[Q] Warranty worth it ?

Search This thread

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
It comes with warranty anyway. I don't expect to use it much after warranty expires.

Insurance in the other hand, for me - yes! Accidental damage, theft and loss. Im inlucky so the peace of mind is worth it. Not everyone is the same

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Closingracer

Aug 10, 2013
Well the one I am considering is the squaretade one which doesn't cover loss and theft and while I am covered currently with one of AT&T I am moving to t-mobile because it is cheaper per month and they don't sell insurance on devices you bring with you and in my case the nexus 5 I bought on the play store

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
So you're asking if insurance is worth it? Not warranty (manufacturing defects)... but the insurance doesn't cover loss or theft? What does it cover? Accidental damage only?

jeffsf

Mar 7, 2011
San Francisco
The "extended warranty" that is sold is one of the highest profit items for a retailer.

Same goes for the "equipment protection plans" or whatever they call them these days.

Figure what the chance of you using the plan/insurance is over the couple of years your phone is worth replacing. Remember that they will probably replace it with a "refurb" and not a new phone. Multiply the chance of you using it by about $200. (A new Nexus is $400, will probably be worth $200 in a year or two, and $100 not long after that.) That $8 a month is about $100 a year. In two years, you could have held onto the cash and, if something happened to your phone, easily bought a replacement yourself, or used the $200 to trade up to your next shiny object.

As pointed out above, even if you do buy it, what does it really cover?

Last edited:

Closingracer

Aug 10, 2013
The "extended warranty" that is sold is one of the highest profit items for a retailer.

As pointed out above, even if you do buy it, what does it really cover?

Covers damage which is what I care about.... $75 deductible is much cheaper then paying $455 after taxes to buy myself another nexus 5(32gb).. Better question is the nexus 5 durable to survive minor drops?

Closingracer

Aug 10, 2013
Covers damage which is what I care about.... $75 deductible is much cheaper then paying $455 after taxes to buy myself another nexus 5(32gb).. Better question is the nexus 5 durable to survive minor drops?

Are you sure about that?

When I went to the website and looked at pricing of plans and picked bring my own device it didn't give me an option to pick jump plan or a equipment protection plan at all