root, USB mass storage, win7 64...where to begin

Search This thread

macem29

Mar 30, 2014
first post at this /dev forum, will endeavor to not noob it out too bad...
migrating from iphone, purchased SG3 SGH-1747M, appears to be an ex-Bell phone, has some Bell bloat on it
have an older HTC droid that identifies without any BS in mass storage mode to windows XP an 7
migrating from iphone and dreaded itunes I was disgusted that my SGH-1747M was not so plug and play
win7 will not see this thing or the external SD, MTP device errors, tried installing microsoft MTP porting package,
Samsung USB drivers, and the dreaded Kies (if I wanted a manufacturer supported sync POS I'd stayed with apple)
all to no avail, this plastic phone does not exist on my PC....

onto reading and hopefully not bricking, app called SG USB mass storage enabler, requires root and busybox apparently,
no biggie, got the thing rooted with chainfires tool, intalled busybox and SG USB...and I'm the proud owner of a new external
CD drive.....&@%!*$ useless!!!

more reading, apparently there's a fix for write protection that can be flashed to resolve this issue, requires root...
I have root, and there's some discussion of a trip counter I think it is? who gives a crap abut that? is it a warranty thing?
I would like to not brick this thing but if so I'm sure it'll get many more skips across the lake that my iphone would..

so to bring this all home, my SGH-1747M on what appears to a Bell firmware now rooted needs to have the write protect
patch flashed to it with clockworks and I am reluctant to brick it...anyone suggest a way forward??

macem29

Mar 30, 2014
51 views, no replies....got clockworks installed on this plastic POS with the gorgeous screen,
booted to CW recovery and attempted to flash from zip the write protect patch that is supposed
to fix the CD mode in USB mass storage...no dice, failed to install, prolly a good thing

macem29

Mar 30, 2014
24 hours later...114 views....bricked it....well a soft brick I guess

helloooooo.....crickets....

factory restore, root is gone, for now, but this plastic POS is alive again

I'm thinking with a few practice throws side arm, anyone remember Dan Quisenberry?

should get me at least 6 good skips