[Q] Xperia Z's Audio DAC ?

Search This thread

AmberBoy

Jan 19, 2013
Odp: [Q] Xperia Z's Audio DAC ?

Agree with you, sometimes I miss a call because of this silent speaker in T. Thanks for the reply.

Wysyłane z mojego LT30p za pomocą Tapatalk 2

RCJ89

Oct 5, 2012
london, UK
Agree with you, sometimes I miss a call because of this silent speaker in T. Thanks for the reply.

Wysyłane z mojego LT30p za pomocą Tapatalk 2
No worries. I was really disappointed by the T tbh, alot of things wrong with it. Poor Battery, low volume on audio when outside, low volume on earpiece, low speaker volume.

meaien

Jan 15, 2013
Loudness doesnt state that the audio quality is good even galaxy note 2 has a quite sound but you can mod that and it is said that it has wolfson dac the main question here is what dac is sony using for the xperia Z is it going to be the same from sony walkman F? to make it a good portable DAP

AayushDhuria

Oct 1, 2011
If Z's DAC is the qualcomm one only, then i'm not getting it. I'm an audiophile and I listen to music like 5-6hours per day on phone.

KNEL623.png

RCJ89

Oct 5, 2012
london, UK
I know loudness alone doesn't set the audio quality boundry but thats the general issue I have found with the S/T they have great audio quality but just not loud enough. On the other hand htc one x/s for example the audio is ok but the phones are loud. samsuck just suck.
The note 2/s3 audio was poor tbh and people were banging on about wolfson DAC.
They were only good when used with external music players like power amp in my case, volume from normal music player was extremely low when you put it on bass boost (dont even know why they call it that might aswell call in bass reducer), even worse was when you had it on custom yes there was bass but where was the volume?. Only time it was sort of loud was on normal. Audio on sony phones is much clearer and theres more bass.

RCJ89

Oct 5, 2012
london, UK
Sorry if this sounds stupid but which chart actually measures the loudness of the phone is it noise level?
the reason I ask is because on gsm arena they will have some phones for exapmple with -82 and say its on the quiet side and then like the htc 8x and 8s with -82/83 and say it is one of the loudest phones they have ever heard. I know the sgs3 and GN2 have -90 but phones like the xperia play/arc with -89 seem louder. Also the one x got -82 and is much louder than the s3 and gn2.

ethan3686

Aug 19, 2009
India
Sorry if this sounds stupid but which chart actually measures the loudness of the phone is it noise level?
the reason I ask is because on gsm arena they will have some phones for exapmple with -82 and say its on the quiet side and then like the htc 8x and 8s with -82/83 and say it is one of the loudest phones they have ever heard. I know the sgs3 and GN2 have -90 but phones like the xperia play/arc with -89 seem louder. Also the one x got -82 and is much louder than the s3 and gn2.

I ABSOLUTELY agree with this..I have seen gsmarena give low scores to so many phones and they turned out to be loud when i used them with headphone..A classic comparison is S3 VS ONE X..S3 is supposed to be -91 and ONE X is -82..Yet when i played music on them using my same pair of sennheiser earbuds, the ONE x was musch louder than S3.

Akiainavas

Mar 26, 2012
Basingstoke
I ABSOLUTELY agree with this..I have seen gsmarena give low scores to so many phones and they turned out to be loud when i used them with headphone..A classic comparison is S3 VS ONE X..S3 is supposed to be -91 and ONE X is -82..Yet when i played music on them using my same pair of sennheiser earbuds, the ONE x was musch louder than S3.

-82db is louder than -91db. So the One X was supposed to be louder according to those numbers. They go the other way untill 0db.

Last edited:

RCJ89

Oct 5, 2012
london, UK
But they list iphone as the least [-92] and its the loudest!

Exactly thats why it is confusing because if its supposed to be the lower value thats louder, then I have seen some lg phones with -76 and they say the volume is very low.
Which is why I have never understood GSM arena scores because the sgs3 is rated -90 which is the same there abouts as the one s yet the one s is muccccchhhh louder, infact the one s is louder than the one x aswell which again makes this scoring system strange.
As I mentioned already the 8S/8X are rated around -82 and they say they are the loudest phones ever tested but yet the iphones which are extremely loud aswell get -92 whats going on.

RCJ89

Oct 5, 2012
london, UK
Another thing i have just looked up is the One X+ which is so loud its unreal, they claim it only has average volume level and rated -82.4 but yet the 8X is one of the loudest phones around rated at -83.2 thats hardly any difference in rating there. They say the oppo find 5 at -82 has good volume levels, the 8S with -79.7 is the loudest phone bar the nokia n91 and the optimus 4x hd with a -74.8 is way below average.

ethan3686

Aug 19, 2009
India
is the xperia z as loud , if not more than the iphone 5? anyone tested both with headphones/earbuds.

smaghe

Sep 26, 2008
Paris
I'll try to speak to supercurio, hoping he'll tell me a lot more !
I think it's not really a matter of volume output only, but rather a function of both volume and frequency, which would result in measuring the sound distortion.
I'm not really sure, so I'll keep you posted about it.
Also, does anyone know what "walkman" is ? Is it some kind of post processing or does it affect hardware too ?

Thanks in advance !

ethan3686

Aug 19, 2009
India
I'll try to speak to supercurio, hoping he'll tell me a lot more !
I think it's not really a matter of volume output only, but rather a function of both volume and frequency, which would result in measuring the sound distortion.
I'm not really sure, so I'll keep you posted about it.
Also, does anyone know what "walkman" is ? Is it some kind of post processing or does it affect hardware too ?

Thanks in advance !

that would be great man! keep posting here only.

AayushDhuria

Oct 1, 2011
That is pretty contradictory... Audiophiles in general listen on dedicated players or even dedicated players with a separate portable amplifier. All phones in general sound pretty bad.
Well yes, I do have a separate media player but i don't always have the time to charge it in and carry around all day. I listen to music while multi tasking on phone in a train, imagine the hassle of taking care of an extra device, changing songs and then, well it's pain in ass. I know you're a Sony fan but come on, it has nothing to do with Sony, It's about Qualcomm's DAC. I have pretty decent Sennheiser headphones. Try listening to music on a phone that has wolfson DAC, using power amp, and custom libs for music tweaks (i got my own custom) with decent headphones, it'll be as good as any portable media player. I even have the over rated beats headset. And BTW, my portable media player is a Sony Walkman :)

If it's about Samsung's stock fkd up media player n sound on headset, well I can solve that myself, but I can't replace a DAC.

kelah

Nov 18, 2011

It's noise level. It measure how much noise there is, not loudness.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well yes, I do have a separate media player but i don't always have the time to charge it in and carry around all day. I listen to music while multi tasking on phone in a train, imagine the hassle of taking care of an extra device, changing songs and then, well it's pain in ass. I know you're a Sony fan but come on, it has nothing to do with Sony, It's about Qualcomm's DAC. I have pretty decent Sennheiser headphones. Try listening to music on a phone that has wolfson DAC, using power amp, and custom libs for music tweaks (i got my own custom) with decent headphones, it'll be as good as any portable media player. I even have the over rated beats headset. And BTW, my portable media player is a Sony Walkman :)

If it's about Samsung's stock fkd up media player n sound on headset, well I can solve that myself, but I can't replace a DAC.

Well,

I usually listen from my PC, which surprisingly enough has a pretty good DAC. I only really listen with quite neutral studio monitor IEMs since I like my sound balanced. MDR-7550's specifically. My portable source of choice is my Walkman X-series with an S-Master amplifier. As comparison material I also have the Xperia S and used to have the Xperia T.

From my short listening sessions (pure observations, no measurements) I concluded the Xperia Z is better than both the S and T. Stereo separation seems to be better, lows have more body and highs are a tiny bit clearer. In general compared to all my sources the Z is mainly a little too smooth. I like my mids and highs textured and detailed and that was a little lacking on the Z.

I'm quite happy with the sound quality overall, and thanks to the great Walkman app (with FLAC and Last.fm support) I might use it as main portable player when I get a big enough SD card.

And yes, it is sufficiently loud but not extreme. Around the same as the S and T (which is more than loud enough for me).

Sent from my ? using xda premium
    Hi all !
    Does anyone happen to know how good the DAC is on the Z ?
    Thanks !

It's integrated in S4pro chip, just like N4 and OG
    Can I ask...

You're all talking about loudness. To me, loudness is a DSP feature I don't want, because it artificially enhances treble and bass, but not the mids. Do you actually mean loudness, or are you talking about volume?

Regardless, I've never heard any Walkman devices (mp3 players or phones) that sound bad. Sony have their audio and video software pretty well sewn up by now.

We are all talking about high volume levels..That means how loud the sound is on Earphones/earbuds...Not distortion level loud..The loudness it can handle without distortion in sound.
    If the rumours are right then both the HTC One and SGS4 will use Snapdragon 600's, which most likely use the same DAC and everything as the Xperia Z - so they'll probably sound similar too.

There just isn't enough internal space to add a proper DAC and amplifier that really offers better sound quality. And nobody really cares either, I call myself a mild audiophile, have a lot of high-end dedicated players and IEM's and the difference between using a good player and my Xperia Z is actually not all that big (at all).

If you really want sound quality while on the go you need one of these:
    http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-audio/cat-headphones/product-PHA1/ - they work with the Xperia Z.