discussion of s-off

Search This thread

HowardZ

Apr 6, 2012
why did you buy rezound? why didn't you go with nexus or razr?

I had a 2 year upgrade to use.

Was considering Galaxy Nexus for $300 or the HTC Rezound for $200

I read about the HTC unlock and that would be nice. If my droid-x isn't working right, I can't simply boot into clockworkmod recovery from a powered off state. And this might mean needing to SBF, root, and reinstall clockworkmod recovery. HTC's unlocked bootloader allows replacing the stock recovery with clockworkmod or Ramon RA recoveries - this - a big improvement for safety.

I thought a recovery program on the rezound would work just like on my DROID-X. I didn't even think about the possibility that an "unlocked phone" would be protecting major parts of the operating system. After all, to unlock we acknowledge giving up our warranty, so why additional protection??? This doesn't make sense to me. HTC is supposed to have sense (hihi).

The ICS OTA for the rezound was considered imminent - based on posts on the internet, which turned out to be false rumors.

One other factor is the Galaxy Nexus has radio issues - data drops, and even call drops if it is a long phone call. From what I read in the galaxy nexus forums, the Thunderbolt and Rezound have a superior radio chipset, and if 4G is troublesome, the 4G and also eHRPD can both be turned off to give the same performance as a 3G-only phone. They write that with 4G turned off & eHRPD turned on, a 4G phone just isn't as reliable as a 3G-only phone. Only Thunderbolt and Rezound allow turning off eHRPD.

The final deciding factor was when Verizon put the Rezound on sale for $50. A Verizon manager even gave me an extended battery and battery cover for free.

However, as mentioned above, I had no idea HTC had this S-On/S-off protection scheme. If I had known, I am not certain if my decision would have been the same.

Anyway, a moot subject since S-OFF/S-ON is coming soon (to a theatre near you).

Regards,
Howard

Last edited:

badogg

Mar 11, 2011

I read about the HTC unlock and that would be nice. If my droid-x isn't working right, I can't simply boot into clockworkmod recovery from a powered off state. And this might mean needing to SBF, root, and reinstall clockworkmod recovery. HTC's unlocked bootloader allows replacing the stock recovery with clockworkmod or Ramon RA recoveries - this - a big improvement for safety.

I thought a recovery program on the rezound would work just like on my DROID-X. I didn't even think about the possibility that an "unlocked phone" would be protecting major parts of the operating system. After all, to unlock we acknowledge giving up our warranty, so why additional protection??? This doesn't make sense to me. HTC is supposed to have sense (hihi).

The ICS OTA for the rezound was considered imminent - based on posts on the internet, which turned out to be false rumors.

One other factor is the Galaxy Nexus has radio issues - data drops, and even call drops if it is a long phone call. From what I read in the galaxy nexus forums, the Thunderbolt and Rezound have a superior radio chipset, and if 4G is troublesome, the 4G and also eHRPD can both be turned off to give the same performance as a 3G-only phone. They write that with 4G turned off & eHRPD turned on, a 4G phone just isn't as reliable as a 3G-only phone. Only Thunderbolt and Rezound allow turning off eHRPD.

The final deciding factor was when Verizon put the Rezound on sale for $50. A Verizon manager even gave me an extended battery and battery cover for free.

However, as mentioned above, I had no idea HTC had this S-On/S-off protection scheme. If I had known, I am not certain if my decision would have been the same.

Regards,
Howard

If you want to restore one of you're backups, it isn't that hard to also flash a PH98IMG.zip or a boot.img to go with it. You are right that it is definitely easier if it was all part of the backup (as it will be with s-off) but it really is not that big of a whoop.

con247

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 1, 2010
Ann Arbor

Regards,
Howard

Use my nandroid helper. It let's you flash boot images from recovery. It is in the development section.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using XDA

Reactions: LunaticSerenade

LunaticSerenade

Nov 26, 2008
Columbus
The nandroid helper is awesome. I did somethi.g stupid a couple weeks ago (I forget what though) and it saved my butt.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

RoyHinkley

Oct 30, 2011
Kingsland
We have an unlocked bootloader we can do pretty much everything we need to do even with s-on. S-off is a luxury not a necessity

Sent from my INCREDIBLE, faster than a THUNDERBOLT, REZOUND!

I flashed the latest firmware leak a few weeks ago. Now I would like to go back to the old firmware because of minor overheating but mainly because of battery life. Can't do it.

xdadevnube

Jun 28, 2011
What about pdroid?
It states in their thread, linked on their google play app page, that htc devices need s-off.
Has anybody tried pdroid with the rezound?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using XDA App

a.mcdear

May 20, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
What about pdroid?
It states in their thread, linked on their google play app page, that htc devices need s-off.
Has anybody tried pdroid with the rezound?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using XDA App

I haven't used pdroid before, but as far as is my understanding, S-OFF should have absolutely no impact on whether or not this app will function correctly. Looks like you'll need root, but other than that I can't see why it would require S-OFF or even need to mention it.

con247

Sep 1, 2010
Ann Arbor
I flashed the latest firmware leak a few weeks ago. Now I would like to go back to the old firmware because of minor overheating but mainly because of battery life. Can't do it.

Well that isn't the fault of HTC unlock. You technically were never supposed to install it. That is why I am still on 1.02 firmware. If it ain't broke, don't fix it unless you have S-OFF.

Reactions: Sheldor1967

ksizzle9

Jun 17, 2010
Knoxville
Is pdroid supposed to be p3droid? Not being a smart-ass actually wondering. If so, I wouldn't hold a ton of stock in what p3 says but only for one reason: with the exception of the GNex p3 has worked exclusively on MOTO devices since the Droid 1. But when it comes to the GNex and any moto device he probably knows more than moto's entire R&D program.

I am not a paid spokesman for p3, I was simply a mod at his forum for a while and he knows his **** when it comes to moto, well actually he knows his shiznit about Android period.

a.mcdear

May 20, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Is pdroid supposed to be p3droid? Not being a smart-ass actually wondering. If so, I wouldn't hold a ton of stock in what p3 says but only for one reason: with the exception of the GNex p3 has worked exclusively on MOTO devices since the Droid 1. But when it comes to the GNex and any moto device he probably knows more than moto's entire R&D program.

I am not a paid spokesman for p3, I was simply a mod at his forum for a while and he knows his **** when it comes to moto, well actually he knows his shiznit about Android period.

no, pdroid is pdroid, and p3droid is something else.

PhantasmRezound

Mar 15, 2012
Atlanta, GA
www.soundcloud.com
When my replacement Rez came, I was shocked at the battery life I got from stock 1.x base. Then the OTA crept upon it when I wasn't looking and BAM! 2.x anything drains my battery life. Afraid to use the leaks, might worsen the problem. I'd like S-off going down the road to help reverse such issues lol.

andrewp3481

Jun 30, 2011
The leaks are what will cone out eventually...you shouldn't be too afraid to use them. We know this because HTC signitures match up and the RUU runs.

S-off at this point is kinda useless from where most of us stand. Our radios are fine and most ROM's have an auto kernal instal script. I would sit back and enjoy our unlocked phones as they are.

I use CleanRom pro 4.3 and use the comprehensive apk list to get rid of everything possible. I'm a heavy user and I get 8 hours....

I have a 3.8v batt. And 2 after market 3.7v's I would say the 3.8v gives better battery life. I also have 3 Rezounds in my family which I unlocked and ROM'd. If anyone wants real comparisons of what works just PM me.

S-off is over rated for most of us :(

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium

Reactions: andybones

a.mcdear

May 20, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
The leaks are what will cone out eventually...you shouldn't be too afraid to use them. We know this because HTC signitures match up and the RUU runs.

S-off at this point is kinda useless from where most of us stand. Our radios are fine and most ROM's have an auto kernal instal script. I would sit back and enjoy our unlocked phones as they are.

I use CleanRom pro 4.3 and use the comprehensive apk list to get rid of everything possible. I'm a heavy user and I get 8 hours....

I have a 3.8v batt. And 2 after market 3.7v's I would say the 3.8v gives better battery life. I also have 3 Rezounds in my family which I unlocked and ROM'd. If anyone wants real comparisons of what works just PM me.

S-off is over rated for most of us :(

This isn't really very good advice. Leaks generally aren't finished software, and shouldn't just be flashed by just anybody just because they exist. Without S-OFF, you can easily get yourself PERMANENTLY STUCK on a leak, which may or may not be full of bugs. It can also cause other problems, like upgrading HBOOT to a version that isn't exploitable, which could permanently prevent S-OFF once flashed. I would say there are far more reasons for most people NOT to flash new leaks, especially one containing new firmware, until it has been thoroughly tested.

And further more, S-OFF is definitely not overrated. S-ON is the only reason why any of the above is true. If we had S-OFF, we wouldn't have to worry about getting stuck without a way of downgrading back to original firmware.

RoyHinkley

Oct 30, 2011
Kingsland
Well that isn't the fault of HTC unlock. You technically were never supposed to install it. That is why I am still on 1.02 firmware. If it ain't broke, don't fix it unless you have S-OFF.

I 100% agree, I don't blame anyone or hold anyone else responsible for anything I choose to do to my phone. I took a chance and I got what I got (I can live with it, it's not that bad). I'm just saying that with s-off it wouldn't be an issue. The only point I'm trying to make is that it may not be the most important thing to happen to the Rezound but it's not insignificant, either. We tinker with our phones-that's why this place exists-and sometimes we do things a wish we could change.

con247

Sep 1, 2010
Ann Arbor
I 100% agree, I don't blame anyone or hold anyone else responsible for anything I choose to do to my phone. I took a chance and I got what I got (I can live with it, it's not that bad). I'm just saying that with s-off it wouldn't be an issue. The only point I'm trying to make is that it may not be the most important thing to happen to the Rezound but it's not insignificant, either. We tinker with our phones-that's why this place exists-and sometimes we do things a wish we could change.

Yeah S-OFF would be nice because I would try the other firmwares. Firmware is a bit strange and not everyone gets the same experience from it. I know it improved some phones too and hurt others which is strange and probably why it hasn't yet surfaced as the final release.

OLDsJUNKIE

May 30, 2010
Indiana
What is this supposed to mean?

It means that this same topic has been discussed on a thousand threads over and over again, and exactly like I said, here we go again. It's like every thread is the same. "Why does my battery life suck?" "I'm stuck on the white HTC screen" "I can't wait to get S-OFF so we can have AOSP". Add in the inevitable comment from Mighty Markus about all the devs he knows coming to the rezound when S-OFF gets here and you're pretty well caught up. :D End Rant.

Reactions: Snuzzo

werdna87

Apr 9, 2011
Mass
It means that this same topic has been discussed on a thousand threads over and over again, and exactly like I said, here we go again. It's like every thread is the same. "Why does my battery life suck?" "I'm stuck on the white HTC screen" "I can't wait to get S-OFF so we can have AOSP". Add in the inevitable comment from Mighty Markus about all the devs he knows coming to the rezound when S-OFF gets here and you're pretty well caught up. :D End Rant.

I really can't seem to find the connection everyone is making between s-off and aosp. Is he only reason better dev appeal?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We were sworn to confidentiality until the exploit is released....

But yes, it works! I have seen it first hand.

But YES, S-OFF is coming your way once that team perfects the process. This I can assure.

This is all I can and will say. If I say too much HTC could close the loophole. Just like every other exploit... So dont be upset that I cannot give details.

-Scott
    The key word is hacked. If you don't want the risk of running hacked software then don't root. Or get an iphone. Otherwise grow a set of testicles or don't post.
    And Wtf is up with all this crying? They will release when they are ready. Otherwise figure it out for yourself. It's that simple.
    I notice the biggest problem makers on xda are people who contribute nothing and expect everything.
    Just saying..
    Rant over

Excellent. I just achieved s-off on the second try, after drinking since 2 this afternoon on the golf course. Was running the ICS Leak before doing the s-off method. Steps I took, if it helps anyone:

1. Downloaded the proper file for my situation.
    2. Unzipped contents, placed the 3 files in the same folder as ADB/Fastboot.
    3. Removed sd card I normally use, replaced with original Dinc sd card.
    4. With phone booted normally into BAMF Evita 2.0, hooked up USB cable.
    5. Went into folder containing s-off files and ran Controlbear as administrator.
    6. Watched it do its thing and did the "wire trick" when prompted.
    7. Phone rebooted a few times, ultimately booting into the rom I was using.
    8. Replaced SD card that I normally use, and wrote this post.

This is what worked for me, your experience may vary.
    I dunno con it probably would of been better if they sent out private invites to beta test this instead of making it public. You cant open a thread and expect people to not post. Plus we have members flaunting off s-off that doesnt help matters either.

I don't agree. They aren't members of the Rez community so they don't know who to invite. Plus, they wanted testers as soon as possible and waiting for people to respond to emails/PM would take alot longer. If you ask in a thread for people not to post, people should be able to listen. If you can't follow simple instructions you don't deserve S-OFF. I don't understand why it is so hard for people to sit down, shut up, and just wait. Most people are adults here. I am amazed that alot of people can't act like one. People flaunting S-OFF? They risked a $600 device to people they don't even know. You should be greatful that some people were willing to test and spend alot of time helping to improve the process. It is also nice to have several different people proving that it works. It is also important that people are starting S-OFF only threads like the splash screen thread. If work on that stuff doesn't start now, everyone is gonna S-OFF their device when the process is released and have nothing to do with it. It will be a hurry up and wait situation. It is also MUCH less annoying than your continued complaints about not having AOSP, the continued pestering of developers on how RIL is going, and the general vibe that I get from you about how you would have rather had a Nexus. Please just wait patiently. If you don't agree with me, please take it to PM, I am happy to talk with you there. However we need to get this back on topic.
    So i cleaned the thread.

I would rather not have to do it again.

So how about from here on out you take your trolling of one another to PM. If you have an issue that you can't get worked out or you think someone is doing something they shouldn't get a hold of a moderator. This is a much better idea than trying to prove people wrong or prove that you have the biggest e-peen.

The "issue" is currently handled, please continue with the rest of your evening.