[Q] Note 10.1 Boot Loop. Can't access recovery mode

Search This thread

kyleschepis

Jan 31, 2014
Hi. I have a Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet. I went to turn it on this morning and it for stuck in a boot loop. all it says it "Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1" and then shuts off. I try and into recovery and the TWRP title screen shows up and then immediately turns off. What should I do?

kyleschepis

Jan 31, 2014
Would flashing the stock ROM erase everything from the tablet? Is there a way to retrieve the files from it in download mode?

robb-x

Feb 4, 2014
Bootloop - No Recovery Mode

Would flashing the stock ROM erase everything from the tablet? Is there a way to retrieve the files from it in download mode?

Hi all,

I have a similar issue to kyleschepis.

I am not using a custom ROM. I have the stock ROM that came with the GT-N8013.

My issue started a week ago. My Galaxy Note had been having occasional issues with the external SD card. A warning would appear saying that the SD card had been removed, and a couple of seconds later it would re-mount and every thing was fine.

But last week, I picked up my note and turned the screen on (it was already started) and noticed the warning message while the screen was still locked. Then, as the second message was still being displayed letting me know that the SD card had been mounted, I swipe the screen to unlock. But instead of unlocking, my Note completely rebooted. It got as far as the logo screen (displaying "Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1"), but would go no further.

I AM able to get into the Odin download mode but CANNOT get into recovery mode no matter what I do.

I have tried re-flashing the stock ROM ("KIES_HOME_N8013UEUCMI3_N8013XARCMI3_813049_REV00 _user_low_ship.tar.md5") several times, as well as trying to install customer recovery modes like CWM and TWRP, as well as the stock recovery. The installation in Odin seems to run fine - I get the "PASS" message at the end of the prodedure. But the power + volume up combination does NOT get me into recovery mode. Even if, as many have suggested, I continue holding the button combination until the logo screen displays a second or a third time.

I have been without my Note for a full week now, and I use it for everything. So, any help I can get would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

Reactions: rjhklein

tcm13

Sep 26, 2010
Finland
Boot loop (soft brick)

Hi all,

My issue started a week ago. My Galaxy Note had been having occasional issues with the external SD card. A warning would appear saying that the SD card had been removed, and a couple of seconds later it would re-mount and every thing was fine.

But last week, I picked up my note and turned the screen on (it was already started) and noticed the warning message while the screen was still locked. Then, as the second message was still being displayed letting me know that the SD card had been mounted, I swipe the screen to unlock. But instead of unlocking, my Note completely rebooted. It got as far as the logo screen (displaying "Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1"), but would go no further.

I AM able to get into the Odin download mode but CANNOT get into recovery mode no matter what I do.

I have tried re-flashing the stock ROM ("KIES_HOME_N8013UEUCMI3_N8013XARCMI3_813049_REV00 _user_low_ship.tar.md5") several times, as well as trying to install customer recovery modes like CWM and TWRP, as well as the stock recovery. The installation in Odin seems to run fine - I get the "PASS" message at the end of the prodedure. But the power + volume up combination does NOT get me into recovery mode. Even if, as many have suggested, I continue holding the button combination until the logo screen displays a second or a third time.

I have been without my Note for a full week now, and I use it for everything. So, any help I can get would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

I am having near the same experience as rob-x. I have had problems with some files on my SD card missing or arbitrarily renamed. I had the tab on charge and the next day it was looping through the boot screen,
I have tried flashing the firmware with Odin and also CWM, without results. I am unable to boot into recovery, only into download.
Also the only way to turn the machine off is to plug it in to charger then hold the on/off until the screen goes black.
My next plan is to flash the PIT and the firmware at the same time,

robb-x

Feb 4, 2014
I am having near the same experience as rob-x. I have had problems with some files on my SD card missing or arbitrarily renamed. I had the tab on charge and the next day it was looping through the boot screen,
I have tried flashing the firmware with Odin and also CWM, without results. I am unable to boot into recovery, only into download.
Also the only way to turn the machine off is to plug it in to charger then hold the on/off until the screen goes black.
My next plan is to flash the PIT and the firmware at the same time,

Hi tcm13,

Three weeks later and I am still none the wiser with my Note. It is still caught in the bootloop.

I can tell you that I have tried flashing the PIT and the stock firmware, but in my case it did not help. You are welcome to try. It didn't get any worse, but it did not get any better either. I have also tried flashing the stock German and UK ROMs for the GT-N8010 (mine is the US GT-N8013) with or without the PIT. These both fail fairly early on in the flashing process. But the behavior of the device does not change. Still the same bootloop, stuck at the same place.

Sorry for the bad news. Like I said, in my case flashing the PIT didn't help, but I have read on forums that people did have success with it. So it is definitely worth trying. It doesn't make things any worse, any way.

Let me know how it goes for you.

Last edited:

Topazzar

Mar 24, 2012
Perth
Ditto, same issue. I can flash a .tar file (I have tried CF-Auto and TRWP) in download mode using Odin but can't get the device into recovery mode.

It is just boot looping to the Samsung GALAXY Note 10.1 screen every 15-20 seconds. Can't even turn the damn thing off to save battery!!

tcm13

Sep 26, 2010
Finland
Ditto, same issue. I can flash a .tar file (I have tried CF-Auto and TRWP) in download mode using Odin but can't get the device into recovery mode.

It is just boot looping to the Samsung GALAXY Note 10.1 screen every 15-20 seconds. Can't even turn the damn thing off to save battery!!

Hi,
I have been able to turn the device off by plugging it in to charge then hold the on/off down until the screen goes dark.

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

Hi tcm13,

Three weeks later and I am still none the wiser with my Note. It is still caught in the bootloop.

I can tell you that I have tried flashing the PIT and the stock firmware, but in my case it did not help. You are welcome to try. It didn't get any worse, but it did not get any better either. I have also tried flashing the stock German and UK ROMs for the GT-N8010 (mine is the US GT-N8013) with or without the PIT. These both fail fairly early on in the flashing process. But the behavior of the device does not change. Still the same bootloop, stuck at the same place.

Sorry for the bad news. Like I said, in my case flashing the PIT didn't help, but I have read on forums that people did have success with it. So it is definitely worth trying. It doesn't make things any worse, any way.

Let me know how it goes for you.

Hi,

I have tried all and every PIT, ROM custom or not, and various recoveries without success.

I presume, as opposed to assume that it is a hardware fault.

Faulty SD card reading, random freezing, crashes and long charging cycles lead me to surmise some basic fault is the cause, also seeing that my device is not the only one to have been stricken.

I have now surrendered my system to the "tender mercies" of the appointed Samsung technicians as my device is still under warranty.

I dislike admitting defeat but I have gone as far as I can without picking up a screwdriver.

Let hear if you have found another alternative.

mowgli_writes

Dec 23, 2013
Yangon
Hi,

Could you let us know how it went after the service? I had similar problems with my Note 10.1 (n8013) but it seems to have gone away by itself. Had to let the battery die a couple of times a couple of times though, but now I'm running IOKP without a hitch. :). Would really like to know what the Samsung service people diagnosed...

gnice3d

Mar 21, 2011
Bump

Hi,

Could you let us know how it went after the service? I had similar problems with my Note 10.1 (n8013) but it seems to have gone away by itself. Had to let the battery die a couple of times a couple of times though, but now I'm running IOKP without a hitch. :). Would really like to know what the Samsung service people diagnosed...

BUMP : Same behavior here. I was able to upload an older stock ROM via odin but upon rebooting, the behavior persists and I still cannot boot into recovery mode. It would help tremendously if Samsung would pull their heads out of the asses and provide links to firmware but I cannot find an official source for any US version of the Note 10.1 (gt-n8013eavxar).

Side note to the origin of the problem. The tablet I am attempting to recover had never been rooted so I'm ruling out operator error as to how the device became so jammed up.

xcentric

Jun 27, 2010
Hi all,

Thanks,

Rob

bro have you found the solution ?

harrisyn

Jun 22, 2006
Boot into recovery

I had a similar issue but then realised that the instructions I had been following were slightly inaccurate i.e. hold down power and volume up...... what worked for me was hold down power and volume up, when logo comes up, release power but hold on to the volume.

lets know if you already tried that.

Reactions: mpyka91
May 15, 2011
I had a similar issue but then realised that the instructions I had been following were slightly inaccurate i.e. hold down power and volume up...... what worked for me was hold down power and volume up, when logo comes up, release power but hold on to the volume.

Thanks a lot for stupid it seams I did that and oala CWM XD.

Im resurrecting my tab from a hard brick so entering recovery is a greate deal for me a few ours ago i could only enter in download mode no at least i have a boot loop and recovery.

It´s factory reset and cache whipe time to get rid of the boot loop :p

nic.stl

Jan 31, 2010
Thanks a lot for stupid it seams I did that and oala CWM XD.

Im resurrecting my tab from a hard brick so entering recovery is a greate deal for me a few ours ago i could only enter in download mode no at least i have a boot loop and recovery.

It´s factory reset and cache whipe time to get rid of the boot loop :p
great ☺

Envoyé de mon GT-N8010 en utilisant Tapatalk

xcentric

Jun 27, 2010

i tried your way its shows green android logo with blue lines in centre and then next screen it shows is android lying down with its stomach open and red exclamation.

what does that mean >?

Jrod236

Sep 14, 2011
Hi.

I'm having a similar issue wih my n8010

Im am unable to boot the tablet, its stuck on the samsung logo, and here it stays untill it runs out of battery.
I cannot enter recovery mode, it will not get past the samsung logo. (I have tried holding down the vollme up key and releasing the power key when the logo apears) Nothing works.
I am able to get into Download mode, and the tablet is also reconized by Odin, But when i try to flash a stock firmware downloaded from Sammobile, It right away sais Fail!
This is the output from Odin:
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> N8010XXUCMK2_N8010OXXCMK2_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/005> Odin v.3 engine (ID:5)..
<ID:0/005> File analysis..
<ID:0/005> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/005> Initialzation..
<ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/005> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/005> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/005> tz.img
<ID:0/005> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/005> sboot.bin
<ID:0/005> FAIL!
<ID:0/005>
<ID:0/005> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

On the tablet i get: SW REV. Invalid magic string

I have tried to flash a new recovery using Heimdall and that i can do with no errors, but i canot enter recovery mode.

Am i tryind to flash the wrong firmware fra Sammobile?

Hope that someone can help me to solve this.

NOTE: Before this went wrong i had CM 10.2 Nightly on the tablet, but could not play any videos, so i want to go back to stock. So i connected the tablet to odin and tried to flash the firmware from Sammobile, but it failed, and now, this is where im at.

EDIT: I got the problem solved.. I tried various stock roms from Sammobile, different countries and regions, ended up with a stockrom pointing at Netherlands even tho i live in Denmark, but that one flashed with no errors, and i was able to get past the "Samsung Galaxy 10.1 ) logo, but got stuck at the "Samsung" logo. But i was now able to enter revovery mode (Power + Vol Up) and do a full wipe and the reboot. Now everything works.

A littel bonus question i would like someone to help me understand. When i want to download a Stock Rom from Sammobile, what should i choose? I live in Denmark, but there is no option for that when i am to selct a download from Sammobile.
Another question, can i Select a 4.1.2 firmware and flash that on my Tablet, now that i have the 4.4.2 installed? I hate the new KitKat placement of buttons on the tablet.. Back button in the middle where you cant reach it with your thumb and the drop down menus are a pain.. i hate it.
Will i for example be able to flash this rom : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2119547
Or are there some problems with me having 4.4.2 now, and want to go back to 4.1.2?

Please advise.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

rjhklein

Jun 11, 2010
I am glad it helped several members but unfortunately not me and probably also others with the same issue as ROBX described.

I think it has something to do with hardware, original cable etc. tomorrow I have it flashed at the Samsung shop and see if it works there.

Shehab

May 7, 2006
Alexandria
EDIT: I got the problem solved.. I tried various stock roms from Sammobile, different countries and regions, ended up with a stockrom pointing at Netherlands even tho i live in Denmark, but that one flashed with no errors, and i was able to get past the "Samsung Galaxy 10.1 ) logo, but got stuck at the "Samsung" logo. But i was now able to enter revovery mode (Power + Vol Up) and do a full wipe and the reboot. Now everything works.

Any one tray this and solve the problem?

Sent from my SM-T805 using XDA Premium HD app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Bootloop - No Recovery Mode

Hi all,

Thanks,

Rob
    Boot into recovery

rjhklein said:
    I think it has something to do with hardware, original cable etc. tomorrow I have it flashed at the Samsung shop and see if it works there.
    Did it work? I went to a Samsung Service Point today with the the exact same problem: it gets stuck at the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 text and does nothing beyond that. When I try to get into recovery (TWRP) it shows Teamwin for a short time before rebooting into the same problem. Download mode works, flashing stock firmware says 'Pass' in Odin, but it doesn't solve the problem. I tried flashing multiple times, even using a PIT file, but no luck at all. The service guy tried flashing it with stock firmware but he couldn't fix it. The stupid thing is, my warranty period is over. By 11 days. If this had happened 11 days earlier it would have been fixed for free by Samsung, but I am in bad luck. I asked whether he could do something for me because it's been only 11 days but he said no.
    I had Omnirom installed, 4.4.2 if I'm not mistaken. It has been working since April and now suddenly it failed.

Anyways, is there anyone out there who has some more things which I can try? I haven't tried multiple firmwares so far, only the 4.4.2 Dutch stock rom, using multiple versions of Odin. I also tried flashing only stock recovery with a tar file I found here, no luck. I tried flashing CWM, the newest version of TWRP (I had an older version earlier), all to no avail.

BTW, mios_sakuragi, this seems to be a good guide. However, instead of downloading 'XXALGC' I would suggest going to sammobile.com to find the firmware for your country. Also, you can make a choice between 4.4.2 or an older one. 4.4.2 doesn't seem to be that popular. I hope that helps...
    Any update? Having the same problem. Can anyone provide a PIT file? Found one online for n8013 and didnt change a thing... still in bootloop and TWRP goes blank after a couple of seconds. :(

I am having same issue but I can't get it into recovery mode...pressing power and volume up the Samsung galaxy note 10.1 pops up, if I hold both down it just keeps going black and then logo again every 10 seconds. trying releasing power button like someone else said and it does same thing...logo goes on and off about every 10 secs. I can get it into odin mode and it just says downloading...do not turn off target but I don't know what I am supposed to do, I downloaded kies but it won't recognize my device. it's 18 mos old with light use and it's freaking dead...I am not a tech person but am trying all of the options I am googling...it's stock and light mom use, it's out of warranty, samsung says $199 and $20 shipping to even have me send it in to look at...wth??!!!
    I have also have this issue out of the blue this morning. :(
    Any updates on how to at least boot into recovery? Can't flash via Odin due to failed write.