[Q] What's next? Life after the Captivate...

Search This thread

cbasse

I figure many of us are facing the same dilemma here...

Like many of you, the Captivate was my first Android phone. Being an AT&T customer, it was my (our) only choice back in the summer of 2010 and I (we) jumped on it and, besides some ocassional frustrations, haven't looked back since (other than "GPS-Gate", I've (we've) been extremely happy with the "Cappy"). :D

In March I'll (we'll) be eligible for an upgrade with AT&T and I'm (we're) starting to wrestle with the question of what to do next...

Should I (we) stay loyal to AT&T and see what phones they have available/will soon be availble? The SGSII (Skyrocket) looks good, but there's bound to be something new available in a couple of months.

Or, should I (we) jump ship to another carrier (Verizon, T-Mo, Sprint) and have an even better selection of phones to choose from?

So, do any of you have any suggestions or advice? What are you going to do when your contract is up with AT&T? Is Verizon, T-Mobile, or "insert-carrier-name-here" a better carrier to be with (pricing, selection, service, coverage, etc.) than AT&T? Anyone have any experience with the other carriers you could share? Or, is it best to sit tight until after February and see what new phones are on the horizon (SGSIII, something else)???

Ultimately, the plan is to do something within the next 3 to 6 months...just not sure what the right move would be.

I (we) thank you for your comments/thoughts/advice/other! :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: herofmm

Cor-master

Apr 16, 2011
Indianapolis IN
I keep hoping for the Galaxy Nexus, but its not looking too promising. Of whats coming out as of now what I like the best, and what I find the most intriguing is the Sony Xperia Ion. 1.6 dual-core, 12MP camera, 4.7 inch "Bravia HD" LED backlit LCD. Build quality is supposedly worlds ahead of current Xperias. Its the new phone to usher in a new era of "Sony" phones, no more "sony ericsson". Oh and its playstation certified too, and this will blow your mind, a DEDICATED CAMERA BUTTON! I really don't get how manufacturers are so forgetful to include this one useful button.

Hope that helps. there is one downside to this phone however. Its running gingerbread. I was really hoping to see some newer ICS phones with no buttons at CES, but sadly they were all gingerbread. I don't get this really. Its like if HP released a whole line of laptops with Vista on them! Honestly we all know now after 2 years don't buy an android phone with an outdated version of the OS that promises an "upgrade" because you'll be waiting a while, in fact by the time you get your update, it'll be outdated itsself. Me personally I know next I'd like to get a phone I can leave stock and be happy with it, so I'd prefer to have something with ICS pre-installed on it. But as for the Xperia Ion, its still a bit before its released from my understanding, and the one they had at CES was pre-production and actually had ericsson branding on it, so maybe they'll update it before it launches.

Last edited:

fiveoneooo

Sep 8, 2010
I'm looking at that galaxy note personally. Its rumored to be released on Feb 18 here in the states, I'm probably going to wait for mobile congress convention that happens late in Feb because quite a few new phones should be released.
As for carriers I think they are all pretty much the same. Sprint won't have unlimited once they go lte so it will be just like att and Verizon and such

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda premium

flyence

Jan 26, 2012
Hangzhou
As for me, if a phone has Mms, Phone and GPS, it's enough.But the GPS of Captivate in china is not promising. It can only be accurate to 10m in China. So i also wanna change a phone in several months. My first Android phone is Milestone.Its GPS is excellent. So i may choose Motorola. But as we all know, the screen is worse. It's not cool. I also feel puzzled.

fiveoneooo

Sep 8, 2010
Well being 6'4 makes the note not that big and it will fit just fine in any pants that I wear.

orb_526

Aug 20, 2010
I have the exact same problem but even worse, I am eligible right now! I have to stay on AT&T because it is what my company uses. My cappy is actually running really nice right now on Saurom KK4 so I can hold on if I must. A couple people at work have the Skyrocket and it is nice but I am very hesitant to get a Touchwiz phone on AT&T again as the update delays are ridiculous. I also have a Xoom which is a GED and nice to have vanilla ICS already. I would love a Nexus but don't see that out will ever come to this carrier. At this point I am waiting to see what the Skyrocket HD looks like. I can't wait for the GS3 because even if it will be announced soon we all know how long it will take to come here. I work with someone with an imported Note and it is really nice but a little too big considering I also have a tablet. I just don't get exited about any other phones but I really want a new gadget. Quite the dilemma...

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

shawnl01

Apr 1, 2009
I've been converted

Waiting for Lumia 900. I've been converted and promised my kids the Captivate so I don't have to buy them an ipod.

cbasse

After getting somewhat burned by the Captivate, is anyone hesitant to get another Samsung phone? Also, if you're waiting for the SGS3, are you concerned at all about getting it right after launch without letting it get "tested" in the marketplace first? I mean, we know what it felt like to be early-adopters with the Captivate and having the accompanying headaches that came as a result... Not sure I'm in a hurry to be in that position again (actually, I just got the Asus Transformer Prime and I'm now having a new set of GPS issues)...

Also, I suppose we'll have to just wait and see, but has anyone heard rumors of any Samsung-killers being announced next month?

Last edited:

MikeyMike01

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 23, 2010
I am waiting for a 4" 300 ppi non-pentile phone.

redeuxx

Aug 31, 2010
USA
ribbed.us
My contract is up in March as well. SGS2 is nice, but when I get it, it'll already be several months old so I'm going to try looking forward and perhaps waiting. We'll see when March comes around. I've been happy with my Captivate but I'd really like a phone where GPS worked and something I'd be happy with just root and not have to resort to other ROMs to be satisfied with.

wildkarrde21

Jul 25, 2010
Are you talking any ics build or a specific rom

I don't know which ROM he's referring to specifically, but I'm on TeamHacksung's ICS (Build 15). The GPS locks on sooo quickly and is fairly accurate to boot. It's definitely breathed new life into my Cap and it'll make it easier to wait until March for a new phone.

As for the OP's question, I will say that I'm not sure, but these seem to be my options so far:

• Galaxy Note: It's nice spec-wise, but I'm going to have to play with it in person to see if I can handle a 5.3" phone. No phallic jokes please :)
  • Galaxy Nexus: I know we don't have a release date, but there is always the (expensive) option of buying the international version. After getting burned by Samsung/AT&T's incredibly delayed updates, I'm finding I really want a stock Google experience, especially with ICS out now. There are always the amazing devs to turn to, but it can be a frustrating experience sometimes.
  • ASUS PadFone: A phone that also plugs into a tablet form factor? YES, please! Unfortunately, no release date or carrier announcement, but I would jump on this in a second.
  • SGS 2 or Skyrocket: While these are "old" tech, they're still really nice dual core phones. I think the jump from single to dual will be a lot more noticeable than dual to quad in terms of experience. Plus they should be even cheaper by the time I upgrade and the dev support (for the SGS2, at least) is awesome.
  • Jump to another carrier: unfortunately, AT&T gives the best company discount for me, so jumping carriers isn't really an option, but you never know.
  • Other phone: I'll probably end up researching other phones, but I've been partial to Samsung just because they do make great phones. But I won't rule out something amazing coming from Sony/HTC/Asus in the next few months.

So in short, I have no idea! :)

gattman

Jan 24, 2011
After a year and a half with the original cappy, I've moved on to the Captivate Glide because I like physical keyboards. I am considering the Note depending on what I hear when its released, but I also plan to wait for the SGS III before making a decision on my next phone.

kangi26

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 8, 2006
Seattle
I have one of the first build Cappy's and I've LOVED every min of owning it. I know the time is coming soon for me too. I'll be staying with AT&T, I've been really happy with the service here in Seattle. There are 3 devices that have my eye. The Sony Ion, The SGSIII, and the Nexus Prime. All of which have some amazing specs.

In my opinion, Samsung had some issues with the GPS, and, (IMHO) had some bad timing on the software releases. Honestly that didn't really affect me much, I ran custom ROM's from the moment they were released, and regardless of which device I choose, I'll do the same with it. I've run Froyo/GB and now ICS as soon as the dev's did their magic. And will ALWAYS do the same whichever device I choose. Actually, I just might choose a device the stands to get amazing dev response just for the longevity

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 PM ----------

After a year and a half with the original cappy, I've moved on to the Captivate Glide because I like physical keyboards. I am considering the Note depending on what I hear when its released, but I also plan to wait for the SGS III before making a decision on my next phone.

I hear the Note is scheduled for release Feb 18 to AT&T

Last edited:

MDMonster

Dec 21, 2010
I personally think the Galaxy Note would be heavenly :D . I don't use my cappy as a phone but more as a pmp (personal media player) and think a 5" pmp would be heaven.

Sent from Monster Droid

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Captivate feels small alright, but Galaxy Note is very very big....I played with ATT's note couple of times but always got disappointed by the size....I agree with LTE speed...thats why I am thinking abt skyrocket now...

The note is pretty, but yeah, it's much larger than the Captivate. If you almost want a tablet, then I think it will be good, but otherwise it might be too big to fit in your pocket.

gs-vs-note.jpg

The person I'm sitting next to, whose Note is pictured, says, "it's fine" (regarding fitting in a pocket).
    Regarding the Note...I'm leaning towards getting one this month after I saw Samsung offers the same car mount that they have for the Captivate. It has a great snap-in feel and the sliding USB connection (Power + Audio) is simple and very functional. Since they have a similar offering for the Note I'm ready to jump on it.

My questions:

1. Can anyone vouch for the Google Nav performance of the Note? I can vouch that my Captivate is complete crap when trying to use Navigation in the car.

2. How is audio quality compared to the Captivate? I know it's subjective, but I have a picky ear and would appreciate any comparisons.

3. Any concerns about call quality with the Note? My Captivate shines here...

4. How is the overall feel for quality? Buttons, bezel, battery door, usb port, etc...

Edit: I should add that I played with one in the AT&T store but it's not the same as using a device day-to-day.

I have only had the Note for a couple days so I can only give you my impressions of a Captivate user since launch and going through 4 of them using warranty and insurance.

1. I can completely vouch for the GPS performance on the Note. It is awesome. Locks in under 5 seconds. Locks to 10+ satellites in around 10 seconds. I am not aware of anyone having GPS problems with the Note. I was able to use Nav in my previous Captivates, but GPS was always finicky ... the GPS on the Note is solid.

2/3 - The call and sound quality are pretty good. Nothing to complain about if you are coming from the Captivate. The external speaks are noticeably louder ... which is great since you tend to look like an asshat when holding the Note to your head and not using speakerphone or an earpiece.

4 - The build quality is similar to the Captivate. The screen still uses Gorilla Glass and it feels solid overall. My only complaint as far as build quality goes is the backplate seems kinda flimsy. You have to "rip" it off to get at the innards and it wasn't solid like the Captivate's. It feels fine when it is attached to the Captivate though.

Just to add ... my real issue is the size although I believe I'll get used to it and wanted the size or else I would have gotten a Galaxy S2.
    I figure many of us are facing the same dilemma here...

Like many of you, the Captivate was my first Android phone. Being an AT&T customer, it was my (our) only choice back in the summer of 2010 and I (we) jumped on it and, besides some ocassional frustrations, haven't looked back since (other than "GPS-Gate", I've (we've) been extremely happy with the "Cappy"). :D

In March I'll (we'll) be eligible for an upgrade with AT&T and I'm (we're) starting to wrestle with the question of what to do next...

Should I (we) stay loyal to AT&T and see what phones they have available/will soon be availble? The SGSII (Skyrocket) looks good, but there's bound to be something new available in a couple of months.

Or, should I (we) jump ship to another carrier (Verizon, T-Mo, Sprint) and have an even better selection of phones to choose from?

So, do any of you have any suggestions or advice? What are you going to do when your contract is up with AT&T? Is Verizon, T-Mobile, or "insert-carrier-name-here" a better carrier to be with (pricing, selection, service, coverage, etc.) than AT&T? Anyone have any experience with the other carriers you could share? Or, is it best to sit tight until after February and see what new phones are on the horizon (SGSIII, something else)???

Ultimately, the plan is to do something within the next 3 to 6 months...just not sure what the right move would be.

I (we) thank you for your comments/thoughts/advice/other! :cool:
    Actually I'm quite happy with my cappy. Never had any issues, I'm running the same operating system available currently only on the Gnex. I get a good 15 hours of heavy use from the battery and my job pays for the bill. Other than not having a front facing camera there is not really any other phone on the market that does something mine doesn't. Maybe they do it a tad faster but hell, if I need that much speed I use my home computer. This is in the end still a phone. And still way faster than driving around looking for a pay phone that works.

Yes I remember those days

Sent from my Captivate running ICS 4.0 with ICS NOVA launcher
    The backplate on the note seems flimsy but it reminds me very much of the feel of the vibrant plate. While the design is different the feel is similar. I have to say the vibrant is still kicking along and the back hasn't snapped or anything.

Generally I've found the build quality to be good and think this is a perception issue more than something which will really be a problem.