant but I'm guessing a USB hub that has a separate power supply.

Feb 28, 2013
Lahore
Ok. So try the kernel by hafidz. Try external power supply.
But does this has been tried by someone with success.

arroyo

Mar 14, 2009
Bydgoszcz
USB OTG works right out of the box on Xperia P and Xperia Sola (Nova Thor U8500). My friends in work have themad this function works without any mods with Nokia CA-157 USB-OTG cable. My freiend is even using USB-TV-tuner on his Xperia P. The same cable does not work with Ace 2. Already tried it on GB and leaked JB. I do not believe, that it is only software fault made by Samsung.

Reactions: numbazZ

galihsan

Jul 23, 2012
I remember someone saying that if the phone cannot power the USB device, an external power source should be used. I don't really know what that meant but I'm guessing a USB hub that has a separate power supply.

you can use the usb cable extension , hack the cable and give voltage from charger adaptor, etc

sorry for my english

mikroskeem

Oct 3, 2013
mikroskeem.eu
Otg support

Okay, MaclawStudios made CM11 for GT-i8160(i'm running one) and kernel seems to support USB OTG :silly:
Sad is that cable won't work :( even with hacked cable and external power :eek:

tofueatsbread

Mar 7, 2013
Says who kernel works with OTG? Ive read the required pins arent even connected on the motherboard

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk

rezniqsvk

Sep 23, 2013
re

in vold.ftab is wriiten that it is needed to define path for OTG so i think its that tto start with

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes it does! Please use the Q and A thread if you want to ask questions!! This is the hundredth time we are mentioning this!
    That's what I meant :p
    USB OTG works right out of the box on Xperia P and Xperia Sola (Nova Thor U8500). My friends in work have themad this function works without any mods with Nokia CA-157 USB-OTG cable. My freiend is even using USB-TV-tuner on his Xperia P. The same cable does not work with Ace 2. Already tried it on GB and leaked JB. I do not believe, that it is only software fault made by Samsung.