Q: Backing up SGS3

Search This thread

arkane78

Jan 5, 2013
I have a stock I9300, un-rooted and up until 3 weeks ago had been happily using ADB and Samsung Kies to backup my phone.
Then the wonderful thing called Kies 3 happened - and since then I've not managed to get a single backup out of it.

It seems to backup some things but my applications it fails on yet won't tell me WHICH application is causing the issue (or if it's just Kies being Kies).

I'd like to be able to take backups of everything on my phone - something like Kies + ADB together, I know that with my phone being un-rooted, that application settings/data will not get backed up - I'm not sure what else wouldn't. But I'd rather not root my device.

What I'm asking for are recommendations for a SINGLE backup solution that would allow me to backup my phone to my PC, so that that can be included in my PC backups.

It's probably asking a lot just to find a single solution for this, I'd be happy with 2 solutions to achieve my aim as long as both of them worked together and backed up to the PC.

I'm happy enough to keep using ADB, except ADB doesn't backup SMS/MMS and ADB's Restore functionality is not at all granular - it's more like a 'my phone is boned, restore the entire thing' rather than restoring part of it.

If you recommend that I root my phone in order to get the single solution backup then I'd be happy to consider it. (If I were to root my phone, would restoring it or upgrading firmware be an issue from that point on - assuming I didn't want to use anything but stock firmware?)

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated, I'm going to take a look at Helium and see what that can do for me, although I'd prefer a PC-based backup solution.

arkane78

Jan 5, 2013
Unrooted try Helium .

I've just tried Helium, it didn't work well - the desktop client/web interface never appeared in my IE10 or Firefox 25, so couldn't actually backup to PC. Another concern with it was it didn't explicitly say it backed up MMS, only SMS.

Does it do both?